PDA

View Full Version : Results of Aussie nationals

Last Exile
14th June 2004, 06:09 AM
Got back from Sydney today.

I came 14th, 5 wins and 2 losses. Apparently 6 wins were needed to make the top 8 stage. I beat some pretty good quality competition, had a damn unlucky loss in the 1st round to a good one from Queensland and I got my worst ever draws against the guy who ended up 1st in the minor rounds. Yata, Lily and 13 useless m/ts?! The 3 ressurectors are useless if nothing's in the graveyard and m/t destruction negation ain't useful in that situation either.

3 South Australians (knew all 3), 3 New South Wales guys, a Perth guy and a Vic guy made it to the top 8. 2 South Aussies got booted in the quarters, the other in the semis.

Semis were NSW #1 vs Perth #1 and NSW #2 vs my South Aussie mate who's equal 1st with me in terms of consistency at the top. NSW #1 (Reza), who I thought would win the whole comp at this stage, had horiffic draws and got CED'd in both duels by Perth #1 (Mayur) while NSW #2 (Pascall) had a 3 dueler with SA guy (Jason). Duel 1 went for 15 mins, Pascall left Jason stuck without a MST to get out of Mirage and his monsters gradually wore him down. Duel 2, Jason CED'd and Creature Swapped his Magical Scientist for Jinzo to seal it. Duel 3, Jason drew 11 monsters in a row (WTF?!) and simply got depleted by the usual suspects from Pascall.

Final - Pascall vs Mayur. Duel 1 went for 30 mins (!!!). The draws were crazy. Sinisters and D. D.'s abounded, with little damage happening until Pascall finally got a monster surplus to get through the barriers once Mayur was trapless. Duel 2 was long as well, probably 20 mins. Mayur got a bit miffed about Sinister going back to Pascall's hand before Mirage goes off when Pascall claimed it, and the judges correctly ruled in Pascall's favour. Mayur CED'd first beforehand and had the Lp initiative, but a few turns later when Mirage was played, Mirage went in Pascall's favour. Once his hand built up, Pascall only had to kick one card per turn. Mayur picked Pascall's Black Lsuter Soldier first and looked set, but then he kept picking Sinister Serpent. Pascall dealt a couple of quick hits past Mayur's Sinister then finally sealed it with Tribe and Sinister.

Pascall (Sydney, 16) won the trip to the worlds in California and 3 days of all expenses paid accomodation, along with 12 Ancient Sanctuary Boosters, 6 Pharaonic Guardians, a 24 box of Invasion of Chaos and a 36 of Magic Ruler. Mayur went home with 24 Pharaonic Guardian, 24 invasion of Chaos and 36 Magic Ruler boosters. Reza and Jason won 72 boosters each. 5th to 8th 48 boosters. 9th to 16th 24 boosters (Pharaonic Guardian), which is what I got.

It was luck all the way. South Australia had 8 players in the top 16, clearly showing our state was the strongest by far with the next best, New South Wales, having 4 in there. Cory Lewis, who came 1st in the minor round and was the only 7-0 player, had never won a tourney back in SA and admitted he was very lucky (he beat me in round 6), then he fell apart against Pascall in the quarters. Queensland had very strong duelists, but none got higher than 4-3. Nick Ventlin ended up 34th and he is WAY better than that. Nick is easily top 10. Victoria's best barely made the top 50. Once you hit the top 20, it's almost pure luck.

Overall, I don't have problems with Pascall winning. Personally I think Reza, Jason or me would have gotten him and Mayur if we had to duel them. But he duelled very smart, especially in the finals. He got a little up himself once he won, but he's alright and down-to-earth usually, so that was forgivable. Mayur was very polite so I respected him. However, he admitted he changed his deck to model mine (Geez, isn't that nice?!) but he still used 3 Solemn Judgements. I would've screamed if a deck with 3 Solemn Judgements won the nationals.

Well done to Pascall, comiserations to Mayur, Reza and Jason.

Here's how the SA duelists ended up:

Jason Mackellar - 4th
Fazli Beria - 6th
Cory Lewis - 8th
Joel Turner - 10th (harder opponents than me)
Tyson Clark - 12th (duelled harder opponents than me)
Alexander aka Kakarot - 13th (ditto)
Ryan Mendes (me) - 14th
Dale Turner - 16th

Hey, one state getting half of the top 16 is good IMO. Proves we have a strong meta.

Ah well, if this game's around next year, I'll be in it again hopefully. I think there's supposed to be a big one at Supernova in October, so that would be worth going to, I hear it might have a bigger tourney in America linked to it in the last month or two.

My tips after this nationals:

1. If you don't use Sinister Serpent, you're an idiot.
2. Use Shining Angel, all the top 8 did.
3. Use Waboku, again top 8 did. I used 3 myself and they saved me SO much!
4. Always check your results sheet. A couple of people got ripped in tournies the day before.
5. Be polite and be yourself. A friendly duelist always gets remembered. Reza, Pascall and a mate of theirs took my details along with Fazli's because they respected me, plus they knew I could more than hold my own against them. ;)
6. Have fun, no matter where you finish. Luck of the draw getsyou the trip to the worlds, and only one person from each country makes it. So have fun and have no regrets.
7. If you win a booster box as a prize, keep it sealed and sell it to a deal later to get some decent money.

Well, that's the report.

Roarkiller
14th June 2004, 06:18 AM
Aw man, that sux. Guess u wont be meeting dkyouth in the worlds, huh?

Btw, how did Tara do?

Last Exile
14th June 2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I wanted to meet Darkyouth, but too many strong duelists in Australia. Only one could come. Ah well.

Yeah, the meeting with Tara was a blast! However, that might be a tale more appropriate for Misc, so when I have all the details I want (need the photograph we took), I'll let everyone know. ;)

Again, I'm not bitter about going to America. I won 43 boosters over the weekend, met some good people, had fun, enjoyed being in a big city for once. Plus I finally found the huge book store in Sydney, called Kinokuniya, that takes up an ENTIRE floor in a huge shopping mall and has HALF of its section devoted to anime/manga and Asian stuff! How cool is that?! :D

Apologies for not making it. Darkyouth, it's up to you know. Do your best, and don't be too rough on Pascall, man! He's only 16! ;)

Roarkiller
14th June 2004, 07:01 AM
Uve never been to kino? Oh wait, u live in Queensland, right?

Dkyouth's 20 btw, same age as me :D And dont worry, he aint got nothing other than skill and a little luck to win his games, unlike in pkmn. Can u believe it, word spread around real fast to the new players bout my coin skills, and only one guy agreed to play w/ me w/ the coin only cuz he wants to use it to. Not that it bothers me, lol. Ironically, it was the same kid who experienced my all-heads-for-whole-game phenomenon.

Last Exile
14th June 2004, 07:41 AM
Nope, South Australia mate! Hence why I listed the SA duelists in the top 16. ;) Don't worry.

Kinokuniya is only in Sydney actually, for Australia that is. So I'll ahve to do ent orders form now on.

Mayur had killer opening draws all the way to the final match. Everyone wept along the way. ;) 4 people in a row thought he was topdecking, but I'm sure he wasn't. He just finally understood how to play Chaos, is all. ;)

Dark-San
14th June 2004, 10:08 AM
Too bad then I was really looking forward to meeting you CCC! Well nvm 'bout Pascall, I will take real good care of him when we are dueling! Yupz I would lolz~ I promise I wouldn't be too tough on him! Or he will be the one to clean my butt lolz... Who knows?

Yoh Asakura
14th June 2004, 12:28 PM
Let me guess, you all used Chaos + Yata lock decks.

Last Exile
14th June 2004, 06:08 PM
The two best Victorians used warrior decks. One guy used Magical Scientist. Otherwise, yeah, Chaos + Yata.

The Muffin Man
14th June 2004, 10:07 PM
Your tip about Shining Angel is pointless.

ONLY if you run a bog-standard, boring, copy and paste Chaos deck. Otherwise Mystic Tomato is probably the better option because of it's usefullness...

Last Exile
14th June 2004, 11:10 PM
1. Shining Angel dies as result of battle. Special Summon D. D. Warrior Lady to the field.
2. Next turn, summon big monster. D. D. removes opponent mosnter from play while big monster attacks directly.

Or, extra dumping bait for Painful Choice or Graceful Charity.

Mike, the Shining Angels decided who won the Aussie nationals. The D. D. special summon allowed compelte reversals of field advantage in a single turn. Don't underestimate its power. if anything, Reflect Bounder is pointless compared to Shining Angel.

Andrew
15th June 2004, 12:50 AM
Ryan, give us detailed info of how you dueled! Please!

Also, sad to hear you lost, but great to hear you did really well!

Dark-San
15th June 2004, 07:37 AM
Mike, the Shining Angels decided who won the Aussie nationals. The D. D. special summon allowed compelte reversals of field advantage in a single turn. Don't underestimate its power. if anything, Reflect Bounder is pointless compared to Shining Angel.

