PDA

View Full Version : Look, I started a topic!

Iveechan
8th June 2004, 07:57 AM
Ok... I haven't added anthing to Guilty in several months (no surprise). But I am thinking that I want to re-write the earlier chapters, especially the first because it's pretty bad. Now I have a little problem. The main antagonist's name is currently Rick. But, since this story is based off an anime episode, I found out later that his named is actually Anthony. People are used to calling him Rick, it's been that way for over a year now. Should I go ahead and replace the name as I re-write, or just let people know of his actual name?

I'm also having doubts of a certain character of mine, Aya the female hitmon. I'm afraid that having a made-up Pokemon in the story seems cheap and I plan on explaining how hitmons came to be later in the story. But I'm having trouble trying to place why there's only one variety of female, yet three males. I think I can figure this out on my own though if I put effort into it for I already have a theory, it's just farfetched and hard to explain without sounding stupid. My main concern is the Rick/Anthony issue though. Making it Anthony would be more authentic and closer to the anime like it should be, but everyone's used to Rick.

So... what now?

Dragonfree
8th June 2004, 09:10 AM
Maybe you can make his name "Rick Anthony" and he's just called Rick in this story. :-/ Or something... I personally like your story about the origin of the Hitmons, so I think you should keep Aya and that in.

Chris 2.1
8th June 2004, 02:46 PM
About Rick, keep his name as Rick. There's no point changing it, and anyway, he might sound more like an original character instead of "That guy from the anime"

About the Hitmons - just weave it in somewhere. Maybe the males trained so much their evolutions split off into punching, kicking and spinning, but the female trained its whole body and didnt have split evolutions.

Darien Shields
8th June 2004, 05:38 PM
I don't think "fakemons" take away from the story...

As for Rick, weeeell... you could sculpt out a complex story, like he didn't like the name Anthony, and Rick's the name of a Champ! (it seems to make some sense to me) But it might just be easier to stick with one. If you prefer Anthony, go with Anthony. ^_^ you might get a load of new readers, and then it doesn't matter what you call him!

BTW, what epp's it based on? That really interests me... I'd like to know.

Psst, if I manage to get some role in the "FFF E-zine", I'll give Guilty a Spotlight sometime. Although the no one seems to notice my plight to work on an E-zine -_-;

Iveechan
9th June 2004, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. Rick could be a middle name that he prefered. Maybe when he was a kid there was a jerk in his class who was also named Anthony and he changed it so he wouldn't have to be associated with the kid. Thanks, I never would of thought of having both Rick and Anthony in his name.

And to Brit Chris, that was my theory o.o. Atleast I am assured that it doesn't sound dumb afterall :D.

Spotlight.. I'm not surprised but am very flattered. Guilty is one that is rarely updated and pushed down the boards qyickly as a result, but I still enjoy it (even if the first chapter pains me to read it). I also expect to see other great stories like the one shots get spotlighted too. I'll need to re-read that topic now.

Chris 2.1
9th June 2004, 11:24 AM
Hehe! I think it's a great idea.

Also, Darrien, it's Antony from the P1 Grand Prix. He has a Hitmonchan, and Ash's Primeape. There was also Anthony in Hoenn, he trained a Pelipper

Darien Shields
9th June 2004, 12:19 PM
For the Last time it's DaRien. Not "Darren" not "Darrien", not "Damien" (although I expect usually people are referring to Damien Silverblade when they say that, and I just get confused.) or any other misconstrued version of my name. It's "Darien Shields" as in: the main male character in Sailor Moon. Yeah, in case you never realised, it's not my "real" name, just my net identity. And yes, Shields is official, it's in the Manga. Now if I ever see someone misspelling my name again there will be Hell to pay.

That aside (sorry Brit Chris, you really bore the wrath that had culminated from all others mis spelling my name), I kinda meant "Under Appreciated Fic Spotlight" (what with the small text and all I made the message short), since I always thought Guilty to be one of those fics that got less attention than it deserved.

But it deserved a lot!

Drago
10th June 2004, 06:01 AM
Anthony is a fantastic name. All the best people are named Anthony, you know. :D

Err, yeah. Well since you've got that dilemma solved, I suppose the only one that could really be mentioned is that of a female Hitmon. And in essence, that's already been taken care of too. Damnation. Nonetheless, I'll put in my two cents and see if my horse will run.
I really didn't see any fault with having a variation anyway, whether or not it has a valid explanation. I always came to a bold conclusion that there were some things that were best left secret, giving more of a sense of secrecy to a character... But that training idea works well, too.

Gah, I'm idea-less... ~_~