PDA

View Full Version : NES, Halo, and GTA

The Muffin Man
29th March 2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
WHO WILL BUY THOSE GAMES? When I was about 5 or 7 I had a NES and a SNES, SNES was okay but the NES was horrible. I am not going to pay 10$ or 30$ for Excitebike or Mario. Sheesh sounds like a rip off to me. If they won't to bring back great old systems they should bring back the not so old Dreamcast!

...You have 10 minutes to tell me a sane response to your calling the NES horrible...

Or I can label you a non-gamer, and give you some Halo and GTA to play with. Hows that sound?

RAZ EDIT: We can all argue the merits of games new and old in another thread.

Razola
29th March 2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
...You have 10 minutes to tell me a sane response to your calling the NES horrible...

Or I can label you a non-gamer, and give you some Halo and GTA to play with. Hows that sound?
You have 10 minutes to tell me a sane response to your calling Halo and GTA horrible.

Or I can label you a non-gamer, and give you some Bloodrayne and PN03 to play with. How's that sound?

Crazy
30th March 2004, 04:09 PM

1. Halo rocks and 2. GTA in my opinion is overrated. My sane response is that even while it is old that doesn't get rid of the fact that the graphics keep it from being decent. I mean don't expect great graphics I play Animal Crossing, and Blue Version. Both of those have craptastic visuals, but a game needs a certain amount of GRAPHICAL POWER to keep it interesting! I can't watch crappily drawn characters(to a certain extent) supposedly fighting or boxing or even shooting balloons. That is my sane response. Plus if you enjoy the NES that much, you have a screw loose.

classy_cat18
30th March 2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
1. Halo rocks and 2. GTA in my opinion is overrated. My sane response is that even while it is old that doesn't get rid of the fact that the graphics keep it from being decent. I mean don't expect great graphics I play Animal Crossing, and Blue Version. Both of those have craptastic visuals, but a game needs a certain amount of GRAPHICAL POWER to keep it interesting! I can't watch crappily drawn characters(to a certain extent) supposedly fighting or boxing or even shooting balloons. That is my sane response. Plus if you enjoy the NES that much, you have a screw loose.

It's because we loved to play these games when we were little. It's stirs up nostalgia, and there are people that like nostalgic stuff. I'm just a little younger than Raz, but even I don't mind owning a copy of Balloon Fight that I don't have to turn on Animal Crossing to get.

PNT510
30th March 2004, 04:17 PM
It's one thing to say you don't like the NES. It's another thing for thinking someone has a screw loose for liking it. Just because other people don't care as much about the visual aspect of a game doesn't mean they're crazy.

MetalScyther
30th March 2004, 05:38 PM
There are so many things wrong with TMM's post that I don't even feel like addressing them, for instance, attempting to make fun of someone for not gaming enough not only is bad, but sounds bad. :[

Pretty sweet GBA. Reminds me of that fake NES anniversary GCN pic - it looked sweet!

The Muffin Man
30th March 2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by MetalScyther
There are so many things wrong with TMM's post that I don't even feel like addressing them, for instance, attempting to make fun of someone for not gaming enough not only is bad, but sounds bad. :[

Pretty sweet GBA. Reminds me of that fake NES anniversary GCN pic - it looked sweet!

*points to the name of the forum*

He insulted the NES. I think I made plenty of sense.

EDIT - Because Raz likes crappy games:

Originally posted by Raz
You have 10 minutes to tell me a sane response to your calling Halo and GTA horrible.
~I've played Halo. It did not impress me. All the hype it got was hardly deserved. Unless Halo 2 makes some VAST improvments, it's not gonna impress me either. GTA is even worse in the overhype department. Besides the fact that out of about 5 missions I played, they involved:
Stealing a car and destroying it(Well I'm not holding this against a game called Grand Theft Auto)
Killing some random/marked person, after getting a SPECIFIC car...Because that way they can grab the license plate.
Transporting someone somewhere, and then killing them(mix of the last two!)
And of course...chasing someone in a car and ramming them until they can't go any further...

