PDA

View Full Version : ^The Unicorn Games^ ~ Registration topic {Game approved by Amy}

Lady Vulpix
6th May 2004, 12:06 PM
Welcome! To those who have been in tournament like this in the past, and to all the new faces around. :wave:

This is a writing tournament based on The Dragon Tamers Battle Range storyline. Other past tournaments of this sort were: the Eagle Games, the Griphon Games, the Dragon Games, the Pegasus Games, the Oracle Games, the Sphynx Games, the Eagle Games II, the Griphon Games II and the Dragon Games II. According to the creator and judge of the first 3 tournaments, the first Unicorn Games were supposed to take place between the Griphon and Dragon Games, but have been skipped until now. So now you all have the chance to take part in them.

Here's how it works: all participants must sign up stating the name, gender and species of the pokemon they want to enter the tournament with. Each trainer can use only one pokemon, who must be adopted. Pokemon of all levels are allowed, you won't have to battle each other, so levels shouldn't be an issue.

The games will begin when at least 12 people have registered (and no more than 16). Then I will post the first round, in which each participant will have to battle a given pokemon (the battle should be written like the ones at the Battle Range, and you will have 3 weeks to write each). At the end of each round, all participating pokemon will gain 2 levels, and battles will be rated for stamps just like they are at the Battle Range. Half of the participants will be chosen to move on to the next round each time. Before the finals, a consolation round will be held among those who didn't make it to the end, and the winner of that round will get a prize. The 3 finalists will all get a prize as long as they post their final battles in time. Prizes will be posted at the beginning of the tournament, and they will consist of stamps, items and special adopted pokemon (which the winners may or may not decide to take with them).

Well, I think this post is long enough already, so if you have any questions, just ask. You may start posting your registrations now. :)

Oh, and if someone doesn't want to write battles but would like to help me out with the tournament, please say so. Any help will be welcome. http://www.geocities.com/gsteren/Faces/puppysmile.txt

Wolfsong
6th May 2004, 12:09 PM
I'm entering my male arcanine Blazer

Edit: and the first to sign up ^^;

andyizcool
6th May 2004, 12:46 PM
I guess I'll give these Unicorn Games a go. This will be my first Writing Competition here so I'll try my best. My writing skills should improve even more hopefully writing here. I'll be entering my Male Squirtle that doesn't have a Nickname.

*Murkrow
6th May 2004, 01:06 PM
This looks like it'll be fun^_^
I'd like to register Xolotle, my female Sneasel please.

classy_cat18
6th May 2004, 01:18 PM
Oh my! I haven't entered something like this in quite a while. Let's see...I guess my Oddish Lily. I know I can only enter one Pokemon to battle, but can I mention my other adoptees in my posts?

Lady Vulpix
6th May 2004, 01:33 PM
Oh my! I haven't entered something like this in quite a while. Let's see...I guess my Oddish Lily. I know I can only enter one Pokemon to battle, but can I mention my other adoptees in my posts?Of course you can. :)

Aipom Of Doom
6th May 2004, 01:59 PM
yay, Unicorn Games :D.

I'll enter with my (elemental) female Eevee May.

And btw, Gabi, how long are you planning to wait before starting the games? It would be nice to have time to finish all the training grounds scenerio (and in my case the previous Team Rocket one) :x.

Linc
6th May 2004, 02:50 PM
I guess I'll give this a try.
I'll enter Lightning my male Raichu.

Matt
6th May 2004, 02:51 PM
I'll register too, please :) I'll use my male Natu, Valefor.

The_Missing_Link
6th May 2004, 04:37 PM
I never entered one before but I'll bite and join in with Nightshade, my male Kadabra

AntiAsh Superstar
6th May 2004, 05:54 PM
Hehe, last time I got a near miss by going with technical expertise, so this time I'll go with the opposite end of the battling spectrum and pin my hopes on sheer showmanship...

I'll enter Milliardo, my male Umbreon. >=)

EngiMatikul
6th May 2004, 06:21 PM
Hmm...

I won't enter the tournament, partly because I dont' have time and partly because I have no idea how I can make my character suddenly decide to enter a tournament, but I wouldn't mind helping. However, what kind of help do you ask of? Just curious.

Syberia
6th May 2004, 06:30 PM
I'd like to enter Glamdring, my male Aracnine. One question though... do the stamps earned here count as Battle Range stamps towards a Dratini? I'll be entering either way, though.

Pyrusette
6th May 2004, 06:34 PM
I'll give this a go. I'll register my female Kecleon, Ziazan.

AntiAsh Superstar
6th May 2004, 07:47 PM
I'd like to enter Glamdring, my male Aracnine. One question though... do the stamps earned here count as Battle Range stamps towards a Dratini? I'll be entering either way, though.

