PDA

View Full Version : Co-Writing

Darien Shields
1st April 2004, 04:47 PM
I don't hear much of this these days (maybe my ears are just closed) but I remember one or two back in the day. So, who all goes in for this sort of thing, ay? Anyone considering it?

Chris 2.1
2nd April 2004, 09:30 AM
I have never co-written, but Oz tells me it's hard. You have to meet on AIM/MSN frequently to exchange ideas or post chappies to each other, you have to AGREE (something I find hard, I'm the type who pulls out the wild cards when it comes to writing^^) and it takes a long time.

Well the Electric Buggy To Victory and Lisa The Legend Crossover's (there have been 2) were a joy to read. Those writers are an asset to this forum.

I was going to write some co-work with Subsane, but he's gone...somewhere...

Gavin Luper
2nd April 2004, 11:43 PM
When Oz and I did the EBTV-LTL crossovers, it was a completely new thing for both of us. We had to meet like ... all the time on MSN to talk, plan out, decide on things, read each other's new instalments and ultimately, agree and agree to disagree. It took a long time, too - as in months and months.

But I have to say, despite the crossovers being a lot of hard work, and requiring huge amounts of dedication, it was heaps of fun to write them. Oz is an extremely gifted writer, and it really was a pleasure to write with him. Ultimately, the crossovers were hugely challenging but hugely satisfying at the end.

So, I would recommend co-writing to anyone else, but you have to get along with your co-writer and be dedicated. It's great fun though, and it does liven up the forums!

Cheers!

mr_pikachu
3rd April 2004, 04:54 AM
Honestly, I have considered it. There are two or three writers on the forums that I think it would be a joy to co-write with. (But don't PM me and ask; I'll just give you an indiscriminate "no", regardless of what I think. That will be your punishment if you PM me about it. ;)) Right now, though, I'm WAY too busy. Schoolwork's got me bogged down, along with the three fics I've got going. When summer rolls around though, I'll definitely think more seriously about it. Until then, though, no way. Too much going on at the moment. :(

Lady Vulpix
3rd April 2004, 05:37 PM
I really enjoyed co-writing Alchemist Trials for as short as it lasted, but there are many dangers in doing such a thing. If any of the writers is too busy to keep writing or loses interest, the fic goes down. That's what happened to our fic (2 of the writers, PlatinumHawke and Shadowmew2, left TPM), and to the other co-written fic I used to read. I also co-write at the Battle Range (Adopted & Captured Pokemon subforum of PCG) and that causes a huge delay in my stories, since we can hardly ever meet online, and I've been extremely busy, but I still enjoy it a lot. So, it has ups and downs. I wouldn't start co-writing a fic again before getting done with my own because I can barely handle the things I'm doing right now. But later... I think it would be nice. :)

Dragonfree
3rd April 2004, 05:49 PM
I would love to co-write with my friend... I have to ask her sometime... but I've never tried.

FusionSonicX
3rd April 2004, 06:39 PM
I had someone who use to co-write for me but they decided to quit.

PancaKe
5th April 2004, 02:39 AM
If anybody remembers, I did cowrite a fic with Ryan a year ago. It was going to be a great fic, we were both dedicated, until our daily lives caught up with us. I suppose the thing is for a cowritten fic, it can be really good and bad at once. It's a good thing to do, but it takes a lot of dedication, time and energy. So unless you're prepared to give it your all, its going to be difficult.

~Mist

Lady Vulpix
5th April 2004, 09:34 AM
I do remember that, Tara. That was the "other co-written fic" I was referring to.

Do you remember you were a co-writer of Alchemist's Trials too?

Last Exile
5th April 2004, 09:40 AM
Co-writing requires a heck of a lot of planning. The way it's done here isn't as suited. 2 differneet styles for 2 different chapters can get very annoying. The two need to be able to work together, construct their characters,w orld and plot together, agree on the writing style, and give their input.

Darien Shields
5th April 2004, 10:16 AM
As I see it the two styles should be as the snake coiled round the Caduceus. Opposing forces combined for balance and power. Perhaps you could write intertwining plots. Or, wait, here's an idea, each writer writes from a different perspective, like, (I'm using a clichè so that everyone knows what I'm talking about) one writes a chapter from Ash's perspective, then the next is from Misty's... Just an idea. I'd like to co-write something if I could write anything right now...

Lady Vulpix
5th April 2004, 10:40 AM
I like the way Ade and I are co-writing, even if it takes a lot of time (we both tend to get carried away and write loooooong stories). Each of has has a set of characters, and we talk on AIM to define the situation and roleplay the dialogues. Then each of us saves the log and writes their part.

Tainted
15th April 2004, 06:11 PM
I've co-written once before, but it was with someone who, in all fairness, just wasn't up to par. His writing was good when he took his time, but it seemed he liked to rush often and I'm trailing on, yadda, yadda, boom...
I find I can write something with anybody of any writing style, even if the quality of writing isn't super-- as I don't think I'm that great of a writer either.

I'd like to attempt co-writing something with someone in the near future, conversing ideas and such is something I quite miss.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter