PDA

View Full Version : Rules!! All Read!! (Updated 7-12-03)

The Muffin Man
6th September 2002, 07:30 PM
They're ba-ack...
First of all, thankee-sai mucho to Mike, who suggested posting these, and BBP, who helped much in putting them together. *gives both of them a case of caffeinated drinks*
If there are any problems, please inform Mike, Bulba, or myself...

-------------------

Rules of the RPG Forum

The RPG forum is a place where members of this forum can take part in role playing games. A role playing game is a game where people create characters to play in an environment and with a basic plot set forth by the game master. The game master is the person (or people) who created the RPG and who is in charge of the plot. Inside an RPG, the game master's word is law.
In any RPG you must pay attention to the other's posts - the game master's especially, since he is in charge of the whole RPG, but all others as well. The RPG depends on good interaction between the members.
How to create an RPG:
-Post a sign-up topic where people will create their characters. Be sure to include an outline of the plot of the RPG in question - what the world is like, what are the events leading up to the RPG you are launching, etc - as well as all the information the players have to provide on their characters.
-Try to have a good title for it. This is not mandatory, but it helps.
-When you have enough participants (you decide when that is) you may start the actual RPG by putting up another topic for it. Do not start the RPG in the sign up topic.
EVERY RPG needs an "Other" topic. We will not enforce this. This is merely a joke. It's just really scarce to see a sign-up without Other. Don't worry about this rule :p It's just for a dash of teh funny.

How to Register in an RPG:
-Post a character (or more, if the game master allows it), filling in *all* the information required by the game master in the sign up form. These sign-up forms will be found in, of course, the sign-up topics.
-Try to create a character with weakness - TRUE ones (For example, in a "Stranded in the desert" RPG, "Afraid of water" is not going to be a real weakness) - and one who doesn't seems like already a super hero (For example, no "He was immortal and could kill anyone.”). The exception to this would be if the game master allows super-human characters.
-Do remember that the game master has the right to refuse characters that don't fit in what he or she has planned. If the game master rejects the character, the creator of the character must fix it. The game master will not change the plot to fit the character. It is expected that the game master will explain the reason why the character was rejected. This explanation does not have to be detailed, especially if it concerns a plot twist that the game master has planned and would like to keep secret. Instead of trying to kill off the character, the game master should give the creator of the character a chance to fix it.
Parties and Dances
-"Parties" and "Dances" are not RPG, unless they are part of another RPG. In this case, they should be help within the topic. The only exceptions to this rule are the full-forum dance topics, such as the ‘Christmas Dance.’ These are allowed, but must be moderator-approved before being posted and set up. These will be treated as normal RPGs, simply without the sign-up.
-By joining an RPG, you waive all right to complain if the GM, moderator, or both find a post unacceptable. Unless you go SEPERATELY to the mods about the incident, you have no right to complain about, or flame, the moderator or GM who has "wronged" you. In short, if Ginger, Bulba, or I says "Your RPG is unacceptable", you cannot report one of us to the administrator or flame us. You give up that right.
Awards:
-Award topics, such as ‘Summer RPG Awards’, must be either run by moderators or be moderator approved. No exceptions, unless you’re handing out awards to players in your own RPG. In that case, hand them out in the topic.
Battle Topics and Battle RPGs:
-Battle RPGs (that is, RPGs that are solely about battle between the various characters) should have a plot and be approved by a moderator prior to posting.
-Do not create separate topics for battle in the course of your RPGs. All action of an RPG must take place within that RPG topic. If you want to create an additional topic related to the RPG for some reason, get a moderator's approval beforehand.
Off-take Topics:
-These are not allowed. Off-take topics are similar to battles out of RPGs. These are created when members of an RPG want a new branch of the RPG. (For example, members of an RPG called ‘Reign of the Night’ want to have a topic where their characters can have a discussion separate from the RPG. This is not allowable.) Keep all parts of an RPG in the RPG. If you have an idea that you feel may be an exception, please ask a moderator before posting it.
Type of Posts:
-All in-characters posts in an RPG should be of a reasonable length (The moderators are free to determine what is reasonable and what is not, depending on the circumstances in the RPG. A post of under four lines is not reasonable.)
-Out of characters posts must serve some actual purpose relating to the RPG - for example, informing the players of something, showing them a picture you drew for the RPG, etc. Posting to push an RPG back to the first page (bumping) is not allowed. The sole exception is if a pruning is soon to take place. During this time, RPGers will be informed that they may bump their topics. That is the only time it will be allowed.
-Posts in script format (example below) are not allowed, unless specified. If there is a case in which the person in charge of the RPG feels that the script format is warranted, please ask a moderator before telling the members to use it.
John: *looks around* I don’t like the look of this.

