PDA

View Full Version : Help writing a Fic

Perfect Chaos
25th April 2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah..hi guys, this is my first post in the Fanfic section and the first time I've ever wrote a fic. Well, the main details of my fic are, it's going to be a Yu-Gi-Oh fic and I'm still not sure on how many characters there are going to be except with mine and the villain. So, here's the basic plot of it.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

Several years have passed since the end of Battle City. Yugi Mutou has been bestowed the title of Battle City Champion and has also defeated the evilness of Marik Ishtar. Everyone has gone back to Domino City and peace seems to have settled in...

Or has it?...

It has been many decades since the end of Battle City. All the original cast have grown up and started up their own families and such. Also, there have been news reports of the mysterious death of the original creator of Duel Monsters, Maximillian Pegasus. Due the passing of the creator, his company, Industrial Illusions, falls to unstability in administration and the company was forced to closed down, seemingly bringing about the end of production of Duel Monsters...

Soon after, a new company was found by nephew of Marik Ishtar, Ramik Ishtar, called Mechanized Mirages. They decided to continue the works of Maximillian Pegasus and started up the production of Duel Monsters again, making it as popular as it was from before. As a "Grand Opening" for Mechanized Mirages, Ramik Ishtar has decided to hold a worldwide tournament in which he invites all Duelists around the world to try and their luck and be known as the #1 Duelist in the World.

However, unknown to duelists, Ramik Ishtar is really the heir of Millenium Rod, which has again taken control of it's possessor, looking to restart his plans for his ultimate goal: world domination. Now it is up to a new age of duelists to stop the evil plans of the heir of the Millenium Rod and the dark legacy of the Ishtars...

Or risk failure...

Well, the problem I have is what to write in between the duels that take place in the story. I really have no clue on how to lay out the whole thing. Story ideas and ratings and changes to the plot are welcomed and appreciated

Thanks

-$∑@π

Oakbark
26th April 2004, 03:51 PM
Hmm..interesting.

Well, here's a couple of things from my personal view;

*Have new people (i.e no Yugi the 3rd/4th, Joey junior, tea junior etc.)

*Don't have a giant fan club cheering on the good guys, and if you do make sure they duel and get a piece of the action, like sub-plots for them.

*Bring in real-life issues and themes (love, revenge, greed, death, envy, falling outs, etc.)

*Have original plot ideas (i.e: travelling to egypt to fin new cards, time warp back to ancient egypt etc.)

Gotta go, have fun writing!

Perfect Chaos
1st May 2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tips Oakbark. Can anyone else give me some more tips on writing a YGO fic?

-$∑@π

FusionSonicX
1st May 2004, 06:14 PM
I do respect people who use real life issue in fanfics. Like Oakbark said, let them have some action. Maybe be like Tea in the anime, she is not an offical duelis but she does duel in the Duelist Kingdom and Virtual World saga. Take my fanfic for instants. Gwen is a good duelist but doesn't really like it. Kenny is a master at Dungeon and Dice Monster vut has to duel with Gwen in an episode. They tag team, and even thought Kenny doesn't know how to duel, he trys his best to beat the other two duelist.

Speaking of that, it is good to tag team alot. Maybe about 2 or 3 times in a yugioh fanfic. But thats enough about that stuff.

Another thing is names. Try to match the names with the characters personality. In my fanfic again, Seto Kaiba's son is Vladimir, or Vlad. Vlad is german for dragon-slayer. He has dragon monsters, so, why float the boat?

Also, Venasuar here helped me with my fic, so I would suggest you PM him for help. Read his fic too, it helped me alot on some stuff.

mistysakura
2nd May 2004, 12:03 AM
What to put between duels? Yeh, if there's just a whole lot of duels, the story does get pretty boring. I think that characters are really important to a fic; working on their relationships (no, I'm not implying romantic) could be good. For instance, some of the stuff like Oakbark said, envy, grief, betrayal, that stuff helps the fic move along, and it also stops the story from becoming a mass of duels.

hope that helped.

mr_pikachu
2nd May 2004, 12:25 AM
I know I've said this before, but an excellent example of a Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfic (and the very best I've seen) is in any of Venusaur's Yu-Gi-Oh works. Currently, that includes "Yu-Gi-Oh! Junior: Legacy of the Duelist" and "Yu-Gi-Oh! Junior: City of Souls" on TPM. While both of those fics have a duel in almost every chapter, the plot and the characters are what really drive the fic, rather than the pure action of dueling. There are lots of interesting bits added in between the duels to make things, well, interesting. This helps keep the story fresh, and the reader's mind open.

Ironically, of course, Venusaur's dueling "down time" includes just about all of the aforementioned qualities (grief, greed, hints of romance, etc.) are included. It just serves as a way to show one possibility for implementing these tactics. :yes:

Darien Shields
2nd May 2004, 11:06 AM
Uuurghh... Don't tell me anyone would swallow that, at least, not if the original characters were around. They'd say "Hey son, did I ever tell you about that tournament that was actually a plot to take over the world? Which tournament you say? Every one I ever participated in." At least load it with some plot twists, like, Pegasus is actually alive, or something.

Character-wise, I think they're right, avoid the children of the originals. Maybe have someone else with the Millenium Puzzle (or perhaps another item. Personally I like the Puzzle. You could even throw in Yugi's soul to that thing.

Well, anyway, between duels, you might want to load in character developement, or the politics of the card company, or something. I really don't watch much Yu Gi Oh after the first series...

Mew Master
3rd May 2004, 11:00 AM
Or you could stray away from the past characters all together, and come up with a new concept. Like I did for Legions of Chaos

(btw.. sorry it took me so long to post, I keep hitting a Runtime error when I get to this page so I'm using another computer.)

Later.

Darien Shields
3rd May 2004, 11:11 AM
On review of Yu Gi Oh, I noted something you probably want to avoid. Every game seemed to come down to this sort of situation...

Yugi: Oh no! There's no way I can beat that combo... unless!
*crosses his fingers and chants: Heart of the Cards, Heart of the Cards"
Yugi: Ah ha! I drew the "win the game in one move no matter what the opponent does" card!

So yeah, he basicly always cheats with Heart of the Cards, to draw whatever he wants. He could just do it at the beginning of the damn game and put us all out of our misery. Is it just me, or did that "Multiply Coribu" thing he did to beat Kaiba seem like total cra- total not working ness. If he attacked one of the things, and killed it, the others don't pick up the slack... Yugi woulda got hit.

But I digress. The main character should win by tactics, or indeed, loose by tactics. Or maybe have Heart of the Cards used against him. That'd help illustrate how annoying it must be for Yugi to draw one of those "win any situation" cards...