PDA

View Full Version : ASB Feedback

Razola
2nd April 2004, 01:47 PM
This thread is for feedback on what you like about ASB, and what you think could change. Do not be nice, if something pisses you off, let us know.

Should we nuke ASB and start fresh, the comments in this thread will be taken into consideration.

This is your game, and now you have the chance to directly impact it. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Rick_James_EKFTS
2nd April 2004, 02:04 PM
I was very active in ASB along time ago, and i think we should definetly start ASB over again. It's such a great thing and i know i would be heavily involved if it where. One thing that always pissed me off was the prices. It was aggravating that a newbie couldn't afford **** around here. I really hope we start anew.

Heald
2nd April 2004, 02:21 PM
I think one complaint was that people in the industry part of ASB were complaining that the mods had huge overheads, thus this discouraged people from running decent shops that people liked.

If we want to restart the business community, I think the mods should intervene. To avoid having ridiculously large prices but no overpowered cheap things, a mod in charge of business should be appointed to monitor the shops. The overheads would be eliminated but shops couldn't sell anything unless its price and function was approved by the mod.

In this way, businesses won't go bust, no one will be ridiculously overpowered and prices won't skyrocket.

The reffing system could be revised as well. People who are promoted are expected to write to that standard and can be quickly demoted. So, all refs get the same pay, but this pay is broadened from something like 0 yen to 20 yen a week, depending on how well they ref. At the end of each month, the ref of the month will earn double their weekly pay or an evolution or catch. The '3 matches for a catch/evo' worked too.

A prize system should be worked out as well. For example:

x = y yen (x being how many Pokémon the opponent lost, y being the prize)
1 = 3 yen
2 = 5 yen
3 = 10 yen
4 = 15 yen
5 = 20 yen
6 = 30 yen

That's all I can think of.

Dark Phoenix
2nd April 2004, 02:38 PM
As I said in the voting thread, either the rules for sigging should be writting more clearly, or they should be reinvented entirely. If I remember correctly, Sigs could get approved as long as it made sence, wasn't just another move, and the pokemon could preform it; as in the type matchs, water can't use fire moves. The problem was that origonal ideas were either: just this move done diffrently, or so out of range that the pokemon couldn't preform it. Fix this system :)

Heald
2nd April 2004, 02:38 PM
Just read Dark Phoenix's post in 'Starting Anew' and the sig approval system was f*cked. When one moderator approved your sig, another told you it was illegal and needed revising. That isn't right. I spent weeks p*ssing about on those boards because the mods were screwed. Personally, the sigs either need to be thrown out completely, which no one is in favour of, or it needs revising, because while reffing I saw some ridiculously damaging or status-affecting sigs that made my denied sig moves look like Splash attacks.

The problem wasn't the sig moves: it is easy to tell whether a move is overpowered or not. What needs to be changed is the approval system.

RaZoR LeAf
2nd April 2004, 02:58 PM
I'll agree with HPK on sig moves for the most. Stopping them entirly isn't the answer, but instead perhaps making them something you have to earn rather than optional at start up would be beter. Perhaps a medium to higher price could be set with which people would have to pay in order to put a Signature move on a pokemon.

Razola
2nd April 2004, 03:03 PM
Perhaps requiring a pokemon to KO X number of pokemon in order to get it? Though that might be bonkers for the book-keeping, it could work.

EDIT: I would like to mention that sig moves have been in the anime before. Didn't Ash's Charizard use a move called "Aerial Submission?" Hell, I think Blaine had a sig move in that episode as well.

Green Lanturn
2nd April 2004, 06:32 PM
If it comes down on whether or not to have sigs or not, depending on the circumstances, i do agree that it would be good to have them.

We could always have it to where sigs are allowed, but instead of having to KO a pokemon to get it, we could always just make it as one of the prize choices. You know, catch a pokemon, evolve a pokemon, or add a signature move to one pokemon which you already have.

Th reffing system seems fine as it is. The only problem i have is withwhat HealdPK is suggesting. If the refs pay gets varied each time, that would put more work on the head referee to judge eah and every single reffing that ref has done. Now, some might say that is a good idea, but thats up to the head ref themselves if you ask me.

One thing that id like to bring up, Abilities. Are we gonna allow pokemon in the "new" ASB to have abilities. We could always have it to be each pokemon has their own ability, and in case that pokemon has 2, the trainer must choose between the two. Thats just in case we begin with these, though i do think it would make ASB more interesting.

Otherwise, nothing really did piss me off.

~GL

EngiMatikul
2nd April 2004, 07:29 PM
While many of you talk about general modifications to the previous ASB we've had, I believe the main rules are still the same, and therefore we still need somewhat of an explanation of what ASB is or some sort.

Hmm, I think now would be a good time to rewrite "ASB For Dummies", so at least we can have the general gist of the rules down. Other issues such as money, sig moves, and etc. can be added/modified or whatever...

I'll write ASB For Dummies again soon enough, I have Spring Break. >.> <.<

EDIT: you know what I think would be a cool idea?!?!? If we have like guilds or something, that sounds so cool and stuff and cool... um... and... I always wanted an ASB Vets guild... and umm....
Ok I'll shut up now.

EDIT: O yes, I'm writing these rules under the assumption that you mods (or some other ASBers) do not have a copy of the ASB Rules on your harddrive. If you do, spare me the work and post the rules or something. >.>

Syberia
2nd April 2004, 10:54 PM
EDIT: I would like to mention that sig moves have been in the anime before. Didn't Ash's Charizard use a move called "Aerial Submission?"
That would just be Submission, used from the air. It's not a sig move, just a combo.

The Muffin Man
2nd April 2004, 11:48 PM
but Magmar DID use a "move" referred to as "Heat Lance", although it was more of a natural skill(like Charizard using a form of Flash using his tail flame) that bent Pikachus Thundershocks around it.

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:24 AM
Signature moves are mixed bag. On the one hand, they offer a bit of uniqueness that you lose in the transition from Video Games to ASB. Since you have every move at your disposal, rather than be limited to just four, the only real customizing you can do is sig moves (under the current system anyway).

However, signature moves also are reviewed by multiple people. So you may have harsh approvers, and more lax one. There is also no playtesting for sig moves, so while it could start off fair, there may be powerful applications discovered later on. And unless you read the Approval Tower religiously, it's basically a move your opponents may not be aware off. ASB shouldn't required people to memorize a million signature moves to win.

Other problems I had was the length/reward ratio. While this was tweaked, it still took too long to finish battles with over 3 pokemon. While later policy changes made these battles a bit more rewarding, it was far easier to just take on a few two vs. two battles, rather than wait months for a six on six.

The answer to that would be removing damage caps and encouraging higher damage values. This would make battles a bit more fast and require offensive strategies. No longer could people rely on a 30% to 50% damage cap to save them.

One feature I would like to add is items. This would require another tower (inventory), but it give businesses a lot more purpose. I found there to be little reason to do a business, as each business offered basically the same goods. With items, the ASB could offer the basic stuff, and business could submit their own items for approval. To combat the "rich people win" scenario, people would put a limit on the items brought into each battle (I also think items should be announced before the battle starts). Healing items could help counteract the lack of damage caps, while offensive items could help balance the healing items.

That would require some discussion, but it's worth thinking about.

Pichu
3rd April 2004, 08:50 PM

*thwak* (http://pub12.ezboard.com/fpokemasters86831frm15.showMessage?topicID=6.topic )
*boink* (http://pub12.ezboard.com/fpokemasters86831frm15.showMessage?topicID=42.topi c)
*kapow* (http://pub12.ezboard.com/fpokemasters86831frm15.showMessage?topicID=3.topic )
Meh ... (http://pub12.ezboard.com/fpokemasters86831frm15.showMessage?topicID=5.topic )

... That should help set up the old threads.

EngiMatikul
3rd April 2004, 08:53 PM
Hey that means I don't have to type up the ASB rules thingy then, or should I? Ah, my head hurts right now.

The_Missing_Link
3rd April 2004, 09:00 PM
Nice job Cyndaquil

The only problem I see right now is that these came from 2002 and updates were obviously made to them as the years progressed. I'm rather sure we can remember and add on as we go along though

Dark Phoenix
4th April 2004, 02:07 PM
Looks like the forums have a new look. I agree with Raz, I proposed the idea back when I first started to Charizard + co, cause I wanted to start a bussness around the idea. Though it never took off, they didn't see how items could be used in battle, and I guess they arn't used in the anime? I don't know, but maybe my idea could get revived now :)

pokemasterfrank
5th April 2004, 12:15 AM
I think one complaint was that people in the industry part of ASB were complaining that the mods had huge overheads, thus this discouraged people from running decent shops that people liked.

If we want to restart the business community, I think the mods should intervene. To avoid having ridiculously large prices but no overpowered cheap things, a mod in charge of business should be appointed to monitor the shops. The overheads would be eliminated but shops couldn't sell anything unless its price and function was approved by the mod.

In this way, businesses won't go bust, no one will be ridiculously overpowered and prices won't skyrocket.

Technically, the overheads were created to stop owners of businesses from just "trading" their stuff with each other. Owner 1 buys items worth x from Owner 2. Owner 2 busy items worth x from Owner 1. They were able to boost their Pokemon without losing money. What we need is an alternate system that doesn't raise prices, but stops the situation above from happening.

I think that it would be a good idea for ASB to hit the ol' reset button. It would probably attract members and even out the board for people.