Sandra: Stop being such a wimp.

-Use a standard writing format (first or third person) instead:
(Example)
John could feel himself shaking as he stepped into the gloomy hallway. He could feel death seeping through every crack of the house, could hear the screams of those who had died in it. “I don’t like the look of this,” he stammered.
“Stop being such a wimp,” Sandra replied briefly.
The choice between using either the first or third person is up to the game master. Follow his or her instructions in regard to that.
Question Topics:
-All non-RPG topics (including awards) have to be approved by a moderator of the RPG forum.
-"What happened to my RPG”; "Why won't anyone join my RPG?" and such will not be approved. So don't even bother asking. Concerning the answers to these questions:
"What happened" - Probably, no one posted in it for too long, and it was then deleted when Kevin pruned the board (to save server space). If you feel your RPG was updated fairly recently (in the last five days or so) but then vanished, contact the moderators. They may be able to help you further. The situation could also be that a moderator deleted the topic. If this is true, one of them would obviously know.
"Why won't anyone join?" - Perhaps they simply aren't interested in the plot you are offering. Perhaps they don't like the restrictions on characters you are using. There are many reasons, and no one can really give you an answer. If no one will join, then you may as well try with another RPG and delete your previous attempt.

Character Control

Anyone may use anyones character as long as it is in certain limitations of the character. Interperet it as you wish, but you may NOT complain they used your character. You waive all right the second you sign up for an RPG

Sign-Ups by Audition/Misc. rules
-The owner of the RPG has the right to dismiss you as he pleases. He needs no reason beyond not fitting.
-If they would like an 'audition' topic, that is their business. NOT yours. You have no right to complain. Their RPG, your problem.
- "Closed Sign Ups" Are allowed. This is when the creator of an RPG decides that he/she already knows who the cast will be, but needs to formally post their sign ups like any other RPG. These RPGs do not allowed new members to join with out an 'invitation'.

Addition by Rudy
True or Dare topics/posts
After the recent posts made in this forum I talked to the other mods and we all pretty much agreed that ToD related topics and posts should be banned. Certain things (such as making someone post in another color that they normally don't use)will be ok however since it doesn't affect the RPG's or cause a huge mess that me, Kalah and Gav would need to clean up.

firepokemon
21st September 2002, 08:57 AM
Ok I don't know whether I should do this here. But any RPGs I am involved in I will have to pull out of. I simply do not have the time I feel is required to participate in them properly.

The Muffin Man
21st September 2002, 09:43 AM
Well, this usually goes into the topic you signed up in(Editing your post) but thank you for the warning.

Ho-oh2001
9th October 2002, 03:22 PM
"All in-characters posts in an RPG should be of a reasonable length (The moderators are free to determine what is reasonable and what is not, depending on the circumstances in the RPG. A post of under four lines is reasonable.)"

Shouldn't that read "A post of under four lines is not reasonable"? I mean, 4 lines doesn't seem like a normal, well thought out post to me...

The Muffin Man
9th October 2002, 09:05 PM
Umm Umm Umm...*adds "Questioning what a mod wrote is against the rules" and ushers Ho-oh off*
I was...umm...seeing who actually read the rules*lookout*

Super pika
19th December 2002, 12:32 PM
This may be a stuped question but, can the game master have his/her own charicature?

Pokemaster Cody
21st December 2002, 12:07 PM
Character?
Yes... just don't make yourself too special or too good.

