PDA

View Full Version : Some questions that've been annoying me...

Phoenixsong
7th May 2004, 04:24 PM
Hmmm... 1, 2, 3... yeah, I've got 3 questions. First of all, I was wondering if someone could confirm FR/LG appearances of certain Pokemon, namely, the ones that were Red-specific or Blue-specific. In other words, are Scyther, Growlithe, Electabuzz, Ekans, etc. only in FR and Pinsir, Vulpix, Magmar, Sandshrew, etc. only in LG? If not, could you tell me how the appearances have changed? I was thinking of importing one of the games, and I want whichever one has more of the Red-specific Pokemon (more Red-specific Pokemon were cut from Ru/Sa than Blue-specific ones). Second, do any of you know a good place to buy the Japanese games at a relatively low price... ie, something less than 65 bucks, which is the only price I could find it at. And third, does anyone know at least some of the Pokemon abilities in FR/LG? I don't mean if Charizard knows Blaze or something like that, but, for example, if Articuno has some ability that causes hail (similar to Drought, Drizzle and Sand Stream), or something like that. I don't care about the names, just the effects that the abilities have. If anyone can give me me any of this information, I'd really appreciate it.

Poryhedron
7th May 2004, 04:37 PM
Hmmm... 1, 2, 3... yeah, I've got 3 questions. First of all, I was wondering if someone could confirm FR/LG appearances of certain Pokemon, namely, the ones that were Red-specific or Blue-specific. In other words, are Scyther, Growlithe, Electabuzz, Ekans, etc. only in FR and Pinsir, Vulpix, Magmar, Sandshrew, etc. only in LG? If not, could you tell me how the appearances have changed? I was thinking of importing one of the games, and I want whichever one has more of the Red-specific Pokemon (more Red-specific Pokemon were cut from Ru/Sa than Blue-specific ones).

I got this info from a link someone posted to a page on Serebii...since that was actually technically illegal, I'll just post it here in this post so I'm not breaking a rule myself.

FOUND IN FIRE RED---FOUND IN LEAF GREEN
Ekans---Sandshrew
Oddish---Bellsprout
Growlithe---Vulpix
Scyther---Pinsir
Electabuzz---Magmar
Psyduck---Slowpoke
Shellder---Staryu
Wooper---Marill
Qwilfish---Remoraid
Delibird---Sneasel
Skarmory---Mantine
Murkrow---Misdreavus

...and, of course, all of their relatives. I'm guessing the Johto species are found on the Islands.

Second, do any of you know a good place to buy the Japanese games at a relatively low price... ie, something less than 65 bucks, which is the only price I could find it at.

Got me.

And third, does anyone know at least some of the Pokemon abilities in FR/LG? I don't mean if Charizard knows Blaze or something like that, but, for example, if Articuno has some ability that causes hail (similar to Drought, Drizzle and Sand Stream), or something like that. I don't care about the names, just the effects that the abilities have. If anyone can give me me any of this information, I'd really appreciate it.

GameFAQs has all of them. All nine of the starters and their entire families have Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent as appropriate, and all three of the Legendary Birds have Pressure, as do the three Legendary Beasts, Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Phoenixsong
8th May 2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Poryhedron. Actually, what I meant was if any of the Pokemon have abilities that were not in Ru/Sa, but I'll go check GameFAQs as you suggested. Anyone else have a suggestion for where to get the game (FR, specificly, as that's what I've decided on)

Number1ChanseyFan
8th May 2004, 09:44 AM
Well, the only new abilities that weren't originally in Ruby/Sapphire are Limber, Serene Grace, and Water Absorb. Serene Grace and Water Absorb became available when Colosseum was released. (Actually, Serene Grace was available before Colosseum was released, because that is Jirachi's ability, and Jirachi could be obtained from the Colosseum preorder bonus disc.) Pokemon with Limber are only found in Fire Red/Leaf Green. Limber prevents the Pokémon from becoming paralyzed. If a Pokémon has Water Absorb, then it will recover HP (up to 1/4 of its maximum HP) when it is hit with a damaging Water type attack. When a Pokémon has the Serene Grace ability, then whenever it uses a move that has a chance of causing an added effect, such as Water Pulse, which has a 20% chance of causing Confusion, the chance of the added effect happening is doubled. So if a Pokémon with Serene Grace uses Water Pulse, there will be a 40% chance of Confusion!!

Here is a list of Pokémon that have the three abilities that I mentioned.

Limber: Persian, Hitmonlee, Ditto.

Serene Grace: Chansey, Blissey, Togepi, Togetic, Dunsparce, Jirachi.

Water Absorb: Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Politoed, Lapras, Vaporeon, Wooper, Quagsire, Mantine.

Sand Stream: Tyranitar

EDIT: Ok, I added Sand Stream!!

andyizcool
8th May 2004, 12:02 PM
Serene Grace: Chansey, Blissey, Togepi, Togetic, Dunsparce, Jirachi.
You said the Pokemon with Serence Grace weren't originally in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. However I have a Jirachi and I don't own a Cheat Device, or Bonus Disc. I got it off Pokemon Channel in the UK. This shows Jirachi is easily available to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire making it the only Pokemon you can get without Pokemon Colosseum/Fire Red/Leaf Green that has Serene Grace.

RattataGuy
8th May 2004, 01:12 PM
Well, the only new abilities that weren't originally in Ruby/Sapphire are Limber, Serene Grace, and Water Absorb.

You forgot Sandstream (an auto-Sandstorm effect, like Drought and Drizzle). But only T-tar gets that, and you can get him in Colosseum.

Phoenixsong
11th May 2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for answering those questions... that's two out of three. Now, I don't mean to sound rude, but obviously if someone can post topics about things that would require them to have the game to experience, that must mean that they have the game, right? And if someone has the game, that must mean they got it from somewhere. I would really appreciate it, therefore, if someone could tell me where they got FR or LG and at what price. Please?

Number1ChanseyFan
11th May 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for answering those questions... that's two out of three. Now, I don't mean to sound rude, but obviously if someone can post topics about things that would require them to have the game to experience, that must mean that they have the game, right? And if someone has the game, that must mean they got it from somewhere. I would really appreciate it, therefore, if someone could tell me where they got FR or LG and at what price. Please?

Well, I don't have Fire Red/Leaf Green, I am going to wait for the English versions. Fire Red/Leaf Green hasn't been released in English yet, so everybody is either playing the Japanese versions of FR/LG, or versions that have been downloaded off of the internet. It is against the rules to be advertising other sites on TPM, so nobody can really post links of where to buy stuff at. If you buy an import version, you are probably going to end up paying a little more than retail for it, plus shipping. You could check eBay, but if you do, make sure that you buy from somebody that has an excellent feedback rating, and somebody that has a return policy. You could also try running a search on Google. But no matter where you buy the games from, try to buy from somebody that is reputable.

Gagome
12th May 2004, 01:17 PM
I have bought my copies of FR/LG from a Hong Kong company called Lik-Sang. Search the internet for their site and see for yourself.

I hope this is not against some rules?