PDA

View Full Version : Who writes poetry??

Leon-IH
3rd April 2004, 05:49 AM
I only started late last year, when i was going through when of those adolescent anxiety phases, and i've been doing it ever since because it's an addiction for me. But i'm wondering if anyone else finds it addictive, I also want to know why rhyming patterns you use, i spend half the time like this

X
Y
Rhyme with X
Rhyme with Y

and half the time like this

X
Rhyme for X
Z
Rhyme for Z

also, how do you get started on your poetry.. so basically 3 questions.

1. Do you find poetry addictive

2. How do you rhyme it

3. How do you start your poetry

2ra
3rd April 2004, 12:09 PM

2. How do you rhyme it

1. I personally don't find poetry addictive, but I do think it can be fun sometimes ^_^ I just started writing poetry this year as well, I used to loathe it ^^;;

2. Well, the last work of poetry I wrote was a sonnet, and the rhyme scheme I used was the one every Shakespearean sonnet uses: A,B,A,B,C,D,C,D,E,F,E,F,G,G
Although, you have to decide which scheme you have to use as I use different schemes in different poems. You must also remember that not all poetry has to rhyme as well.

3. I don't really think this is a really good question, at least for me, since everytime I write poetry I usually start each one differently.

EDIT: Forgot to write Shakespearean ^^;

dratinihaunter13
3rd April 2004, 12:32 PM
1. I love writing poetry, but I'm not really addicted to it like I'm addicted to let's say.... poker.

2. Sometimes I rhyme it, sometimes I don't. Whatever I feel like doing. Usually if I really want to say something kind of bluntly, no bull**** just straight, then i won't rhyme. Other times I love the challenge of wrapping your poem in beautiful rhyme and rhythm

3. My poems usually start with a couple lines I get in my head, then I place them somewhere in the finished product. I kind of build around those first two original lines.

Razola
3rd April 2004, 12:40 PM
Not ever sonnet uses that rhyme scheme. Off the top of my head, that is a Shakespearean Sonnet (a google search now proves me right). There are other, older, forms of the sonnet that us different ones.

I just write when I get inspiration. My poetry is normally humorous, and I like rhyme schemes because they add to the humor while giving me structure.

Darkmaster Kagemusha
3rd April 2004, 04:40 PM
1. Do you find poetry addictive?
--Not really addictive, but I have fun doing it and it's a good outlet for my feelings. If I couldn't write poetry, there would be some dead people in Illinois.

2. How do you rhyme it?
--Well, a lot of times, my poetry doesn't rhyme, I just try to make it flow. When I do rhyme it though, I usually do this:

A
B
Rhyme with A
Rhyme with B

Sometimes I'll cut off that last one though, for flow purposes, or lack of ideas. Plus, not rhyming with B makes the poem a bit more unique.

--Well that's an odd question...I just kind of get an idea and work from it. I write what comes to me as it comes to me.

Lady Vulpix
3rd April 2004, 05:29 PM
I rarely write poems, and not too well. Today was one of those rare days.

1. No, but I do find it enjoyable.
2. In any way, really. Or even none at all, it depends on the poem.
3. I come up with one when I'm having a strong feeling and need to get it out. Quite different from my stories, which I'm constantly thinking of.

I'll post my newest poem here in case anyone wants to read it, though it's in Spanish, sorry. If you're not interested, just ignore it.

Confusión
La duda, el miedo al miedo,
el deseo de deseo...
Las paredes ya se cierran;
¿Qué es lo malo? ¿Qué es lo bueno?
Busco claridad, descanso,
mas no puedo... ya no puedo.
Mientras sufrís por mi ausencia,
tu presencia invade mi tiempo.

Leon-IH
15th April 2004, 01:08 AM
*wishes he could understand spanish* proceeds to kill things.. YAY

mistysakura
15th April 2004, 03:15 AM
Not really, but it's fun and can be emotion-affecting.

2. How do you rhyme it
Most of the time I don't. I just let my thoughts flow, and although I make them nice and poetic, they don't rhyme. Actually, I've written exactly one poem that rhymes. For that I used aabbccdd etc. But ababcdcd's good too.

I get an image of something. Then I think about connected images, or if it's a scenario, what happens next or beofre. Then I write. It's not really a process I use, though, it's just what comes to me naturally.

Iveechan
15th April 2004, 07:42 AM
Like Raz (gasp!) I enjoy humor and rhyming. I don't write poetry nowadays but I used to in school, and in Middle School I used to write a lot of limericks. The best poem I've ever written was a Beowulf style poem about beast named Windog, but that's been lost in one of the many computer crashes.

-no

2. How do you rhyme it

-rhyming is the fun part. I make a list of words that rhyme... when doing the Windog poem, each two-line stanza (four beats each) was written seperately and then re-ordered later. How I rhyme:

something, something A
something, something *rhymes with A*

something, something B
something, something *rhymes with B*

Each line should read as two beats, and each stanza is four.

-brainstorm... inspiration... school assignment.