PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is colluseum?

ace
8th May 2004, 10:56 AM
Pokemon colluseum is out in 6 days in the uk, but what is colluseum, what do you do, what is there to do and how???

Number1ChanseyFan
8th May 2004, 11:32 AM
Pokémon Colosseum takes place in the distant desert region of Orre. There are two different modes, story mode and battle mode. In story mode, you play a character who is actually a former villian that had a change of heart and decided to become a good guy. All of the battles in story mode are two vs. two. Throughout the game, your main objective is to snag and purify "Shadow Pokémon." There are 48 different Shadow Pokémon that you can snag. There are a few Shadow Pokémon that are from Ruby/Sapphire, and a lot from the Gold/Silver/Crystal series that weren't included in Ruby/Sapphire. Colosseum is an RPG-style game. Certain trainers will have Shadow Pokémon in their teams. Early in the game, you will rescue a girl that will travel with you and identify Shadow Pokémon, as Shadow Pokémon have a dark aura around them that normal people can't see. Shadow Pokémon are Pokémon that have artifically had the "doors to their hearts" closed by evil groups of people that want to turn Poké into fierce battling machines that have no hearts. Shadow Pokémon are heartless, mindless, and fearless battlers. There are no wild Pokémon in Colosseum. For the first time in any Pokémon series, you actually get to "steal" Pokémon from other trainers. If the opposing trainer is using a Shadow Pokémon, the girl partner will let you know that there is a Shadow Pokémon. You can then use PokéBalls to try to catch the Shadow Pokémon. Shadow Pokémon, just like wild Pokémon, are caught much more easily if their HP are lowered and they are affected by a status condition, such as paralysis or sleep. Most of the Pokémon that you fight will be normal Pokémon though, and you can't snag normal Pokémon. When you catch a Shadow Pokémon, it will not gain any experience points at first, and it will only know one move, Shadow Rush. Shadow Rush is a typeless move that damages the user. When you catch a Shadow Pokémon, its experience meter will be replaced with a darkness meter that is divided up into 5 sections. Every time a section of the meter is depleted, the Pokémon will become closer to becoming purified. To reduce a Shadow Pokémon's darkness meter, you can use it in battle, call it out of hyper mode in battle when it enters hyper mode as a result of using the Shadow Rush move, place it in the day-care center, use different scents on it, or just walk around with the Pokémon in your party. As the Pokémon becomes purified, it will start to remember some of its other moves besides Shadow Rush, and it will reveal its personality. When a Pokémon's darkness meter is completely emptied, it will still not be purified. You will have to take it to the Relic Stone in Agate Village. When you walk up to the stone, you can purify any Shadow Pokémon whose darkness meter has completely emptied. When a Pokémon is fully purified, it will gain all of the experience points that it earned from battling while it was a Shadow Pokémon. It will also forget the Shadow Rush move, and it will be awarded a ribbon. A shadow Pokémon starts earning experience points when two of the five sections of its darkness meter have emptied, but the experience points will not actually be awarded to the Pokémon until purification is complete. there are also 3 Time Flutes in the game. You can use a Time Flute to completely purify a Pokémon, no matter how much of its darkness meter has been depleted. The Time Flute has to be used at the Relic Stone. When it is used, you will see Celebi come down itself and break the curse on the Pokémon. Once a Pokémon has been completely purified at the Relic Stone, it will be a normal Pokémon, and once you complete the game, you can trade any of your purified Pokémon to your Ruby/Sapphire gameboy advance games. Fire Red/Leaf Green will also be compatibile with Colosseum. So, I hope that this info was a little useful!! :wave:

The above info only covered the Story mode. There is a battle mode in Colosseum. In battle mode, there is no real story line, you just fight different trainers. There are different competitions that you can enter, including level 50 and level 100 competitions where you battle 8 trainers at various difficulty levels. You can choose to fight in either 1 vs. 1 or 2 vs. 2 modes. Then there is Mt. Battle. In Mt. Battle, you have to fight 100 trainers. You can also choose whether you want to fight in 1 vs. 1 or 2 vs. 2 mode on Mt. Battle.

Overall, I found Colosseum to be a very entertaining game, and I enjoyed it a lot. Some people weren't impressed with the graphics, because they were basically the Nintendo 64 graphics. However, the graphics are still solid, and the game was enjoyable. If you liked the other Pokémon games, you should like Colosseum.

andyizcool
8th May 2004, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a great game and I'm getting it on the 14th May, the release date in the UK. All the storyline about Darkness and their hearts sounds like Kingdom Hearts. Then again all RPGs use the style of Good vs Evil or Light vs Darkness.

Would you recommend using the 3 Time Flutes on all the Beasts? That way you could find out their Nature and IVs pretty soon. Also if a Pokemon hasn't battled then it would have no EVs so I could EV Train it the way I want on my GBA.

Poryhedron
8th May 2004, 12:17 PM
The Time Flutes are like the Master Ball. You can use them however you want, but there are usually certain pokémon that it's more "worth it" to use them on. I think it's generally said that Tyranitar and Metagross are good pokémon to use the Time Flutes on...

ace
8th May 2004, 02:58 PM
Sound hard. Really hard, and complicated. But i'll try it....

Razola
9th May 2004, 03:27 PM
I never bought it. There was a whole thread dedicated to my dissapointment, but here's the cliff-notes version:

Colosseum is basically Stadium 3, only this time there is a story mode. Many will call this RPG mode, but it's only an RPG in the loosest terms. The game can be fairly linear and there's no serious exploration or travel. In a sense, Story Mode is the same string of battles you've had in every Stadium game. Only this time there is something mildly interesting going on between battles.

The rest is standard stadium fare. I only reccomend it if you are a hopeless pokemon fan *coughanimleecough*. Otherwise, give it a rental or wait for it to hit the Player's Choice price.

Ultimate Pikachu
11th May 2004, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a great game and I'm getting it on the 14th May, the release date in the UK. All the storyline about Darkness and their hearts sounds like Kingdom Hearts. Then again all RPGs use the style of Good vs Evil or Light vs Darkness.

Would you recommend using the 3 Time Flutes on all the Beasts? That way you could find out their Nature and IVs pretty soon. Also if a Pokemon hasn't battled then it would have no EVs so I could EV Train it the way I want on my GBA.

I would not recommend the Time Flutes for the 3 beasts because they're knid of easy to purify. save them for ones that will be hard for you. I wouldn't waste time in Colesseum because you catch them during trainer battles and normally right after that it's annoying fighting someone over and over. I would wait until Fire Red and Leaf Green come out, but it will still be hard to get ones with good Natures and IVs. The only way I would try to EV train a Legendary is if you walk up to it and it fights you, like Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Ho-oh, Lugia, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios or Latias on Southern Island, Kyogre, Groudon, or Rayquaza. I wish Lengends could breed.