PDA

View Full Version : Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me...

mr_pikachu
7th May 2004, 12:47 AM
I was just visiting the Fanfiction Archives, checking to see if Mist/PancaKe had put any more updates on the old LVH (which, btw, she hasn't), when I noticed something rather irritating. You all probably remember the mess we had when the forum style was first changed and the punctuation went crazy, right? Well... let's just say my first fic has been absolutely MANGLED. I'm not joking; you can see for yourself. Check your old fanfics in the Archives, everyone, if you want people to read them at any point in the future!

Dark Sage
7th May 2004, 12:51 AM
Pik -

I know a way to fix that, assuming you're willing to do some work and you have the original files on hard drive.

You have to edit the chapters and change the font to Times News Roman. That font they can't screw up.

When it happened to my two current fanfics, it took me a few hours to do it, but I fixed them. I'll be fixing my own archived fanfic soon. I do not believe the damage done to existing stuff can be repaired by the staff here.

- Venusaur

mr_pikachu
7th May 2004, 01:23 AM
I appreciate the time that must've gone into finding a solution for this, Venusaur. However, there's one slight problem in this case. You see, most of the threads in the Fiction Archive have been locked by the mods, so that no one can mess with the fic in any way in the future. The thing is, locked threads cannot be added to, or even edited. And only members of moderator status and above can unlock a thread. So, unfortunately, there's no way for your solution to work, without help from the mods. *sighs* And we were so close, too...

Anyway, again, I appreciate the attempt. Unfortunately, the problem still stands. :(

Andrew
7th May 2004, 02:06 AM
Its a worry, isn't it? I reccomend reposting it, and I'll delete the crap copies, K :) Its a lot easier than synchronising my time with yours and opening the thread long enough for you to edit and such. ;x

So go ahead and post away kiddos.

Darien Shields
8th May 2004, 06:20 PM
Not to suggest work for Oz but (^_~) ...

If you don't have copies on your own machine, you could get a mod to PM them to you, or go to edit the posts, copy and paste the stuff into a word file and send it to you.

But where would you find the money to bribe a mod to do that? j/k

P.S. What was the deal with the fonts? I noticed the other day that sometimes my "" had been turned into diamonds, same with รจ (accented e if it happens again.)

The Decapitated Mole
8th May 2004, 07:59 PM
It happened when all the l33t old school stuff was put back, I think. There was a topic about it in VB help, and I think that was the reason. It's fixed now, but all the old posts are still ****ed up. Which reminds me... *goes to fix up Hiro*

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
10th May 2004, 11:43 PM
46 chapters of LTL are screwed up too. All I can think of is to sit down one day when I get the patience and repost each chapter properly.

Which sucks, but oh well.

Cheers!

Dragonfree
11th May 2004, 03:52 PM
No, you just need to change the character setting on your browser to Unicode while reading, and then change it back for newer posts.

The Decapitated Mole
11th May 2004, 07:41 PM
No, you just need to change the character setting on your browser to Unicode while reading, and then change it back for newer posts.
Actually, unicode doesn't work for the messed up posts [if that's what you were saying, but I'm not entirely sure]. I had mine set to unicode, but I switched it to Westers European [windows] and now everything looks as good as ever. Meh.

o_0
jimm

PancaKe
13th May 2004, 12:24 AM
I was just visiting the Fanfiction Archives, checking to see if Mist/PancaKe had put any more updates on the old LVH (which, btw, she hasn't),

I didnt even realise that had readers.

Reasons for not updating

1 - my internet on my computer is stuffed and im on mums and my computers floppy drive is stuffed so I cant transfer it online

2 - I also forget to.

but when I get it fixed on my pc I'll update it for you!

**PancaKe||

Dragonfree
13th May 2004, 10:00 AM
Bleargh... I meant the other way around... Unicode for the newer posts, Western European for the old ones.