PDA

View Full Version : 2003: Year of the RPG?

Slowking Man
26th January 2003, 08:57 PM
After looking at numerous gaming news sources, I've noticed something. There are a ton of great RPGs coming out this year. There's Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Pokémon R/S, several Final Fantasy games, Zelda: The Wind Waker (yes, Zelda is a semi-RPG), Golden Sun 2, a GameCube Pokémon game... I'm certainly excited, as RPG is my favorite genre. Perhaps this is the year that RPGs can finally get some mainstream exposure. They've been mostly shunned on the current generation of consoles. Even PS2 hasn't had that many, and the genre's been pretty much non-existent on GameCube and XBox. Any thoughts?

PNT510
26th January 2003, 09:05 PM
Out of the games you listed, some seem underwhelming, like pokemon(no real big change has ever come to the games) and SoA(The orignal for DC was poor because to many random battles). Zelda isn't really and RPG, but looks fun. Several FF games are coming out? Please name them. Golden Sun does look good though.

Slowking Man
26th January 2003, 10:18 PM
Ah! Englighten you I must! *stops talking like Yoda* I'm not trying to offend you or anything; I'm just pointing out some things in your post that I think you don't fully understand. Pokémon R/S, from what I can tell of others' impressions, actually does have some changes. I've heard that the plot is much deeper than past Pokémon games. Also, the 2-on-2 battles definitely bring more originality to the game. In Skies of Arcadia: Legends, the number of random battles has been cut down. In fact, the developers basically fixed most of the complaints about the original, and added new content on top of it, such as the optional bounty hunts. This is how games should be ported. Zelda is, in fact, an RPG. Its official genre is Adventure/RPG. And there are three FF games coming out that I know of: FF X-2 (PS2), FF Tactics Advance (GBA), and FF Crystal Chronicles (GCN). Time for me to stop typing. :D

PlatinumHawke
27th January 2003, 12:48 AM
Aren't you forgetting about .hack and XenoSaga, perhaps the two reasons I've totally decided to get a PS2 (after the price drop, of course).

tron
27th January 2003, 02:17 AM
Argh. Ever since Zelda 64 people have been saying Zelda is an RPG. If Zelda is an RPG then so is Star Fox Adventures or Mario for that matter. Zelda has always been of the Action/Adventure flavor, never an RPG.

Also you forgot several games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Galaxies and Fable (AKA Project Ego)

so fly supersky
27th January 2003, 06:26 PM
Zelda is an action/RPG, you do play a role and Link does become a better warrior with time.

Mario is a platfomer action/adventure game. He collects shines in any order you choose and he has lives when he starts a level. Much different. Though Starfox does seem like an action/RPG to me as well, I have no problem admitting that.

PNT510
29th January 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by so fly supersky
Zelda is an action/RPG, you do play a role and Link does become a better warrior with time.

Mario is a platfomer action/adventure game. He collects shines in any order you choose and he has lives when he starts a level. Much different. Though Starfox does seem like an action/RPG to me as well, I have no problem admitting that.

In that sense MGS would be an RPG also. Which it's not.

Slowking Man - I played Pokemon R/S it's still the same basic gameplay I was playing on my gameboy years ago. As for SoA, I will check it out if it is improved over the DC version.

so fly supersky
29th January 2003, 05:05 PM
Well no, I didn't include a entired definition there. I haven't played much Metal Gear Solid but from what I grasp it's played in levels so it can't be an RPG, it needs to be played in a whole world like Zelda. Not in missions.

Face it, Zelda is a type of RPG, of the action/strategy sort.

PNT510
29th January 2003, 06:38 PM
Well no, I didn't include a entired definition there. I haven't played much Metal Gear Solid but from what I grasp it's played in levels so it can't be an RPG, it needs to be played in a whole world like Zelda. Not in missions.

Face it, Zelda is a type of RPG, of the action/strategy sort.
MGS is played in levels even less so than Zelda is. Zelda has different temples that are much so like levels

tron
30th January 2003, 02:55 PM

If you consider any game that is played in a continous world to be an RPG, then by your reasoning, the Grand Theft Auto series must also be considered as RPGs.

ZELDA IS AN ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME NOT AN RPG :yes:

Drunken Pirate
30th January 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Slowking Man
After looking at numerous gaming news sources, I've noticed something. There are a ton of great RPGs coming out this year. There's Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Pokémon R/S, several Final Fantasy games, Zelda: The Wind Waker (yes, Zelda is a semi-RPG), Golden Sun 2, a GameCube Pokémon game... I'm certainly excited, as RPG is my favorite genre. Perhaps this is the year that RPGs can finally get some mainstream exposure. They've been mostly shunned on the current generation of consoles. Even PS2 hasn't had that many, and the genre's been pretty much non-existent on GameCube and XBox. Any thoughts?