Asilynne
21st December 2002, 04:26 PM
I just gotta know, else it'll bother me :P
What is a 'dance RPG', and how the heck can you pull something like that off? *.* It doesnt seem to make much sense...:confused:

Twizzler0171
5th January 2003, 12:59 AM
How many sentances, lines, or words does your message need to be to be acceptable for an in-charactor RPG?

The Muffin Man
5th January 2003, 03:13 PM
-All in-characters posts in an RPG should be of a reasonable length (The moderators are free to determine what is reasonable and what is not, depending on the circumstances in the RPG. A post of under four lines is not reasonable.)

Thank you for reading the rules -_-;;

Twizzler0171
5th January 2003, 07:41 PM
Okay, thanks Muffin. Next time I'll know!

Lorelei
11th February 2003, 04:47 PM
I know there's a rule regarding the control of a character, but what about if someone uses your character? Because, what if someone signed up in another topic with a character almost identical to yours, is there an unwritten rule against that?

The Muffin Man
11th February 2003, 04:58 PM
It's an unwritten rule, yes. It depends on the person. For example, I'd be more than happy to let Ginger use one of my characters, but would not be caught dead seeing one pop up in DBs RPGs without me signing up(Unless Ginger JOINED DBs RPG o_O;)

But for the most part, it's kind of a "permission first" type dealy.

Andrew
12th February 2003, 10:19 PM
Quick Q, I'm not much of an RPGer, but what happens when say you take your character outside, leave two in a room to talk and go do your own thing, state this clearly and all. But the VERY NEXT POST one of the people in the room that you said you left say that you're still in that room.

How do you deal with that kind of problem? Do you go on regardless and ignore their lack of continuity or do you post pointing out their fault or what?
Thanks!

The Muffin Man
15th February 2003, 07:25 PM
You either let them get away with it and end up creating the next Kalad or DB, or you tell them and have them edit it. If all else fails, contact one of us with the problem.

Knight of Time
26th February 2003, 12:51 PM
Hi!

I have a question I'd like answered please.

Is the creator(are the creators) allowed to ask a person (via AIM or a PM) to join his/her/their RPG (e.g. if the RPG was getting very few people to join it, or if one or both creators wanted to invite that particular person)?

The Muffin Man
26th February 2003, 02:46 PM
It's actually preferred they ask in IMs or PMs for you to join, as it makes the RPG alot friendlier.

Knight of Time
26th February 2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
It's actually preferred they ask in IMs or PMs for you to join, as it makes the RPG alot friendlier.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant (I have an RPG here, PokeQuest, which I am doing with Charizard04621), TMM. ^_^

The_Hunter
9th June 2003, 05:26 AM
Okay,I'm not sure why you closed my RPG Sign-up topic...:confused:
I didn't see anything wrong with it..

Duo_Washu_III
18th March 2004, 03:21 PM
i didn't see anything wrong with the final fantasy: age of darkness, also...

The Muffin Man
18th March 2004, 08:07 PM
http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27014

You mean the first one? The one that didn't have any sort of sign-up, plot, or anything that an RPG is required to have?

Gothic Animé
19th March 2004, 06:07 AM
Yeah, OK, but I gave everything leading up to that point in the sign up topic for it, so the people who are in it know the story....

*GuyPersonDude*
24th March 2004, 09:08 PM
Yes, so I don't see why there was anything wrong with it, so long as she had it somewhere for reference.

Edit: My space bar wasn't working.

Heald
24th April 2004, 06:03 PM
1) When was Mike demodded? And why?

2) I think we should add another sticky topic: Leave of Absence. If people are going on holiday or leaving the forum (which seems to becoming the 'in' thing nowadays) then instead of spamming up all the topics they can just put one post in here. It'd make things a lot simpler because most people don't bother posting that they're going to be away at all.

The Muffin Man
26th April 2004, 11:11 AM
1) When was Mike demodded? And why?

Over the weekend and PM or IM me or somethin for the full story. I'll rarely be coming back to TPM.