Or I can label you a non-gamer, and give you some Bloodrayne and PN03 to play with. How's that sound?

See, there's a difference between my logic and yours.

ALL the poser gamers who buy an XBox or PS2 as a status symbol bought Halo and GTA because "OMG ITS THE BEST". They didn't buy anything based on fun, they bought it based on STATUS. Not fun, not gameplay, nothing like that. But because it was COOL. And it's people like that who look at NES or SNES or Sega or something and go "Tsh. Crappy graphics." or call Nintendo a "Kiddy" system.

MetalScyther
30th March 2004, 07:38 PM
Crazy is also 13-something and probably hasn't appreciated the NES like it can be. If he is 13 now and it is 2004 right now, at 6 years old he probably hadn't appreciated the NES like most of us could of. :]

The Muffin Man
30th March 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by MetalScyther
Crazy is also 13-something and probably hasn't appreciated the NES like it can be. If he is 13 now and it is 2004 right now, at 6 years old he probably hadn't appreciated the NES like most of us could of. :]

Age is no excuse! >:O

He needs one. Right now. Go buy him one.

PNT510
30th March 2004, 08:16 PM
Anyone who thinks Halo is over rated never played 16 player.

Razola
30th March 2004, 08:20 PM
EDIT - Because Raz likes crappy games:
Because TMM thinks I like crappy games:

See, there's a difference between my logic and yours.
There's difference, because while one can argue my logic, yours is not logic. It's elitism.

ALL the poser gamers who buy an XBox or PS2 as a status symbol bought Halo and GTA because "OMG ITS THE BEST".
"Poser gamer?" What the hell kind of nerd are you? Get your head out of your ass.

They didn't buy anything based on fun, they bought it based on STATUS.
Because playing Halo and GTA will bring wealth, fame, and girls. Right.

Not fun, not gameplay, nothing like that. But because it was COOL.
What is cool? Graphics (not GTA)? Maybe the gameplay is cool, I dunno. That statement just confuses me to no end.

And it's people like that who look at NES or SNES or Sega or something and go "Tsh. Crappy graphics." or call Nintendo a "Kiddy" system.
Older games don't age well. I can player Warcraft I these days and call it crap, but those who played it in its prime will call me an idiot for saying that. They are good games, for their time, and our nostalgia (and your rabid elitism) holds them in high regard. We know why their gameplay was, and we know what they did for the industry. People raised on Halo and GTA will go through the same thing 20 years from now, when the games of that era have the kids in awe. And us old-timers will be preaching the gospel about these pioneers.

And Halo was not good on X-Box. But it was a fine FPS on the PC.

Craig
30th March 2004, 10:07 PM
Halo and GTA have STATUS because of their gameplay, fun, graphics, everything.

Fame isn't bought in the game world... :|

HALO rocks btw:P

The Muffin Man
31st March 2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Raz
Because TMM thinks I like crappy games.

There's difference, because while one can argue my logic, yours is not logic. It's elitism.
~No it's logic.

[/b]
"Poser gamer?" What the hell kind of nerd are you? Get your head out of your ass.
~I'm a Gamer. Don't deny that people pretend they are too. I've seen it happen just about everywhere. "OMG I PLAY FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL I'M A GAMER"

[/b]
Because playing Halo and GTA will bring wealth, fame, and girls. Right.
~It'll make you look "mad cool". I never said it made sense.

[/b]
What is cool? Graphics (not GTA)? Maybe the gameplay is cool, I dunno. That statement just confuses me to no end.
~Yes. Pretty games sell apparently. Give me good ol' Earthbound any day...

Older games don't age well. I can player Warcraft I these days and call it crap, but those who played it in its prime will call me an idiot for saying that. They are good games, for their time, and our nostalgia (and your rabid elitism) holds them in high regard. We know why their gameplay was, and we know what they did for the industry. People raised on Halo and GTA will go through the same thing 20 years from now, when the games of that era have the kids in awe. And us old-timers will be preaching the gospel about these pioneers.
~Halo and GTA didn't pioneer a damn thing. GTA may have arguably started something, but Halos just like 98% of the FPS out there. Aliens/mutant/non-human beings attack, you shoot them with guns, use their guns with an inexplicable knowledge of the weaponry, fight back, win but not really win.
Hey look it's Doom, Halflife, Castle Wolfenstein...