I see you didn't mention Phantasy Star Online, Neocron, or any of those PC games that will OWN the **** out of any of those games. Bah. newbs.

so fly supersky
30th January 2003, 06:08 PM
Nah, Zelda's definately an RPG of sorts. You'll learn that eventually. And when did I say a game taking place in a world makes it an RPG? Read closer.

Anyone else looking forward to Sudeki? That may be the one game that could possibly force me to buy an Xbox, dangit.

tron
30th January 2003, 06:32 PM

You said here that MGS isn't an RPG because it's played in missions. Yet Zelda is because you play it in a 'whole world'.

And when did I say a game taking place in a world makes it an RPG? Read closer.

Look up.

Am I missing something here?

The Muffin Man
30th January 2003, 09:34 PM
*opens mouth*...

No, too easy.

Anyway, Zelda is an Action/RPG. It fits into both action and RPG categories. If you do not believe so, ask Nintendo. I'm sure they know Video Games much better than you, Tron. Especially there own.

Secondly, Golden Sun 2. That will r0x0r everyone.

Finally. Diablo 3 > EVERYONE.

Drunken Pirate
30th January 2003, 09:36 PM
Diablo 3 will never come out, and if they actually scrounge up some crazy plot for it it won't be coming out in 2003.

PNT510
31st January 2003, 02:58 PM
According to nintendo.com Harry Potter is an RPG. Please correct me if I am wrong.

kurai
31st January 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Anyway, Zelda is an Action/RPG. It fits into both action and RPG categories. If you do not believe so, ask Nintendo. I'm sure they know Video Games much better than you, Tron. Especially there own.

You must not know Nintendo very well, or they lied to you, as they have told me that they do not support your view point.

From the Nintendo website:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=298) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=314) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=315) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=1381) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=147) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=146) - Adventure

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=823) - Adventure

Don't continue this stupid argument, Zelda 1 and 2 were the most RPG-like of the series, and those days have been over for many years. Zelda has RPG elements, but tons of games that aren't RPGs have RPG elements (including puzzle games, racing games, some recent sports simulations: the elements are sneaking in to everything lately).

Yosmon
31st January 2003, 07:05 PM
meh i don't like this argument its stupid really

the whole adventure genre is basicly RPG w/o the shipload of text and stats

ultimate zapdos
2nd February 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Pants the Miltank
many random battles). Zelda isn't really and RPG, . .
are you sure about that????

ultimate zapdos
2nd February 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Pants the Miltank
According to nintendo.com Harry Potter is an RPG. Please correct me if I am wrong.
you're right but i like correcting people anyway so YOU'RE WRONG
te hee. hey i'm just fooling with you

red13n
3rd February 2003, 11:16 PM
I am surprised many of the PS2 upcoming RPGs somehow strayed out of this topic(and were nonexistant basically). Particularly, I am really looking forward to Star Ocean 3, seeing as it looks great from what I can see right now, and SO2 was an excellent game on the PSX.

PNT510
5th February 2003, 08:04 AM
I totaly forgot about Star Ocean 3. I love SO2. It was one of my favorite PSX games(basicly all RPG were my favorite :o)

so fly supersky
5th February 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by tron
You said here that MGS isn't an RPG because it's played in missions. Yet Zelda is because you play it in a 'whole world'.

Look up.

Am I missing something here?

Late reply, sorry, been busy.

Yes, but I never said taking place in a huge interactive world was the only thing that makes an RPG, nor did I say taking place in such a world makes it an RPG automatically. I just said that an RPG needs to take place in a huge interactive world.

But enough of that, lets not argue, we'll each call it whatever we want.

Who's excited by Sudeki dangit???!!!

PNT510
5th February 2003, 10:05 PM
I haven't heard much on Sudeki, but I am excited about Fable.

so fly supersky
6th February 2003, 01:32 PM
What is Fable exactly? I haven't seen anything about it? What system, what type of RPG and when's it being released.

Sudeki just looks cool because it's an action RPG with four characters, ability to go into bullet time and the two different worlds that mirror each other like in Link to the Past.

woz
6th February 2003, 02:53 PM
What is Fable exactly? I haven't seen anything about it? What system, what type of RPG and when's it being released.

you might know it better as project ego, for xbox.

bb88
12th February 2003, 09:48 PM
Diablo 3's plot: Tyrael gets corrupted while he's destroying the stone. He revives Diablo, who in turn revives his brothers, Mephisto and Baal. Your next to last boss could be Tyrael, and your final could be some sort of crazy Diablo/Tyrael hybrid. Good stuff right there.

And I'm looking foward to FFX-2, Xenosaga, and Zelda (regardless of what genre it falls into. It will kick much bootay anyway).

Slowking Man
16th February 2003, 10:42 PM
Gosh, it's not like I could list every single RPG coming out this year. You don't have to jump all over me. These are simply the ones that came to mind. I did forget Star Wars: Galaxies, though, as someone pointed out. This game will suck up many, many hours of my life.

The entire RPG genre is sort of poorly defined. Some people say that Zelda is an RPG, some don't. Who cares? It'll be a great game no matter what genre it's classified under.