PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What do you mean I'm shallow?!

Zak
2nd June 2004, 08:55 PM
So... what do you guys look for in the opposite sex (or whatever you're attracted to, to include the gay members)?

Me? I look for the following:

-Must be hyper (of course as in open-minded, funny, etc. Oddly enough this is among my top three).

-Has a lot in common with me.

-Must not be full of herself (yes, I can't stand girls that think they're cool cause they dated lots of guys).

-Someone I can trust.

-Someone I have known for at least a couple months.

-Between 14-18.

-And of course, I know looks don't really matter, but it would be nice if they had some sort of physical attraction.

~Zak

nightcrow
2nd June 2004, 09:11 PM
originality++

1. he has to be attractive. no i won't say looks don't matter, because they do.
2. he has to have a few brain cells.
3. he has to be able to understand my problems.
4. we have to be able to communicate well.

yeah that's probably it, i'm not too picky :)

phaedrus
2nd June 2004, 10:28 PM
hot, funny, smart, honest

the four truths of attraction to the opposite sex

Agent Elrond
3rd June 2004, 04:14 PM
Well, he/she would have to be:

1: Not human.

2: Furry.

3: Have four legs, and a tail.

4: Good conformation, good hooves, preferably green broke at least, and a good temperment.

Yeah, I married my horse. (Well, not literally, but it leaves 0 time in my life for boys.

That and the fact that I also have a serious relationship with my mountain bike....

>.> What?

Angel Blossom
3rd June 2004, 04:23 PM
This is a nice poll, Zak. ^_^
Even though a guy can't always be this way (things would get boring), these are the main things I look for. Luckily, I have a boyfriend who is a nice guy.. practically everything I could want. Some people hate him, but quite frankly, I don't care about those some people.

- Someone who is honest. I hate men who sugarcoat. X-x

- Someone who won't be all over me most of the time. I do appreciate it when they talk, listen, compliment, etc.. but it becomes awkward when it is done too much.

- Not obsessed. I'm not into guys who are so into something, whether it be LoTR, Star Trek, or Beanie Babies. Not at all. o_o

- Someone who has a few different interests than I. Its nice to learn something new, and this way you can learn more about them. If we both had the same taste, the relationship would be so dull! Though its always nice to have atleast a -few- similarities too. ^^

- A guy who isn't in love with himself. That is just so lame.

- I know I said I like to have differences, but I CANNOT understand or be with a guy who dresses, acts, and listens to music that is "Ghetto".

- Has to have something attractive about him, whether its his eyes or the way he acts.

- Someone who won't hate someone just because I do. Seriously, I consider men who are like that to be... well, let's just say that they are not true men.. they don't have the balls to stand up for their own thoughts & feelings. =P

- He HAS to be funny! Whether he's dirty-funny or simply witty, the humour needs to be there.

Gengachu
3rd June 2004, 04:24 PM
I think the main things I want are mutual understanding and companionship. Shared interests are a plus, but it's not at all necessary if she can accept mine and I can accept hers. That's really about it.

Kris
3rd June 2004, 05:05 PM
That and the fact that I also have a serious relationship with my mountain bike....

>.> What?

Know the feeling, my ski's are my babies. I am completely in love with them.

O.K, he must.....

Be good looking (I wouldnt go out with a freak) I nkow its harsh but I wouldnt make an effort to know them if they were REALLY REALLY bad.

This is a hard one but I like them to be able to ski or snowboard, so we can do it together. You all knwo how obsessed I am with the damn sports so I need someone who can share that love.

Compliments me. I have very low self asteem, and its nice to be told good things every now and then.

Easy to talk to, can tell them everything about me and they wont laugh or tell anyone. So trust is needed aswell.

Wont cheat on me. I cannot stand this in a guy, even if their honest about it. Sopmething I cannot stand for is cheating!

Jay Umbreon
5th June 2004, 10:07 AM
Hi kids.

Well firstly, she has to be somewhat attractive - I can't deny that looks are important. Next, she has to be fairly intelligent and well read. Then, she needs to have a weird sense of humour(to keep up with my sllightly mad stories and jokes), and then, she needs to be sensitive and emotionally expressive (but not so much so that she will be touchy touchy). Friends of my partner would also be important, so that she isn't constantly attached to me at the hip, and that she too has her own mind and other interests. Someone that is determined and has personal goals would also be nice.

'bout it.

~Jay

Crystal Mew
5th June 2004, 12:36 PM
Heh, nice poll Zak

Hmm..He must be:

~*fun to be with. I mean, who wants to be with someone dull?

~* cute...hot. yep...call me shallow, but hey, most teenagers are :yes:

~* have a sense of humor...hehe, I like boys who can make me laugh, and tell jokes and stuff

~* They have to be smart

~* true... I don't like guys who act one way around me, then around a group of friends he's way different ;x

~* Nice...and not controlling. I really don't want a bf that tells me what I can/can't do :rolleyes:

and thats about it =O

kainashi
5th June 2004, 01:17 PM
hmm... here's what i look for, i guess;

1. funny, has to have a good(weird) sense of humor. has to be able to deal with my sarcasm and stuff. @_@ my last g/f didn't, lol.
2. has to be smart, can't be a complete airhead and stuff because that's just annoying.
3. communicate well, that's always a good one.
4. honesty.
5. someone who is not obsessive. i like to do my own thing most of the time and she would need to realize that.
6. someone who is not fake. i guess that could be with honesty too but i'd like for her to be the same with me alone or with me and my friends. *shrug*
7. sensitive and emotionally expressive, like jay said, would be nice too.
8. good looks. looks don't matter as much as these others though. always a nice bonus.
9. have to at least share a few of the same interests. i can't go out with someone that doesn't.

i guess that's about it. *shrug*

Brain
5th June 2004, 03:19 PM
1) female
2) willing
3) legal

In that order.

Tainted
5th June 2004, 05:04 PM
No one can tell me that looks don't matter, just to try and seem like you're not shallow. So, you'd pork some 500 pound whale, then-- because, well, looks don't matter.

Bullshit. The only reason fat people get laid, because there's always a guy as equally horny as she is fat. That doesn't make them better for "not being shallow", because they're still shallow, just they can't get any better.

The key point here is that everyone is shallow, because no one is going to base a relationship off of personality. I agree that personality plays a factor, but no matter how much personality you've got, a pretty face will always get the wang.

So, saying that you don't care about looks just means you have low self-esteem and know that you can't get "the cake" when it comes to women. Which, in turn, does not make you any less shallow, just lets everyone know that it doesn't matter what they look like, you'll bone them anyway.

Yeah-- oh, and don't wear belly-tops if you're fat... cover up, jesus.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Angel Blossom
5th June 2004, 05:28 PM
Actually, Skullfire, some people don't care about looks. You have a really shallow view of the world, don't you? O_o I know a few guys who go out with girls who aren't exactly the prettiest girls you'll meet, but they are sweet, caring, funny people. Just because a lot of people do lie about looks not being important, doesn't mean that everyone does.

I also find it quite odd that people who used to say "looks don't matter" now say that they do. Funny how things change, eh? =P

I, personally, don't care about how a guy looks as long as they aren't sadly deformed. I usually feel bad for anyone who is.. and I know I wouldn't be able to go out with a guy who I feel bad for. They are nice to have, but looks do NOT last forever, so what's the point? I'd rather go out with an ugly, fat guy than a handsome jock who's an idiotic ass. Just because I feel that way, it doesn't mean that I have a low self-esteem and that I aim for 'low' goals, etc. It just has no relevance to me. ^^;

Note: I do agree with you about those who lie, saying that looks aren't important. We have an obvious proof of that lie here at this board, by the change of some members answers to whether or not looks are important. Also, being shallow can also be liking someone for their high position in society ($$$) and other things that are considered nice to have,

Gothic Animé
5th June 2004, 07:13 PM
Just a question to you, Angel Blossom, about your post way up yonder. What's so wrong with guys who act 'ghetto'? What about those people from the ghetto who have no other way to act or dress?

Anyway.....

The person I like has to be kind of smart. I don't want to have a conversation where something goes WAY over her head all the time.

Has to be at least slightly attractive. To almost everyone, looks matter. Even if they won't admit it. Though I won't say everyone.

Not a ****, someone who has gone out with 1,000,000 other guys and figures they'll just go out with me next.

Someone who is good at talking, because then I don't have to be afraid that I'm talking to much. And lastly, they have to be pretty much dead honest. It's better than lying and blowing up in the end about a problem with me that they wouldn't admit! :mad:

^Sorry, bad friend experiences.....

Oh and, thanks for the visuals Skullfire. ^^; Haha.

Razola
5th June 2004, 07:38 PM
Hot, smart, sane. Pick two.

I go with hot and smart.

EDIT: Skullfire brings up a good point. Why do fat chicks try to dress sexy? I never see fat guys run around with no shirts on (sometimes even covering up more so than other people).

The_Missing_Link
5th June 2004, 07:57 PM
No one ever finds the perfect person since they always have little quirks but if I could find the guy with my list, I would be a very happy girl

- Has to make me laugh. The most important characteristic on my list

- Tall and lanky. I don't know why I like these kinds of guys but I just do. This isn't a requirement though

- Not controlling. Every guy is going to look at a girl and vice versa and I don't want a boyfriend that is going to assume I'm cheating on him everytime I look at a guy. It could also lead to abuse of many kinds

- Complete honesty. If he cheats once and the situation isn't right, out the door he goes

- If a guy is sympathetic towards others, that's a definite check on my list

- Knows when he's wrong and will admit it (that includes getting lost on the road)

Tainted
5th June 2004, 08:01 PM
Actually, Skullfire, some people don't care about looks. You have a really shallow view of the world, don't you? O_o I know a few guys who go out with girls who aren't exactly the prettiest girls you'll meet, but they are sweet, caring, funny people. Just because a lot of people do lie about looks not being important, doesn't mean that everyone does.

I also find it quite odd that people who used to say "looks don't matter" now say that they do. Funny how things change, eh? =P

I, personally, don't care about how a guy looks as long as they aren't sadly deformed. I usually feel bad for anyone who is.. and I know I wouldn't be able to go out with a guy who I feel bad for. They are nice to have, but looks do NOT last forever, so what's the point? I'd rather go out with an ugly, fat guy than a handsome jock who's an idiotic ass. Just because I feel that way, it doesn't mean that I have a low self-esteem and that I aim for 'low' goals, etc. It just has no relevance to me. ^^;

Note: I do agree with you about those who lie, saying that looks aren't important. We have an obvious proof of that lie here at this board, by the change of some members answers to whether or not looks are important. Also, being shallow can also be liking someone for their high position in society ($$$) and other things that are considered nice to have,

The world is shallow because I haven't found Jesus. :( Please care for me.

No, actually, my view of the world is shallow because the world is shallow. When's the last time you've turned on the news and there HASN'T been a shooting, political corruption, large drug bust, etc... That's just how the world is: shallow and full of corruption.

Alright, let me re-phrase what I said previously:

All those that are attractive are shallow.

Not to be meant offensive towards you, because I don't know you, etc, but no one that is good looking themselves will settle for an unnatractive man if they could get a more attractive man with the same level of personality.
I'm not all that good looking, but I AM shallow. Why? Well, that's just how I am. However, I don't base myself solely on looks. You've got looks, but no brains-- no sense even going after you. However, if you have both a personality and attractiveness, well, good for you, you're good in my books.
Just as good looks and bad personality doesn't cut it, bad looks and good personality doesn't either. Just my two pennies.

And we have a word for guys that go out with sweet, caring, or whatever girls that aren't all that attractive: desperate.
Too many of those guys up here that just go straight for the gully-hole.

And if I seem bitter, it's because I am. Ph33r /\/\3, Grr.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

nightcrow
5th June 2004, 10:16 PM
skullfire has a point. However, in the end, it's not the hottie dumb girls who always turn out best. yeah sure, they get the dick, but that's all they get.

I think when it comes down to it, looks don't matter as much.. but when you're in highschool and not looking to settle down, why settle for less? ;)

abunaidesu
7th June 2004, 02:47 AM
- isn't a ***** and knows how to kick ass
- has to be gorgeous
- knows when to be mature
- is intelligent
- is funny
- doesn't show off
- isn't overprotective to the extreme
- doesn't expect me to spend 24/7 with him.
- is honest
- doesnt call me every 5 minutes :no:
- has a sexy voice
- nice body ^_~
- knows when to stfu

i prefer guys who are more funny than guys who are nice/shy/serious all the time.

DeAtH2LeMoNaDe
7th June 2004, 02:57 AM
I have a thing for tails.

Bulbasaur4
7th June 2004, 03:11 AM
Hot, smart, sane. Pick two.

I go with hot and smart.

EDIT: Skullfire brings up a good point. Why do fat chicks try to dress sexy? I never see fat guys run around with no shirts on (sometimes even covering up more so than other people).

Damn, there goes my chances with Raz.
I'm fairly even temperature right now with the fan blowing, and I'm SO not sane. XD

But actually, on the fat guys running around with no shirts?
Come where I live and be scarred for life!
FAT GUYS RUNNING AROUND WITH No SHIRTS ARE HEEEREEE!

XD My next door neighbor is old and umm... 'portly' and mows the lawn all the time like that. Heh, but I agree... dress for your body type. Not to be mean, but it flatters a person more that way.

