PDA

View Full Version : Sketch vs team-mates

rinku
13th April 2004, 10:34 PM
I'm avoiding playing FRLG on emulator, so can someone answer this question for me:

Can Sketch be used to copy a team-mate's move when battling 2v2? If so, can it be used on a move targetted on an enemy, or does it have to be targetted on Smeargle?

If this is possible, it makes training up the right set on Smeargle just that much easier...

Don't Run With Scizors
13th April 2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I tried it a couple days ago with the Smeargle I snagged from Colosseum. Just have your Smeargle target the Pokémon whose move you want to copy, and it'll work.

rinku
14th April 2004, 01:39 AM
Sweet. 2v2 is also pretty useful for research - you can target an attack from one pokémon with precisely known stats on team mate with precisely known stats and get an exact damage result, all without linking.

Don't Run With Scizors
14th April 2004, 11:50 AM
...er, just in response to that bit about getting an exact damage result. The damage formula has a random factor in it. There's formulas for a minimum and maximum result, then it picks a random number between the two for the damage.

rinku
14th April 2004, 07:58 PM
Oh yeah - I knew that. Normally you'd run a bunch of trials to get a range. Sorry I might have implied otherwise - I just meant "the exact number of HP caused by that round's attack".

In particular I was thinking of using it to settle issues of multiplier effects - i.e. verifying that the damage formula has or has not changed from GSC in regard to stuff like STAB, super- and not- effective attacks, and new stuff like Pure Power. For that matter, you could use it to check if the random variation in the damage formula has changed...