PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] My RBY water team O_o

Ferilian
2nd April 2004, 07:02 PM
I've been reminiscing with my Blue version and have created an all water team!!!1one I know some of the moves are repetitive, but this is due mainly to the lack of good TMs in RBY and because, well they're all water types. Also, I used Hydro Pump on several just for extreme STABing damage, even if the accuracy is a bit lower than surf. Change it if you want.

BLASTOISE
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Withdraw :\
-Rest

I know, kinda crappy. But I wanted to make use of his higher special attack and defenses, so I made him into a tank. No earthquake please, unless you think it's absolutely necessary. (I do unlimited TMs courtesy of Missingo, so don't worry about that at all)

STARMIE
-Hydro Pump
-Psychic
-Light Screen
-Recover/Thunderbolt

A special sweeper. I don't know if I want Recover of Thunderbolt. Or maybe I should drop Light Screen for Bolt?

SEADRA
-Surf
-Ice beam
-Agility
-Double Team

Not much strategy. I couldn't think of what to do for the last slot, so I stuck in Double Team. ANY suggestions are welcome here!

TENTACRUEL
-Hydro Pump
-Toxic
-Wrap
-Supersonic

THE BEST ANNOYER EVER! It works incredibly well, just Supersonic so they hopefully can't hit you, Toxic, then WRAP! Each turn, they can't attack because of wrap, but it does damage and they still take worsening poison damage! And Pump just in case, though I rarely do/will use it.

DEWGONG
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Horn Drill
-Rest

Meh. I didn't know what else to do. Please help me with this guy!

POLIWRATH
-Surf
-Submission/Seismic Toss/other good fighting move
-Earthquake
-Amnesia

A physical sweeper. I might take off Surf for another good phys. attack. Amnesia to protect from psychic, electric, and grass; and two more phys. attacks.

So there you have it! Isn't it great??? ;)

RaZoR LeAf
3rd April 2004, 03:04 PM
Welcome back Ferilian, it's been a while.

I've been reminiscing with my Blue version and have created an all water team!!!1one I know some of the moves are repetitive, but this is due mainly to the lack of good TMs in RBY and because, well they're all water types. Also, I used Hydro Pump on several just for extreme STABing damage, even if the accuracy is a bit lower than surf. Change it if you want.

Ive found doing mono teams with one set of TM's is more fun. You should try that next time.

BLASTOISE
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Withdraw :\
-Rest

I know, kinda crappy. But I wanted to make use of his higher special attack and defenses, so I made him into a tank. No earthquake please, unless you think it's absolutely necessary. (I do unlimited TMs courtesy of Missingo, so don't worry about that at all)

Seeing as Wrath has Quake, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe swap Withdraw for something like SToss

STARMIE
-Hydro Pump
-Psychic
-Light Screen
-Recover/Thunderbolt

A special sweeper. I don't know if I want Recover of Thunderbolt. Or maybe I should drop Light Screen for Bolt?

Yeah Drop Light Screen

SEADRA
-Surf
-Ice beam
-Agility
-Double Team

Not much strategy. I couldn't think of what to do for the last slot, so I stuck in Double Team. ANY suggestions are welcome here!

Smoke Screen.

TENTACRUEL
-Hydro Pump
-Toxic
-Wrap
-Supersonic

THE BEST ANNOYER EVER! It works incredibly well, just Supersonic so they hopefully can't hit you, Toxic, then WRAP! Each turn, they can't attack because of wrap, but it does damage and they still take worsening poison damage! And Pump just in case, though I rarely do/will use it.

That's evil. I like it.

DEWGONG
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Horn Drill
-Rest

Meh. I didn't know what else to do. Please help me with this guy!

I'd Substitute over Horn Drill. Dewgong isn't exactly speedy.

POLIWRATH
-Surf
-Submission/Seismic Toss/other good fighting move
-Earthquake
-Amnesia

A physical sweeper. I might take off Surf for another good phys. attack. Amnesia to protect from psychic, electric, and grass; and two more phys. attacks.

With all the water attacks a fighting move isn't that neccesary. So I'd go with maybe Psychic or Ice Beam, boosted with Amnesia would be aswome.

So there you have it! Isn't it great??? ;)

Spot on old chap. Great to have you back

Ferilian
3rd April 2004, 04:07 PM
Wow, someone who actually remembers me! Anyways, I was considering dropping someone for a Gyarados. Any moveset suggestions? I was thinking something along the lines of

GYARADOS
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Hyper Beam(?)
-???

