PDA

View Full Version : Flygon:

phaedrus
30th March 2004, 06:13 PM
Hey I'm raising a Trapinch into a Flygon.

Anybody have a MS?

thanks. :wave:

drizzt
30th March 2004, 06:24 PM
Flygon

-Earthquake
-Fire blast
-Giga drain/Crunch
-Dragon Claw

Choose giga drain or Crunch but it really depends on what else u have on ur team so pick whichever is best for u.

rinku
30th March 2004, 08:09 PM
Crunch is not optional. Reasons?

Lunatone
Solrock
Claydol
Duskull
Chimecho
Xatu
Latios
Latias
Gardevoir with Trace
Alakazam with Role Play

and several others not found in Ruby/Sapphire. Levitiate is almost exclusively found on Psychics. As a backup for Earthquake, Crunch is the best move he has.

Choose his *other* moves based on the team coverage, but keep Crunch. I'm not sure what advantage Giga Drain has for him - his Earthquake will do more damage to most targets you would use GD on. Fire Blast is good, but so is Flamethrower. If he has a +Attack personality and effort, consider Aerial Ace or Fly instead of a fire move. That only leaves him somewhat weak vs Skarmory. I think that would be considered acceptable.

ShockingAlberto
30th March 2004, 08:44 PM
Breed in Aerial Ace. You need a good flying move and at least one thing besides Earthquake to take advantage of Flygon's Atk > Sp. Atk.

-- ShockingAlberto

rinku
30th March 2004, 10:44 PM
If you only have access to Ruby/Sapphire pokémon, you will not be able to breed in Aerial Ace from outside the Bug breeding group that the Trapinch family belong to. If you haven't yet used Aerial Ace in the bugs, you might as well use it directly on a male Flygon.

Best practice is usually to use it on a male Beautifly or Dustox so that you can breed Silver Wind and Aerial Ace onto the Bug/Flying types, though.

Shuckle
31st March 2004, 03:16 PM
You could go -

Ground/Dragon
Flamethrower (TM)
Dragon Claw (TM)
Earthquake (TM)
Crunch

OR

@lefovers
nature: - Sattack +attack or +speed
-sand tomb
-sand storm
-toxic (TM)
-earthquake (TM)

OR one day (given the right non RS pkmn) you might be able to go -

@lefovers
nature: - Sattack +attack or +speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- ? / Iron Tail
- Rest

Flamethrower to defend against ice weakness is not that effective, almost all ice pokemons are part water and a lot of water pokemon can learn ice beam , so flamethrower is pretty useless, and flygon sp.attack isn`t great, so perhaps its better that earthquake doesn´t have 'super effective' but gets stab and more power...

phaedrus
31st March 2004, 03:21 PM
From what I've seen, all Flygon can really do is physically sweep. I was wondering if there are any Hazing or Psuedohazing Pokes that could possibly fill his role?

rinku
31st March 2004, 06:03 PM
Flygon is indeed a physical sweeper, but it's not utterly weak in special attack either.

However it is no Salamence. Crunch is the only special attack it really has to have (for the reason given above). Dragon Dance would be sweet, but since it is not an Egg Move for Trapinch or a TM, it ain't gonna happen.

Earthquake
Crunch
Fly/Aerial Ace
Return/Hyper Beam

Seem to work about the best. It is best fighting other Dragons with Fly or Return, unless you want to burn a Dragon Claw. Its super effective Dragon Breath will do less damage than its Return, defenses and attack effort being equal. Vs the Latis it is better using Return then even Dragon Claw, since they have significantly lower Defense than Special Defense.

Sir Chris
1st April 2004, 01:41 AM
advice: use salamance instead of flygon, its better in every damn way
but if you insist

dragon dance
earthquake
hp rock
fire blast

or if you do not want to use this online... aerial ace unless there is some silly reason you can not do this... then use return or wtf ever you want

aklso crunch isn't an option, its too weak in its special defensive ways for it to be anoption. period. for you even to consider it an option is sad.

rinku
1st April 2004, 04:59 PM
Flygon's Earthquake is more powerful than Salamance's, due to STAB:

Salamence: Base 135 Attack x base 100 power = 13500
Flygon: Base 100 Atack x 1.5 STAB x base 100 power = 15000

Also, Earthquake can be bred onto Trapinch, while to get EQ on a Salamence you have to use a unique TM.

Salamance is also not immune to Electrical attacks, and is vulnerable to Rock, which Flygon is resistant to. Salamence is resistant to Grass, Fighting & Bug, which affect Flygon normally.

But I agree in general that Salamance is more powerful.

-Niceandsmooth-
1st April 2004, 04:59 PM
how are you guys planning on getting Aerial Ace on Flygon??

also cb flygon is pretty sweet:

@choice band
-eq
-return
-hp~rock~
-quick attack

Ma-jin Vegeta
1st April 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by -Niceandsmooth-
how are you guys planning on getting Aerial Ace on Flygon??

Aerial Ace is a TM, you know. Now, I dunno if he can learn it or not. If he can't, the only option is the ever-frustrating-to-get Hidden Power Flying. If he can't learn it through TM, odds are he can't learn it through breeding either.

GirlRepellant
1st April 2004, 06:57 PM
Well, the moveset I'm planning on using for my Flygon is
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Earthquake
Rock Tomb/Aerial Ace?/Fly

What are all the decent physical attacks that Flygon can learn, 'cause everyone talks about how it's much better as a physical sweeper, but it doesn't seem like he learns all that many good physical moves...

rinku
1st April 2004, 07:41 PM
Flygon is a top-line physical sweeper only with Earthquake, due to STAB - with other moves it's merely good, and will be outclassed by Salamence.

It can learn:

Hyper Beam (TM or level up)
Quick Attack (egg move)
Gust (egg move)
HP-Something (TM)
Frustration (TM)
Earthquake (TM)
Return (TM)
Dig (TM)
Rock Tomb (TM)
Facade (TM)
Secret Power (TM)
Strength (HM)
Rock Smash (HM)

All the above can be bred on, as Trapinch learns them. In additon, Flygon can learn the following from TM:

Iron Tail
Steel Wing

and from HM:

Fly.

I don't know why I thought it could learn Aerial Ace - my bad. Earthquake and Return are really all it needs in terms of physical power - Crunch covers it for everything except Skarmory, against whom you just have to put up with a half-power Return. Fly is a valid choice for the last slot, as it has some trouble vs Grass and Bug, especially for in-game use. Return or EQ will usually be a better anti-ice move than the two Steel options, and there isn't much other reason to include one (Aerodactyl??).

Screech (natural move) may be worth considering. One Screech and it would be hitting harder than Salamence.