PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages (Limits on)

Darien Shields
17th April 2004, 06:25 AM
Hey. It's possible that there always was a limit, I just wasn't aware of it, but I only noticed with the new format that you now have a "limit" of 20 PMs. This I found rather distressing as I had about 54 (including sent), and it took my a while to while that number down to 18, but I'm now unsure about somethings. Mainly this;

If I was PMed while I had too many PMs, will this stop me from receiving that PM?

If I weren't half-expecting a PM from some people I'd just brush it asside and guess I didn't get any, but this is really starting to bug me.

Plus I'm gonna have trouble keeping to 20... but that's my problem...

Chris
17th April 2004, 06:28 AM
If I was PMed while I had too many PMs, will this stop me from receiving that PM?

Yes. The sender of the PM would be given an error upon sending the PM stating that your inbox was full.

If you really need to keep PMs, just save them locally as text files or something, or opt to have E-Mail notification when someone sends you a PM and use the E-Mailed copy of the PM as your "backup"...

Little_Pikachu
17th April 2004, 11:47 AM
On the old vB my PM box was unlimited and I had close to 400 in there, then on the update I had to reduce that to less than 70... fun ~_~

The Decapitated Mole
17th April 2004, 06:14 PM
Well... I seem to remember the old limit being around 50 or so... I have 48 and I wasn't planning on cleaning out until I got two more (I'm lazy), but now I guess I'd better get on that...

o_0
jimm

Lady Vulpix
17th April 2004, 07:00 PM
Do different people have different PM limits? O_O

RedStarWarrior
18th April 2004, 12:50 AM
Yes, it depends on your level of access I think.

Andrew
18th April 2004, 01:06 AM
70 PM Limit 4 Supermods.

The Rusted One
18th April 2004, 01:41 AM
70 for less-than-supermods, too, it seems.

shazza
19th April 2004, 07:32 AM
I am sure you can change this "limit" somewhere around the CP? :confused:

Darien Shields
19th April 2004, 09:04 AM
That would be a pretty strange limit, you know, the kind that's not really a limit, but you can break if you want to? Yeah, you know what I mean. I still think 20's way to low. I'm gonna have to, I dunno, kill a mod and take there inbox. Either that or... become a mod. I dunno. The first sounds easier.

Question: Which one of you mods is most likely to die of a heart attack? I'm just asking.

I guess whatshisface had teh right idea with the text copies... Chris. Wow, is he related to Brit Chris? Maybe he's like the international version...

Chris
19th April 2004, 11:06 AM
I guess whatshisface had teh right idea with the text copies... Chris. Wow, is he related to Brit Chris? Maybe he's like the international version...

I'm not related to Brit Chris, honest... I live in England and everything, but I swear I don't know him and I'm not his brother... ;)

Anyway, the whole save-as-text-file or E-Mail method is what I've used in the past and it's always worked perfectly for me. It's useful for important PMs too. :)

Lady Vulpix
20th April 2004, 10:04 AM
Oh. I'll consider using that feature one of these days.

M1ND G4ME
13th May 2004, 08:23 PM
One Word. Email.

This is not spam, i will say more things so it is not two short sentences. blah blah blah.

Chris
14th May 2004, 01:48 AM
Hunter, why did you bump this?

Jay
14th May 2004, 02:27 AM
Good work necroing!!

I'm sure if you had some dramatic life threatening PMs that you don't want to delete, then you'd save them anyway to a document or something. Just delete the others; I don't see the point in keeping them. :mad:

Darkness
16th May 2004, 05:00 PM
Sorry to bring up a dead topic, but I have a point to make.

On most forum systems, you can have the limit for PMs set to 10000 and it won't make much of a difference. I'm on some other forums and my limits 1000 and I've used up 2/3's of it or so and the IPB people haven't complained.

Darien Shields
16th May 2004, 07:50 PM
If you really want to talk about PMs so much, maybe you should start a new topic? Gawd knows this one's died enough.

Chris
17th May 2004, 04:20 AM
Nah, I don't mind people bumping old topics here (no matter how old they are) as long as the posts are relevant to the topic. It's not the most active of forums anyway. :)

The reason we don't set the PM limit to something stupidly high is because knowing some people here, a number of users would choose to fill their PM boxes to 10,000 and would still have the audacity to ask for more (not naming any names), which would fill up our disk quota considerably...

RedStarWarrior
17th May 2004, 08:32 PM
50 seems a much more reasonable number.

PS - Why haven't you fixed my forum subscription problem?

Darien Shields
18th May 2004, 06:33 AM
Amen to that! I've wanted to subscribe to the Other Pokemon Games Forum for yonks now. Uuh, that was your problem, right? You didn't want to say, unsubscribe? 'Cause I'm fine for unsubscribing, I like having Fan Fiction and TWL... But yeah.

I would like to gripe about the low limit on PMs, but there seems little point, as it wouldn't make you change it, would it?

Darien Shields
1st June 2004, 07:43 AM
I just checked my PMs and my limit is now 40. Either somebody accidentally modded me *checks status*, no, or they've been increased! Thank you whoever did this!

Chris
1st June 2004, 09:11 AM
Kevin increased the limit (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28917). :)