And Halo was not good on X-Box. But it was a fine FPS on the PC.
~That's because the XBox controller doesn't work that amazingly for FPS. Don't get me wrong, none of the controllers do and for FPS, XBox works best. But I MUCH prefer WASD to move and Mouse1 and 2 for Firing over R trigger and L trigger.
[/B]

Crazy
31st March 2004, 07:53 PM
So happy I inspired a topic. Well I shouldn't have said people had a screw loose, it's just I honestly don't see what is so great. Even when I look at the fact that the older people here grew up with it. Heck when the GB came out I didn't see what was so great. I skipped over it and bought a slightly improved GBC. So I will now leave this topic and allow you to discuss this Crazy free. :wave:

Razola
31st March 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man, who replies to quotes in the most annoying way possible
No it's logic.
If it is, it ain't much.

I'm a Gamer. Don't deny that people pretend they are too. I've seen it happen just about everywhere. "OMG I PLAY FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL I'M A GAMER"
Why do you give a damn?

It'll make you look "mad cool". I never said it made sense.
Don't give them any attention. Eventually they'll get owned at Super Mario Kart and be shunned by the "real" gamers.

Yes. Pretty games sell apparently. Give me good ol' Earthbound any day...
I did not find GTA to be that pretty.

Halo and GTA didn't pioneer a damn thing. GTA may have arguably started something, but Halos just like 98% of the FPS out there. Aliens/mutant/non-human beings attack, you shoot them with guns, use their guns with an inexplicable knowledge of the weaponry, fight back, win but not really win.
Hey look it's Doom, Halflife, Castle Wolfenstein...
GTA was a breakthrough in open-ended, non-linear gameplay. Vice City was just Rockstar trying to get another swimming pool in their houses.

Halo just improved gameplay for the FPS. Vehicles were still not used as much, and now look. Unreal is now jumping on the bandwagon, and don't be surprised if this becomes a norm in furture FPS. I do agree that Halo was overhyped (I still have 4-6 people next door to me whole play Halo all day long. Nonstop. Always at least four people on the X-Box), but it was still a fine piece of software.

PNT510
1st April 2004, 07:02 AM
Just to add onto what Raz is saying Halo did one other thing. It gave console FPS decent controls. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the first game game to add the duel Analog stick controls which are basicly what makes FPS playable on consoles.

Razola
1st April 2004, 11:47 AM
I am almost certain that the PS2 had a FPS that used them before Halo (albeit not not as well). The N64 used a similar set-up with games like Turok, only using the C buttons instead of a sticks.

Sticks are better, but still no mouse.

Heald
3rd April 2004, 01:59 PM
This post was brought to you by Mike, the most controversial subject on TPM!
ALL the poser gamersExcuse me, but can you please define poser gamer? I've heard of poser skaters, who are people who act and dress like skaters, but can't skate to save their (non-existant) lives, but a poser gamer? Are they people who dress up and act like gamers but can't actually play games? Because if they can't play games, why would they buy a console?

who buy an XBox or PS2 as a status symbol bought Halo and GTA because "OMG ITS THE BEST". They didn't buy anything based on fun, they bought it based on STATUS. Not fun, not gameplay, nothing like that. But because it was COOL.Mike. your logic is flawed here. You don't happen to find GTA fun. I respect that. That is your opinion. Here is where the logic ends and the flaws begin. You assume every person who bought GTA was only doing it to look cool. Now, why would someone buy a game?

a) Because they've come across a review giving it high acclaim.
b) Because their friends give it high acclaim.
c) Because they liked the previous game(s) and thus bought it assuming it is good (of course, this only works for sequels).

