PDA

View Full Version : The NEED to Write?

achooxp
10th May 2004, 02:38 AM
Often I've been told that the best writers don't write because they want to, but because they need to? I'm not one of the best by any means, but I definitely don't feel a NEED to write things. So my question is, do you buy this philosophy on writing? If so and/or if not, do you personally feel it?

Blackjack Gabbiani
10th May 2004, 02:54 AM
I do partially, but that's because I have a need to express myself. It doesn't always have to be through writing, though. That's the need to tell a story, which is somewhat different.

Dragonfree
10th May 2004, 06:58 AM
When I have inspiration for a certain story, I will think up things for it just normally throughout my day. Usually when I think up things word by word, I have a need to write them and publicize them in some way or another. Therefore, yeah, I sorta do have a need for writing, but not until I have something to write.

mr_pikachu
10th May 2004, 11:44 AM
I kinda feel a longing to write, pretty no matter what I'm doing. I like to express myself, and to develop my skills. So yeah, I'd say I probably feel a need to write, in a sense.

Oakbark
10th May 2004, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I believe that statement. I am no brilliant writer, but sometime my head becomes so overwhelmed by story ideas that i have to write to "get it out of my system". Otherwise it terrorises me day and night, the same plot racing about my brain, constantly yearning to escape and be expanded on....
*sigh* Yep, I crazy aren't I?

Iveechan
10th May 2004, 04:20 PM
I have almost no desire to write most of the time. But I have so many story ideas, I just hate the writing part. So most of my stories are forced out, just because I want to get these ideas out.

The Decapitated Mole
10th May 2004, 05:05 PM
I like to write. Actually, I love to write. It's one of the few things that I'm at least decent at. But I never really feel a need to write[except when I'm depressed, then I just write to get **** off my chest], I just like to express myself, usually through artwork and writing, and I draw a lot, so when I run out of paper I usually just crank out a new chapter of Hiro or something. I like to make people laugh, or otherwise feel some kind of emotion, but I wouldn't say I really feel a need to write.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
10th May 2004, 11:51 PM
I don't know if it's about expressing myself, really, but the fact is that I really love writing. I do. It's one of my passions in life. I get a lot of enjoyment from everything about it, and I want to write professionally one day.

But to say that I have a need to write ... I don't know if that's the case for me. I don't have an absolute need for it really. Still, it's different for each person, I'm sure.

Suite Madame Blue
12th May 2004, 12:12 AM
Oosh, I haven't actively written in a long time, but when I want to express myself that's the way I do it. When I was writing actively, I had my perfect time of day all picked out, about 2:40-3:00 in the afternoon, because I had to get to my kids' school early so I could park, and the final bell rang at 3. This became my habit. If for some reason I ran late and couldn't write, I felt like I had missed something vital in my day. I'm not sure why I stopped, maybe summer vacation interfered with my routine, but I miss having those 20 minutes alone with my pen and notebook. For me, it's not so much the NEED to write, but the WANT to write.

Chris 2.1
12th May 2004, 11:48 AM
I don't NEED to write, but I do love and enjoy it. Then again, I'm not a professional, am I?

Neo-Xantios
14th May 2004, 08:36 AM
For me, writing is my only mean to wholly communicate, and my only language ability I can fully rely on. So there is a need, if you call it, for me to write. When I'm writing, I can pen down almost every idea in my mind where in speech, a great apprehension hinders me. But then again, I fail to organise properly and take time on summing up my thoughts. I also get enticed by different styles of writing. Perhaps because of this, I feel like I'm writing to express and to also impress with all my power.