PDA

View Full Version : Forum text encoding (testing)

mistysakura
2nd June 2004, 05:53 AM
Interestingly enough, I think the forum settings have been changed again... I've had a complaint about fanfics being ruined. For example, "as the sun�s morning rays" and "pok�mon". Any ideas?

Little_Pikachu
2nd June 2004, 08:23 AM
I don't know what's up with that :\ Is it the same thing as before, Chris?

Chris
3rd June 2004, 04:50 AM
It can't be, because the character set in use is still ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1).

The only thing I can think of is that the authors of the affected post(s) are submitting posts with a different character set to Latin-1, therefore causing differences between characters when posts are read by other people who are using Latin-1...

Aipom Of Doom
3rd June 2004, 05:31 AM
It can't be, because the character set in use is still ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1).

The only thing I can think of is that the authors of the affected post(s) are submitting posts with a different character set to Latin-1, therefore causing differences between characters when posts are read by other people who are using Latin-1...

Couldn't it have just changed and had been changed back already? Last time I don't think that the changing it back fixed anything since all of the special characters and smart quotes were screwed up.

I suppose that if this is going to become a regular event, people should be encouraged not to use smart quotes and é's and things in their posts :o.

Lady Vulpix
3rd June 2004, 10:48 AM
Special versions of ', " and ... are the characters that change the most.