PDA

View Full Version : darktyranitar Pokemon TCG report #5

darktyranitar
8th June 2004, 08:24 PM
Here's another report of a fossil card that is released in Ex Sandstorm, Omastar:

Omastar (Ex Sandstorm)

Stats:
110 HP
(W)
Stage 2
Evolve from Omanyte
Weakness: (L)
Resistance: N/A
Retreat Cost: (CC)

Pre-Evolution Choice:
1) Mysterious Fossil
Use the combo of Mysterious Fossil+Wally’s Training+Rare Candy.. I would choose it over Buried Fossil, as it prevent my opponent of free prize.(It can’t be played in the new format that is coming, anyway… ) :s:
2) Omanyte
No doubt, the Sandstorm Omanyte is the best Omanyte to use, as it can bring out other Omanyte into play.

Attack:
(C) Pull Down
If your opponent has any Evolved Pokemon in play, remove the highest Stage Evolution card from each of them and return them to your opponent's hand.
A substitute of Mew Devolution Beam.
(CC) Hydrocannon 30+
Does 30 damage plus 20 more damage for each (W) Energy attached to Omastar but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 40 damage in this way.
This attack make Omastar as a substitute Dark Blastoise, with higher HP and a good first attack. Maximum of dealing 70 damage.

Combo:
1) Mysterious Fossil, Wally’s Training, Rare Candy, and SS Omanyte
All the card exist in one ecosystem. First bring out MS, then use Wally Training, use Rare Candy, then assemble those Omanyte to your bench with Team Assembly.
2) Bench damaging Pokemon (SS Xatu, TM Claydol , SS Steelix etc)Use Psyimpact, Clay Pulse, Spinning Tail etc to damage the bench, then Pull Down those Pokemon, so the basic will be or ready to be K.O.ed.
3) Desert Ruin
Work well together as an anti-Blaziken ex. 4 energy deals base damage of 70 damage, with Blaziken ex weakness, it becomes 140 damage. 10 more damage to Knock Out. Frustrated that only 10 HP is left? Worried that Blaziken ex will KO you next turn? Look again, as this stadium state that put 1 damage counter on pokemon ex with Hp> than 100, meaning 150 damage to you, Blaziken ex! :lol:
*Note: This idea is basically not mine. It’s told by Roarkiller*

Card Art Rating in number 1-5: 4
Overall Rating: Omastar is a decent Pokemon with lots of HP. It has potential of attacking early in the game, with the right strategy. It is also a great counter to Blaziken ex, compared to the overused Kingdra ex and Gardevoir ex.
Overall Rating in number 1-5: 4

Roarkiller
9th June 2004, 07:31 AM
If u have an energy in ur hand, u may not even need to worry bout Buried fossil being knocked out. All u need is a rare candy in ur hand. The power will get u the omanyte and u can immediately candy up to omanyte. Not satisfied, juz wally up to omastar in the same turn, tho that kinda defeats the purpose of omanyte unless u already got the rest out.

On the desert ruins combo, unfortunately it only works if the maximum HP is 100 or more. Or in simpler terms, the total REMAINING HP must be equal or higher than 100. 90HP remaining doesnt cut it anymore.

Of course, if u think about it, 90HP is low enough to be killed easily within 2 turns already, no? :round:

Alec Trevelyan
9th June 2004, 05:51 PM
okay, the card have potential, i agree. But the 1st attack is "weird", this new devolution beam would only work w/ pokemons which used rare candy to evolve, right? Or to kill them, like: Blaziken EX has 100 dmg, u use this attack to KO it, right? Are these the only uses of this attack?

darktyranitar
9th June 2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that's what it was meant for. Never thought of that... :(

Anyway, isn't the Desert Ruin meant that the Pokemon ex maximum HP is >100,eg Blaziken ex is 150, not it's remaining HP? :confused:

Here's a scan:
http://pokebeach.topcities.com/scans/exlegends/scans/temp/088.jpg

Water Pokemon Master
9th June 2004, 09:20 PM
Desert Ruins confuses me. I need to ask a professor on what it means. Does it mean if you have an EX with 100+ HP, you put a damage counter on it between turns? How confusing...

Alec Trevelyan
10th June 2004, 09:26 AM
yeah, WPM is 100% right, 1 put 1 dmg counter on each EX pokemon that have at least 100 HP each between turns... nuff much to say

Roarkiller
10th June 2004, 09:26 AM
Desert Ruins confuses me. I need to ask a professor on what it means. Does it mean if you have an EX with 100+ HP, you put a damage counter on it between turns? How confusing...

Yes it does. But as T-tar puts it, im not sure now whether its the HP stated or remaining HP. There was another card with a similar problem before, anyone remembers what it is?

@Alec: There r 2 more ways of using it. One is to devolve a pkmn that had used breeder or similar methods (if any, i aint sure) to get to stage2, which means the opp has to re-evolve it the hard way. Another is to slow down evolution process, especially when u r dead sure that they dont have a candy or wally, or they have a stage2 thats capable of desroying u and u have yet to have a way of defeating yet i.e. staller of some sort.

Prolly im one of the very few ppl to realize this. But then the deck im building will be based on disruptive offense, so works for me. Using some combos, i can pull of 2 dimentional disruptions, main combo will be with absol.

Alec Trevelyan
10th June 2004, 09:36 AM
RK: I said the use to devolve from stage2 to basic pokemon, breeder on modified = rare candy ;)
But i dont understand, how can u slow down the evolution process if u devolve the highest stage to hand, then the opponent evolve it again w/out any problem?

Water Pokemon Master
10th June 2004, 04:24 PM
Well, it slows down the process as shown in the following example:

Omastar! Use your de-evolving thingy attack on Wartortle! Oh noz! Squirtle gets knocked out because his damage is equal or more than his HP. Ok, I send out a Squirtle, evolve it into Wartortle, and I have a Blastoise in my hand! Omastar, use your devolving thingy attack on Wartortle so that it's now a Squirtle. Aww man, now I have to evolve it into Wartortle next turn and not Blastoise. (repeat process)

Hehe, I am glad you guys are up-to-date on the new cards. Now I feel like I can start posting my decks in here again. :)

Roarkiller
11th June 2004, 10:12 AM
*looks at candy*

Oooh, u can evolve to stage2 straight away! Damn i need to read cards more properly.

And of course, candy can be used on turn one, no? No wonder blaziken Ex is a strong card, u can power up its 1st attack on turn one.

Imagine raindance decks w/ candy. Yeesh :no:

Water Pokemon Master
11th June 2004, 10:21 AM
Nope, you can't use it first turn of the game. Rare Candy is basically a better Breeder. People should not use Breeder anymore, because Rare Candy is simply better.

Hehehe, 2nd turn of the game -> Go! Squirtle! Rare Candy! Blastoise ex! Energy Power Thingy! Fully Powered up Blastoise ex! Attack and kill!