But for me these are important:

- Smile
I love guys who smile a lot... it's just fun to hear them laugh and smile. Brightens my spirits.

- Humor
Guys with humor just plain rule. What's life with out some laughter and fun?

- Try to be well kept
I don't like people who don't take care of themselves. It's alright to be a little overweight, that's fine. Just please take a shower regularly and don't smoke.

- Protectful?
For some reason I like feeling protected, or perhaps it's that whole loyality issue. I like a guy whose protective of me, or some one I can just trust overall. But that's the same with friends as well. ^^

- Looks are okay
Of course looks are good too. I mean no one is perfect, but some body attraction needs to be there, even if it is just a bit of it. Personality is key, but everyone knows that!

And here are random bonuses-

- Likes to sit and lie around with me, without having to touch me every five minutes.
- Has common sense
- Likes animals
- Will try to carry on a phone conversation with me if they go away, even for a little bit.
- Will tolerate my little obsession with TW and my hobbies.

^^

darktyranitar
7th June 2004, 05:36 AM
For me, she has to be:
1) Attractive but not idiot/nitwit.
2) Share the same interest as mine.
3) Understanding, as I can turn out to be a pretty weird guy with weird interest/ tought :sweat2: .
4) Easy to approach and talk.
5) Kind, empathic, stuff like that.
6) Definately NOT owned by other boyfriend. :dead:

Gothic Animé
7th June 2004, 11:46 AM
as bulbasaur4 said, ugly men with no shirts happens. where i live, all the time. i mean, at least every other block is a fat hairy old man without a shirt sitting on his porch or mowing the lawn.

can we say cover up?

suzie
7th June 2004, 01:34 PM
-funny
-smart
-interesting (i tend to get bored with people quickly :( )
-preferably tall (but its not like im going to reject someone just because theyre short, either)
-preferably british ;)

Angel Blossom
7th June 2004, 03:35 PM
Just a question to you, Angel Blossom, about your post way up yonder. What's so wrong with guys who act 'ghetto'? What about those people from the ghetto who have no other way to act or dress?

Well, not those. I meant because I know a bunch of rich, spoiled brats who have maids & everything, but say stuff like, "There are shootings every night on the street!" XD They're white, blonde boys, dressing & talking like miniature Eminems. That's what I meant, basically. Sorry for not being clear on that. ^^"

I know that Skullfire has a point, lol. He does! I can be shallow (DUH), I admit.. I know I wouldn't date a guy with a severe case of acne. x-X Also, I totally despise those overweight girls/guys who show off their blubber. It's excruciating for our eyes.. like B4 said, dress for your body type.

Wolfsong
7th June 2004, 05:26 PM
I like someone that:

- I enjoy talking with
- is friendly
- has a sense of humor
- gets along well with others
- trustworth
- shares the same religious beliefs as i do (though not as high on my list as the others)
- can keep secrets
- and a big one: Likes me for me and won't try to change me into somethign I'm not

PancaKe
8th June 2004, 04:05 AM
What do i look for in a guy?

Some one who can be my best friend.

Some one who will one day be my husband.

I heard somewhere that you may as well marry your best friend because you can grow old with them. I dont know where but I heard it. And its true - if your'e going to name all these things (hot, funny, smart, talkative, trustworthy) - all of them except hot count towards the qualities of a best friend. And if you're going to marry someone who you want to be all those qualities (which, really, dating should lead to marrage), then you may as well marry your best friend :)

**PancaKe||

Neo-Xantios
8th June 2004, 05:02 AM
Here is my perception:

Firstly, I'll only like a girl who is wholly loyal and will not betray me by trading the devotion she gave me with another d00d. She should appreciate the fact that writing is my greatest interest and hopefully develop a liking for my work. Indeed, I can't bond with someone who despises my interest.

Also, she should be able to speak in English (I don't see many English-speakers here in Hong Kong, and my Cantonese is as weak as heck), but I won't mind if she speaks to me sometimes in H.K.'s Common Tongue.

Like what Mist said, your lover should in fact be your best friend; one whom you can speak openly with, one who can keep secrets, and one who will be with you till death, or the ending of the world, or whatever. I think this is the most important aspect.

Finally, she should be fair to look upon. I believe in the quote: "All that is gold does not glitter", but then I also believe that good gold will at times glitter, and all that is not gold will not always glitter.

woz
8th June 2004, 01:10 PM
they have to be intelligent. i don't like stupid people.
they have to laugh at my jokes and make me laugh too.
they have to make me feel as if i could tell them anything...trustworthy or something like that.
they can't be clingy.

also it helps if they're easy on the eyes.