PDA

View Full Version : Jirachi. And effort values. Need advice.

Saria
14th May 2004, 10:25 AM
*de-lurks*

First, to those who vaguely remember me from a long time ago...yes, I'm still alive. =P

So, when I first read about the whole new effort value system, I thought to myself, "This is way too much work on top of the dishes and the laundry and all the rest of it." This is a casual hobby for me, carefully selecting what I battle in the wild is too time-consuming.

But now I have a Jirachi. Probably the only one I'm likely to get. I don't want to screw it up, if you know what I mean. I've only got a handful of vitamins to my name (all graciously provided by Fetch the Linoone), so training in the wild is all I've got. I have a list of what species provide what number of EV points in what category, and now I'm wondering...should I realistically care about this? And if so, do you have any thoughts on what stats, if any, I should be building up more than the others? Here's the rundown, if you need it:

Jirachi Lv. 5
Quiet Nature
HP: 26
Att: 15
Def: 15
Sp.Att: 16
Sp.Def: 15
Speed: 13
(Wish, Confusion, Rest, has not had a single battle yet)

Okay, so...if I really shouldn't be worried about any of this, feel free to tell me off. I'm tough, I can take it. =P Otherwise, all advice would be enormously appreciated. :D I'll research movesets a little later.

phaedrus
14th May 2004, 12:01 PM
raindance
thunder
waterpulse
wish/rest/filler
@kingsrock

with serene grace, enhanced flinch, par AND confusion. gotta love it.

252 spd., 252 sp.atk., 6 hp.

Saria
14th May 2004, 01:40 PM
Um...yeah. :what:

Thanks for posting, but I wasn't asking for a moveset.

*glances around desperately* Is anyone interested in actually reading my question?

Poryhedron
14th May 2004, 01:44 PM
Which Effort Values are best for your pokémon usually depends on what moveset you want to give it. That's why strat included one of the best Jirachi movesets along with the EV distribution that's best for that set.

Saria
14th May 2004, 05:31 PM
*squints* Um...okay, as I said, this is a casual hobby for me, so maybe I'm not understanding strats terminology/short forms. Is he trying to tell me to do 252 battles for speed points, 252 battles for special attack points, and 6 battles for HP points? Or battle to achieve the equivalent of 252 etc. points in those categories, if I happen across species that dole out 2 or more points per victory? I just looked at it and had no clue what he was trying to tell me, and...I guess if I haven't decided on a moveset yet, the whole question bcomes moot.

I was really looking for generalities, like "train up these particular stats, they'll be more useful to you in the long run," and I've been away from this board for so long that I haven't yet picked up on all the new abbreviations and things. Now that I look at it closely, I think I understand what he was trying to get across to me.

*apologizes to strat* 9.9;

Kari and Mewtwo
14th May 2004, 09:44 PM
Jirachi @;leftovers
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Wish

that usually works. The -speed nature might hurt you though.

phaedrus
14th May 2004, 11:22 PM
*squints* Um...okay, as I said, this is a casual hobby for me, so maybe I'm not understanding strats terminology/short forms. Is he trying to tell me to do 252 battles for speed points, 252 battles for special attack points, and 6 battles for HP points? Or battle to achieve the equivalent of 252 etc. points in those categories, if I happen across species that dole out 2 or more points per victory? I just looked at it and had no clue what he was trying to tell me, and...I guess if I haven't decided on a moveset yet, the whole question bcomes moot.

I was really looking for generalities, like "train up these particular stats, they'll be more useful to you in the long run," and I've been away from this board for so long that I haven't yet picked up on all the new abbreviations and things. Now that I look at it closely, I think I understand what he was trying to get across to me.

*apologizes to strat* 9.9;

Certain pokes pack certain EVs. For my Jirachi set, here's how do do EV's:

FAINT THESE POKEMON:

Spinda (1)-Route 113(?) the one with volcanic ash gathering. SPECIAL ATTACK EVS, FAINT THESE 252 TIMES

Manectric, Linoone (2); Zigzagoon, Wingull (1)- Route 118-119. The route east of Mauville before the Berry Master the the Route north if it, namely the one with the tall grass that you can't bike in. SPEED EVS, FAINT THEM SO THEIR EVS ADD TO 252.

Whismur (1); Marill (2)-Whismur in Rusturf Tunnel or Victory Road. Marill on Route 117 works fine too. HP EVS, FAINT THEM SO EVS ADD TO 6.

i tend to abbreviate alot of things i say. my bad if it happens.

Saria
15th May 2004, 08:11 AM
i tend to abbreviate alot of things i say. my bad if it happens.

Oh, no, my fault entirely for not keeping up with the trends. (It's not a new thing for me...from 2000-2001 on these forums, I kept mostly to the Misc board and rarely ventured into the realms of the smart people. :P) It still seems like an awful lot of work, counting out all those battles individually...I'm lucky if I can find 20 minutes a day for games of any kind...but I'll give it an honest try.

Thanks for being so patient and understanding with this uneducated housewife. ;)

Silent Dragonfly
15th May 2004, 09:03 AM
Vitamins can be bought at Slateport for 9800 each, but you can get money very quickly by beating the E4 over with the Amulet Coin equipped.

Each Vitamin gives 10 EVs, and won't raise an EV higher than 100.

So for Strat's set and EVs you should feed it 10 Calciums (100 S.AtkEVs), then defeat 152 Spindas for a total of 252 S.AtkEVs
Feed 10 Carbos (100 SpdEVs) then defeat the pokes that Strat said until you have gained a total of 252 SpdEVs
Then finally finish by gaining HP EVs.

Feeding Vitamins speeds up the whole process really becuase you have to battle less.

Others way of gaining EVs fast are.
1. Equip the Macho Brace. At the start of the battle your pokemon's speed will be halved, but only for the battle, however when the opponent faints you will gain twice as many EVs.
2. If your pokemon has caught the pokerus virus any EVs it will aquire twice as many EVs.

3. If you have both of the above your pokemon will gain 4 times as many EVs

Gligar_Man
17th May 2004, 05:51 PM
<DarkBot> jirachi (JIRACHI L100) @LEFTOVERS [TRAIT] SERENE GRACE [PERSONALITY] TIMID [DVs] 31/31/31/31/31/31 [STAT EXP] 172/0/16/148/158/16
<DarkBot> [HP] 384 [ATTACK] 212 [DEFENSE] 240 [SP. ATK] 275 [SP. DEF] 240 [SPEED] 300
<DarkBot> [MOVES] <CALM MIND> <PSYCHIC> <THUNDERBOLT> <SUBSTITUTE>

thats the jirachi i used, :\ except something over sub, most prefer wish... however if your only gonna use it for in-game or occasionally battling your friends, 252 in s.a., put the rest into hp or speed... modest is good for in-game as well