PDA

View Full Version : Safari Zone

Darien Shields
1st June 2004, 02:03 PM
I hate this place... but I need a Chansey, Scyther and Kangaskhan, so, I don't have a choice.

I need to know how the Safari Zone works, so far, whenever faced with one of the three rare pokemon above, I choked and just decided to pelt it with pokeballs (which didn't work.) I've tried the odd bait and rock, but never to much avail.

This is my understanding of the mechanism: Bait make a pokemon less likely to run, Rocks make them easier to capture, but more likely to run away. I just want to know the numbers, how many rocks is it worth throwing before they're redundant/detramental?

Thanks.

Edit: I just encountered two Scyther.

First one, I threw a ball, it failed. I threw some bait, it ran away.

Second one, I threw some bait, it fled immediately.

So much for the "Bait makes them less likely to run" theory.

rinku
1st June 2004, 06:05 PM
It's all a matter of probabilities, not certainties. From memory, you're probably better just chucking balls and taking your chances. Don't be put off by a few failures - keep plugging away and you'll get there.

phaedrus
1st June 2004, 06:19 PM
if youre low on cash, save before goin' in

that way you don't waste money if you fail.

Amethyst Flygon
1st June 2004, 07:16 PM
If I recall correctly, if you can't afford to enter the Safari Zone the guy will give you a single pokeball. I may have this confused with something else, but if I am right you can always go there while low on cash.

Dark Scizor
1st June 2004, 09:18 PM
Do what has been mentioned above, or sit in the required patch of grass and face different directions like left, up, right, down then repeat. This may take time if your cautious and don't want to move, but if you move your d-pad in a circular motion i think you should be able to encounter enemies without taking a step off the counter, but i am not sure.

Darien Shields
1st June 2004, 09:24 PM
I think I can make the entrance fee of 500 Pokedollars, thanks (that's the price of two and a half pokeballs, I'd have to be in dire straights not to afford it!) And if I did want to perpetuate my time in the zone, I'd get another Sweet Senter, but I'm fine with spending large amounts of cash... all I want to know...

IS HOW THE BLOODY ZONE WORKS

If someone who knows the calculations involving the rocks and bait, I'd appreciate hearing them, and if anyone else has any insight into things, other than scimping on my Safari Zone bill, I would appreciate hearing it.

P.S. By luck I caught a Dratini a little while ago, fishing in the Zone. It was surprisingly easy, I wonder if I was lucky, or it's easier than the rare land-based pokemon.

Don't Run With Scizors
2nd June 2004, 01:56 AM
Dratini does seem to be a lot easier to catch than some of the rare land ones. Then again, I was only playing a copy of Fire Red for about fifteen minutes, then I had to give it back to Meowth346 so we could trade a few Pokemon.

Anyway, I did a search over at the Azure Heights forum, and Meowth346 posted the formula - for RBY. It may, however, apply to FRLG as well. It works like this:

You start out with the Pokemon's capture rate number - this is the base number for a particular species. It gets modified in the regular Pokeball formula because it gets multiplied by the difference in HP and status effect bonuses and whatnot, but in the Safari Zone, when you first encounter a Pokemon, your chances of catching this Pokemon on the first try is equivalent to this number divided by 255.

Chansey's base capture rate number is 30, so when you first encounter a Chansey your chances of capturing it with a single Safari Ball is 30/255, or roughly 11.7%.

Throwing a Rock doubles the base capture number, and throwing bait halves the number. This can be done repeatedly, and each time the total number is doubled/halved, not just the capture rate. For example:

30 at start
60 with Rock
120 with another rock
60 with Bait
30 with another Bait
15 with another Bait
30 with Rock
60 with etc...

I don't know how much rocks\bait affect a Pokemon's chance of running away. I've heard it's based on Speed...

Darien Shields
2nd June 2004, 10:22 AM
Thank You, that is really helpful.

Do you know where I could find these stats? They don't seem to be on Pokemon Forever... I'll just endeavour reguardless... Each Rock doubles your chances -each bait halves them. Three Rocks and a Chansey's practically a sure thing...

Number1ChanseyFan
2nd June 2004, 12:00 PM
I hate this place...

Me too!! I would not have been upset if the Safari Zone was left out of Fire Red/Leaf Green. I remember the torture that the Safari Zone put me through in R/B/Y.

Anyways, here is the base catch rate of all of the Pokémon that you can find in the Safari Zone.

