PDA

View Full Version : The Human Condition

A Grilled Fish
14th April 2004, 09:20 AM
The Human Condition

It was another dark and gloomy day in the old man’s apartment. The apartment had but one room, and no windows. There was barely room for the old man’s minute bed. The only other entities in the room were an old broken typewriter and a tattered desk. The old man cared not for his typewriter or desk; even if the typewriter worked, the old man did not care to write. In fact, the only reason he kept them was that he did not want anyone else to have them. He was afraid that others would hideously misuse them, and so he carefully locked his door every time he went out.
The old man was afraid of other people’s actions in general. He was terrified at the thought that people could murder, steal, kill, commit suicide and adultery, lie, covet their neighbor’s lampshade, and all sorts of other atrocious and ghastly perversions. They spat, they littered, they chewed with their mouths open, they drooled, they snored, they coughed and sneezed without covering their mouths, they slept on benches covered with bird droppings, ate food that they had dropped on the filth and squalor of the grimy streets, and did not comb their hair. Other people wore ragged clothes, supported fascist ideas and slavery, and generally loved to watch other people’s pain. They would not help old women across a street, and would not hold doors for others. If they saw a person in need, they would walk by without notice. They would openly cheat, mock, ostracize, and purposely hold information from others for sheer wickedness. On a whole, other people were disgusting, iniquitous, filthy, nasty, cruel, malicious, and quite unkind.
The old man did not trust high-ranking authorities, police, firemen, postal workers, pizza deliverymen, actors, actresses, waiters, waitresses, cooks, farmers, programmers, garden hose manufacturers, and janitors, because they were all other people. When the old man went out, he would avoid coming into any contact with others, in fear that the human condition would infect him.
Various situations occasionally forced the old man into interaction with others, and he could only hope that the grime and filth of humanity was yet to taint them.
“Your total comes to thirty dollars,” the cashier said casually, chewing her gum ubiquitously with her mouth open. She snorted, and looked up at the old man. The old man locked eyes with her shortly. When she saw the horror and age in the old man’s eyes, she recoiled, startled at his expression. She took a small step back, and stammered, “Err…” The old man cut her off with a silent shake of his head. He placed thirty smudged dollars on the counter. She took the filth slowly, as if she was afraid that the old man had poisoned them. Ink and coffee stained the counter. After he had finished paying, the old man walked away from the counter, and pulled open the door. The handle was grimy, and the paint was chipped. He walked out and carried away the sandwich he had bought to the park, and sat down on a bench covered with bird feces. The bench was quite dilapidated. A brown paper bag danced across the park gracelessly as a gust of wind blew. The power lines above the old man crackled with electricity. Egg cartons and beer bottles, along with other flotsam and jetsam, filled the polluted brown lake. The old man took out his sandwich and took a bite. The old man was thirsty, but he did not trust the tap water as other people ran the water treatment plant. Suddenly, a man carrying a black briefcase ran past him. Shortly afterward, police ran in the same direction. The old man did not move his head, even as gunshots fired around him. He took another bite of his sandwich. As his teeth sunk into the sandwich, breaking through the layers of bread and meat, a bullet similarly lodged itself into his head, breaking through the layers of skin and bone. As the old man’s sight faded, he did not bother to cry in pain. There was nobody to listen.

Tainted
15th April 2004, 03:18 PM
Wow, don't know what to say. Powerful. Quite powerful. Very gripping, I want more. Poor old fart.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

A Grilled Fish
15th April 2004, 11:25 PM
Wow, don't know what to say. Powerful. Quite powerful. Very gripping, I want more. Poor old fart.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Thank you for your input. I may write more, but unfortunately, I have little time and much to do. I doubt it will be a while before I write again.

I also don't have the patience to keep up a long novelish type fic. Happy to hear it's gripping!

Iveechan
16th April 2004, 12:11 AM
You should publish a collection of oddities, er, short stories. There's something hauntingly charming about this... draws me to it... the old man makes me think of me except I am neither old nor a man.

Chrono Storm
16th April 2004, 02:44 PM
...Wow. Something from you that is NOT insane? Sweet. Ah, yes, the story. Like I said, it's not something I'd expect from you, but still quite good. The old man sort of reminds me of my views on humanity when I'm in a bad mood.

The Decapitated Mole
16th April 2004, 04:03 PM
Interesting... It's not like anything else that I've seen you do, but still... it's oddly, well, good. The old guy sounds like an older version of me...

Interesting story. You're a talented writer, and I hope you can find time to write more.

o_0
jimm

Tyler and Hobbes
16th April 2004, 10:33 PM
Wow... :oh: that story was haunting. For some odd reason it reminded me of 1984. Even that first chapter took my breath away. The poor gaffer never saw it coming...yet he did....but then would he refuse essentials and stay in his own habitat? Boy, my head goes round and round.

In case you couldn't read through my droning, awesome novella.

Suite Madame Blue
17th April 2004, 12:00 AM
Dang, everybody else used my reaction - Wow. What a bleak, haunting, captivating picture you paint. Rich with description and example, I really got a feeling for who this guy was. So is this a first chapter, or a short? What would be interesting would be a series of shorts connected by the same setting but focusing on different characters: the cashier, the man with the briefcase, a cop, and anyone they might come into contact with.

mistysakura
17th April 2004, 04:42 AM
I shouldn't have ignored this... good stuff. Your choice of words makes the atmosphere so haunting, the picture of the old man so real. Makes me think of those pessimistic idiots who are afraid of everything, except on a way larger scale.
I hope you find time to write more.

A Grilled Fish
17th April 2004, 08:49 AM
To everybody: Thank you very much.

Tutankhamun
19th April 2004, 01:18 AM
Wow! That was really good! I would never expected (nor didn't read so far) anyone writing a short story with such, um, umph (bad choice of word). It looks like you spent a lot of time into it! I was picturing a Vietnam(sp) war veterin(sp) in New York city. Poor, lonely, living in bad conditions, and then figured that life isn't worth anything anymore.

There was one minor problem and that is paragraphs, but I really didn't pay any attention to that. I was drawn into the story. Like I was drawn into the title "The Human Condition". I'm studying up to be an Anthropologist (holistic view of humans), and that's what drawn me in.

Two thumbs up, and an applause! Great job!

A Grilled Fish
21st April 2004, 04:46 AM
Wow! That was really good! I would never expected (nor didn't read so far) anyone writing a short story with such, um, umph (bad choice of word). It looks like you spent a lot of time into it! I was picturing a Vietnam(sp) war veterin(sp) in New York city. Poor, lonely, living in bad conditions, and then figured that life isn't worth anything anymore.

There was one minor problem and that is paragraphs, but I really didn't pay any attention to that. I was drawn into the story. Like I was drawn into the title "The Human Condition". I'm studying up to be an Anthropologist (holistic view of humans), and that's what drawn me in.

Two thumbs up, and an applause! Great job!
I apologize for the paragraphs, they got kind of messed up once I copied and pasted them out of Word.

I admit it, I wrote this late at night (around 11:00) . Once I started writing, I couldn't stop until past midnight. I fell asleep, not realizing what horror I had typed. Later, I reread it, edited it a bit, and decided I got lucky. Hooray for the human race.

Thanks for the thumbs up, and as for Anthropology, I suggest that you read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

Suite Madame Blue
21st April 2004, 10:21 PM
Yay, another Douglas Adams fan! I would never have guessed that Dirk Gently influenced this.

Tutankhamun
21st April 2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the thumbs up, and as for Anthropology, I suggest that you read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

Out of topic: Hm. I think I have to read it in one of my classes. Thanks for the suggestion!

In topic: Yup, two thumbs up! So, are you going to post another installment or was that it?