RaZoR LeAf
5th April 2004, 04:25 PM
Am idea I had way long time ago was about TMs. I know they were implemented here once, but removed due to overplay or something, I never really found out. But with Items being discussed, maybe we could work out some way to use TMs too. I know their not in the anime, but let me explain a bit.

- TM's, perhaps 50, maybe less at 25 would be of regular or weak moves such as Razor Leaf, Twin Needle, Drill Peck, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, etc.

- A list would be created with compatability of all pokemon that could learn these moves, obviously not who can use these moves anyway, but things like Pidgeot being able to use Drill Peck, or Exeggutor knowing Razor Leaf. This list would have to be decided upon by the mods so that pokemon were to learn attacks that made sense (and not electric attacks on a grass type, etc)

- TMs would have a decent to high price on them. Varying for the type of attack.

- A list would be kept of all people who have bought TM's, and what pokemon they gave them to. Obviously only 1 TM per pokemon.

- During approval, pokemon would need to be listed as knowing a TM, along with (as for any changes) a bank link certifying payment and a link to the main list showing the approved TM.

- During battle, a same link would be provided to the TM List so that people would know that the move has been bought legally and isn't being used out of context.

Like I said, this is just an idea I had. It could work, it could be a shambles, but I thought seeing as we're going through this whol ideas thing, I'd share it now.

Moonlight Espeon
8th April 2004, 09:38 PM
I was actually quite successful as a newbie, by immediately becoming a rookie ref. But restarting is completely necessary.
I do think, however, that the slowness of everything irritates me sometimes. Half of the time nobody was there to give out reffing paychecks, ASHarris usually saved us by updating at the very last minute but she is gone now. Also, approvers at the reffing tower would update once a month? If you happened to be the one unlucky enough to get your post in right after the employee's, you';'d have to wait weeks, up to two months depending on the inactivity of the approvers just to get your paychecks or to get your mock reffing evaluated.

One thing that really got on my nerves, however, was the large possibility of biased reffings and battles. It was so easy to subtly let your acquaintance win if you didn't like the other person and such. I have no way of fixing this but if someone thinks of something, go ahead.
ASB is a great place, I know, it's fun and the people are friendly. But things are just too slow around here.
I would also like to request that the standard DQ time be extended to at least 2 weeks, because between homework, times that I'm off the computer and times that I have to ref I just can't get the reffings up fast enough. I did make a mistake in immediately throwing myself into 3 battles, but since the weight that was on my shoulders from certain things in my personal life is now gone I should be able to get reffings up faster.

Pyrusette
9th April 2004, 09:55 AM
I just realized... if we do start over, there will be a huge rush of people getting approved. Especially if there are sig moves, this will be very, very hard on the approvers. Does anyone have an idea of how to make the transition a little less painful?

RaZoR LeAf
9th April 2004, 12:59 PM
If that's case then maybe it should be set up that first approval teams aren't allowed sig moves, if they are reimplemented that is. That way then, sig moves can only be bought or made through whatever prizes or businesses there are.

Moonlight Espeon
9th April 2004, 01:24 PM
In that other poll that Raz posted, I requested that we remove sig moves completely. There are no sig moves in the Anime, and they're too hard to keep track of.
I would say that to make it easier on the approvers, you could hire temporary people just to work as approvers while ASB is restarting so work would be divided equally and would be less tiring, just until everything died down a bit. Since probably almost 300 people are waiting for ASB to be back up (maybe more, I didn't want my estimation to be too high) it won't be easy to get everybody going again.

EDIT: I think this is the way it will workbut if we can get an admin to do this for us, we could have ASB TOTALLY deleted (everything wiped out) and everything would have to be created again. That kinda already happened with the Approval Tower and the other tower there that was deleted in the process of restarting ASB..

dragon684
9th April 2004, 02:55 PM
I had an idea that I posted in the sarting anew thread but be glad to comment it here

You start of with only one pokemon and some pokeballs (like game and anime). Then you can go to 1 of some parks(yes multiple, so that if you only open 1 park then it will be flooded) and arrange it some way like types or living areas, where you can catch pokemon with the pokeballs you have. Also make a list of pokemon that you can only catch after some kind of condition(maybe badge for some)

No sig moves

Money ro buy new pokeballs so you can get more pokemon

For GL's you can use something like if you beat the GL you can go to a cave or forest or wathever to seek out the rarest pokemon of them all(larvitar, dratini,bagon,...) or by other words the overpowered of them(with overpowered I mean pokemon that can use almost any type of move)

Moonlight Espeon
9th April 2004, 05:43 PM
I had an idea that I posted in the sarting anew thread but be glad to comment it here

You start of with only one pokemon and some pokeballs (like game and anime). Then you can go to 1 of some parks(yes multiple, so that if you only open 1 park then it will be flooded) and arrange it some way like types or living areas, where you can catch pokemon with the pokeballs you have. Also make a list of pokemon that you can only catch after some kind of condition(maybe badge for some)

No sig moves

Money ro buy new pokeballs so you can get more pokemon

For GL's you can use something like if you beat the GL you can go to a cave or forest or wathever to seek out the rarest pokemon of them all(larvitar, dratini,bagon,...) or by other words the overpowered of them(with overpowered I mean pokemon that can use almost any type of move)

I disagree. Too much like the game. This is Anime style battling, not Adopted/Captured Pokemon.

