PDA

View Full Version : A dip in theforum?

PancaKe
13th May 2004, 06:41 AM
Is it just me, or is the fanfic forumvisibly less active - by both newbies and vetenarians? Because I come here - and hardly anything new is posted, hardly anything is updated and hardly anything is replied to.

Comments?

**PancaKe||

Suite Madame Blue
13th May 2004, 10:27 AM
I've noticed this trend in the past, and you can chalk it up to the time of year. For a lot of people, the end of school is approaching, and they have a lot going on: final exams, prom, graduation for some, and then vacation. Not to mention spring fever in general. It takes away from writing for now, but in another month or so, it should pick back up.

Chris 2.1
13th May 2004, 10:38 AM
In all fairness I update my fanfic regularly. I do see a dip, though, which is, as Madame Suite Blue said, due to exams.

Although I DID start the regular writing/poetry contests to bring the writers lounge forum back top life, a little.

The Decapitated Mole
13th May 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm just as active [with updates and random here-ness-postings] as always. My chapters are infrequent so I can keep you all on your toes, and then catch you off guard. Or I'm just lazy.

But yeh. Fanfic will just... get like that sometimes. I've been noticing the inactivity, too, but for me it seems normal. Everything will come back to life eventually.

o_0
jimm

Darien Shields
13th May 2004, 03:01 PM
Hmm, postiness has been waining, but I've often heard of this, and it being appreciated to school and the like. Ironically I should have more time to write now, since I've got Study Leave (and by Mew, I don't intend to do any studying!) and stuff, but I've actually spent a lot of my time training pokemon to beat up a friend. That and lusting over FR Imports...

I'll get back to work soon, I promise!

mr_pikachu
13th May 2004, 05:35 PM
I started a topic about this awhile back, called "The Circle of Life", or something to that effect. This happens with different times of the year, when we amateur writers just get really busy. When we can't control out schedule, we become less active. That actually seems to apply to the whole forum; I got on PCG the other day and there were maybe five threads that had been replied to in the past day, when normally the entire page is refreshed. So yeah, it's not just a Fanfic problem. When May draws to a close, things should get (somewhat) back to normal. Until then, well, those of us who are finished will have plenty of time to keep our fics at the top of the forum page! ^_^; I'll leave you with that thought! :wave:

mistysakura
14th May 2004, 02:08 AM
I went inactive for almost a week, doing debating research I didn't need... anyway, I'm back now. The bad thing is, exams are two weeks away. I guess for many people there's just too much life in the way of TPM. With the holidays coming up, there should hopefully be a rebound, though.

Light_Togetic
19th May 2004, 09:34 PM
I agree, it's time for studying and tests and finals and all that... I for one, know that my fic won't be updated until after my Organic Chemistry Final... *DUN DUN DUN DUN!* I'm so worried about that test... >_< And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way about the upcoming weeks...

classy_cat18
19th May 2004, 09:42 PM
I blame school in general. Lousy pre-cal professor thinks he's all that...

Gavin Luper
20th May 2004, 08:58 AM
I've noticed, too. Like everyone says, it's probably the time of year. The last month or two have been really slow and sluggish, I've found.

However, I have noticed something ... there hasn't been a new fic that's boomed lately. I don't know if everyone will get what I mean - but think of fics like The Emerald League, Love and Sacrifice, The Azure League, SAI, Lapras Valley High ... they were all fics that boomed really suddenly, drew in heaps of readers and became TPM legends.

What's up with that? Are there going to be any more classics? Or are we becoming stale?

Charizard04621
20th May 2004, 09:08 AM
Gavin - Are those all trainer fics? Personally haven't read them all, but if they are, that might be the reason why. Either the people who are writing trainer fics now just have stale plotlines, or the ones capable of writing "classics" are not tackling trainer fic material. I mean, if you ask me, that thing is getting kind of difficult to make original. So much good stuff has already been done before.

Btw, Pancake, it's "veteran", not "veterinarian" (The word "vetenarian" does not exist). They're both called vets for short, but one's marked for being around a long time while the other takes care of sick animals. Just thought you should know in case you brought it up at a moment in the future where it would be really embarrassing.

Chris 2.1
20th May 2004, 12:18 PM
Gav - well I am of the opinion as soon as the legends like LTL, EBTV and TEL die, by that time new legends will arise, being ones with high postcounts. I mean I've only got about 4 readers, but meh, It's kool.

I think everybody sets out to make a 'TPM LEGEND'. I guess it's harder than we all think.

DannyBoy
20th May 2004, 04:40 PM
I think this forum in general has gone down. I love the place but other places seem to be more active and I don't think its cause of exams. Not to diss the place but not a lot happens here and people see and they just go to another place.

mistysakura
21st May 2004, 03:25 AM
Hmm... so it's like a vicious cycle? Forum activity goes down, people stop going to forum, forum activity goes down even more? That makes sense... but if people actually want to write, or read, they'll come here, won't they? It's not quantity, but quality that mtters. Some people do judge forums by their activity though, which is sad. In fact, this forum inactivity thing is just sad.

And about the TPM classics, I've noticed that too. The popularity of fics is evening out a lot more, with new writers getting a little bit more recognition, but having no exceptional fics at the same time. I don't know why.

I myself am having a busy time though.