PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the Balance Badge *Spoilers*

Zak
1st April 2004, 06:18 PM
Nah, don't be confused, that's just the thread title.

But anyways, here's what seems to have happened.

Max seemed to be supporting his father and rooting AGAINST Ash all the way, and was rather unhappy to see his father lose. May was neutral, but a little more towards Ash's side.

Now, the battle:

A LOT of the R/S traits were emphasized on in this battle.

Pikachu VS Slakoth

Slakoth is fast, it's just lazy. Being lazy doesn't make someone nescessarily slow. But it was able to dodge a series of hits from Pikachu, but it's Truant trait showed. It only attacked every other turn, but it used some awesome attacks, like Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and even Blizzard. Eventually it gets too much for Ash and Pikachu that he withdraws it and sends Torkoal.

Torkoal VS Slakoth

As a Flamethrower and a Blizzard are thrown at each other, obviously the Flamethrower outdoes it and toasts Slakoth.

Torkoal VS Vigoroth

Overheat is avoided by Vigoroth. Vigoroth goes for a Scratch, so Torkoal starts charging up its Iron Defense, but Vigoroth is too fast and Scratches Torkoal dead.

Pikachu VS Vigoroth (long time rematch!)

In this one Pikachu learns to use it's Static trait to its advantage. This time it does a bit better, but after a series of physical attacks, somehow they both stab each other at the same time and faint. DRAW! Both two down, both one to go!

Grovyle VS Slaking

Grovyle learns to use its Overgrow trait to its advantage! This helps the Bullet Seed and the Leaf Blade work well, while Grovyle uses its amazing speed to jump at Slaking's Earthquakes. Eventually a final Leaf Blade wins, giving Ash the Balance Badge!

More specific details coming soon.

~Zak

Chris 2.1
2nd April 2004, 09:43 AM
Great work! Hmm Slakoth with Blizzard? Hmph, Skitty'll learn it next :rolleyes:

Craig
2nd April 2004, 07:05 PM
This looks like a cool battle, I can't wait to see it :o

Its cool to hear that Slakoth is fast still.. Hidden power? Cool.. did they mention what element the power was? Maybe something devastating like ground :0

Pewter City Geodude
2nd April 2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Brit Chris
Hmph, Skitty'll learn it next :rolleyes:

Uh, it already has.

Sounds like a good battle though, I'm anxious to see it. :D

Chris 2.1
3rd April 2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
Uh, it already has.

Uh, I already know :P

Hehehe. Better post something serious.....

I've seen the pics, and Slakoth really is a kool Pokemon! To be truthful I love the whole line now. Hmm and it was good how Max was so upset when his father lost...I guess that's why Norman never let them see Gym Matches....

FTorchicX
3rd April 2004, 02:49 PM
Wow, that sounds like a good episode! Found it interesting that Slakoth used shadow ball and blizzard o_o I wonder how that'll look. Anyways, I can't wait to see this eppy in Canada. :)

Pewter City Geodude
5th April 2004, 12:35 AM
That was an awesome battle. It already seems that any battle involving Grovyle will turn out great. :) I love how the various abilities were displayed, we haven't seen enough of that in Hoenn yet. There was Pikachu's Static, Slakoth and Slaking's Truant, and Grovyle's Overgrow. 70 episodes into Hoenn, about time the ability of the Pokemon we're most familiar with (Pikachu) was displayed. :P And I like how Norman obviously trained Slakoth to work around its Truant by becoming so good at dodging attacks.

Good character development for Max and May too...Max especially, what with his reaction to his father's loss.

AKA Pokemon Fan
6th April 2004, 11:46 AM
This looks like a cool battle, I can't wait to see it :o

Its cool to hear that Slakoth is fast still.. Hidden power? Cool.. did they mention what element the power was? Maybe something devastating like ground :0
Hard to say, aside from Larvitar's obviously Psychic-based Hidden Power no use of Hidden Power has ever been shown where they identified the element, indeed no one has even said that Hidden Power uses various elements. But like the Hidden Power used by Beautifly earlier in the series, Slakoth's Hidden Power was capable of homing in on the target, which may or may not indicate a Psychic base for it. The Shadow Ball was done a bit like Sneasel's in the episode where Harison caught it, in that each hand charged up a sphere then combined them before throwing the explosive ball of shadow energy.

Chris 2.1
6th April 2004, 02:40 PM
Im sure I read Brock told Ash to be careful - Hidden Power could be unpredictable. Maybe that's the indication it varies with the user?

Brock also knew a lot about the traits, too.

The Muffin Man
7th April 2004, 05:21 PM
Would it be possible/hard to get screenshots of the attacks? I'd love to see Earthquake, Hidden Power, and Overheat in action.

Chris 2.1
8th April 2004, 11:54 AM
TMM - My sig has Hidden Power ^^

There are pics Here (http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/houen/346.shtml) of the battle, with Shadow Ball and Hidden power.

Animelee
8th April 2004, 02:25 PM
Why depend on another site when you have us at TPM? ;)

I so love the new feature of being able to attach up to five files.

And, am I the only one that think William Hung looks like Namakero/Slakoth? :oh:

[attachment deleted by admin]