PDA

View Full Version : Help with Kaya

Kris
17th May 2004, 04:11 PM
O.K Kaya is the name of my fic, and it is told through the eyes of Kaya.

For tyhe next chapter I need to change this as it needs to be told through anothetr characters eyes, or just told (not by anyone in particular).

How do you reccomend I do this?

At the moment if another character is thinking I show it in italics.

Could I do the whole chapter in Italic?

Please help!

Heald
17th May 2004, 04:19 PM
Do it from a first-person perspective. For emphasis that it is not Kaya, mention Kaya in the third-person and have your character call himself/herself his/her name i.e. Me? I'll just plain old Wedge Antilles.

mr_pikachu
18th May 2004, 12:46 AM
Well, there are many different ways to do it. Frankly, the final choice will have to be up to you. You must decide, as a writer, what works best for your style and your fic. All I can offer are suggestions.

Okay... since you already have a method of telling the story through others, the whole-chapter-in-italics might be a viable option. It will probably look a little odd, but sometimes when you're writing a fic, you have to make do with things that don't look perfect.

Another option would be to direct the reader to understanding that a different character is speaking at the start. For instance, you could begin with something like, "KAYA!!" I screamed, tearing through the crowd of people now congregating at the water's edge. (Obviously, if you were to tell the story this way, it wouldn't be in italics. I just did that to separate it from the rest of the text.)

Then again, you could switch to a third-person view, though that might be rather difficult to pull off. (Firstly, it's probably grammatically incorrect to change from first-person to third-person in that manner. Secondly, it'll likely confuse your readers.) You could start with a sentence that names BOTH characters, so the reader can hope to understand that neither character is telling the story. This might be something like, James screamed for Kaya once more, trying to rip himself away from the grip of the police officers who were now restraining him. (Again, you probably wouldn't use italics here.)

The final option that I can think of is to just tell it from Kaya's perspective. While that would be the least confusing, it might not work well, given the situation Kaya's in right now. The suspense would probably be cut down a bit (unless you did a really good job with continuing to show Kaya's peril), but that may not be such a bad price to pay to maintain clarity.

Again, I can't make the decision for you; all I can do is offer possible methods. It is up to you, as the author, to decide what is the best course of action to take. Good luck in finding the appropriate solution. :wave: