PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Advance 3

Metal Claw
10th April 2004, 11:07 AM
It appears that a new installlment of Sonic is appearing on the GBA. Sonic Advance 3 is to be out this summer....but what I saw from the pictures on the link I've posted below....has led me to infer that it is more of a SonicHeroes for GBA....considering the Boss Rooms, mulitplayer, and dialogue between characters.....

I guess we'll see....
http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/595/595663/imgs_1.html

Lezta
10th April 2004, 11:26 AM
I forsee two possiblities: It refines the Chaotix/Crackers concept and is actually amazing or it is just another Chaotix/Crackers.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to it anyway: the Advance series hasn't let me down yet.

Metallix
10th April 2004, 04:34 PM
Bleh, the ROM was leaked a month ago, so most of the Sonic community has already played it.

I haven't though, I'm actually gonna buy the game. :p

The opinions on the game I've read so far have been mixed tho.

andyizcool
10th April 2004, 05:10 PM
I've seen some Screenshots and they're all with 2 Characters helping each other. Like Sonic and Knuckles or Sonic and Tails. Looks like this game could be like Sonic Heroes and that was poorly I think. Sonic Advance was great I fully completed that. Sonic Advance 2 got harder and more boring and I still need to complete that. Sonic Advance 3 looks good but I'll need to read about it before buying it.

Metal Claw
12th April 2004, 07:41 PM
I'll buy it anyway, however......I think that a port of Sonic 3 and Sonic And Knuckles in one GBA cartridge would be great!

Razola
15th April 2004, 02:24 PM
The Sonic Advance series has yet to fail me. I think the bosses of Advance 2 were a bit tedius, but still solid. Nice to see some gameplay changes for the third one. The Chaotix mechanics were interesting, so I hope they can make it work for this game.

andyizcool
15th April 2004, 06:43 PM
I'll buy it anyway, however......I think that a port of Sonic 3 and Sonic And Knuckles in one GBA cartridge would be great!
You can buy Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube. It comes with all the Sonic games from the past. I use it to play Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles. I think that game was the best 2D Platformer ever. It had everything in it for a long Platformer game that kept you on it for hours. I hope my friend or someone gets Sonic Advance 3 just so I can give it a little test before I buy it.

Metal Claw
17th April 2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Andy, however I actually have EVERY Sonic game made except the first one for Game Gear and remakes (SA2Battle and SADX). I should have clarified myself, I wanted those Genesis classics on a GBA cartridge...to play on the go.

Legends-Kuja
25th May 2004, 12:54 PM
Sonic Advance 3 is out today....

I'm one of the poor idiots who downloaded the ROM. Loved it, but my computer sucked, so I couldn't really enjoy it. I wanna buy it.

Unlike 90% of the populace, I preferred the Sa2 style of bosses. 3's sucked, because they were either way too easy or hard only due to my computer sucking. My only disappointment with the game. I'll see what it's worth once I get the game itself...

Razola
25th May 2004, 02:39 PM
I despised SA2 bosses. Initally pretty cool, but it got old very fast. And the boss that is Knuckles (until you unlock him) is INCREDIBLY cheap.

What pleases me with the Advance series is that they manage to tweak the game yet keep the Sonic feel. SA1 was more focused on big levels with exploration. SA2 had exploring as well, but was much more focused on speed. SA3 adds the buddy system, which sounds really cool. I went to buy it today, but it wasn't out. So I got Mario vs. Donkey King and the Rise of Nations expansion. I'll SA3 later, play the ROM in the mean time.

TeleFox
27th May 2004, 04:12 AM
And the boss that is Knuckles (until you unlock him) is INCREDIBLY cheap.

Agreed, that whole "Im a gonna slap a you face" thing got depressing after a while. And was it just me, or could it kill you even if you had rings, provided it hit you the wrong way?

I like Metal Claw's idea, S3 & K was so good... I wouldn't mind seeing Sonic CD on GBA too, the original music was awesome, I was lucky to get the pacific version, which was in English, but with mostly original soundtrack.

Razola
27th May 2004, 11:13 AM
Agreed, that whole "Im a gonna slap a you face" thing got depressing after a while. And was it just me, or could it kill you even if you had rings, provided it hit you the wrong way?
If it smacked you rather than you bumping into it, there's a chance you'd die as if you were crushed. It was the sole reason that boss killed me 5,000 times.

Andrew
27th May 2004, 06:22 PM
I've never been a Sonic Person (well there was that stint with Sonic battle) mainly because all you do is hold the arrow button and watch Sonic run run run run (Besides, everyone loves Tails more, Right!?)

But I was enticed by this, and it steals a tiny bit from the teaming up feature of Donkey Kong.

But after 4-5 hours I'm onto Cyber Land or something, and I have Sonic, tails and Knuckles. I'm not amused. The amount of brainpower you need to work out the "Puzzles" is probably around the level of a chimp. It makes me miss DKC2 as my favouritist platformer ever.

But well, speed doesn't make a game instantly better. And while this game LOOKS purdy, its pretty boring.

Razola
27th May 2004, 07:29 PM
You know they're making a GBA port of DKC2? Of course, I have both the original for SNES (110% complete baby!) and I think the ROM is tucked away on my PC in case I ever got the urge.

EDIT: DKC3 was the most dissapointing in my opinion. DKC2 truly was the best of the trilogy.

phaedrus
27th May 2004, 07:31 PM
just looks like any other sonic game.

sa1 got hella boring, so i stopped there.

that's why i'm waiting for The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap for gba. =) it's gonna be awesome, or so i've heard.

for gcn, probably some odd game.

Andrew
27th May 2004, 08:30 PM
Yep Raz, I am thrilled to see they're porting DKC2, and about damn time too, its fantastic. A is jump, B is attack. L is for teaming up an R is for charge attack. Sel, for character change.

I agree that 2 was teh best of the series, 3 was far too annoying, Kiddy was to blame IMO.

Crazy
27th May 2004, 09:03 PM
*Looks at topic title*. You forgot to add a word at the end, what you meant to name this topic is that Sonic Adventure 3 SUCKS. They are all the same, you can't do a platformer/runner whatever it is on a GBA cause they all have similar graphics and they are all side scrolling.

Razola
27th May 2004, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry you lack imagination Crazy, but there is a lot you can do with side scrollers.

Sonic fun because it's cool to just blast through the various paths. SA2 added the nice R button to the mix, which made it more twitch gaming (have to do the special jumps with R or you fall to your death).

I don't why Sonic is fun, but it is. You can do a lot with it as well. SA3 looks promising with target times to get through each level and the exploration required to get the collectables.

Crazy
27th May 2004, 10:52 PM
I don't lack imagination, I write stories(fantasy stories),play blue version,and even make comics. It is just that they look far to similar which takes the imagination out of it.

Razola
27th May 2004, 11:03 PM
Looks doesn't equal Gameplay.

Crazy
28th May 2004, 07:49 AM
Actually looks do affect gameplay to a certain degree. The looks affect the gameplay do to experience,interaction,and other things. I doubt you would play a stick figure game with no back grounds if it was rumored to have good gameplay. You can't say that they don't effect it.

Razola
29th May 2004, 01:01 PM
Bought it yesterday. I like the use of an overworld and the bosses are pretty creative (I love the one where you have to continously climb up the tower). Grinding is finally done right (hit anywhere on the rail starts the grin). And they finally got the Choas Emerald bit right: you don't have to find all the chaos in one run through a level. It was damn near impossible to do it in SA2.

The partner system gives more purpose to the multiple character engine Sonic Team has been feeding us. Having a partner influences every move of your main character. For example, Amy can hover in the air when Tails or Cream is teamed up with her, whereas with Sonic she can do the standard spin jump (normally she doesn't spin when she jumps). Also, each character has a few global abilities when you hit R. Tails can shoot you in the air or fly you places, Cream will let you use her homing Chao, Cheese, etc. There's now enough varying play styles that you feel compelled to replay the levels over again. There just wasn't enough differences between characters in past Advances to play the game as each one.

One gripe I have is the insistence of unlocking characters. This in itself isn't bad, but when they require you to play as Sonic it is. Unless you check ahead on GameFAQs and know what levels unlock a character, you are forced to spend the first 18 levels of the game playing as Sonic until you've unlocked them all. Not that bad since I want to replay the levels with new character combos anyways, but it would've been nice to have some strategy other than "This level is ideal for Tails, but I have to play as Sonic or I might skip an unlockable character."

Otherwise, good game. Pick it up for just $25 at Best Buy.

Legends-Kuja
30th May 2004, 08:16 PM
^This game pwns you.

Crazy, I guess Sonic doesn't suit you. I can't exactly tell you why I like playing SOnic games if they're so fast and easy, but to each his own.

Like Raz said above, this game is teh sw33t. The graphics are very impressive for a GBA game (just wait until you get to Chaos Angel. You just might crap your pants.). The partner ability is sweet too (although if you're in a rush, the partnership only matters in a boss duel.)

Speaking of bosses, I was DEAD WRONG saying that Sa3's bosses were easier. The first three (more speficially the second and the third) were easy, but after that... you are screwed. I mean, I've had an easier time fighting Sonic 2's game gear bosses than these guys! THEY HURT!

This game is shorter and harder than Sa2 (but longer than Sa1). If you enjoyed either one, you'll love this one! :badsmile:

Gengachu
30th May 2004, 08:48 PM
I'm not a huge fan of sonic, but his games are all right. I finally got the Sonic Mega Collection, but it's missing some stuff. No Sonic CD(one of the few Sonic games I really liked) and Knuckles Chaotix(I want to play this one without getting a 32X and not on an emulator). Sound emulation seems to be a bit fuzzy, but it's not too bad. It's decent, but it should've had more(yes I know about the unlockables). I might get Sonic Advance 3, after the other 2. I played roms of them and they're all right. They actually seem a little better than the Genesis ones, but I guess that's just me.

Razola
31st May 2004, 01:49 AM
The bosses are pretty tough unless you have Cream with a parnter that allows Cheese to do his homing death attack. Then it's very easy not only to kick ass, but get a gold medal every time.

I guess that's why she's locked until 6-3.

PNT510
31st May 2004, 03:49 AM
I'm not a huge fan of sonic, but his games are all right. I finally got the Sonic Mega Collection, but it's missing some stuff. No Sonic CD(one of the few Sonic games I really liked) and Knuckles Chaotix(I want to play this one without getting a 32X and not on an emulator). Sound emulation seems to be a bit fuzzy, but it's not too bad. It's decent, but it should've had more(yes I know about the unlockables). I might get Sonic Advance 3, after the other 2. I played roms of them and they're all right. They actually seem a little better than the Genesis ones, but I guess that's just me.

Personlly I think people need to stop bitching about how Sonic Mega collection should have had more. It's missing like 3 games. Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, and Sonic R. None of which were on the genisis, like the rest of the games in the collection.

Razola
31st May 2004, 10:03 AM
I'm more angry about how crappy it was handled. Didn't anyone really want the old slowdown from the genesis versions? In a freaking game about SPEED?

That and you unlocked games by playing other games 150 times. How idiotic.

andyizcool
31st May 2004, 02:37 PM
That and you unlocked games by playing other games 150 times. How idiotic.
I hate the part where you have to play the other games so many times or have some save data on your memory card from other Sonic games on the Gamecube.

The only decent game on the whole of Sonic Mega Collection is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's really the only reason I got Sonic Mega Collection, so I could play my favourite game from the past.

Does anyone know how hard getting Emeralds is on Sonic Advance 3? I could get the Emeralds easily on Sonic Advance and that counted for all the characters. Sonic Advance 2 I couldn't get any Emeralds and you need to get them all from every character. I want to try and fully complete a game. I'm not good at platformers but I just like Sonic.

Razola
31st May 2004, 09:28 PM
Getting emeralds isn't too difficult in 3. If you are playing it with Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 3, the master emeralds can be a bit tricky at first.

andyizcool
1st June 2004, 10:24 AM
Has Sonic Advance 3 been released in America yet? I just wanted to know to see if anyone has played it and got a review or something about it. This could help me now more about the game hopefully. Thanks for any help.

Razola
1st June 2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it's been out for about a week now. You can get a big list of reviews from either GameRankings or GameStats.

Andrew
1st June 2004, 08:39 PM
I am like onto the final level and I only have annoying Knuckles, as well as Fantastic tails and mediocre Sonic. How can I add some girl power onto my 2/3 annoying team?

Razola
1st June 2004, 09:38 PM
Play as Sonic on the third act of each world. Cream is in world 6, while I think Amy is either 3 or 4.

EDIT: Sonic as your first character. He can't just be your partner.

andyizcool
2nd June 2004, 06:11 AM
Would you recommend I buy Sonic Advance 3 when it's released in the UK? I have Sonic Advance 1 fully completed and Sonic Advance 2 cleared with just 2 characters with no Emeralds. I like the Sonic games better in 2D than 3D just because I can't control 3D Platformers very well. I have liked some of the past Sonic games too.

Razola
2nd June 2004, 07:43 AM
I got mine for 25 US dollars (probably 30 or so pounds I'm not going to look up current values) . If you can get it for around that price, go for it. But I know some places will sell it for 10-15 dollars more.

Andrew
2nd June 2004, 07:46 AM
Wow, finished this game.

How dissapointing.

Its not really fun, its just mildly pretty.

Harry Potter RPG POA> Sonic Advance 3. That's 2 games I beat today.

Legends-Kuja
6th June 2004, 08:58 AM
^You= sad man. You don't even have any chaos emeralds, do you?

Go find them. Then beat Eggnagun with Sonic as leader. You're in for a surprise.

Razola
6th June 2004, 10:21 AM
Sonic Advance always managed to amaze me in how hard it is to get an emerald. I have several levels where there is only ONE CHAO LEFT. I've dedicated at least five hours of my life in level 1-3 looking for that last damned Chao.

andyizcool
6th June 2004, 02:02 PM
^You= sad man. You don't even have any chaos emeralds, do you?

Go find them. Then beat Eggnagun with Sonic as leader. You're in for a surprise.
Classic Sonic Adance 1, Sonic Advance 2, and Sonic Heroes style I bet. Transforms into Super Sonic and goes into space for some ultimate battle against Eggman. The older games where much better where you could use Super Sonic or even Hyper Sonic in every Level.

Metallix
6th June 2004, 09:05 PM
I got the US import last week, and I can definately say it's ALOT better than SAdv1 and SAdv2 were, however, it still falls short of the Mega Drive games.

My main gripe are those damn hidden Chao, for Christ sake......would it not hurt them to use the Sonic 1/CD/Pocket Adventure way of entering the Special Stage again? (Collect 50 Rings and jump into the big ring at the end of the stage), these hidden Chao really slow things down.

Oh, and the "Adventure" stages suck too.

The level design is a bit better than the last 2 games, theres still a few dodgy moments where you can hit spikes or a badnik after launching off a spring though. :-/

Bosses are better this time. Some of them actually put up a fight!

Anyways, thats really all I can say for now, gotta get the rest of those damn Chao....

Sonic Pocket Adventure is the best portable Sonic game tho. :p

Razola
6th June 2004, 09:23 PM
Classic Sonic Adance 1, Sonic Advance 2, and Sonic Heroes style I bet. Transforms into Super Sonic and goes into space for some ultimate battle against Eggman. The older games where much better where you could use Super Sonic or even Hyper Sonic in every Level.
Agreed to the max. Every Sonic Advance now ends with the same final stage as in Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles.

Why can't we play as Super or Hyper characters in any stage these days?

Metallix
6th June 2004, 11:04 PM
Agreed to the max. Every Sonic Advance now ends with the same final stage as in Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles.

Why can't we play as Super or Hyper characters in any stage these days?

First of all, regarding the Hyper characters:

They're really just in S3&K because of how damn big the game is. It would be FAR too easy to get all of the Chaos Emeralds by Launch Base Zone and just blast through the rest of the game as Super Sonic/Knuckles. So they added the Super Emeralds to give the game an added challenge. Doubt we'll see 'em again.

And your guess is as good as mine as for how we can't play as Super Sonic in the zones anymore. One theory is that in the Mega Drive games, Super Sonic could sometimes run AHEAD of the screen as he was so fast, and the GBA just can't handle it. (Doubt that though),

Razola
7th June 2004, 12:50 AM
I've had Sonic already do that in the Advance series.

Legends-Kuja
7th June 2004, 12:34 PM
That wasn't my point. Not so much as the tired Super Sonic Deathmatch (which is easier than last time) as is the very touching ending.

You won't see extra superforms mostly because it's been established SUPER SONIC CAN FLY. Yeah, sorta cheap if all Sonic has to do is scoop up 50 rings, morph, and then sora high throughout the stage. Sorta defeats the purpose of playing through levels again.

If Super Sonic didn't fly so prominently, we wouldn't have this problem, now would we?

The Muffin Man
7th June 2004, 01:00 PM
That wasn't my point. Not so much as the tired Super Sonic Deathmatch (which is easier than last time) as is the very touching ending.