Pokémon Found by fishing with a Good Rod:

Goldeen: 225/255 (88.23% chance)
Poliwag: 255/255 (100% chance)
Magikarp: 255/255 (100% chance)

Pokémon found by fishing with a Super Rod:

Seaking: 60/255 (23.53% chance)
Dratini: 45/255 (17.65% chance)
Dragonair: 45/255 (17.65% chance)
Psyduck: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Slowpoke: 190/255 (74.51% chance)

Pokémon Found in Area 1:

Parasect: 75/255 (29.41% chance)
Rhyhorn: 120/255 (47.06% chance)
Exeggcute: 90/255 (35.29% chance)
Nidoran(F): 235/255 (92.16% chance)
Nidoran(M): 235/255 (92.16% chance)
Nidorina: 120/255 (47.06% chance)
Nidorino: 120/255 (47.06% chance)
Venonat: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Chansey: 30/255 (11.76% chance)

Pokémon found in Area 2

Parasect: 75/255 (29.42% chance)
Paras: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Doduo: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Pinsir: 45/255 (17.65% chance)
Scyther: 45/255 (17.65% chance)
Kangaskhan: 45/255 (17.65% chance)

Pokémon found in Area 3

Rhyhorn: 120/255 (47.06% chance)
Paras: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Chansey: 30/255 (11.76% chance)
Venomoth: 75/255 (29.41% chance)
Tauros: 45/255 (17.65% chance)

Pokémon found in Area 4

Venomoth: 75/255 (29.41% chance)
Venonat: 190/255 (74.51% chance)
Doduo: 190/255 (74.51 % chance)

Chris 2.1
2nd June 2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry, did I hear correctly? Can Sweet Scent be used in the Safari Zone? Well that's brilliant!

If not: Bummer :/

Amethyst Flygon
3rd June 2004, 02:04 PM
Sorry, did I hear correctly? Can Sweet Scent be used in the Safari Zone? Well that's brilliant!

If not: Bummer :/

I believe that it can be used. I don't know from RBY (didn't exist), but it was usable in that bug-catching contest in GSC. If it worked in that, I believe it could be used in the Safari Zone as well.

Poryhedron
3rd June 2004, 02:17 PM
I believe that it can be used. I don't know from RBY (didn't exist), but it was usable in that bug-catching contest in GSC. If it worked in that, I believe it could be used in the Safari Zone as well.
Well, don't forget that the Bug-Catching Tournament ended after 20 minutes, not any particular number of steps. So Sweet Scent would not allow you to find bugs all day.
...besides, I'm kinda wary of spending all day in the Bug-Catching Tournament. You aren't allowed to access your pack...this was done so you couldn't artificially beef up your catch, but it also means you can't heal your battler, and some of the bugs in there can poison you...

Darien Shields
3rd June 2004, 04:30 PM
Since OOB techniques like surf are usable in the Safari Zone I believe Sweet Scent will be also. Sadly I deleted it off my Gloom (grah! that wasn't supposed to evolve yet!) and so can't check. That said, is it really neccesary? The Safarii zone's extremely inexpensive, apart from the inconvenience of being kicked out, and not being able to save, I don't see why you'd need to perpetuate one trip. Cheap Skates.

Number1ChanseyFan
3rd June 2004, 05:55 PM
No, Sweet Scent isn't really necessary, it just may be slightly more convenient. There is another thing that you can do if you don't want to use up steps in the Safari Zone, but it takes more time then Sweet Scent. You can always stand in one place, and lightly tap a direction button, so that your character changes the direction that he/she is facing, but he/she doesn't actually take a step. You can still encounter wild Pokémon while changing directions, but it won't count against total steps. Personally, as cheap as the Safari Zone is, I would just wander around until my steps were out, and then go back in until I get everything that I want.

On a side note: Can anybody imagine how incredibly hard it may be to get a Lucky Egg in FR/LG?! In FR/LG, like G/S/C, the only way to get a Lucky Egg is from a Wild Chansey. I don't know how commonly Chansey are holding Lucky Eggs in FR/LG, but it is probably the same as it was in G/S/C. (1.5% chance or 1 in 67) Anyways, if the only way to get Lucky Eggs are from wild Chansey, and only 1 in 67 Chansey are holding Lucky Eggs, and Chansey only have about a 1 in 20 chance of appearing, plus the fact that they can also run away from you like all of the other Safari Zone Pokémon... A Lucky Egg may be harder to obtain legally then a shiny Pokémon!!

TeleFox
3rd June 2004, 08:31 PM
...besides, I'm kinda wary of spending all day in the Bug-Catching Tournament. You aren't allowed to access your pack...this was done so you couldn't artificially beef up your catch, but it also means you can't heal your battler, and some of the bugs in there can poison you...

You can get around the no-pack-access rule in some cases by going into 'Pokémon' and selecting your battler, then using the 'Item' command to give it stuff. You can't use Antidote or Potion or anything like that, but you can still give them some nifty berries to cure status, HP or PP loss. Makes life a lot easier if you're poisoned, or if you need to spend a lot of time finding a specific Pokémon to catch.

Darien Shields
3rd June 2004, 08:46 PM
Dark Scizor already mentioned the direction thing, and I said then, I don't think the Safarii Zone is worth dodging.

And the Lucky Egg is now 5%, or 1 in 20. You're most likely to get a Chansey in area 2, 4%, that's what, 0.2% chance? One in five hundred encounters is a Chansey with the Lucky Egg... And your chances of catching are 30/255? (assuming you throw one pokeball, and it runs) Making your grand total, 0.0235% (I have a calculator on hand, BTW), chance of encountering and catching a Chansey with a Lucky Egg. That's, what, 1 in 5000 encounters, roughly? A little less than a shiny, I believe (more like 1 in 8000.)

