PDA

View Full Version : WTF is this error message?????

Loupeitak
8th May 2004, 01:02 AM
Everytime i go to the internet (yes even here) i receive an error message about abnormal program termination then i can't see anything except my toolbar. Not even the start button. HELP ME!!!

Chris
8th May 2004, 04:35 AM
Sorry, but you're being way too vague for us to help you. Next time the error appears, please write it down/take a screenshot and give us the full error message here. What do you mean by you "can't see anything except your toolbar"? Which version of Windows are you using? Which version of IE (I'm speculating you're using IE, but I'm probably right)?

Initial thought leads me to think that this is IE's fault, but I can't be sure until I get some more information.

Detail is important... :)

Loupeitak
8th May 2004, 07:58 AM
it is quite IE coz im using Netscape now and it works perfectly. Though Netscape sucks so i want to get the problem fixed

*goes get his camera*

ChobiChibi
8th May 2004, 08:39 AM
I think what Chris means by a screen shot it by pressing the PrtScn button on your keyboard. Cameras don't work well with screens ^^

Loupeitak
8th May 2004, 08:41 AM
Ah! Now i see

EDIT: Here is what it says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library

Runtime error!

Program C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

abnormal prgram termination

Couldnt take the pic, dunno why. Well anywayz i use Windows ME so it kinda sucks :(

Yoh Asakura
8th May 2004, 08:54 AM
Upgrade to XP or Downgrade to 98 because ME does suck. And I'll save Raz the trouble:

Download Firefox! Click Me (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

I'll let Chris word it right as to what the problem is, since my wording sucks and you'd only get confused.

kainashi
8th May 2004, 11:40 AM
Upgrade to XP or Downgrade to 98 because ME does suck. And I'll save Raz the trouble:

Download Firefox! Click Me (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

I'll let Chris word it right as to what the problem is, since my wording sucks and you'd only get confused.it's not a browser problem, idiot.

looks like you might need to reinstall some runtimes or something. chris should know more about this.

Chris
8th May 2004, 12:21 PM
Abnormal program terminations can be for a number of reasons, but the most likely reason is the one kainashi gave - you're missing some runtimes. I'm also guessing the shell is corrupted too, since, quite often, errors in IE can cause errors in the shell.

I suggest reinstalling ME (or if you can afford the upgrade, make the jump to XP) to replace them; there's no need for a clean install, just install over your current Windows installation and everything should be fine.

shazza
8th May 2004, 10:52 PM
I used to have that problem a couple of years ago. Then one day it just...... stopped. :eek:

Water Pokemon Master
9th May 2004, 10:10 PM
Why not try to restore your hard drive to an earlier time or to reinstall Internet Explorer? That might work.

RedStarWarrior
9th May 2004, 10:45 PM
WPM, please don't post here. It is much better to just upgrade to XP and use Firefox. Besides, :P.

Water Pokemon Master
9th May 2004, 10:50 PM
First off, maybe he doesn't want to go out and buy $200 XP to get rid of an error message. I think that is a little extreme. Secondly, it is much easier to restore your hard drive back to an earlier time because it can fix almost any problem.

Chris
10th May 2004, 01:58 AM
First off, maybe he doesn't want to go out and buy $200 XP to get rid of an error message. I think that is a little extreme.

Considering he's using ME, I would insist that he upgrades right now. And if you're paying $200 for an XP upgrade (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Product_Code=MSI+WINXPHEU-C&JRSource=google.datafeed.MSI+WINXPHEU-C), you're getting mightily ripped off, or you haven't researched what you posted.

Water Pokemon Master
10th May 2004, 02:14 AM
Actually, I forgot that you could buy the upgrades at cheaper prices than buying the entire OS. :D

Jay
10th May 2004, 08:37 AM
WPM, please don't post here.
I concur. 8)