PDA

View Full Version : TPM Game Night 1: Pandora Tomorrow (free game)

Razola
2nd April 2004, 02:22 AM
Okay, the first game night is going to be both Friday and Saturday. I' will try to be on at 8pm EST, maybe earlier if you folks on the other side of the Atlantic find that too be too late.

I've decide to make the first game one we all can, thus it's going to be the Splinter Cell 2 Multiplayer demo. My reasoning is two fold: 1) The mentioned free part and 2) I don't expect a large turnout, but Splinter Cell only requires four players.

You can download the game from a large number of sources (just check the homepage at www.splintercell.com), but here's a link to where I got mine from: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=4774

If you are 56ker, I'm afraid you're out of luck. You can try to play, but there's a 95% chance you'll get owned. Sorry about that, but next week we'll pick a more friendly game.

And don't worry about the quality of the demo: I've been playing it nonstop, and I own the full version of Unreal Tournament 2004. It's that good.

I will have a session set up, those who posted in the sticky will get session name and password.

Hope to see you all this weeked. I'm thinking next week we'll try some Brood War. A lot of people got it, and it's 56k friendly.

Red Angel
2nd April 2004, 09:50 AM
Well, you can count me out of this one.

Maybe for game nights you should alternate 'new' games (demos, wacky free stuff) with 'conventional games (WCIII, SC, CounterStrike, etc.)?

Originally posted by Raz
Hope to see you all this weeked. I'm thinking next week we'll try some Brood War. A lot of people got it, and it's 56k friendly.

Well, I'll be in for that one.

Heald
2nd April 2004, 10:42 AM
I'll try to be there.

1) Thanks Raz. I don't anyone else, not even me, could be bothered to put so much effort as you have put in here.

2) Why doesn't the Splinter Cell people put the demo on THEIR website? They have more money than these frikkin' mirrors who have loads of pop-ups (my browser blocks them, but I know they're there from experience) and most of them have frikkin' 3 hour queues!!

Heald
2nd April 2004, 12:59 PM
Okay, on second thoughts, I won't be joining you.

I have a GeForce4 MX card.

Problem: It doesn't support Splinter Cell 2.

What I want to know is, GeForce3 supports it, so why can't the highly superior GeForce4 MX support it? I MEAN FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST.

Ahem.

I won't be joining you.

Razola
2nd April 2004, 01:49 PM
If enough people are unable to play, I'll just host a few games of Warcraft III: The frozen throne.

EDIT: Did you run the diagnostic that came with the demo? Mine was incompatible until I downloaded the latest drivers. Then it worked fine.

Heald
2nd April 2004, 01:56 PM
All my drivers are running fine. But the readme.txt and the website both (not very clearly) state that GeForce4 MX does not support it.

Razola
2nd April 2004, 02:21 PM
Have you tried playing the game? Or does it not let you even do that. Because what you are saying boggles my mind. Geforce 3 supported, yet not four?

Heald
2nd April 2004, 02:26 PM
Here is what happens:

I launch game, it comes up with preloader of Sam Fisher and all the comments from X-Box Magazine. Screen goes black then back to a clean desktop.

GeForce4 is supported, apparently, but not GeForce4 MX.

It is all here in this handy pamphlet! (http://www.splintercell.com/uk/faq.php)

Dean
3rd April 2004, 12:00 PM
get xbox live you cheap bastards, PT is a million times better over XBL

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:03 PM
get xbox live you cheap bastards, PT is a million times better over XBL
PT is a billion times better on PC. It's 10 bucks cheaper and has no monthly fee.

I win. [/TMM]

PNT510
3rd April 2004, 12:22 PM
Xbox just has voice chat and analog control.

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:24 PM
Xbox just has voice chat and analog control.
I have a microphone, and Mouse + WASD > All.

PNT510
3rd April 2004, 12:31 PM
So what, not everyone has a Microphone. And Mouse + WASD does not own a controler for 3rd person controls.

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:35 PM
So what, not everyone has a Microphone. And Mouse + WASD does not own a controler for 3rd person controls.
But you forget that the monthly fee evens the odds. And you also don't remember that multiplayer is half FPS.

PNT510
3rd April 2004, 12:38 PM
XBL has a yearly fee, and you'll be able to play more than just splinter cell.

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:42 PM
XBL has a yearly fee, and you'll be able to play more than just splinter cell.
I have yet to encounter a PC game that I like that requires an online fee.

Dean
3rd April 2004, 12:59 PM
i never understood why people would rather use a keyboard and a mouse than a controller... i also dont understand why you would rather sit in front of a 16" monitor than a 30" TV... and i dont understand why youd rather sit on a computer chair than a couch... and i dont understand why youd rather type than talk... but ok...

Razola
3rd April 2004, 11:11 PM
GeForce4 is supported, apparently, but not GeForce4 MX.
It is all here in this handy pamphlet! (http://www.splintercell.com/uk/faq.php)
There is a thread now on the SC forums about the lack of support for the card. I'll let you know how that turns out.

It might interest you to know that Nividia sponsered the development of SC. I checked the boax yesterday and say their logo. You might expect a lack of Geforce support if ATi had sponsered them, but Nividia? Doesn't make sense..

i never understood why people would rather use a keyboard and a mouse than a controller...
Mouse and WASD are much better. While analog is slighty superior to WASD, the mouse utterly owns analog for camera control and aiming.

i also dont understand why you would rather sit in front of a 16" monitor than a 30" TV...
I don't have a TV or an Xbox.

and i dont understand why youd rather sit on a computer chair than a couch...
Because I don't have a couch.

and i dont understand why youd rather type than talk... but ok...
Mic support is available for PC.

What I don't understand is why you'd pay 10 more bucks for weaker graphics and sound. And why you pay a monthly fee for games you can play online free elsewhere.

nick
3rd April 2004, 11:19 PM
on a pc, you can play games at a much higher resolution than regular tv's. Not that I care at all. My videocard sucks, and I'd rather play games on the couch instead of being hunched in front of my monitor. :yum:

PNT510
4th April 2004, 01:22 AM
How many people online for the PC version have mics? And just because you don't have an Xbox doesnt mean playing on a TV isn't better.

Razola
4th April 2004, 03:16 AM
Quite a few, actually. And i also stated that I don't have a TV. Further, I did not like using a controller for Splinter Cell 1, and I hate using it for FPS. Therefore, PC it is.

Imhere4u2die
14th April 2004, 05:54 PM
I would like it if we did more popular games, like Red Angel said. I loved Brood War, even though im really rusty, and my account's expired, and I'm into WC3: The Frozen Throne. Counterstrike was a big dissapointment for me, and I even ended up uninstalling it. Well, back on topic, I'm not really into demos, but if we wanted free games, we could do Gunbound, SP, and such. I have some weird kind of cable, and it wavers a lot. I used to have 56k, and it works fine for Brood War, WarCraft, and gunbound. In warcraft, you might lag a slight bit, but it's not much. It really depends on the quality of your connection, as there is a large amount of variety even among 56k.

Razola
14th April 2004, 06:24 PM
I'd rather play the Pandora Tomorrow demo than Gunbound, but that's just me.

We'll be doing Warcraft shortly.

Red Angel
14th April 2004, 08:24 PM
Warcraft sounds like a good idea, Raz. Oh, and it runs well enough over 56k most of the time, unless we have 4 players going mass Ghould or something.

Oh, and I'm getting ADSL before the month's end, so yay.

Razola
14th April 2004, 08:25 PM
I'll probably have a thread on it tomorrow evening. Expect to play some games this weekend, and maybe the following weekend if the beta for the new patch is released.

Chris
15th April 2004, 02:01 PM
More links to the PT multiplayer demo:

Multiplay (ftp://ftp.multiplay.co.uk/pub/games/fps/splintercellpandora/demos/win32/scpt_multiplayer_demo.exe) (UK)
Boomtown (http://download.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=4711) (UK; queues likely)
jolt (http://www.downloads.jolt.co.uk/index.php?page=download.php&action=filenotes&id=2508) (UK; fewer queues, slightly slower download)
Bigpond (http://games.bigpond.com/pc/resources/files/details/html/10937) (Australia; must be logged in and registered to download)
Daily Rush (http://files.dailyrush.dk/demos/US_SCPT_MultiPlayer_Demo_v1_1.exe) (Denmark; site's in Danish, not sure about download speeds)

Take your pick out of any of those, since FilePlanet can be a swine to download from at the best of times...

Razola
15th April 2004, 02:12 PM
A bit late on the link, but I advise everyone to give the demo a shot. Tis fun.