You won't see extra superforms mostly because it's been established SUPER SONIC CAN FLY. Yeah, sorta cheap if all Sonic has to do is scoop up 50 rings, morph, and then sora high throughout the stage. Sorta defeats the purpose of playing through levels again.

If Super Sonic didn't fly so prominently, we wouldn't have this problem, now
would we?

Just like with Megaman Zero and Battle Network. The truth is shattered by the new games...

Super Sonic could never fly in Sonic 2 or 3 or S+K. EVER. Not even HYPER Sonic. But NOOO. The crappy Adventure Series had to make us think he could.

He cannot. He can run faster and is invincible. Hyper Sonic can create a flash to destroy all on-screen enemies. That's all they can do. Can they fly? No. Can they run so fast they they break away from gravity and hover a foot off the ground? Yes.

Metallix
7th June 2004, 01:47 PM
Actually, Super Sonic flies alongside Tails at the end of Sonic 2.

Razola
7th June 2004, 02:36 PM
Have you even played the Genesis series TMM? In Doomsday Zone, at the end of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Super/Hyper Sonic flies.

PhatZapdos
7th June 2004, 03:36 PM
teh genisis series is godly....played it like crack when i was young 8)

Drago
21st June 2004, 05:46 AM
Hmm, been playing it for a while now. It is an improvement over the last two, and perhaps the best Sonic title to come out for a while, but it's still not quite there.
Here are my thoughts...
Chaos Angel was my favourite stage by far, in any Sonic Advance. It was harder than usual, it had all the old tricks as well as a whole bunch of new ones, and the music was pretty cool, too. If the next game has more levels of this quality, we could see a return to Genesis quality. Almost.

The tag concept was wasted. There should've been more reliance upon it in places, or at least more places where you could try it out. Even the classic Tails flight carry is useless. The character dangles too low, and you end up getting separated from Tails.

Voice samples are a plus. They're subtle, but give deaths just a bit more umph (for that matter, am I the only one who thinks that death should just be a still frame, to emphasise the character looking at you like you screwed up). I applaud Sega for not using anything of Omochao's, though.

Each level needs more of a gimmick. Lava chase sections, control over a new aspect, etc. Make them feel more different, rather than the usual looping/grinding/springs.

I for one loved the parts in the Genesis titles where you had no control over where you were going. Maybe they should return (a little sparingly)?

Most people prefer the Genesis sprites to the Game Boy ones. Should Advance keep these ones or go oldschool? I think they should keep these ones, personally. I prefer the oldschool ones, but this represents a new Sonic attitude. And either way, Knux looked goofy whenever he got hit in S3&K.

Sonic is far too mediocre. Speed isn't a real big notion. Knuckles seems to go just as well, albeit with less acceleration. Bring back the powers of Sonic's elemental shields, and perhaps the jump dash of the first (and second?) Advance. The somersault attack is also too hard to control. Especially when you have Knux as partner, and Sonic goes careening off the edge (albeit with a pretty flame effect).

Why did Tails have to go from being cute to being kawaii? There's a visible difference, here...

There was more water than in previous Advances, which is good. Not enough, though. Water segments were challenging and rewarding, I hope the next game includes that.

Special stages were best in Sonic 2. Every game since then has felt like a rehashed version. I wouldn't complain if they just went back to the collect the rings, dodge the mines formula.

Boss fights were a highlight in the game. Very creative ideas, less 'dodge and counterattack'.

Personally, I preferred Sonic Battle. *dodges oncoming brick* My Emerl is spiffy.

Legends-Kuja
21st June 2004, 02:02 PM
Don't lookit me, I didn't throw that brick... now I actually want Sonic Battle...

I often used tag actions for mid-air recovery and backtracking, which I had to do a LOT for this game. As I said, angsting fanboys make it way too hard for me to enjoy Sonic, those idiots always want to play S3&K all day, when they KNOW Sonic CD was the best game ever. ;)

I think Sonic needs a break for about a year... maybe he''ll fight Mario or get into an RPG by then...

Razola
24th June 2004, 02:06 AM
Sonic Battle looks solid for Multiplayer, but it takes forever to build Emerl.

TeleFox
26th June 2004, 03:13 AM
Agreed... It's a pain if you get stuck on a certain battle and then have to train like anything just to get anywhere close to winning -_-

Good game nonetheless, Mulitplayer is great fun; both 2P & 3P have been great ^_^