Can you still get the sort of fixed input devices? They basicly repeat a bunch of instructions (like what to do in FF VI when you've got Banon on the raft, so that he keeps using Health, and you never die, and get gobs of EXP by leaving it on over night...) when left to their own devices. If you could somehow rig one of these to work with pokemon (it'd basicly ball anything it encounters, I suppose), you'd end up with (an empty wallet, and a lot of excess pokemon) some rares/shinies, without wasting your time...

WingullTrainer
5th June 2004, 06:09 PM
actually, if you can still buy Scyther as a game prize, I'll just save up My coins for that. don't have much use for tauros, but marowak is a decent ground battler.

Darien Shields
5th June 2004, 06:12 PM
Marowak? I don't think I've ever seen that in th Zone.

And as to the buying Scyther, well, a) I want Porygon, no time to waste on Scythe, and b) I think it might be Pinsir in some games... I'm not sure, I can't remember how this worked. I don't recall ever seeing a Pinsir there either though. But it's all for the Dex anyway.

Poryhedron
5th June 2004, 07:44 PM
Marowak? I don't think I've ever seen that in th Zone.

And as to the buying Scyther, well, a) I want Porygon, no time to waste on Scythe, and b) I think it might be Pinsir in some games... I'm not sure, I can't remember how this worked. I don't recall ever seeing a Pinsir there either though. But it's all for the Dex anyway.

Different pokémon can be found in different games. Scyther was in the Safari Zone, and available as a Game Corner prize, in the original Red Version. In the original Blue, Pinsir replaced it in both places. Cubone and Marowak were in the Yellow Version Safari Zone.

Number1ChanseyFan
6th June 2004, 12:22 PM
Here are the things that you can get at the Game Corner in Celadon City in Fire Red/Leaf Green. :)

Smoke Ball: 800 Game Coins
Miracle Seed: 1000 Game Coins
Charcoal: 1000 Game Coins
Mystic Water: 1000 Game Coins
Yellow Flute: 1500 Game Coins

Abra: 120 Game Coins
Clefairy: 750 Game Coins
Pinsir: 2500 Game Coins (Leaf Green only)
Scyther: 2500 Game Coins (Fire Red only)
Dratini: 4600 Game Coins
Porygon: 6500 Game Coins

TM13-Ice Beam: 4000 Game Coins
TM23-Iron Tail: 3500 Game Coins
TM24-Thunderbolt: 4000 Game Coins
TM30-Shadow Ball: 4500 Game Coins
TM35-Flamethrower: 4000 Game Coins

Rabid_Cow
6th June 2004, 02:17 PM
2 things, both of which are kind of off topic, but whatever:

1. What was the Lucky Egg chance in GSC? I got one after 3 Chanseys, and it was awesome! I raised all my good pokes to lvl 100 usin it!

2. What is the Lucky Punch item? I've heard it's only useful on Chansey/Blissey and it raises their attacks, but this is all hearsay from my friend. Is there such an item, and if so what does it do?

Sweet, Shadow Ball is obtainable in Game Corner. Nice!

Poryhedron
6th June 2004, 03:12 PM
There is definitely such an item, and it only helps Chansey...it might also help Blissey, but I can't say for certain. I seem to remember it boosting their crit rate...

Number1ChanseyFan
6th June 2004, 06:19 PM
In G/S/C, the chance of a Chansey holding a Lucky Egg was 1.5%, or about 1 in 67. You were really lucky to get a Lucky Egg after only 3 Chansey. In my Gold game, I accidentally deleted Thief from my Pokémon, so when I went to get a Lucky Egg, I had to catch Chansey, and then check and see if they were holding a Lucky Egg. It took forever for me, I had to catch 69 Chansey before I got a Lucky Egg. lol

As for the Lucky Punch, you could get a Lucky Punch by trading a Chansey from R/B/Y to G/S/C. When the Chansey would be traded to G/S/C, it would be holding a Lucky Punch. The Lucky Punch only increased the chance of Chansey getting a critical hit, it did nothing if any other Pokémon held it, including Blissey. Even if Lucky Punch would have had an effect on Blissey, it still wouldn't have been useful, Leftovers are much more useful on Blissey, especially because she has a ton of HP.

Yeah, I think that it is cool that Shadow Ball is a TM at the Game Corner, so you can get as many as you want now.

Darien Shields
8th June 2004, 02:25 PM
While I think Attract or the "turn quickly!" thing are a bit OTT, I do think that trading in a pokemon with Illuminate (Chinchou, Volbeat, etc.) or a White Flute if you had one would be worthwhile. For those who don't know, these up your encounter rate (Illuminate works if the pokemon is in lead position in the party), which would mean you fight more pokemon in the Safarii Zone. Sure, you could potentially fight transfinite battles with the afore mentioned methods, but I, personally, would go insane if I didn't have something to gauge how long I'd been repeating this accursed task.