I don't know a lot about him in the RBY days, and I'm too lazy to look for the movepool. Also, should I go Blizzard over Ice Beam on Dewgong?

Prodigy
3rd April 2004, 04:29 PM
I'd take Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Earthquake/Body Slam on Blastoise. The extra power on the special moves will help, and Earthquake and Body Slam round him out nicely on the physical side. I don't know what you have against Earthquake on this guy.. one of the best things about him is that he learns it.

On Starmie, Thunderbolt and Recover are both essentials. There's no either/or there. Ice Beam/Blizzard and Thunder Wave are your best bets in the last slots. You might be trying something different, but that's still the best way to set up a Starmie. You might take Psychic over the ice move for a bit of branching out, you have lots of other potential icers.

Seadra is mehish, but whatever. I'd go with Agility any three of Surf, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and Blizzard. Lapras is a lot better. Yesssssssss, Laprassss..

Bleh. Toxic, Wrap, and Supersonic are all terrible moves, especially when Tentacruel learns a lot of other cool ones. Tentacruel has great special, so you might want to take advantage of that.. something along the lines of Surf, Ice Beam, Mega Drain, Barrier would work pretty well. It also learns Swords Dance and Hyper Beam, if you want to play with that.

Dewgong is also mehish. I'd swap it out for Slowbro in a heartbeat, but that's me. Um.. you could go with a Double Rester for online play, because people can't punch you in the face over the Internet. Or something like Blizzard, Agility, Horn Drill, Ice Beam.. that might be okay.

Poliwrath and Blastoise might be a bit repetitive, but it's okay. There are no good fighting moves so don't bother. Something along the lines of Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Amnesia would be good.

Seriously, Dewgong and Seadra are questionable choices even on a mono-Water team, especially when Slowbro and Lapras are noticably absent. What's that all about?

Ferilian
3rd April 2004, 04:33 PM
It's for ingame and link battles, and I haven't gotten those yet. I've forgotten, where can you find slowpoke/slowbro. I know bros are in unkown dungeon and in the water on the way to the pokemon league, but thats it. They aren't in seafoam are they? Also, another reason is I already had ice-water and psy-water types, and I prefer Starmie over slowbro. I might change Dewgong for Lapras though.

EDIT: Ok, Dewgong is out for

LAPRAS
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Sing
-Confuse Ray

And yeah, so there's the new guy.

Poryhedron
3rd April 2004, 07:22 PM
Using the Good Rod or Super Rod, you can find Slowpoke in the pond in Celadon City or the river in Route 10. Also, they are in Seafoam, and in the Safari Zone.

Prodigy
4th April 2004, 01:38 AM
Lapras should have Thunderbolt over Surf. Body Slam over Sing is an option, but that's a bit of a toss-up. I'm still backing the additional inclusion of Slowbro (Surf/Thunder Wave/Amnesia/Rest).

The Muffin Man
5th April 2004, 02:37 PM
I say switch Seadra for a Seaking and Destroy.

Horn Drill
Blizzard
Agility(remember, this is back when Speed boosted OHKO chance, well...very slightly heh)
Rest/Surf/Swords Dance/Whatever.

I prefer Surf for a back-up attack.

:lemoncool my own tried and true Seaking.

RaZoR LeAf
5th April 2004, 04:05 PM
Was wondering when that Seaking would make an appearence.

On a aisde note, I suggest you try making a mono team with only one games worth of TMs (no duplicates other than the buyable ones), trust me it's more of a challenge, especially if you pick a less movepool-wide type.

Prodigy
5th April 2004, 05:47 PM
For the set TMM is suggesting, Dewgong > Seaking, with 20 more HP, 30 more Defense, 4 more Speed, 30 more Special, and STAB on Ice moves. Loss of Fire resistance and addition of Rock and Fighting weaknesses are meaningless. Seaking has higher attack, but this actually works to Dewgong's advantage, as it deals less damage to itself when confused. As suggested earlier, Ice Beam, Agility, Horn Drill, Blizzard. I'm still backing Slowbro, but if you're feeling lucky and want to try a Horn Driller, you could easily lose either Blastoise or Poliwrath.

Agility doesn't boost OHKO chance, as such.. it simply affects the number of things you can hit. In RBY, you can't hit anything faster than you are, and with 238 Speed, a lot of things are faster than Dewgong. With one Agility, however, your Speed doubles, and now Dewgong can outspeed (and fell with Horn Drill) even Electrode.