PDA

View Full Version : College, anyone?

GirlRepellant
1st April 2004, 07:06 PM
Hey all. I was just curious how many people are in college or close to it here. I'm a freshman at the University of Minnesota, majoring in Genetics, Cell Biology and Development. Where do people here go to school, what are they studying, etc.

Little_Pikachu
1st April 2004, 07:15 PM
College, been there done that. I'm in University now. University of Northumbria doing information and communication management.

Hikaru
1st April 2004, 07:21 PM
In America, you attend high school until you're 17 or 18, then "college" for anywhere from 2 to 10 years, depending on degree. So American College is similar to England's Uni's, no?

EDIT: Made it readable >_<

GirlRepellant
1st April 2004, 07:22 PM
Wait, how are college and university different? Do you mean you're doing your graduate work now?

Little_Pikachu
1st April 2004, 07:37 PM
High school until 16, then either sixth form in school or go to college and do some course to help you get into uni, usually until 18, 19 or 20, then go to uni for degrees and the like.

College and uni are quite different things here.

Razola
1st April 2004, 07:42 PM
Basically, in Europe College is similar to the US ( and maybe Candian) University, and University in Europe is similar to Graduate School in North America.

Roarkiller
1st April 2004, 09:29 PM
In Singapore:

- Frm age of 7, 6yrs in primary school (Shougakkou, junior high)
- Frm 13, 4 to 5yrs in secondary school (Chuugakkou, high school)
- Continue either in Institute of Technology Education (ITE), Polytechnic, Centralised Institute or Junior College (where i was from).

|
-> Detour for guys: I'm past all those, and since im a guy, 2.5 yrs in the army.

- University or polytechnic (ur choice), otherwise or after that, working life.

The Rusted One
1st April 2004, 10:56 PM
I never understood why people in the US call university college; here, you attend college from ages 12 or 13 till ages 17 or 18 (that is, if you stay until you sit Bursary, and then leave. We don't "graduate" here, we just leave), and then university is after that for those who wish to attend.

I'm a second year student at Victoria University in Wellington, studying Classics and Biology (because, you know, they are connected. Somehow. Not really), and doing things like Stats and Comparative Literature courses at the same time so I can make up the points to get my degree in however many years it either takes me to graduate, or I decide to graduate in.

Roarkiller - how come you have Japanese terms for the class of schools?

Razola
1st April 2004, 11:01 PM
We have elementary school: generally 1st-5th or 6th grade (or 5-6 years).

Then it's Middle School (6th ot 7th to 8th grade, or 2-3 years).

Finally High School (9th-12 th grade, or four years).

Then it's college, which is part of a University (unless you go to a commuinity college, which a two-year school after 12th grade). My university is composed of 8 or so colleges.

Lezta
2nd April 2004, 01:49 AM
Bah, I'm in English 'College' now anyway.

You know, what I don't get about the American system is why they call it 'College' anyway. I mean, don't half of them have 'University' in the title anyway?

Uni for me next year, if I can get the grades to get in. Woo.

RaZoR LeAf
2nd April 2004, 03:00 AM
I'm in my 2nd year of UK University now. Stdying Digital Video Design In Glamorgan Art Centre (which is actually a college, but the block i'm in hosts the university courses).

V99 - what you going to do in UNi?

Razola
2nd April 2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Venusaur99
Bah, I'm in English 'College' now anyway.

You know, what I don't get about the American system is why they call it 'College' anyway. I mean, don't half of them have 'University' in the title anyway?

Uni for me next year, if I can get the grades to get in. Woo.
Read my post above yours. Our universities are made up of colleges. It's a weird system, just another thing to annoy you all. Like our lack of "u" in certain words.

Green_Pikachu
2nd April 2004, 08:11 AM
well, i'm 19 and in the USA. I'm in my first year, majoring in classics, and MAYBE eventually a double major in philosophy or political science. I plan on going to Law School after I graduate, so hopefully everything works out.

Lady Vulpix
2nd April 2004, 08:16 AM
I'm hopefully in my last year of university. I'm studying computer science at the University of Buenos Aires.

Kirei
2nd April 2004, 08:20 AM
I'm in my last year studying Law at university. I have a job afterwards as a trainee law librarian.

Here, you do college before university and at university you can do undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, so I think when you say college it's the same as an undergraduate degree here.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me moving this to polls, I think it's more appropriate there.

Lezta
2nd April 2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RaZoR LeAf
V99 - what you going to do in UNi?

Drama and Theatre studies, with philosophy thrown in for kicks.

homeofmew
2nd April 2004, 02:05 PM
2nd semester
@Houston Community college, will Transer to
Univerity of Houston

GirlRepellant
2nd April 2004, 02:35 PM
In the US, a University is basically any post-high school education center where you can also attain a graduate degree. Raz was right, though, Universities are also made up of college. University of Minnesota has at least 20 colleges in it. I'm in the College of Biological Sciences, my friend is in the College of Liberal Arts, someone else is in the College of Agriculture, etc.

Sorry for asking the stupid question, I'm just another American ignorant to the outside world.

classy_cat18
2nd April 2004, 03:53 PM
I'm finishing up my second year of college studying Computer Science. It's a liberal arts college, so I'm doing a lot of different stuff.

suzie
2nd April 2004, 04:12 PM
ill be a freshman next fall studying history at boston university :wave:

i think.

Heald
3rd April 2004, 04:06 PM
Like our lack of "u" in certain words.Such as fck and cnt.

Silver Ledian
5th April 2004, 04:24 PM
Over here you attend:

Nursery school: 3 to 4 years old
Primary school (P1 to P7): 4 year old to 11 years old
High school (Year 8 to Year 12 at least): 11 years old to 16 years old (or 18 years old if you stay on)

*Here you have the option to leave high school at 16 to go straight into employment/college or else you can stay on and do an extra 2 years in high school, to obtain the grades you need to get into Uni at 18

I'm in my penultimate year of High School (Year 13) and then, if I get the grades in June 2005, I'll be going to Uni in that September. ^^;;; That's probably complicated to understand. :)

RedStarWarrior
5th April 2004, 09:49 PM
I am in Uni right now. Meh, it sucks, but education is necessary in today's world.

shazza
5th April 2004, 11:12 PM
Nope, I am in Year 10 at high school. So I have a couple of years to go, I haven't planned anything yet for my College/Uni future. :sad: