PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Could it possibly survive?

Meowth_Kitten
20th April 2004, 04:47 PM
This morning, I was getting ready to talk out the door and head out for school. Well, I just happened to look down and on the porch was a newborn kitten. And it just so happens that it was raining, so the poor thing was chilled and frozen, barely alive. I called my dad to see it and when he touched it, it meowed slightly, so it was still with us. I couldn't bare to just leave it there, so I got a towel and brought the kitten inside. I was already late for school, but I didn't care. I took a few minutes to rub the kitten down to dry it off and try to get its blood circulating. It worked. I then warmed up a bit a milk and drop by drop fed the kitten with my finger. I couldn't stay home from school to take care of it and I knew it would never survive if I just left it there in the house by itself. So I took it to school with me! My band director is a very caring and understanding woman, so she immediately fell in love with the still half-dead kitten. She made a little nest for it out of a blanket and sent another student off the the science lab for an eye dropper. We cleaned the eye dropper out and bought some milk at the lunch room. With tender loving care, lots of eye dropper-feeding, and a warm water bottle to snuggle up to, the half dead kitten is now thriving as a normal, healthy kitten should. We saved its life.

1) Have you ever brought an animal back to life?
2) If so, what was the situation and how did you save its life?
3) What was the animal?
4) Was it a baby or an adult?
5) Did it survive? If so, how long did it take for it to thrive on its own?

Syberia
20th April 2004, 06:42 PM
1) I haven't personally, but my grandparents did when I was 4 or so.

2-5) It was a baby hummingbird that somehow got trapped in their garage for a day or so. When they found it, it was too weak to fly or do just about anything (I'm told those things need a lot of food to stay alive). They just basically set out a bowl of sugar water for it and left the garage door open so it could fly away when it felt like it. It was gone by the next day.

RedStarWarrior
20th April 2004, 06:44 PM
Nope.

N/A.

3) What was the animal?
N/A.

N/A.

N/A.

I hate it when polls are based on one question...:( You have had some hypothetical questions for those who haven't to answer.

Yukitsukai
20th April 2004, 08:08 PM
Poor kitten... :cry:

3) What was the animal?

1) Yep, when I was 9 or so.
2) I found it by the tree in my back yard and it had a broken leg :( I took it inside in a little shoe box with a little blanket and all and took care of it.
3) A little baby squirrel :(
4) Baby
5) Yep, it took quite a while (can't remember how long) but we let it go and it just scampered away like nothing was wrong.

Green_Pikachu
20th April 2004, 08:09 PM
yeah, i can't say i've ever saved an animal's life.

i've ended a few...but certainly never saved any.

Little_Pikachu
20th April 2004, 08:34 PM
I used to do some volunteer work at an animal shelter so I've taken part in the resurrections of a few half dead domestic animals, mostly dogs and cats, saving them from the brink of starvation or just keeping them warm and dry.
Nice story, MK, I hope the little kitten has a happy life from now on :)

Rambunctious Jamirus
20th April 2004, 09:10 PM
Not exactly but I saved my kitten from dying of starvation in August. If I did without me knowing, I'll edit.

We had gone "kitten hunting" since it was kitten season at my aunt's house. My mom said we could have one if we could catch one. So I went searching down in gutters (just shining a flashlight down the drain) but no luck. I went into the backyard and we heard something. There she was, a itty-bitty little thing, weak and barely able to walk. She came right out of the bricks to us and I picked her up (wrapping her in my shirt so she didn't claw me) and took her inside. My aunt had recently found a kitten (most possibly out of the same litter) and was feeding her so I placed her down by the food and water and stayed with her while she ate. We then took her home because a promise is a promise :)

3) What was the animal?
Calico kitten that looks like a bit of an inversed tiger with a giant blotch of orange on her forehead

Baby kitten. 4 weeks old at most and less than a pound.

Yep and now she's attacking lizards, bugs, and us. But she could probably survive on her own but we're keeping her.

shazza
21st April 2004, 05:11 AM
-No.
-N/A
3) What was the animal?
-N/A
-N/A
-N/A

You should have asked some questions on the people who answered No on question one.

Animelee
21st April 2004, 05:21 AM
1) My mom brought a four-year-old abandonned Maine Coon from outside, and I stayed up with him for the first week -- helping him get adjusted, feeding him, etc.

2) He was out there for two years, but we thought he belonged to someone who lived there, since we was always infront of the same area, wandering around. My mom then asked someone, and they said that the owners threw the cat outside and moved away, and since then, everyone's been feeding him scraps to keep him alive. None of them were kind enough to take him in, though. :mad2: Anyways, he was covered with mud, incredibly skinny, and he was weak as Hell.

3) A black and white Maine Coon (cat).

4) Maine Coons develop slower than regular housecats, and since males are supposed to be 12 to 15 pounds, and he's only about 9, I'd say he's not full grown yet. I guess he's a teen.

5) He was fine from the night my [kickass] mom brought him in, and went to the store and spent most of our bill money on cat supplies. 8) He's been here for almost six months, and his name is Absol Mewtwo. Absol because he's badass and black and white, and Mewtwo because he's a badass cat who was abandonned by the people he thought he could trust, and, because they're both cats. :lol: Since Maine Coons evolved differently than regular housecats, he's a lot closer to a lynx or bobcat, which is another reason to name him Absol Mewtwo. :lol:

If I get another cat, I plan to name him/her Windy Enekororo (Arcanine Delcatty). Heh, cool, Absol and Mewtwo both share the same names in Japanese and English, so his name works both ways.

By the way, awesome job on saving the kitten. You deserve a reward.

Number1ChanseyFan
21st April 2004, 08:56 AM
1. Yes.

2. This must have been about 10 years ago... there was a baby robin laying in my yard, I think that it's mother pushed it out of the nest before it was ready to fly, because it was laying underneath a tree, and there was a bird nest in the tree, and a larger robin (probably the mother) was sitting in the nest. The mother watched me and chirped as I got closer to the baby, but she didn't do anything else. I had my dad go up to the fishing store by our house and get some small worms. I then handfed the bird those worms. I don't really like touching worms, and I don't like using live things as food, but something took over when I saw the baby bird, and it didn't bother me at all.

3. A baby robin.

4. It was a baby.

5. Yeah, it was fine. After a couple of days of care, it was ready to fly off and start it's new life. I wanted to keep it, but my parents wouldn't let me, and they were right to do so. It wouldn't have been fair to keep that robin inside as a pet, it deserved to be outside like all other robins. But I was only 9 at the time, so I didn't really realize that at the time.

Wolfsong
21st April 2004, 09:16 AM
Yeah.
It was a litter that the mom had abandoned under my grandparent's house.
3) What was the animal?
It was kittens surprisngly. Normally my dad hates cats and wouldn't do anything to help them. However, cause i asked him too, he crawled under the house and got all three of the kittens.
they were babies
Yeah. It took me about an hour or two to get the first one to eate. After he started to eat the others soon followed. Two weeks later one of the kittens were killed by a neighbors dog, but the other two were ok. We had to get rid of the others though because of my allergies to cats x.x I really wanted to keep the orange striped one though. We called him Tiger. He was the one it took me so long to get to eat, as well as the most friendly of them all.

phaedrus
21st April 2004, 03:03 PM
1.nope. never been in that situation
2.n/a
3.n/a
4.n/a
5.n/a

Craig
21st April 2004, 03:36 PM
3) What was the animal?

1.Yea
2. our cat had kittens and this was the kitten it didn't really like. It was almost dead and we saved it... well temporarily. We warmed it up and gave it food and such (with that eye dropper thing you used..ish)
3. Himalayan Kitten
4. Very very young, too young to normally be "allowed" to hold it.
5. No :( The irony is we were sure it was going to live and named it "Lucky" and we were going to make it our pet, but the next 3 days it went to sleep and didnt wake up ;-;

Drago
23rd April 2004, 10:01 PM
The kitten... IT LIVES.

Yes, yes I have.
Well, there was a mouse that my sisters cat had mauled, who I whisked away before he could be completely mangled. He was free! ...To die a slow, painful death, unfortunately. Children really shouldn't intervene with such things.
Another time though, a bird (can't remember what exactly) flew into a window. It hadn't hit it hard enough to kill itself, but it was down for the count. Couldn't even fly without crashing and burning. However, I carried him in my trusty net and brought him into the garage with some seeds (sunflower? Poppy? Can't remember now). The next day when I opened the garage, he soared out the door into the distance. It's doubtful that I actually did much, but at least by keeping him in the garage I saved him from the damn cat. ^^;
3) What was the animal?
A... BIRD! Not a terribly big one, to my memory.
An adult, but obviously not an incredibly bright one.
It survived, and only took a day to recover. Or escape, in retrospect.

EDIT: Hey look, my three-year anniversery. Isn't that something.

Tainted
25th April 2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, once. A rabbit, already about six years old.

Well-- I found it outside in the freezing cold, and it was a domesticated rabbit, not a wild one... we don't really get wild ones where I live anyway. So I took it inside, I already had four rabbits, put it in a seperate cage, and fed it, kept it warm with a blanket, etc.

3) What was the animal?
Bunny.

An adult, already six or so years old.

It survived for a year and a half after I saved it, as it had a heriditary skin disease that kicks in naturally as it gets older. So it's hair started to fall out and it got bloody sores all over it's body. So I kept washing it and putting cream on the wounds but eventually it died.
It was a good bunny though, after I saved it, it took a liking to me.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Angel Blossom
25th April 2004, 03:28 PM
1) Yeah, I have before. It was ages ago - back when I was about to get into the 7th grade. It was in the middle of summertime, heh. ^^;; It is actually a heartbreaking story, since things didn't turn out so well. ><

2) I was walking back to our apartment with my mother and then we stumbled upon a baby Robin. It was very small & kind of fat, lol. It's wings were damaged and it was in no condition to fly. I don't think it could fly anyway. o_o I brought it into the house & gave it bread & fruits. It began to get well..

3) A wild baby Robin. It had a red chest & everything! ^^;;

4) BABY! Meh, maybe I should read the questions before I reply. XD It was a couple of weeks old. It couldn't even fly yet by the looks of it. The bird was very young & fragile so I was very careful with him.

5) *sniff* :cry: The day before, I was playing with him outside and he learned how to fly! He would return right back to be. He was soo happy.. he was chirping & fluttering his little wings. My mom was going to take a picture of him, but she was like, "Maybe tomorrow!" ..... right when we were about to release him back into the wild, we found him, dead. ;-;

Kyl3
25th April 2004, 03:33 PM
1. No
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A