Now, look at GTA:

a) All the PS2 magazines gave it excellent reviews. This shows that the so-called 'experts' have identified as an excellent game.
b) Almost everyone I know (in fact, Mike, you're the only person I know who doesn't like it) loved it to bits. This shows that the general gaming public love it.
c) GTA 1 and 2 ruled. Everyone I know loved those games too. Even my non-gaming brother loved GTA2.

These are the reasons the game sold. People don't buy games for status, they buy games for fun. And even though you don't like it, the vast majority likes it. What is illogical is that you won't admit that the majority have bought it because they think its fun. Believe it or not Mike, no one has to share the same opinion you do.

HbCharizard
3rd April 2004, 02:28 PM
*Grabs A Warthog, and runs over TMM multiple times* I hate anybody that hates Halo!!!!
*Grabs a Shotgun and shoots TMM Multiple times* I also hate anybody that hates GTA!!!!
*Gets crazy and shoots and runs over TMM multiple times* Die you perfect game hater!

Razola
3rd April 2004, 02:30 PM
*Grabs A Warthog, and runs over TMM multiple times* I hate anybody that hates Halo!!!!
*Grabs a Shotgun and shoots TMM Multiple times* I also hate anybody that hates GTA!!!!
*Gets crazy and shoots and runs over TMM multiple times* Die you perfect game hater!
Halo is far from perfect, anyone who has played Unreal Tournament 2004 knows this.

EDIT: Also, please reduce the flames to a simmer. Not to mention actually adding some sort of point to your comments.

Heald
3rd April 2004, 02:42 PM
*Gets crazy and shoots and runs over TMM multiple times* Die you perfect game hater!You obviously don't know anything about Mike. He absorbs all flames and they add to his strength. You will pay. We shall all pay. Dearly.

HbCharizard
3rd April 2004, 02:43 PM
Meh...I'm just in a bad mood today. My dog ate my hundred dollar bill.....
Any ways, I was exxaturatting.(However you spell that) But, I still don't like people who hate my favorite games. But...I don't buy games becuz they're cool. I look at a whole lot of previews and movies before I do! Sorry if I sounded mean in any single way!

PNT510
3rd April 2004, 02:45 PM
It doesn't matter why you did it, just don't do it again.

Heald
3rd April 2004, 02:45 PM
I still don't like people who hate my favorite games.This is the exact opposite of Mike. He hates people who like games he hates. Those games happen to be Halo and GTA.

Mike hates a lot of people.

classy_cat18
4th April 2004, 06:16 PM
I didn't really like GTA (any of them) or Halo. Then again, I don't like games like those. They're not my style. I keep my violence loving to a moderate level. Now my fifteen year old brother...

*listens to his TV playing WWE Smackdown*

shazza
11th April 2004, 10:51 AM
Meh...I'm just in a bad mood today. My dog ate my hundred dollar bill.....

I hate when that happens. :mad: Anyway, I like to play old NES games either on the NES or as roms just for the main sake of nostalga. I really like Halo and I do believe GTA is a bit over-rated. I don't know what's with all your hatin on Halo, TMM. :mad2:

The Muffin Man
11th April 2004, 12:24 PM

Ya mean the Puma?

shazza
12th April 2004, 05:13 AM
No :no:, I think he does mean the Warthog, Simmons.

The Muffin Man
12th April 2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe he meant the Walrus?

PNT510
12th April 2004, 09:20 PM
I thought I told you to stop making things up!

Sarcastic Assassin
20th April 2004, 07:51 PM
Anyone who thinks Halo is over rated never played 16 player.

Which is proof TMM has no friends, nor the money to pay for Xbox Live.

TMM, do you have any idea how much of an ******* you are?

Razola
20th April 2004, 09:26 PM
Which is proof TMM has no friends, nor the money to pay for Xbox Live.
This sentence really loses its sting when you read the last part. Because Halo is, you know, not on Live.

PNT510
21st April 2004, 02:21 PM
I wish it was :(

Craig
21st April 2004, 03:24 PM
Bahaha, Red vs Blue rules.

"oh my god.. the teleporter sent me back through time"