PDA

View Full Version : Taunt and Torment questions

IceFlash78
15th June 2004, 09:13 PM
Hi. I was wondering if somebody could help me with these two moves: Taunt and Torment .

I know that Taunt forces the opponent to attack you for two turns, and I've seen this move on many movesets. However, I don't quite understand fully how one could use this move in battle?

Also, I was interested in the move Torment (Edit: Imprison, not Torment), which prevents your opponent from using any move you already have on your pokemon. For example, if I had Imprison on a Crobat that knew Shadowball and Aerial Ace, then the opposing pokemon would not be able to use these two moves. Is there any way to use Torment competivetely in battle?

This is kind of a discussion, I guess... meh.

Oops, I was thinking of Imprison afterall... thank you for pointing that out. Torment still sounds interesting though... Is there any uses for it?

phaedrus
15th June 2004, 09:22 PM
taunt prevents hazing/pseudohazing.

tyranitar
dragondance
earthquake
hp~rock
taunt
@leftovers
>you dragondance, and when a p/hazer appears, you taunt, forcing them out of a possibility of hazing you. keep on sweeping.

you're talking about imprison, i think. torment prevents the use of a move twice in a row.

dusclops
willowisp
rest
nightshade
imprison
@leftovers
>use imprison on a tank, which always carry rest, which means they can't rest. wow them, and nightshade away. also, imprison can prevent the opponents wow-ers from getting you. rest is obvious. this is an anti-tank dusclops

Rabid_Cow
16th June 2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah, Taunt is best used w/a poke that's pumpin their stats like Tyranitar and Gyrados that use Dragon Dance and don't wanna lose those hard earned stats.

Imprison is used for anti-tanks like strat said, I just thought I'd provide another example.

Banette is the anti-tank. He is awesome. There are a few different ways to do this though:

Banette
Imprison<>WoW<>Toxic<>Rest

He has shotty defenses, but hey, he can stop almost any tank dead in their tracks by just using one move and usually disabling 2 of theirs. A common Dusclops will have WoW and Rest, but if you throw Banette in their he can disable both of those, and usually ruin their well thought out approach to the battle.

Banette
Imprison<>Skill Swap<>WoW<>Rest

This one isn't as good as the first IMO, but it will still work.

Music Dragon
17th June 2004, 09:37 AM
I'm sure there are more effective ways of using Torment, but this is what I use it for: 1: Opponents will not boost stats very fast, meaning they will be easier to defeat. 2: Opponents will not be able to use powerful or effective moves twice in a row, making me harder to defeat. :) Preventing succesive use of a move is quite useful sometimes. For example, a Tormented Kyogre with mostly water and Ice moves will have a hard time killing water types with Protect/Detect even if it has Thunder.