Yeah, this is a side-project of the Battle Range, after all, seeing as you put the same effort into earning the stamps as you would in a regular scenario they'd be equally valid. ^_^ Otherwise I might as well hand back Marius. :oh:

MarshmallowEgg
6th May 2004, 08:49 PM
I'd like to enter Akia, my female Meowth. ^_^

Angel Blossom
6th May 2004, 09:51 PM
I hope I'm not too late! I'd love to enter Bronx, my male Aerodactyl. ^^;

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 09:00 AM
You're still in time.
Don't worry, Danny. I'll wait until you've posted at least your battle for the TR scenario. I don't want to put too much pressure on any of the participants, this is supposed to be fun.
Ade, you can have a stamp for helping out. ยข I see Milly took over your avatar as well as your custom rank. How does Tsuyoi feel about it? http://www.geocities.com/gsteren/Faces/wink.txt As for your statement... before making any drastic changes to what was already working quite well, remember the last judge had a tendency to blame the writers for his own lack of vocabulary (I speak English as a second language and had no problems reading your stories). Anyway, I'll post a few tips for the participants before they start writing their battles.

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 09:11 AM
Current entrants:

1.- Blazer - Male Arcanine (Wolfsong)
2.- Unnamed Male Squirtle (andyizcool)
3.- Xolotle - Female Sneasel (Sneasel(h)Obsessive)
4.- Lily - Female Oddish (classy_cat18)
5.- May - Female Eevee (Aipom of Doom)
6.- Lightning - Male Raichu (Dragon Rider)
7.- Valefor - Male Natu (Link 10)
8.- Nightshade - Male Kadabra (The_Missing_Link)
9.- Milliardo - Male Umbreon (AntiAsh Superstar)
10.- Glamdring - Male Arcanine (Syberia)
11.- Ziazan - Female Kecleon (Pyrusette)
12.- Akia - Female Meowth (MarshmallowEgg)
13.- Bronx - Male Aerodactyl (Angel Blossom)

There's room for at most 3 more. We'll wait some time before the games begin.

Jay
7th May 2004, 10:14 AM
Edit: Edited out.

Edit #2: Edited out to edit in #3.

Edit #3: Well I got a pokemon that copies nevertheless. :/ Entering Ditto the Ditto, whom is at Level 7.

Still think that you should use variety with the tournaments. You know, something other than writing. /:| Since obviously I sux at that.

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 10:43 AM
Well, there are some BT tournaments too. One is in the making, though I'm not sure when it will be ready to begin.

And I remember you used to write good updates at Expedia.

Ok, your Ditto's in. It will be nice to see a Ditto compete in a tournament. :D

Jay
7th May 2004, 10:51 AM
And would there be some special format you might use to pair these people?

If you did it with the dice and allowed people to watch, then that might be a way. Or use what I call the all-star system, and pair entry #1 with entry #16, 2 with 15, 3 with 14, etc. like I did with the Melee Games, or something else. :/ It'd be interesting to know since I don't want to be forcefully paired with someone who is going to own me, and you and Amy know it.

I know you're not like that but I have a bit of paranoia. =P

Charizard04621
7th May 2004, 12:54 PM
>_<; Just in time. I'm entering "Ryu", my male Trapinch.

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 01:13 PM
Nice to see you made it, Karin!
Jay, that tournament hasn't even been posted yet and you're already questioning the possible pairings? I'm not even sure about who's carrying it out, but we'll all make sure the pairings are as fair as possible. Now let's get back to this tournament.

Current entrants:

13.- Bronx - Male Aerodactyl (Angel Blossom)
14.- Unnamed Ditto (Jay)
15.- 'Ryu' - Male Trapinch (Charizard04621)

Aipom Of Doom
7th May 2004, 01:53 PM
You're still in time.
Don't worry, Danny. I'll wait until you've posted at least your battle for the TR scenario. I don't want to put too much pressure on any of the participants, this is supposed to be fun.

ok... hopefully I'll have that done during next week, I want to do as much of the training grounds as possible too :d.

oh and are there even going to be pairings for this tournament? Or is it just going to be the best half of the stories each time, sort of like all tournaments going back to the Eagle Games a few years ago? :o.

Charizard04621
7th May 2004, 02:06 PM
Hmm, er, one question. *If* I make it further in this tournament, I'm going to be in summer camp for part of the time. A few weeks, really, because after my writing course at Rhodes, my family's going to visit the Smoky Mountains and stuff for the summer. We might also make some college visits. Would I be DQed or would there be a larger extended time period during which to write? Because if there won't be, I might as well back out now. The majority of my summer is going to be spent outside my home and without access to a computer. >_<

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 02:20 PM
Have you read the first post, Danny? This tournament is like the previous ones, you're not battling each other.

Oh, sorry, Karin, I didn't know you were going away. I guess we'll see what we can do when the time comes. But even in the worst case, if your trip prevents you from posting at all, you can still compete in the consolation rounds.

Aipom Of Doom
7th May 2004, 02:49 PM
Have you read the first post, Danny? This tournament is like the previous ones, you're not battling each other

Okay... Jay was talking about pairing people against each other to see who wrote the best story, and your response wasn't clear on that, and I was wondering what that meant :o.

Charizard04621
7th May 2004, 02:53 PM
Okay... Jay was talking about pairing people against each other to see who wrote the best story, and your response wasn't clear on that, and I was wondering what that meant :o.

No, I think he was talking about pairing people in a different tournament, a Battle Tower style one.

Kirei
7th May 2004, 02:59 PM
Gabi, please can I enter too? I hope I'm not too late. I'm still working on the last scenario but I will get it done soon, promise! I'd like to enter Kassandra, the female Charmander. :196:

Lady Vulpix
7th May 2004, 03:10 PM
Ok, yours is the last entry, doubling the chances of you and Ade taking a prize home. Though I have yet to see a battle written by you. Will you use the Training Grounds or leave us in suspense until the Unicorn Games begin?

Either way, registrations are now closed. I'll leave this thread open for a while for questions and comments.

Contestants for the Unicorn Games:

13.- Petals - Female Oddish (Angel Blossom)
14.- Unnamed Ditto (Jay)
15.- 'Ryu' - Male Trapinch (Charizard04621)
16.- Kassandra - Female Charmander (Kirei)

aragornbird
7th May 2004, 05:49 PM
Aw, man! I missed it! Studying all day and I missed it! :( :cry:

And it sounded really fun as well...

EngiMatikul
7th May 2004, 07:54 PM
I asked Charizard Lady on what kind of help you needed and apparently Charizard Lady told me it was all on rating stories. I'm probably not skilled enough to help out in rating stories yet, so I guess I can't really help, unless there's something else I can do. >.> Eer... IS there something else I can do? :P

Kirei
8th May 2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Gabi. I am going to try to post in the Team Rocket scenario, I have started, but I've had a lot of work (just handed in my 20,000 word dissertation) and now revising for final exams - scary. Anyway, I will be posting soon so you can have a preview of Kassandra's fighting skills! :196:

andyizcool
8th May 2004, 01:14 PM
Just a question about the Pokemon we entered into the Unicorn Games. Can we level it up in the Pokezoo Battle Tower or Dragon Tamers Battle Range before the writing competition starts?

Lady Vulpix
8th May 2004, 03:41 PM
You can level them up outside the tournament before the competition starts, but not while it lasts, since their levels could affect the opponents they get.

EnigmatiKul, if you have AIM, maybe we can talk and find a way you can help around. Thanks.

AB, I'm really sorry. I've been through that before, on the 1st Dragon Games. I'm sure you'll get other chances in the future, and you can still help out, as I told you on my PM.

Angel Blossom
8th May 2004, 10:45 PM
I have a question - do you think I could switch my entrant? I think that my Oddish needs more training that my Aerodactyl does, so I was just wondering if that could be possible. ^^;; Anyway, thanks for your time. It's okay with me if I can't switch, anyway. =)

Charizard04621
8th May 2004, 11:46 PM
Maybe I can help, too, if I'm disqualified for going to college for a course this summer.

AntiAsh Superstar
9th May 2004, 03:08 AM
You can level them up outside the tournament before the competition starts, but not while it lasts, since their levels could affect the opponents they get.

Question: does that mean you can't even train them up a bit in between rounds? For example, suppose I finish my Unicorn Games battle with a few days to spare, could I not use the extra time to train in preparation for the next round?

I do hope we get a decent amount of time before it starts tho, it'd be nice to have the chance to train Milly up in the training grounds before he has to go into battle. Methinks I may need to put the side-fics on hold for a while...@_@;;;

Aipom Of Doom
9th May 2004, 07:28 AM

yeah, I don't really see any point to that... the opponent should just be the same level that your pokemon is when you submit your battle. I know it's been that way in the past that you could level up your Pokemon after or even before you post your battle for that round :o.

Lady Vulpix
9th May 2004, 07:36 AM
They are, but that could cause problems with pokemon that evolve by level. I remember someone battling a Mareep that should have already evolved. And a Pidgey too. Ok, we can do this: you can train your pokemon after you post your battle for the current round, but you must inform me of any level changes before the following round starts. Is that ok?

Ok, Kris, I'll change your entry. Does your Oddish have a name?

Karin, thanks. It would be great to have your help, but it will be even better if you can participate.

Charizard04621
9th May 2004, 08:24 AM
They are, but that could cause problems with pokemon that evolve by level. I remember someone battling a Mareep that should have already evolved. And a Pidgey too. Ok, we can do this: you can train your pokemon after you post your battle for the current round, but you must inform me of any level changes before the following round starts. Is that ok?

Ok, Kris, I'll change your entry. Does your Oddish have a name?

Karin, thanks. It would be great to have your help, but it will be even better if you can participate.

Yes, that levelling rule sounds much better. Also, I'll see what I can do to participate while I'm at the college, but it won't be easy at all. All my time spent will be spent on our writing assignments (I have to pass the class if I want to get any kind of credit), and we have limited time on the computers (like two hours each day), about all of which will probably be used on typing up my homework. >_<

Angel Blossom
9th May 2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks, Gabi! ^^ I'm glad I can switch. It's Petals, my Oddish (F).

mr_pikachu
13th May 2004, 09:26 PM
I know I'm too late to compete, but I have a question on how a writing contest/tournament works. Do we just write our own battles, with comments, feelings, emotions, etc., and the trainers who write the best ones move on to the next round? Or do we just type in the moves, like "Kadabra used Psychic!" and "Critical Hit! Machop took 107 damage"? I'd like to enter when the next one comes up, so I thought some background might be nice. =^_^=

classy_cat18
13th May 2004, 09:34 PM
What happens is that you get matched up with another entry. Your Pokemon don't battle each other, but what happens is that someone gives you your own opponent and you write out your battle. It gets rated on the grammar and description and such. Whoever has the better battle gets moved up to the next round. To get a feel of it you could read battles from the Dragon Tamers Battle Range.

Jay
14th May 2004, 05:19 AM
mr_pikachu: Read the battles here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28385). That'll give you a fairly decent idea on how this tournament will be run, and what it's based on, seeing as you don't know anything about it. :)

Lady Vulpix
14th May 2004, 12:25 PM
What she said, except that you're not matched up with another entry. Actually, it's the first of the 2 options Mr. Pikachu mentioned.

Charizard04621
22nd May 2004, 08:14 AM
Not to be pushy, but Gabi, will the scenario be posted before June the 13th? Because that's when I'm leaving for the college, and I won't be back till sometime in June. If you're too busy, that's all right. I'll just stick to the consolation rounds... Although I'd really like an accurate gauge of my talent, my stories will probably end up too rushed anyway because of my packed summer (after I get back, I'll be working several hours a day somewhere, and I'll still have cello and painting and probably tennis lessons).

Lady Vulpix
22nd May 2004, 07:35 PM
I was waiting for Danny to post at the Battle Range. Since he's already done it, I'll post the opening for the tournament tomorrow, making June 13th the deadline for the first round.

I may take some time to rate all the battles, since I'm very busy and my Windows isn't working well, but if you manage to log in around June 20th, you'll find out if you made it to the 2nd round, and who your opponent is in that case. Provided that the 2nd round starts on June 20th, the deadline for it would be July 11th. How does that work for you?

Aipom Of Doom
22nd May 2004, 07:39 PM
I was waiting for Danny to post at the Battle Range. Since he's already done it, I'll post the opening for the tournament tomorrow, making June 13th the deadline for the first round.

I may take some time to rate all the battles, since I'm very busy and my Windows isn't working well, but if you manage to log in around June 20th, you'll find out if you made it to the 2nd round, and who your opponent is in that case. Provided that the 2nd round starts on June 20th, the deadline for it would be July 11th. How does that work for you?

o_o tomorrow? isn't that a bit soon... it would defeat the purpose of having training grounds I think <_<.

Lady Vulpix
22nd May 2004, 07:42 PM
You've been in situations like this one before, you should know how it works.
You can keep posting at the Training Grounds during the tournament. Moreover, it is generally a good idea to write your tournament battle first and then continue writing for the Battle Range until the next round starts. You can use the Training Grounds to train between rounds. Besides, it's the best thing I can do to give everyone who has registered a chance to participate.

Aipom Of Doom
22nd May 2004, 07:58 PM
You've been in situations like this one before, you should know how it works.
You can keep posting at the Training Grounds during the tournament. Moreover, it is generally a good idea to write your tournament battle first and then continue writing for the Battle Range until the next round starts. You can use the Training Grounds to train between rounds. Besides, it's the best thing I can do to give everyone who has registered a chance to participate.

oh, you're going keep the training grounds as the active scenario throughout the entire tournament? I was thinking that you were planning to change the scenerio right away. Well, in that case it should be fine ^_^.

AntiAsh Superstar
23rd May 2004, 04:01 AM
This is Soo I am too lazy to log in Gabi can you let me post my scenario first please? I'm finishing Kassandra's battle for the Rockets scenario and I want to be able to post it today, can you wait for that please? You waited for Danny so can you please wait for me? :196: