PDA

View Full Version : TML vs Prodigy (Ref: Zeratul)

The_Missing_Link
30th January 2003, 08:01 AM
This was my other open challenge, but I deleted that one cause I dunno if I had an opponent or not. Anyway, on with the challenge

3 on 3
I choose first
You attack first
DQ: 4 days
Arena: A normal dirt arena, but up in the sky. How it's supported, no one knows. The attack dig can't be used and if a non-flyer/teleporter falls off, my own Dragonite will save them (she will not be participating in the battle) but the Pokemon will take 10% damage due to the force of landing hard on her back
Ref: Zeratul

Go Osiris! (male Poliwrath)

Prodigy
30th January 2003, 08:41 AM
Sure, why not? And, who knows - if you get your TM approved before this match concludes (and at three Pokemon apiece, the battle may take a while), maybe we could even make this an official Gym bout.

Attack, Biohazard!

Biohazard: Koffing-koff!

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs108.png
Biohazard, male Koffing

I'll follow up with my attacks in a bit.

VirtualPlay
30th January 2003, 03:18 PM
heh…thanks for telling me you deleted the other one… ;P

yeah, I guess I'll ref since I did volunteer to do it for the other battle (that you closed) so I change my sig now…

VirtualPlay
3rd February 2003, 03:24 PM
Wake-up call for Prodigy…post your moves, please!

Prodigy
3rd February 2003, 04:42 PM
Er.. sorry.

Biohazard, hold off Osiris with a sturdy Substitute and float up and away from him, blasting away with Zap Cannon and Thunderbolt while you keep your distance. If Poliwrath attacks with Psychic, Mimic the attack and turn it on him.. but make sure you get your Substitute up.

Substitute, Zap Cannon, Thunderbolt

If Poliwrath uses Psychic --> Mimic first time, Substitute if he hasn't already, then replace the remainder of the original attack plans with Psychic

The_Missing_Link
3rd February 2003, 04:48 PM
Let him use that substitute, Osiris. Use a double team to up your own defense. Now, zap cannon is pretty innacurate altogether and plus the fact that you're using a double team is furthering the chances of it to fail so use a hydro pump on the sub. Then finish things off with a blizzard

Double Team~Hydro Pump~Blizzard

VirtualPlay
4th February 2003, 10:58 PM
Round 01

Arena:
A mysteriously suspended dirt arena. High up in the air, using Dig would go through the bottom of the arena, and therefore has been advised against. T_M_L's own Dragonite flies around the arena, waiting for any Pokémon that decide to fall off of the arena. If she catches a fallen Pokémon, that Pokémon will take 10% damage from the fall before Dragonite returns to the arena to drop off the Pokémon.

The_Missing_Link: Osiris (Poliwrath - M)
HP: 100% ~-~ Fatigue: 0%
Double Team ~^~ Hydro Pump ~^~ Blizzard

Prodigy: Biohazard (Koffing - M)
Substitute ~^~ Zap Cannon ~^~ Thunderbolt

================================

Pre-Battle:
Well, this is a nice perplexing arena. A five-foot tall pile of dirt just floating in the middle of nowhere. The ref sits in a floating car on the side of the arena, while TML stands in her box at one end, both waiting for the challenger to come. TML's Dragonite flies freely around the arena.

Suddenly, another box comes floating up from nowhere. It attaches to the other end of the arena in the same way TML's box is. Inside is the challenger, Prodigy. TML, happy to have someone accept her challenge, sends out Osiris, her male Poliwrath. Prodigy throws out a Pokéball of his own, revealing a male Koffing he calls Biohazard.

With a sly grin on his face, Prodigy reveals his plan to rule the…err, actually he just reveals his attack list. "Biohazard, hold off Osiris with a sturdy Substitute and float up and away from him, blasting away with Zap Cannon and Thunderbolt while you keep your distance. If Poliwrath attacks with Psychic, Mimic the attack and turn it on him.. but make sure you get your Substitute up."

The ref is already spinning in confusion when TML counters with her moveset. "Let him use that Substitute, Osiris. Use a Double Team to up your own defense. Now, Zap Cannon is pretty inaccurate altogether and plus the fact that you're using a double team is furthering the chances of it to fail so use a Hydro Pump on the sub. Then finish things off with a Blizzard."

Finally sorting out what's going to happen, the ref moves his floating car above the middle of the arena, where the Pokéball symbol is placed. "All Pokémon: ready. Attacks: issued. Ready…set…BATTLE!"

*DING*

At the sound of the bell, Biohazard quickly moves to make a clone of itself. Feeding HP from his own self, he creates a carbon copy, good enough to fool anybody. Even the ref is looking a bit confused. But Osiris pays him no mind. He's more concentrated on his attack command. Fast as the eye can blink, Osiris creates another copy of himself. Then the two split into six, rendering the ref totally bewildered as to which Pokémon are real.

Osiris: HP: 100% || Fatigue: 3% — Status: 5 clones

Biohazard: HP: 82% || Fatigue: 4% — Status: fine
Substitute: 18%

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-01-01.gif

Biohazard, from his "hidden" position, suddenly reappears, charged with electricity, and fires off a bright yellow orb of electricity at…wait, there are more than one! Realizing his mistake too late, Biohazard has no time to rethink where to aim the Zap Cannon. It charges at the Osiris on the far left of Biohazard, disintegrating both it and the clone next to it.

Now only four clones of Osiris remain, and they all group together. Suddenly, huge gushes of water eminate from the group and hurtle towards the substitute of Biohazard. The substitute flees, avoiding most, but one gush rams into it, knocking it down. The clone shakes it off and begins hovering again.

Osiris: HP: 100% || Fatigue: 9% — Status: 3 clones

Biohazard: HP: 82% || Fatigue: 10% — Status: fine
Substitute: 11%

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-01-02.gif

Slightly annoyed that the Substitute remained after being hit, Osiris calls forth a raging Blizzard. This time, Biohazard's substitute is not fast enough to evade the attack and gets hit with the full force of the attack. With a soft pop, the substitute fades out of existence, revealing the real Biohazard. As a side effect, the leftover water from Osiris's Hydro Pump freezes from the extreme cold.

Not too happy with the destruction of his Substitute, Biohazard charges up again, this time surging forth a Thunderbolt at the conveniently grouped clones. Try as he might, Osiris can?t separate the clones in time, and the Thunderbolt hits all of them. The three fakes fade out, while Osiris falls down, slightly paralyzed. He manages to stand up and face Biohazard, but his body is still surging with a bit of electricity.

Osiris: HP: 88% || Fatigue: 16% — Status: slightly paralyzed

Biohazard: HP: 82% || Fatigue: 14% — Status: none too happy
Substitute: 0%

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-01-03.gif

Both Pokémon stare each other down. Osiris is flexing to try and get rid of his paralysis, while Biohazard fumes (no pun intended) at the loss of his Substitute. The ref calls the end of Round One.

Osiris
HP: 88% || Fatigue: 16%

Biohazard
HP: 82% || Fatigue: 14%

Arena:
As a whole, the arena has not changed much. The main difference is that there is now a thin sheet of ice where the water left over from Hydro Pump was frozen by Blizzard. Other than that, nothing else is different.

The_Missing_Link
5th February 2003, 03:44 PM
Osiris, shroud yourself with a haze to keep yourself away from thos nasty electric attacks. Then kick him hard and high with a mega kick and finish things off with a hypnosis

Haze~Mega Kick~Hypnosis

If he tries a toxic or zap cannon again, double team. If you have any moves after that, go with the same plan

Prodigy
5th February 2003, 05:22 PM
Float up high above the fog, out of melee range, and pump a highly toxic gas down to the ground below before disrupting Osiris with a long, shrill, ear-shattering Screech.

float up, Poison Gas, Screech

Prodigy
6th February 2003, 05:39 PM
While we're waiting for Zeratul, TML.. have you decided whether or not you'd like to make this an official Gym Battle?

The_Missing_Link
6th February 2003, 05:41 PM
I was waiting for you to ask that. Yes, this will be an official gym battle. If you win, it won't be a hard blow since you're already a good battler but of course I'm not gonna hold back

VirtualPlay
7th February 2003, 11:13 PM
Official Gym Leader Battle
Round 02

Arena:
The whole arena is still quite sturdy and continues hovering by whatever mysterious powers are holding it afloat. On one side of the arena is a large area of thin ice, a result of a Blizzard freezing water left behind from a Hydro Pump. T_M_L’s Dragonite continues to fly around the arena without much of a care.

The_Missing_Link: Osiris (Poliwrath — M)
HP: 88% ~-~ Fatigue: 16%
Haze ~^~ Mega Kick ~^~ Hypnosis

Prodigy: Biohazard
HP: 82% ~-~ Fatigue: 14%
”Float Up” ~^~ Poison Gas ~^~ Screech

Pre-Battle:
Both Pokémon stare each other down. Biohazard is quite mad that his substitute broke, and is fuming (again, no pun) at Osiris. Osiris himself looks fine, but occasionally a small surge of leftover electricity temporaarily locks up his muscles.

T_M_L makes the next move: “Osiris, shroud yourself with a Haze to keep yourself away from thos nasty electric attacks. Then kick him hard and high with a Mega Kick and finish things off with a Hypnosis.”

Prodigy then finds attacks that would easily counter T_M_L’s. He calls out, “Float up high above the fog, out of melee range, and pump a highly toxic gas [(Poison Gas)] down to the ground below before disrupting Osiris with a long, shrill, ear-shattering Screech.”

The ref, satisfied that both Pokémon are ready for the next round, swings his arm down. From somewhere a bell sounds again, signaling the start of the round.

*DING*

Osiris closed his eyes. From somewhere around him, a large amount of haze suddenly flowed out, shrouding the entire arena. Osiris felt the neutarlizing power flow through him, and his Paralysis faded. Unfortunately, Biohazard was not one to benefit from this cloudy show, so he decided to take his business elsewhere. Namely, the sky. Biohazard floated high above the arena as Osiris’s Haze dispersed. He started to feel a little lightheaded as he looks around the freely floating arena.

Osiris: HP: 88% || Fatigue: 17% — Status: feeling fine

Biohazard: HP: 82% || Fatigue: 16% — Status: floating free; a bit dizzy

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-02-01.gif

Osiris looked around as the Haze cleared. He finally spotted Biohazard at his very high perch. Osiris knew he’s supposed to use a Mega Kick, but he starts to have doubts. How the heck was he going to reach Biohazard to smack him? Taking a large chance, Osiris backed up, then charged forward, jumping when he reached the middle of the arena. He aimed his foot at where he saw Biohazard to be.

However, Biohazard was having troubles of his own. Normally he’d be fine floating this high, but it seems seeing the floating arena just…hanging there has made Koffing a little unsure about it. Fortunately for him, his mind snapped back into focus when he saw Osiris suddenly come flying up at him. Quickly he launched a Poison Gas at where Osiris was about to go.

Osiris went up, and up, and…stopped about 5 feet from Biohazard. Misjudging the amount of power it took to get up to Biohazard cost Osiris the attack, but it also saved him from the poison. Wait, something’s missing. Oh, yeah, GRAVITY! With a large crunch, Osiris fell to the ground, creating a small crater.

The ref also noticed that the ice patch was starting to melt. That meant that it would be even more slippery for any Pokémon unfortunate enough to walk on it.

Osiris: HP: 79% || Fatigue: 22% — Status: in pain, great pain

Biohazard: HP: 82% || Fatigue: 18% — Status: floating free; quite dizzy

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-02-02.gif

Osiris tenderly got up. His muscles were aching like mad, but fortunately for him, his next attack called for some quiet meditation as he attempted to hypnotize Biohazard into a deep sleep. Sitting down to relax a bit, Osiris attempted an assault on Biohazard’s floating mind.

As he floated, seemingly carelessly, high above the Arena, Biohazard was dealing with some mental problems. For one, he was still feeling weirded out by the fact that the arena was just…floating. He also knew he had to use a Screech attack on that infernal Osiris. Unfortunately, Osiris was mentally battering him, telling him to go to sleep. Sleep sounded good to Biohazard, but he tried hard enough to Screech. He managed to make an annoyingly shrill, 3-second Screech, before he succumbed to Osiris’s mental torture. He fell, considerably lighter, to the ground, bouncing a couple times before dozing off to dreamland.

Osiris: HP: 77% || Fatigue: 26% — Status: in pain still; hurts to walk

Biohazard: HP: 81% || Fatigue: 20% — Status: asleep

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-02-03.gif

Carefully, Osiris checks on Biohazard, finding him genuinely asleep. Unfortunately, he’s still in pain from the high fall, so he’s not moving very fast. The ref, seeing that all the moves have been used, calls the end of Round 2.

Osiris
HP: 76% || Fatigue: 27%

Biohazard
HP: 81% || Fatigue: 20%

Arena:
There is a rather large crater in the dirt where Osiris landed. The larger patch of ice that Osiris made when Blizzard hit the Hydro Pump water is slowly starting to melt. That means increased slippage for any unfortunate Pokémon that end up on top of it. And still, T_M_L’s Dragonite freely flies around the arena.

VirtualPlay
10th February 2003, 04:23 PM
< 36 hour DQ warning, for Prodigy…

comm'on…I wanna finish reffing this too :P

Prodigy
10th February 2003, 05:25 PM
Sorry. I wasn't on much this weekend and didn't notice that the reffing had been posted. I guess it dropped down off the first page pretty quickly.

Before I post attacks, why did Poliwrath's Haze clear Poliwrath's paralysis and then vanish? The Attack List Beta entry for Haze reads as follows:

Haze: The air becomes very foggy. It is hard to see. Attack and defense strategies dependent on sight are relatively futile. Excellent accuracy.

While I realize that individual referees are allowed to interpret moves in their own ways, Poliwrath's Haze worked in a drastically different way from the ALB listing, and in a way that doesn't make sense to me. If you're basing the status-clearing effect of Haze off the Game Boy version, it should be noted that the Game Boy Haze only clears the opponent's status effects (although it erases stad mods on both Pokemon.)

VirtualPlay
10th February 2003, 08:27 PM
well, yeah, I was kinda going on the GB version of Haze…but the paralysis was weak anyway, and I was going to have it gone by the second action anyway. The Haze just gave some way for me to explain the paralysis away.

Even if I were to re-ref it, the end result would have been the same, because Osiris would have still missed with Mega Kick and fallen, the Poison Gas wouldn't have gone very far through the Haze, and the Hypnosis still would've been mental torture for Biohazard. Also, the Haze probably would've mostly dispersed by the end of the round, leaving the arena fully visible.

Still, if you want a re-ref, I can change the small details…

Prodigy
12th February 2003, 05:23 PM
Hm. I was banking on the obscuring effect of Haze plus the Poison Gas cloud keeping Poliwrath from making the eye contact ("strategies dependent on sight are relatively futile") necessary to pull off Hypnosis ("stares deeply into the eyes of one victim"), with the Screech thrown in to disrupt Poliwrath's concentration even if he did lock eyes with Biohazard.

Seems to me this combination of factors would have made lulling Biohazard to sleep fairly difficult for Osiris. I'd sort of like to hear how Poliwrath pulled it off, but Biohazard and I will manage either way, and I'll follow up with my attacks once you can get back to me on this.

VirtualPlay
14th February 2003, 06:25 PM
Hm, well you must understand that the ASB Attack List BETA is only a guideline for people who have little or no idea what an attack can do in the Animé. I, however, do not use the ASB ALB for most of my reffings.

Therefore, don't use the ALB to 'correct' my refs.

I ref based on what I'd assume the attack to do if it were real life. Haze would be a cloud of neutralizing liquid drops (not "Water") that revert all Pokémon caught in the cloud to how they were at the beginning of the battle, save HP and Fatigue levels.

As for Hypnosis, it doesn't require eye contact to work. Believe me, I've seen it IRL. All you need is a convincing voice. Since Poliwrath can also use Psychic, I merely converted the "physical voice" influence to a "mental voice" influence.

If you don't like the way I ref, tough. You didn't pick me for ref, TML did, and unless she doesn't want me reffing, I'm gonna keep reffing the way I do.

Now, if you have any other questions about how I ref, I'll answer them, but unless you point out a mistake that I can't possibly explain, I won't change my refs.

Prodigy
14th February 2003, 07:03 PM
Fine. Biohazard, use Sleep Talk as long as you're asleep.. it's a move I would have rather avoided, but Snore is a rather pathetic alternative, so this is probably your best bet.

Since you're sleeping rather unsoundly, odds are you'll wake up if Poliwrath starts trying to slap you around. Whenever you do, keep away from Poliwrath and try to avoid whatever he throws at you. If you get an opening, launch a Thunderbolt.

Biohazard is asleep: Sleep Talk
Biohazard is awake: Active evasion, Thunderbolt if there's an opening

Charizard04621
14th February 2003, 08:30 PM
Might I remind Zeratul that this is Animé Style Battling, not "real life" battling?

Hypnosis requires eye contact in the Animé, as shown often with Noctowl. The Animé is not real life. Real life is not the Animé. Now, if you want to go ref some real life battle, go right ahead, but don't do it here. As long as you're in the Animé Style Battling forum, you should be reffing in the Animé style.

As for Haze, I don't really know how you're making your case on that one. Haze doesn't cure status effects in the Animé; neither does it do so in real life. I have to point out that reffing in the Animé style is preferable in Animé Style Battling, rather than using GameBoy definitions.

If you don't like reffing in the Animé Style, tough. But this is the Animé Style Battling forum, not the Real Life battling or Game Boy battling forum.

I am sorry to lose my temper like this, but I got irritated when you got pissed off. Chain reaction, I guess.

The_Missing_Link
15th February 2003, 12:54 PM
Karin, Zeratul wasn't pissed off. He's a competent, reliable ref that I picked because of that. And didn't you read what he said about the haze and paralysis? It was going to go away anyway but just tied it in with the haze, even though he knows what it does in the anime

I do however, agree with Prodigy in that hypnosis shouldn't have worked. I've seen hypnosis occur in the anime before and the user does need eye contact with the opponent. The thing though, is that Osiris and Biohazard made eye contact when Osiris attempted mega kick, so they would still be able to see each other by the time Osiris would attempt hypnosis

Now I'm all confused but I'm just gonna wait for Zeratul to give his opinion...again

VirtualPlay
15th February 2003, 01:25 PM
Let's see…

the Paralysis was weak, and the Haze was an escape move that let the paralysis wear off.

The Hypnosis worked either way, by this reasoning: When Osiris went for Mega Kick and missed, He fell to the ground dispersing what little Haze was left over. The Poison Gas faded away after it missed Osiris, because it was a weak cloud meant only for poisoining. It wasn't Smokescreen or Smog, which linger. Therefore, Osiris still had a clear view of Biohazard for the Hypnotic swirl on his belly to reach Biohazard.

And of course, during all this, Biohazard is a bit dizzy from the sheer height of the platform itself and the craziness that keeps it afloat. If I were to re-ref it now, only a few words would be different, and the result would be the same.

If I continue to be criticized like this, then I'm abandoning all hope of having fun reffing. I'll just drop this reffing and never take another up.* I mean, it's not like I have a reffing paycheck at stake here…

EDIT:
*Note: I'm not planning on leaving ASB, should this happen…just giving up on reffing.

The_Missing_Link
15th February 2003, 04:25 PM
Alright, now that all of us are back on track...

Osiris, put up a 15% sub to keep yourself well guarded. Then attack with a psychic to slam him down and such and then a blizzard

Substitute (15%)~Psychic~Blizzard

Prodigy
15th February 2003, 04:48 PM
"If I keep getting criticized, I'll just give up and I'll never ref another battle, ever again.."

Come on, Zeratul. You shouldn't let what one person says in one battle dissuade from ever doing another reffing again.. that's silly. Lots of battlers question the referee if they think the round's outcome was unfair or inaccurate.. it's just what battlers do. Actually, for some of them, that's half of the fun.

You'll notice that instead of continuing to argue with you over little things (like how Biohazard, who has spent his entire life floating and should be reasonably cool with inexplicably floating objects by now, became weirded out and dizzy when he noticed that the arena was floating while Poliwrath was unaffected) and angrily demanding that you go and fix them or by God I'll drag in a moderator and that'll teach you a thing or two.. I said "Fine", dropped it, and posted attacks.

Really, unless Biohazard has a meteor fall on him or Poliwrath starts hitting with Psychic for 40% damage a shot, he's going to be okay. I'm not complaining anymore, TML doesn't appear to have any complaints.. let's just go, okay?

VirtualPlay
16th February 2003, 09:09 PM
Round 03

Arena:
On one side of the arena is a large patch of melting ice. Any Pokémon unlucky enough to land on it will find the lack of friction difficult to deal with. Also, nearby is a large crater that Osiris created when he fell down quite a few feet. Other than that, the arena is as it was in the beginning: a large floating platform with T_M_L’s Dragonite freely flying around.

HP: 76% ~-~ Fatigue: 27%
Substitute (15%) ~^~ Psychic ~^~ Blizzard

Prodigy: Biohazard (Koffing — M)
HP: 81% ~-~ Fatigue: 20%
Sleep Talk/evade/Thunderbolt ~^~ Sleep Talk/evade/Thunderbolt ~^~ Sleep Talk/evade/Thunderbolt

Pre-Battle:
After a bit of confusion as to how the last round was reffed (which involved the launching of many large, blunt objects at the ref), it seemed the whole ordeal has settled down. Now they can get back to nice, fair battling…right? Right???

*ahem*

Prodigy decided on his attacks first. “Fine. Biohazard, use Sleep Talk as long as you're asleep.. it's a move I would have rather avoided, but Snore is a rather pathetic alternative, so this is probably your best bet. Since you're sleeping rather unsoundly, odds are you'll wake up if Poliwrath starts trying to slap you around. Whenever you do, keep away from Poliwrath and try to avoid whatever he throws at you. If you get an opening, launch a Thunderbolt.”

Suddenly more blunt objects were thrown in the direction of the ref. Moving furiously out of the way, the ref explained once more how the last round played out. Finally, the barrage stopped, and The_Missing_Link got in her attacks.

“Osiris, put up a 15% Sub[stitute] to keep yourself well guarded. Then attack with a Psychic to slam him down and such and then a Blizzard.”

As the ref went to start the round, Veon suddenly appeared in the car with him. After a bit of yelling at the Umbreon as to it’s lack of protection, the ref finally started the round.

*DING*

Though he knew it was going to hurt a bit, Osiris also knew a good idea when he saw it. Quickly, he made a carbon copy of himself, feeding about 15% of his HP into it. Then the real Osiris seemed to disappear, hiding in plain sight.

Of course, during all this, Biohazard slept uneasily, not really wanting to be asleep, but finding no reason not to be. Through his sleep, he heard his trainer’s order to talk in his sleep. Through his deep breathing, he let out a mumble, and soon he emitted an extremely dark cloud of Smog! Ugh, it’s disgusting! It made Osiris’s Substitute buckle under the pressure, but soon an area about 20 feet in diameter was clouded, making it hard to see anything.

Osiris: HP: 60% || Fatigue: 30% — Status: muscle pains are easing off
Substitute: 11% — poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 81 || Fatigue: 21% — Status: turning in his sleep

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-03-01.gif

Now blind, Osiris tried to fill in quickly and knock Biohazard back with a Psychic blast. The Smog presses in, making her a bit poisoned. Irratated, in pain, and feeling sick, Osiris managed to find Biohazard and gives him a Psychic blast at point-blank range.

BOOM! Biohazard went flying! Shaken awake more by the Psychic than the trip, Biohazard pushed forward, slowing his speed, then floated back to the platform, but Osiris was lost again, and the Substitute fools Biohazard.

Osiris: HP: 58% || Fatigue: 32% — Status: muscles are relaxing; slightly poisoned
Substitute: 8% — poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 65% || Fatigue: 28% — Status: wide awake; tired from pushing forward

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-03-02.gif

Since the Smog didn’t seem to want to let up, Biohazard stayed slightly outside the cloud. He peered in, trying to find Osiris in the mess of the cloud. Unfortunately for Biohazard, Osiris found him first. Quickly, Osiris called on a storm of ice and snow, completely blowing away Biohazard and the Smog.

Biohazard, cold and shivering (as best a Koffing can “shiver”), saw a chance to attack. Osiris was out in the open again. Quickly charging up with more electricity, he launched a Thunderbolt at Osiris…or did he? As the Thunderbolt hit, the carbon copy absorbed as much as it could and faded out of existance. The real Osiris was revealed a few feet away.

Osiris: HP: 57% || Fatigue: 35% — Status: pain almost gone; still slightly poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 56% || Fatigue: 31% — Status: extremely cold

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-03-03.gif

And it seemed as yet another side effect, the Blizard has refrozen the sheet of melting ice. Osiris stretched just a little, working off the last of his muscle pains, as Biohazard tried to warm himself up again.

Osiris
HP: 57% || Fatigue: 36%

Biohazard
HP: 56% || Fatigue: 31%

Arena:
The only major change after all the attacks is that the sheet of melting ice has been refrozen. Other than that, everything is the same, all the way down to that Dragonite floating everywhere.

The_Missing_Link
17th February 2003, 03:01 PM
Nice job my friend, this is a very close race. Now, lets try to slow him down a bit and maybe ground him with an icy wind. Then, go in and hit him hard with a seismic toss and finally use a bubblebeam

Icy Wind~Seismic Toss~Bubblebeam

If he tries to get out of your reaching range before you use a seismic toss, use blizzard instead

Prodigy
18th February 2003, 04:48 PM
Cut through Poliwrath's arctic gust with a Fire Blast - damaging Osiris with the attack isn't important (not that it wouldn't be nice), but avoiding further cold damage and warming yourself up a bit is. Poliwrath is going to have to go around or over that crater to get to you, which will delay him at least for a few seconds. Take advantage of this brief opening and splatter him with Toxic. Finally, blast Poliwrath with a Psybeam attack. Go, Biohazard!

Fire Blast, Toxic, Psybeam

VirtualPlay
18th February 2003, 08:29 PM
I may be delayed more than usual on this ref…I am in a particularly foul mood due to an error with the FFA Tourney (TML: IM me… >_< ) and I need to recover from it before I feel like reffing again…

>_<' grr…sorry about this…I hope I can get over it soon…

VirtualPlay
23rd February 2003, 07:23 PM
ergh…I apologize profusely for taking nearly a week to do the reffing…fortunately for all of us I found something that was able to take my mind off of all these distracting thoughts ^-^'

Round 04

Arena:
The once smooth and tidy dirt arena is now a mess. A shallow crater sits near the middle, the result of Osiris falling from a failed Mega Kick. Even more noticable is the extremely large sheet of ice, recently refrozen. The ground near the crater is covered in a thin, speckled layer of soot.

HP: 57% ~-~ Fatigue: 36%
Icy Wind ~^~ Seismic Toss/Blizzard ~^~ BubbleBeam

HP: 56% ~-~ Fatigue: 31%
Fire Blast ~^~ Toxic ~^~ Psybeam

Pre-Battle:
Inside the ref car, Veon nudged the ref, who seemed to be taking a little nap on the job. (In case you’ve forgotten, Veon is an Umbreon.) He mumbled something about idiotic and incompetent ASBers before Veon Screeched in his face. Waking up with a yell, the ref looked around, confused, before bopping Veon on the head with a random hammer (strangely resembling Kirby’s).

The two trainers called out their attacks, but unfortunately, the ref’s ears were still ringing to loud to hear what they said. After another 5 minutes of waiting, the ref managed to get the ringing away. He turned to T_M_L to get her attacks again.

“Nice job my friend, this is a very close race. Now, lets try to slow him down a bit and maybe ground him with an Icy Wind. Then, go in and hit him hard with a Seismic Toss and finally use a Bubblebeam. If he tries to get out of your reaching range before you use a seismic toss, use Blizzard instead.”

Prodigy countered, “Cut through Poliwrath's arctic gust with a Fire Blast - damaging Osiris with the attack isn't important (not that it wouldn't be nice), but avoiding further cold damage and warming yourself up a bit is. Poliwrath is going to have to go around or over that crater to get to you, which will delay him at least for a few seconds. Take advantage of this brief opening and splatter him with Toxic. Finally, blast Poliwrath with a Psybeam attack. Go, Biohazard!”

Veon snickered lightly as the ref rubbed his ears a little more. After he was sure the pain was gone, he swung his arm down. Somewhere a bell rang to start the round.

*DING*

Osiris started out the round in deep concentration. Suddenly, from seemingly nowhere, a sharp gust of Icy Wind flowed from the far end of the Arena, headed straight for Biohazard. But Biohazard was ready. Glowing slightly red for a second, he heated himself up before launching the kanji “big” in a flame towards the sharp breeze and Osiris.

The wind was no match for the hot attack, and the flame continued towards Osiris. Fortunately for him, his type alignment enabled him to resist taking too much damage. The poison inside his body also seemed to be dying down. Too bad about that Icy Wind, though.

Osiris: HP: 54% || Fatigue: 38% — heated up, not very much poison left

Biohazard: HP: 56% || Fatigue: 37% — warm again

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-04-01.gif

Knowing that his next attack called for grappling onto Biohazard, Osiris quickly crossed the shallow crater. Too bad it seemed Biohazard had a nice surprise for him. As Osiris jumped, arms outstretched, Biohazard launched the prepared toxins from his mouth, aimed at Osiris’s belly.

The poison struck home, but it wasn’t a strong enough splurt to slow Osiris’s momentum. Now feeling sick and angry, Osiris grabbed onto the “floating smoke bag” (as per what he probably would call Biohazard) and quickly spun around in mid-air, hurling Biohazard towards the ground.

Biohazard’s landing created a crater comparable to Osiris’s earlier one. Osiris nimbly landed on the dirt, but swayed a little as the toxins in his body slowly sapped his strength.

Osiris: HP: 49% || Fatigue: 43% — heavily poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 44% || Fatigue: 41% — stunned, in a great load of pain

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-04-02.gif

Osiris knew his next attack called for a beam of millions of bubbles. But as he tried to start it, he was knocked off-guard by a beam of rainbow Psychic energy, sent his way by a recovered Biohazard. He tumbled backwards, then tries to get up. But it seems he landed on the patch of ice, and so he flailed around for a few seconds. Finally, he slid to the other side and onto bare dirt and stood up.

Now feverish, furious, and frustrated, Osiris aimed at Biohazard and, with more force than he planned, launched a beam of millions of bubbles. It moved faster than Biohazard expected, and soon he was flying again, pushed far off of the arena. After a few seconds, he managed to recover himself and float back.

Osiris: HP: 36% || Fatigue: 49% — extremely mad, heavily poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 39% || Fatigue: 44% — stunned again, wet

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-04-03.gif

As the round comes to an end, both Pokémon are eyeing each other warily. The last round has been one of the most damaging for both Pokémon, and who knows what’s going to happen next round? The ref, seeing the action die down, called the end of the round.

Osiris
HP: 36% || Fatigue: 49%

Biohazard
HP: 39% || Fatigue: 44%

Arena:
A new crater has been formed from Biohazard’s crash, comparable in size to the one made by Osiris’s fall. The ice shows no sign of melting yet, and soot still lightly covers the arena, even though it doesn’t have any effect.

Prodigy
24th February 2003, 04:25 PM
Biohazard, cover yourself and the surrounding area with a thick, black Smokescreen while you fashion a Substitute with about a third of your remaining health. Keep a safe distance away from your decoy, and drop a Thunder on Osiris as soon as he comes into view.

Smokescreen, Substitute, Thunder

The_Missing_Link
24th February 2003, 05:31 PM
Osiris, I'm pretty sure you're not that far away to blow that smokescreen away with a heavy blizzard. Then go into a double team and blast that sub with a psychic

Blizzard~Double Team~Psychic

VirtualPlay
27th February 2003, 06:39 PM
Round 05

Arena:
Osiris stands on one side of a large sheet of ice, while Biohazard floats near two shallow, but wide craters. The ice has proven to be a large hinderance last round, while the craters are just something to watch out for. Soot lightly covers the arena, but has no effect on the actual battle.

HP: 36% ~-~ Fatigue: 49%
Blizzard ~^~ Double Team ~^~ Psychic

HP: 39% ~-~ Fatigue: 44%
Smokescreen ~^~ Substitute ~^~ Thunder

Pre-Battle:
Getting a little bored with nothing but the sound of the Pokémon, he rigged up a couple speakers, which promptly started blaring battle music. Ahh, the good old days of Square RPGs on the SNES…

…but anyway! As the music goes, both trainers decide their attacks. Prodigy starts, “Biohazard, cover yourself and the surrounding area with a thick, black Smokescreen while you fashion a Substitute with about a third of your remaining health. Keep a safe distance away from your decoy, and drop a Thunder on Osiris as soon as he comes into view.”

T_M_L, hoping for some good luck, calls out her plan, “Osiris, I'm pretty sure you're not that far away to blow that Smokescreen away with a heavy Blizzard. Then go into a Double Team and blast that sub with a Psychic.”

Turning the volume up a little louder, the ref swung his arm down, once more starting the round. The bell that sounds cut through even the loud music.

*DING*

Practically dripping wet, Biohazard puffed up, emitting a cloud of black smoke which almost completely shrouded him. Hiding inside of his little cloud, Biohazard felt pretty good about himself. That is, until Osiris’s cold Blizzard came blowing around.

The arctic blast easily removes the Smokescreen. But it seemed Biohazard was in a worse state. All the water that soaked him from the previous round started to freeze on his body. Soon, Biohazard was mostly encased in a sheet of ice, limiting his movement greatly. Of course, Osiris couldn’t celebrate much because his own body withered with all the poison inside of him.

Osiris: HP: 31% || Fatigue: 55% — Status: heavily poisoned

Biohazard: HP: 32% || Fatigue: 50% — Status: mostly frozen

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-05-01.gif

On one side of the arena, Osiris got to work making clones of himself. First, one more appeared. Then two more appeared as well, until soon there were six Osiris-clones confused with the real one. Osiris made sure to keep them off the ice so Biohazard would easily be fooled. Unfortunately, Osiris still wasn’t feeling all too well at the moment.

Of course, on the other side of the arena, Biohazard tried to make a physical carbon copy of himself. Unfortunately, he couldn’t do very much, if anything at all, because of the sheet of ice that covered his whole body, save his fume holes. Fortunately for him, he managed to make it, but he was extremely tired from the effort.

Osiris: HP: 27% || Fatigue: 59% — Status: poisoned, 6 clones

Biohazard: HP: 20% || Fatigue: 63% — Status: mostly frozen; tired
Substitute: 11% — Status: fine

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-05-02.gif

Biohazard, still frozen, then tried to make a huge Thunder attack. Unfortunately, tired and frozen as he was, he could barely charge any electricity up. He managed to call down a Thunder, but it was extremely weak and hard to aim. It hit an Osiris on one end of his line, but it wasn’t the real one and the clone merely phased out.

The real Osiris, however, was having problems of his own, what with the poison sapping his strength. Still, he managed to focus his mind to launch a huge Psychic attack on what he thought was Biohazard. Absorbing as much damage as it could take, Biohazard’s Substitute crumbled, revealing the true Biohazard.

Osiris: HP: 23% || Fatigue: 63% — Status: poisoned, 5 clones

Biohazard: HP: 19% || Fatigue: 70% — Status: mostly frozen, tired

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-05-03.gif

Osiris tried to find a way to get rid of his poison, while Biohazard worked on defrosting himself. Both Pokémon, needless to say, were grateful when the ref called the end of the round.

Osiris
HP: 22% || Fatigue: 64%

Biohazard
HP: 19% || Fatigue: 70%

Arena:
Nothing new has been added to the arena, nor anything taken away. The sheet of ice has once again refrozen with Osiris’s Blizzard, but aside from that, nothing has changed.

EDIT: format issues…

The_Missing_Link
1st March 2003, 06:45 PM
Let's do this Osiris. First use a blizzard to freeze him up a bit more and then use a psywave. Finally, use a metronome to mix things up and make the ref go crazy ^_^

Blizzard~Psywave~Metronome

Prodigy
3rd March 2003, 05:01 PM
With the Free-For-All going and me not being on much over the weekend, I really haven't had much time to think out my attack plan for this round.. I'm guessing I could get them up by this time tomorrow, but that's pushing dangerously close to the DQ deadline. TML, could you extend the DQ by another day or two so I'm not quite as pressed for time?

VirtualPlay
3rd March 2003, 05:36 PM
Hey, you don't have to panic…you've got another two days before DQ passes.

~.ş you're gonna make me crazy, eh? Well, you're a little late for that :P

Prodigy
5th March 2003, 04:10 PM
Things aren't going too well for you, are they, Biohazard? Counter Poliwrath's Blizzard with a Fire Blast, hopefully warming yourself up a bit in the process. Blizzards are going to be blasted at you from each of Poliwrath's mirror images, but only one is real - since they'll all be aimed at you, they'll probably converge as they get closer, so launch your attack as they come together.

Now, those clones are going to make things difficult, so sweep through them with a Psywave of your own, holding yours back until Poliwrath's hits if necessary.. eliminating those mirror images is a priority, so it'd be a shame if the two Psywaves just ran into eachother and neutralized themselves. Finally, attack with Psybeam. We'll just have to hope that Metronome doesn't pull up anything dangerous.

Fire Blast, Psywave, Psybeam

VirtualPlay
8th March 2003, 12:45 PM
Round 06

Arena:
As both Pokémon stand (or float), tired and worn, the Arena isn’t much better for wear. The huge sheet of ice is still there, and with all the icy attacks from Osiris, it doesn’t seem to want to go away. Two craters also show on the arena. Shallow, but wide, one’s the result of Osiris’s disagreement with gravity (gravity won); the other, of Osiris’s anger being taken out on Biohazard. Soot still lightly covers the arena, but it has yet been shown to hinder the battle.

HP: 22% ~-~ Fatigue: 64%
Blizzard ~^~ Psywave ~^~ Metronome

HP: 19% ~-~ Fatigue: 70%
Fire Blast ~^~ Psywave ~^~ Psybeam

Pre-Battle:
Both Pokémon were worn out and looking for some kind of relief. Biohazard floated, frozen, while Osiris stood poisoned with his 5 Double Team clones. But both looked determined, nonetheless.

The ref, in his car, still had the music blaring. It didn’t seem to have any effect during the last round, and neither battler seemed to mind, so he switched to a different soundtrack. It turned to the Seiken Densetsu 3 battle theme, and the ref lowered the volume just long enough to get the attacks.

T_M_L quickly called out, “Let's do this Osiris. First use a Blizzard to freeze him up a bit more and then use a Psywave. Finally, use a Metronome to mix things up and make the ref go crazy.” She smiles a little, but if she were to just look, she’d know that the ref was already crazy enough.

Quickly the ref turned to Prodigy, ready for a set of attacks. Unfortunately, he got a pep talk. “Things aren't going too well for you, are they, Biohazard? Counter Poliwrath's Blizzard with a Fire Blast, hopefully warming yourself up a bit in the process. Blizzards are going to be blasted at you from each of Poliwrath's mirror images, but only one is real - since they'll all be aimed at you, they'll probably converge as they get closer, so launch your attack as they come together.

“Now, those clones are going to make things difficult, so sweep through them with a Psywave of your own, holding yours back until Poliwrath's hits if necessary. eliminating those mirror images is a priority, so it'd be a shame if the two Psywaves just ran into each other and neutralized themselves. Finally, attack with Psybeam. We'll just have to hope that Metronome doesn't pull up anything dangerous.”

Almost asleep, the ref turned the battle music up higher and swung his arm down. The bell pierced the music and the round began.

*DING*

Biohazard, sick with the cold, quickly tried getting a Fire Blast ready. The large amount of heat inside his body successfully did what he was hoping, and the ice around his body melted and evaporated, before the remaining heat was launched out in the “big” Kanji.

Osiris had his own little problem to work out, what with the poison invading his body and all. Fortunately, he still had an easier time moving around, so calling a Blizzard forward wasn’t that hard. The widespread icy blast headed towards Biohazard and his “big” fire. The Kanji flame managed to block some of the Blizzard, and kept any from hitting Biohazard, but the flame withered and didn’t fly much farther after the storm was gone.

Osiris: HP: 18% || Fatigue: 70% — Status: poisoned; 5 clones

Biohazard: HP: 18% || Fatigue: 74% — Status: no longer frozen; tired

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-06-01.gif

Not too pleased at the fact that Biohazard managed to get by the attack, Osiris sent out a Psywave. The energy waves flowed through the air at Biohazard. Most missed, but a few lucky waves tore into Biohazard, causing him great pain.

Quickly Biohazard countered with a Psywave of his own. The waves flowed towards Osiris and his clones. Most of his clones dissolved when the waves ripped through, but Osiris himself was hit as well. The poison in his body wasn’t helping him either.

Osiris: HP: 10% || Fatigue: 77% — Status: poison is weakening; 1 clone

Biohazard: HP: 13% || Fatigue: 79% — Status: tired

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-06-02.gif

Osiris then concentrated hard. He lifted up his index fingers and started swinging them back and forth. His clone did likewise. From somewhere, a loud tick-tock started pulsing in time with his beat. Time seemed to stand still for a few seconds, before Osiris raised both hands in the air. A loud gong sounded, and from the skies a huge Thunder attack struck Biohazard.

Now in great great pain, Biohazard struggled to stay conscious and pull off his next attack. Aiming as best as he can, he shot out a huge beam of Psychic energy. The attack smacked into Osiris, knocking him down, but not out. He barely managed to hold on to his clone as he went down.

Osiris: HP: 2% || Fatigue: 82% — Status: poisoned still; 1 clone

Biohazard: HP: 4% || Fatigue: 85% — Status: slightly paralyzed; tired

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-06-03.gif

Both Pokémon eyed each other warily. The ref was about to call the end of the round, when suddenly Osiris looks sick. Turning purple, then green, he fell flat to the ground; his clone dissolved. From nowhere, a Nurse Joy and a Blissey rushed over to check on Osiris.

He had indeed fainted from poisoning. T_M_L recalled him, thinking about what Pokémon she’s going to use next as she handed his Pokéball to Joy.

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-06-04.gif

Osiris
HP: 0% || Fatigue: 100%

Biohazard
HP: 4% || Fatigue: 85%

Arena:
Nothing has changed. Period.

Osiris the Poliwrath has fainted. The_Missing_Link will choose her Pokémon, Prodigy will then choose attacks, then The_Missing_Link will choose attacks.

The_Missing_Link
8th March 2003, 03:04 PM
Wonderful job Osiris. You did incredibly well

Now I'll go with Tacoma! (female Umbreon)

Prodigy
9th March 2003, 05:04 PM
Go out blazing, Biohazard. Tacoma's defenses may help her weather the blast, but precious little she can do will allow her to escape unscathed. Not even a Protect shield can take an Explosion without faltering before the shockwaves stop coming.

Explosion

The_Missing_Link
9th March 2003, 05:12 PM
I thought as much. Well, there's not much we can do except use protect. I'm not going to chance anything so at least we can have a decent chance of winning. However, if you think you're fast enough, use quick attack. You're judgement means a lot

Protect/Quick Attack

VirtualPlay
12th March 2003, 08:07 PM
Round 07

Arena:
The arena is halfway decent at the moment. One side is completely flat, exactly as it was originally. The other side is dented with two rather wid, but shallow, craters. It also has a large sheet of ice that covers about a sixth of that side of the arena.

The_Missing_Link: Tacoma (Umbreon —F)
Protect/Quick Attack

HP: 4% ~-~ Fatigue: 85%
Explosion

Pre-Battle:
The ref turned the music off. One Pokémon was down, and that meant things were about to get a lot more interesting. T_M_L looked at her Pokébelt, before deciding on one. She threw it out, revealing Tacoma, her female Umbreon. The pure Dark Pokémon eyed the floating Koffing warily.

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-07-01.gif

Prodigy knew it was the end for Biohazard. “Go out blazing, Biohazard. Tacoma's defenses may help her weather the blast, but precious little she can do will allow her to escape unscathed. Not even a Protect shield can take an Explosion without faltering before the shockwaves stop coming.”

“I thought as much,” T_M_L said in response. “Well, there's not much we can do except use Protect. I'm not going to chance anything so at least we can have a decent chance of winning. However, if you think you're fast enough, use Quick Attack. You're judgement means a lot.”

Too busy listening to the orders, the ref didn’t notice Veon had gone silent, watching Tacoma from his spot in the car. Intent on only the battle, he simply swung his arm down.

*DING*

Tacoma quickly went over her choices. She could either Protect or use a Quick Attack. She judged her speed, but when she looked over at Biohazard, she decided against it and quickly put up a Protect screen.

For what she had seen was an inflating Biohazard. He was filling up with pure energy, ready to burst. Suddenly, with an enormous force, all of the stored energy inside him reacted, causing a tremendous Explosion. The force expanded rapidly, quickly reaching Tacoma. Fortunately for her, the full force of the explosion was half an arena away. The portion of the energy that did reach her bounced harmlessly off of her Protect screen.

As the smoke and fire cleared, Biohazard was seen laying limp in yet another crater. Prodigy recalled the Koffing, getting ready to send out another Pokémon.

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-07-02.gif

Tacoma
HP: 100% || Fatigue: 4%

Biohazard
HP: 0% || Fatigue: 100%

Arena:
Yet anoter crater has been added to the arena, this one overshadowing previous craters. The enormous heat from the explosion melted the sheet of ice and evaporated the water.

Prodigy
14th March 2003, 06:05 PM
Don't worry about it, Biohazard. Tacoma may have shielded against your Explosion, but before that happened you dispatched a fully-evolved Poliwrath and forced TML to send a Pokemon out against an uncertain foe. Of course, Umbreons don't have very exploitable weaknesses, but a solid generalist like Porygon2 can match it with ease. Intel, go!

The_Missing_Link
14th March 2003, 06:13 PM
Intel, I should've known

This is a tricky foe Tacoma, but I have faith that you can overcome it. Confuse ray immediately. Then go with a double team and finally use a psychic. If Intel tries a dark conversion before you use psychic, use a quick attack instead

Confuse Ray~Double Team~Psychic/Quick Attack

Prodigy
14th March 2003, 07:12 PM
Deploy a light Substitute and stay behind it while Tacoma sweeps the arena with Confuse Ray. Once the offensive lets up, move off to the side and dispatch Tacoma's row of mirror images with Icy Wind. Finally, reinforce your carapace with Conversion Steel.. just about everything Tacoma can throw at you will be ineffective against your metal shell.

Substitute, Icy Wind, Conversion Steel

VirtualPlay
19th March 2003, 06:20 PM
*smites BoomSpeed*

I'll get it done soon…I had no time today and BoomSpeed was messed up the past couple days…kinda hard for me to upload pics to a down server…

Prodigy
8th April 2003, 04:58 PM
Perhaps a sub-ref would be necessary until Zeratul solves whatever problems he's having?

VirtualPlay
8th April 2003, 05:29 PM
*smites inability to connect to the internet*

After about 5 days without home internet (ugh, I can't believe I survived), as well as having the new OSX Jaguar installed on my computer, I'm both feeling up to and able to ref this. I'm extremely sorry for the über-long delay, but sometimes I need a break (which is why I can't keep a job as a ref).

EDIT: I don't believe it. BoomSpeed not only deleted all the files it had stored, it's not letting me upload any more!

…well this certainly complicates things… >_<'

Prodigy
18th April 2003, 05:08 PM
Zeratul, you seem to be back enough to battle TML in another topic.. you won't forget about this, right?

VirtualPlay
18th April 2003, 08:58 PM
Actually, I've been fervently looking for free image hosting sites for the past few days…

of course, I finally found one…right under my nose.

My dad uses his .mac account's website sparingly and mostly as a mirror for a bunch of multi-MB movies. As far as we can tell, it has unlimited bandwidth transfer, and, as I've just proven with my post-editing-ness, it allows remote linking.

only problem is I have to get my dad to upload the images, so there's a "slight" delay there…

*goes to finally ref this round…after dinner* ^^'

VirtualPlay
19th April 2003, 01:02 AM
Many apologies for the lateness of this ref; quite a few factors led to this problem, one being my stubborness at needing pictures. Again, sorry, and here's your reffing…

Round 08

Arena:
The Arena has taken a lot of abuse. But still it floats, completely ignorant of the huge crater left by Biohazard’s Explosion last round. It was so large it covered up two previous craters that, at the time, seemed large. It was also hot enough to melt and evaporate the large sheet of ice that had been haunting the arena for so long.

The_Missing_Link: Tacoma (Umbreon — F)
HP: 100% ~-~ Fatigue: 4%
Confuse Ray ~^~ Double Team ~^~ Psychic/Quick Attack

Prodigy: Intel (Porygon2 — ?)
Substitute ~^~ Icy Wind ~^~ Conversion Steel

Pre-Battle:
After quite a while of Veon’s nudging, the ref finally came back with excuse after excuse. Of course, both trainers just wanted to get on with the battle, so the excuses were overlooked.

T_M_L, Tacoma, and the ref watched as Prodigy picked out his next Pokémon. With a large windup, a Pokéball was hurled onto the arena. It opened to reveal Prodigy’s Porygon2, aptly named Intel.

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-08-01.gif

“Intel, I should’ve known,” T_M_L immediately identified Prodigy’s choice. “This is a tricky foe Tacoma, but I have faith that you can overcome it. Confuse Ray immediately. Then go with a Double Team and finally use a Psychic. If Intel tries a Dark conversion before you use Psychic, use a Quick Attack instead.”

Of course, Prodigy came back with a good countering moveset. “Deploy a light Substitute and stay behind it while Tacoma sweeps the arena with Confuse Ray. Once the offensive lets up, move off to the side and dispatch Tacoma's row of mirror images with Icy Wind. Finally, reinforce your carapace with Conversion Steel.. just about everything Tacoma can throw at you will be ineffective against your metal shell.”

Stretching a bit, the ref simply started the round. No flourish whatsoever, just a loud:

*DING*

Tacoma started off by staring her opponent down, focusing on those blank eyes. Then she suddenly made her rings glow brighter, releasing a barrage of rays intent on confusing the cyber Pokémon. They hit, boring into the head of Intel. But it showed no sign of being confused.

Of course, that’s because Intel had already sneakily created a Substitute. The blank eyes were that of a carbon copy Porygon2, even though Intel was composed of mere data, and no carbon. But thinking this hard makes the ref’s head hurt…

Tacoma: HP: 100% || Fatigue: 7% — Status: annoyed

Intel: HP: 83% || Fatigue: 5% — Status: fine
Substitute: 17% — Status: fine

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-08-02.gif

Giving up, Tacoma concentrated on herself instead. Soon, her body began splitting apart, multiplying until she had about 5 Double Team clones. Lacking substance, they were mere images intent on fooling Intel.

Of course, Intel wasn’t very happy about seeing far more than double. Popping out of its “concealment” Intel quickly summoned a gust of Icy Wind. The wind tore towards Tacoma as she hurried to spread her clones out. Unfortunately for her, three clones disintegrated from the blast, although she, herself, was not hit.

Tacoma: HP: 100% || Fatigue: 11% — Status: 2 clones

Intel: HP: 83% || Fatigue: 8% — Status: fine
Substitute: 17% — Status: fine

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-08-03.gif

Intel knew how to get the advantage easily: Conversion. Concentrating hard, Intel rearranged a few bytes here and there within its own code and felt the outer shell of its body become hard like Steel. Unfortunately, it couldn’t change the data structure of its Substitute, but then again, nothing ever really goes perfectly right.

Tacoma, meanwhile, had clustered her clones together. She, of course, failed to see the type change in Intel, and therefore went on to attack with Psychic. Mustering up what little Psychic abilities a Dark Pokémon could have, Tacoma launched a blast of Psychic at the substitute. The carbon copy buckled under the attack, but regained its composition.

Tacoma: HP: 100% || Fatigue: 15% — Status: 2 clones, a little tired

Intel: HP: 83% || Fatigue: 12% — Status: Steel Type
Substitute: 9% — Status: fine

http://homepage.mac.com/puder/vp/ref_pics/ref-01-08-04.gif

Tacoma stares down the Intel Substitute, but it’s no contest. The blank eyes refused to look away, leading to a very long stand-off.

Tacoma
HP: 100% || Fatigue: 15%

Intel
HP: 83% || Fatigue: 12%
Substitute: 9% — Status: fine

Arena:
For once, it seems, none of the attacks have had any effect on the arena. The Icy Wind merely blew away, and nothing else could have possibly done anything to the arena. The large crater still stands as it was, though.

Prodigy
19th April 2003, 12:26 PM
Okay, Intel. Take out those clones with a Blizzard, then move in and splatter Tacoma with Toxic. She'll either deal with it somehow and lose an action of initiative on defense, or she'll take the hit and pay the price later. End the round with Sharpen, either way.

Blizzard, Toxic, Sharpen

The_Missing_Link
25th April 2003, 10:55 AM
You know, defense can always be a good thing. Lets the opponent waste energy

Tacoma-Right!

And with that, use a sunny day to let that blizzard fail miserably. Then use a widespread double team. Make sure you guys are spread out well. Finally, confuse ray

Sunny Day~Double Team~Confuse Ray

The_Missing_Link
6th May 2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I think this is pretty bump worthy

*bumps*

Charizard04621
12th May 2003, 04:26 PM
Unlike Zeratul, I'm too lazy to spend time on making every reffing a piece of artwork. You'll have to cope with simple text and a lack of decoration. Sorry, your sub-referee's a slacker. ^_-

Tacoma: 100%, 2 clones, fatigue(15%)
Intel: 83%, Substitute(9%), currently a Steel type, fatigue(12%)

Round 9

As Tacoma looks to the skies, calling forth the warm, golden rays for comfort, Intel blasts the three Umbreon before him with an arctic storm, ripping the remaining two images into shreds... Tacoma herself grits her teeth, shivering, glad that she's pushed the clouds out of the sky so that the sun can shine upon her. The sun doesn't actually burn any hotter, but with the clouds gone, Tacoma finds it easier to bathe in the precious sunlight... She feels better much sooner.

Just when Intel is ready to splash his opponent with terrible venom, he sees her split into three, much to his irritation. He chooses one and fires, cackling in satisfaction when it does not fizzle and disappear. Tacoma growls. This isn't the right time for luck to turn against her. On the other hand, she's at an advantage; as soon as she begins to move around, Intel will have absolutely no idea which Umbreon she is.

Unfortunately for Tacoma, she does not realize that her wall of light will never reach the real Intel, who sits safely away from his body double, rearranging his data to turn his already pointed proboscis into a deadly lance. The Porygon2 duplicate begins to make whining noises and act in a strange manner, convincing Tacoma that her plan has worked absolutely perfectly.

Tacoma: 91%, two mirror images, badly poisoned, fatigue(26%)
Intel: 83%, Substitute(9%), currently a Steel type, has a sharpened proboscis, fatigue(26%)

The_Missing_Link
14th May 2003, 06:01 PM
Shouldn't Tacoma be poisoned?

Ok, good work Tacoma. Now, use another double team and then use faint attack x2 to kill the sub and avoid any nasty attacks by Intel

Double Team~Faint Attack x2

Prodigy
15th May 2003, 05:16 PM
Wash the illusions away with Rain Dance and Sharpen your tip into a deadly steel spear. Allow the Umbreon to come to you and gore her with your Double-Edge when she appears. An attempt will be made to strike at you, but have no fear, your Substitute shall shield you from harm, and your armor will withstand all but the most vicious of blows.

Rain Dance, Sharpen, Double-Edge

Charizard04621
18th May 2003, 08:43 AM
Right. Feel free to search for a reliable sub-referee while I'm gone in June.

Tacoma: 91%, two mirror images, badly poisoned, fatigue(26%)
Intel: 83%, Substitute(9%), currently a Steel type, has a sharpened proboscis, fatigue(26%)

Round 10

Lightning flashes in the distance as thick, gray clouds swirl menacingly in the sky. They moan with the same low rumble, voicing the threat to burst and let forth the relentless fury of a storm... A light drizzle comes first, but in moments, it escalates to the heavy crashing of singing rain against the arena floor, and Tacoma grits her teeth as her newly formed mirror images fizzle away into the darkness.

Intel works to improve his deadly proboscis some more, making it sharper than it already is, with a finer, more treacherous point... Tacoma, oblivious to this, disappears into the shadows, and reveals herself behind Intel's body double as she claws and scrapes away at it... Her opponent pays her no heed.

As Intel watches carefully, preparing at any moment to launch himself and strike, Tacoma disappears! He tries not to panic, and waits... Soon enough, she shows up again, gently exuding dark energy from her body. But just as Intel's duplicate gets crushed under her relentless assault, the Umbreon sees, with horror, the real Intel charging at her... Shock overcomes her as pain shoots through her body, and quivers with sickened realization when she sees the rain wash away the blood on Intel's terrible weapon...

Tacoma: 63%, bleeding, badly poisoned, fatigue(33%)
Intel: 83%, currently a Steel type, has a dangerously sharpened proboscis, fatigue(40%)

Prodigy
20th May 2003, 05:03 PM
Continue to punish her, Intel. Fire Swifts into her open wound, and spear her again with Double-Edge if she gets too close or tries to heal herself.

Swift, Swift, Swift
Double-Edge if Tacoma comes within range or tries to recover

The_Missing_Link
20th May 2003, 05:12 PM
Alright Tacoma. This may be a bit risky but I want you to use zap cannon. If we can get Intel to be paralyzed, we have a good chance of coming back. Now, use it until it works and if you have any open chances left, use psychic to throw him across the arena. It may be tough due to his tough steel exterior but he's not safe from everything

Zap Cannon~Zap Cannon/Psychic~Zap Cannon/Psychic

Charizard04621
20th May 2003, 08:28 PM
Tacoma: 63%, bleeding, badly poisoned, fatigue(33%)
Intel: 83%, currently a Steel type, has a dangerously sharpened proboscis, fatigue(40%)

Round 11

Bleeding can stop, but only if it is allowed to remain in peace... Intel aggravates Tacoma's wounds further with numerous sharp star pieces; the Umbreon flinches, but forces herself to continue. She sends a highly-charged orb of greenish-golden energy spinning towards Intel, who does not notice until it is too late... He feels himself twitch, signs that his body may not cooperate with him in the future.

Indeed, the predictions of the bad omen almost immediately take place. Intel jerks suddenly, then falls into a violent muscle spasm, unable to respond when Tacoma mentally lifts him into the air and drops him. She does not do so without difficulty; for the Porygon2 is heavy with his steel carapace. But his weight works against him as he falls to the ground with a loud clang: much cause for pain and discomfort.

By this time Intel regains control and resumes pummeling Tacoma's open wound with multiple shurikens... She shrieks, for the cuts that they make open up significantly the wound that was not as large before. Blood creeps out in larger amounts, and Tacoma can feel her insides burning... But the Umbreon wills herself to go on. Once again she seizes Intel with her psionic grip, this time pushing him down along with gravity with considerable force. His metallic armor clanks against the platform, sparking as it strikes.

Tacoma: 35%, bleeding, badly poisoned, fatigue(53%)
Intel: 49%, currently a Steel type, has a dangerously sharpened proboscis, paralyzed, fatigue(46%)

The_Missing_Link
20th May 2003, 08:38 PM
Ok, double team for protection then a mud slap then psychic

Double Team~Mud Slap~Psychic

If he tries to get you with his proboscis, evade any way you think is fit

Charizard04621
26th May 2003, 07:14 PM
Jason? Erm, wanna post? ^_^;

The_Missing_Link
26th May 2003, 07:49 PM
hmm, went past DQ. Well, if there's no response by 8:01 AM EST tomorrow, I win. I'm not going to be easy with the DQ

The_Missing_Link
27th May 2003, 02:00 PM
I gave you a week and still nothing. Therefore, I win by DQ but as always, I won't take a catch/evolve if I don't finish a battle

Prodigy
27th May 2003, 04:05 PM
Gah, sorry. I don't have an excuse.. a mix of forgetfulness and procastination, I guess. I understand your reasoning and it's not like you weren't fairly liberal with the DQ extension.

If you'd like a rematch sometime, though, I'll try to be better about it.