I doubt the power of running Shining Angel too. But it all depends on the metagame that you are used to played in. For me I wouldn't anyhow summoned Dimensional Girl. I will only summoned Dimensional Girl when there is a need to. Like using it against facedown when I don't have Emissary of Obliteration. Using it against Shocker so that I can use my traps.

Yoh Asakura
15th June 2004, 12:34 PM
That's why tourniments are lame. People use Chaos decks every damn time. I fail to see the point in the playing "Who can get out there Chaos monster first" game.

I personally wouldn't use Shine Angel in anything apart from an Angel deck. I'd rather use a Ninja Sasuke or a Marshy.

The Muffin Man
15th June 2004, 07:35 PM
That's why tourniments are lame. People use Chaos decks every damn time. I fail to see the point in the playing "Who can get out there Chaos monster first" game.

Same opinion++.

It's gotten to be less "Win the duel" and more "Get your Yata out and attack before they get theres." or "Get your CED out and do massive damage to them before they do to you!"

It's really gotten redundant.

Dark-San
15th June 2004, 07:59 PM
That's why tourniments are lame. People use Chaos decks every damn time.

Thats where you are wrong. Over at my nationals, the number of people using Chaos has really decreased. Well not so much but its still a significant drop. I have seen Horus+Shocker decks, Lava Golem+Gravity Bind, First Turn Killed decks like Jowgen+Last Turn or even Catapult Turtle+Magical Scientist.

Yes there are mixture of Chaos is some of these decks but the deck focus ain't so much on Chaos anymore. Besides you can't call tournaments lame right? I fought a feaking 6 hours nationals just to earn my place in the Worlds.

@YY- This year's nationals is more like 'who gets Horus out first rather than Chaos'!

@TMM- Yata is banned here lolz. Not over at CCC's tourney but its ban here.

Roarkiller
16th June 2004, 08:25 AM
The point of a tourney isnt for fun, its for ppl to compete against other ppl to prove themselfs as the best. In tourneys is more like "go ahead and use whatever deck u want, but if u cant win me, it still means im better than u."

And if ur gonna argue bout everyone using the same deck, will, that proves even more the ability of the winner, doesnt it? The better player will win.

Yoh Asakura
16th June 2004, 12:45 PM
The point of a tourney isnt for fun, its for ppl to compete against other ppl to prove themselfs as the best.

RK that's total bull. If people wanted to prove themselfs as the best then they wouldn't use Cheap pathetic Chaos decks.

DY, I'll bet you $500 that the Worlds will only feature what I mentioned in my previous post. With the odd different deck.

I've been doing a lot of people in lately with a speedy LV 8 Horus + APS withing about 3/4 turns. I'm starting to like a lot.

Dark-San
16th June 2004, 08:55 PM
DY, I'll bet you $500 that the Worlds will only feature what I mentioned in my previous post. With the odd different deck.

I've been doing a lot of people in lately with a speedy LV 8 Horus + APS withing about 3/4 turns. I'm starting to like a lot.

You can have that 500 dollars to yourself lolz~ I've already expected that. So I will be doing some modification to my side deck to be ready for this!

3-4 Turns? Well one of the doods at my local store says Horus Lv 8 could be summoned onto the field at Turn 1. So I was wondering how on earth could he have done that! Remember Lv 6 Horus denies you playing Lv up on it~

Roarkiller
17th June 2004, 08:29 AM
RK that's total bull. If people wanted to prove themselfs as the best then they wouldn't use Cheap pathetic Chaos decks.

They want the title as the best. How they get it is totally irrelevant to them. If ur gonna say everyone uses chaos decks, then i can say since everyone knew, everyone will find away to defeat the metagame. After all, a metagame is supposed to be the strongest general deck, and if u can top that, u already r the best. Its only a matter of how they do it.

Of course for me, i like to find a way of defeating the metagame in a shameful and disgraceful manner. Like how i defeated most clefable/removal decks (the metagame) with a sneasel-based deck, which is supposedly extremely weak to the metagame.

The Muffin Man
17th June 2004, 09:42 AM

You're on a freaking roll. That's my thoughts EXACTLY!!

If you wanna prove you're the best, use your OWN deck. Don't go online, copy and paste a winning Chaos deck into Notepad, and then build it by the letter. At the very least, vary what you use. I did that with alot of my decks. I take existing decks, then build it according to MY preference. For example, if I don't see a need for a TI-Virus in my Beast deck, I don't use it.

And RK - How the hell do you beat a Metagame that can hand you the entire game turn one as long as you decide to go second? Just drop a Thunder dragon, ram mystic tomato and bring out Witch, summon CED. That's nearly half their LP in one shot, and unless they draw a monster(Over half a good deck is M/T) it'll be damn near impossible to keep from being locked.

Considering Konami AND UD have both stated numerous times that short of canceling the summon of CED, there's no way to stop the effect, thanks to good ol' turn priority...I say state that CED has to be out for one turn or make it ALOT less damage to make it less broken. Or do the damage to BOTH players. It'll make people alot less hesitant to lose 1/8th of their LP to do over half their opponents.

Yoh Asakura
17th June 2004, 12:32 PM
Once again RK, total bull. It's usually Chaos Vs. Chaos and whoever get's CED/CS + Yata first wins. It's just total luck on what you have, no skill at all. The only difference is what TMM said, using a Tomato for something to get that Witch/Crit out faster.

There is a card that prevents CED to be played. If you look in the latest Japanese sets you'll see it.

Anywho, DY, I was talking about having APS + Horus LV8 out in 3/4 turns. I can get Horus LV8 out on my second turn, mainly since I go by what his effect says about it not being effected by magic. A few people say that LV UP! can be used since it targets and doesn't effect. Now to me, that's B/s lol.

Ayala
17th June 2004, 07:44 PM
You can have that 500 dollars to yourself lolz~ I've already expected that. So I will be doing some modification to my side deck to be ready for this!

3-4 Turns? Well one of the doods at my local store says Horus Lv 8 could be summoned onto the field at Turn 1. So I was wondering how on earth could he have done that! Remember Lv 6 Horus denies you playing Lv up on it~

dark youth,

i think can, horus lv 4 summoned.... call horus lv6 then attk one creature... end of turn summon lv 8...

i think this is what he meant~ :sleep: :lol:

Dark-San
17th June 2004, 07:49 PM
Well one dood apparently told me that Horus Lv 8 could be summoned on Turn 1. So I was like 0.o"~ Intially I thought he was just joking but when he told me it was done by a DMC member, I was like WTF!!!! How on earth could he have have done it? Yupz if you can remember you can't attack during the first turn.

Ayala
17th June 2004, 08:23 PM
Well one dood apparently told me that Horus Lv 8 could be summoned on Turn 1. So I was like 0.o"~ Intially I thought he was just joking but when he told me it was done by a DMC member, I was like WTF!!!! How on earth could he have have done it? Yupz if you can remember you can't attack during the first turn.

maybe he wanted to put "1 turn" instead of "turn 1".... :sweat4:...but then~ :sleep: :lol:

The Muffin Man
18th June 2004, 12:07 AM
Ermmm...technically your first turn can be considered "Turn 1"...It's only considered turn 2 for either recordkeeping issues or cards like SORL, and Final Countdown..

Roarkiller
18th June 2004, 09:58 AM
Really? I thought YGH was supposed to be based a lot more on skill than on luck compared to pkmn? Looks like i was totally wrong, in which case it gives me another good reason to stay away from it.

Dark-San
18th June 2004, 11:35 PM
Really? I thought YGH was supposed to be based a lot more on skill than on luck compared to pkmn? Looks like i was totally wrong, in which case it gives me another good reason to stay away from it.

Yupz if you're playing the English Metagame~ Whoever gets out Yata 1st will be the winner. In Singapore, Elais we are playing the Japanese Metagame which is say to be more technical. You will need more than just luck to win a whole tournament.

Yoh Asakura
19th June 2004, 03:22 AM
Indeed. Mainly since you have to plan carefully what deck you're going to use. You have so many deck types in Japanese at the moment to battle against. Decks such as Chaos, Horus, Undead, FTK, the odd Warrior and DDV.

What do you have in English? Chaos? wow that's so hard to build a counter deck for lol.

The Muffin Man
19th June 2004, 03:53 PM
Indeed. Mainly since you have to plan carefully what deck you're going to use. You have so many deck types in Japanese at the moment to battle against. Decks such as Chaos, Horus, Undead, FTK, the odd Warrior and DDV.

What do you have in English? Chaos? wow that's so hard to build a counter deck for lol.

Actually the possible good decks are Warrior, Water, Chaos, Fiends(Still popular!), Dinosaur and Beast. But Chaos and Warrior are all you'll ever see because they don't care if they have fun anymore.

Yoh Asakura
19th June 2004, 04:19 PM
Forgot Water is new to your environment.