EngiMatikul
9th April 2004, 10:22 PM
It's also not Pokemon Tycoon, but a lot of rich business people sure make it look like it.

Syberia
11th April 2004, 07:05 PM
...and that's why I think business should be abolished entirely. Money too, for that matter.

The Muffin Man
11th April 2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah. Money made people petty and greedy. They'd cheat people out of a win for money to buy new Pokemon. Eventually, people got superrich. And what was their genius idea? Make overheads huge, causing people to extory customers. But wait, there's more! If an owner didn't have alot of money, he had to close his shop. And what did this do? Make it easier for super rich to get business, keeping them super rich. Once again, some genius decided to cap money off at 500, cutting peoples money out unfairly. On top of this, obscene overheads stood as they were...

Money and Business ruined it.

Prodigy
11th April 2004, 09:51 PM
Although the economy system wasn't as bad as TMM likes to believe, I do stand by the idea that we'd be better off without it.

Linc
20th April 2004, 03:22 PM
I can't find the rules for ASB and how to play. Where are they?

Indecent Exposure
20th April 2004, 04:18 PM
ASB is currently inactive. The mods are in the process of getting the game going again, and it should be up and running within a week or two. The rules will be up then, and you'll be able to start whenever that is.

Razola
20th April 2004, 05:33 PM
Update for you all:

Progress is slow for a couple of reasons:

-Research paper that just won't die.
-Had an exam on Monday.
-Working on a project for Visual Media.
-Minor assignments for other classes.
-City of Heroes beta.

Things will be looking MUCH better this weekend, when the majority of that list is gone from my life. Sorry to keep you all waiting, but I don't wait to half-ass the rules. No need to start ASB over twice.

Indecent Exposure
20th April 2004, 05:43 PM
Pfft, update, yeah right. You're just jealous that I answered the question before you had a chance too, so you come here pretending to have an update of some sort :p

Having said that, cheers for keeping us informed.

Razola
21st April 2004, 01:31 AM
What? I just was checking the threads, and when you said "it should be up and running within a week or two.", I figured it might be a good time to give you all the latest news.

Andrew
21st April 2004, 03:56 AM
Raz, any opinion on the trainer specialization areas of ASB I brought up ...?

Pichu
22nd April 2004, 01:53 PM
Question: Ok, pikachu, return! ...

In the animé, pokemon are returned and used for later like mad ...

However, in ASB, I always hesitate to return the pokemon into the pokeball. Like, if the opponent issue attacks, then I want to return... like, how's that possible? XD ... Anyway, I think we need to think of the returning the pokemon into pokeball issue...

This isn't well typed, cuz i'm feeling sick. x_x;

Indecent Exposure
22nd April 2004, 04:04 PM
In ASB, returning your Pokemon has always meant they're out of the battle forever, as if they've fainted (apart from some battles where the rules have allowed switching). Personally I think it's too much hassle to have an option to return a Pokemon mid-battle, and then send it out again at any point. I mean technically, you could just keep doing that and let the opponent loose through lack of energy ;)

Although they do it in the anime, I don't really see it helping us here, and to be honest, after the inital thrill I don't even think it'd be used too often.

Oh and Raz, I was joking, hence the :p

Charles Legend
22nd April 2004, 07:03 PM
In ASB, returning your Pokemon has always meant they're out of the battle forever, as if they've fainted (apart from some battles where the rules have allowed switching). Personally I think it's too much hassle to have an option to return a Pokemon mid-battle, and then send it out again at any point. I mean technically, you could just keep doing that and let the opponent loose through lack of energy ;)

Although they do it in the anime, I don't really see it helping us here, and to be honest, after the inital thrill I don't even think it'd be used too often.

Oh and Raz, I was joking, hence the :p

You made a very good point there Indecent Exposure, Also I think that if we did have a web site that we should include not only the rules but also every one's ASB Profile, and also any parks and other business we have in ASB.

~Ryu

Razola
23rd April 2004, 03:28 AM
Actually, in the anime, when a pokemon faints sometimes both trainers return their pokemon. I saw a few episodes where matches were more like a couple seperate 1on1s played in a row.

I doubt this rule will be implemented, as it requires the ref to keep track of its stats, and battles could reduce to constant switching for type superiority. That would make battles last even longer. I want ASB 2.0 to have a faster pace.