PDA

View Full Version : Avatar/profile picture trouble

Jeikobu
15th June 2004, 11:00 PM
I selected "use custom avatar" and put in the URL to the picture but when I send it it just reopens the same page and it didn't use the image.

Number1ChanseyFan
15th June 2004, 11:13 PM
If it is possible, try to save the image that you want to use for your avatar on your computer, and then try to upload it, and see if that works. After you save the image, don't use the line where you put the URL for the avatar, use the one right below it. Just click on the gray "browse" button, and look for your file, and then open it. The file's name should appear in that line now. Click the "save changes" button, and see if that works. :) Also, your avatar can't be any bigger then 75 by 75 pixels or 50.0 KB. Your profile picture can't be any bigger then 100 by 100 pixels or 97.7 KB.

I hope that my instructions weren't too hard to understand!! I am really bad with computers, but that is what I had to do to get my avatar up when I was still using an avatar.

Jeikobu
15th June 2004, 11:20 PM
No I understand them perfectly, thanks. And the image is 50 by 50 pixels, so it should work.

Little_Pikachu
16th June 2004, 10:09 AM
Did you get it up?
If not, leave the link to the image here and we'll investigate.
*Wonders where her Avatar FAQ went...*

Chris
16th June 2004, 12:03 PM
*Wonders where her Avatar FAQ went...*

You lost it when you pruned vBH.

Crazy
16th June 2004, 12:22 PM
Yes it is easy, I just picked a random site and saw a gamecube symbol and boom it is my Avatar.

Little_Pikachu
16th June 2004, 03:42 PM
You lost it when you pruned vBH.
Well now I just feel silly :(

Jeikobu
16th June 2004, 11:59 PM
I uploaded my avatars from my computer like Number1ChanseyFan suggested.

pokeguy76
23rd June 2004, 01:11 PM
I'm having problems with my avatar(I don't have one).
Every time i try to upload it the page goes back to "no avatar specified"
Since I don't have internet at home, I have to go to Public internet houses and I can not put the avatar I want ontheir PC's because they delete everything at the end of the day
This (http://www.sibyllinewicca.org/avatars/avatar_026.gif) is the avatar I would like to use

Little_Pikachu
23rd June 2004, 04:01 PM
That avatar is too big, the limit is 60x60, that's 73x73 :)

kainashi
23rd June 2004, 04:34 PM
That avatar is too big, the limit is 60x60, that's 73x73 :) the limit is 75x75. i had kevin up it a while ago. :confused:

pokeguy76
25th June 2004, 08:39 AM
I'll try it again but I don't know if it will work

EDIT: no, still doesn't work

kainashi
25th June 2004, 10:24 AM
tried saving it to your computer then upload it that way?

pokeguy76
27th June 2004, 12:57 PM
tried saving it to your computer then upload it that way?
No, and I'm not going to because I don't have internet at home, I already explained that

kainashi
28th June 2004, 12:37 AM
No, and I'm not going to because I don't have internet at home, I already explained thatsave it to whichever computer you use that has internet then upload it that way...?

mr_pikachu
30th June 2004, 11:17 PM
I think the central issue with that method is whether or not the image has to stay on that computer after being uploaded. If it is deleted, would the avatar on TPM be lost as well, or does is stay on once being uploaded, regardless of the status of the original file? If it would stay up regardless, then that method would work. Otherwise it wouldn't, since pokeguy76 said in a previous post that the computer's files are deleted every day.

(I should think that the avatar would stay on the net without the original file having to be in place. I'm not entirely certain, though. I figure you might as well try it if you don't get an immediate answer.)

Chris
1st July 2004, 02:03 AM
The server copy stays on the server until it is replaced by another avatar.

pokeguy76
1st July 2004, 08:16 AM
(I should think that the avatar would stay on the net without the original file having to be in place. I'm not entirely certain, though. I figure you might as well try it if you don't get an immediate answer.)

Very well, I'll try that

EDIT: alright, here he is, it only remaines to be seen if your theory is correct, I certainly hope so

Jeikobu
2nd July 2004, 12:37 PM
I'd love to upload this avatar (http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/HarukaMB.gif), but apparently it's too big. >_<

Chris
2nd July 2004, 12:48 PM
It is indeed. The maximum file size is 50KB, and you're 56KB over the limit. Try cutting some frames out of the animation or resizing it to give it a smaller file size.

Jeikobu
2nd July 2004, 12:58 PM
I didn't make the avatar, so I don't know how.

pokeguy76
6th July 2004, 01:07 PM
If you didn't already, download it, and then try changing the file type.
In some occasions, the file size shrinks because of the capabilities of the different file.
The size should'nt matter because it's exactly as big as mine

Chris
6th July 2004, 01:33 PM
The avatar is animated. GIFs are the only supported format that can be animated.

Chris
6th July 2004, 01:39 PM
I'd love to upload this avatar (http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/HarukaMB.gif), but apparently it's too big. >_<

Okay, I've resized the avatar and cut a few frames out of it. It now stands (http://www.iphq.net/avatars/HarukaMB.gif) at 35KB, which should comply with the current avatar dimension regulations. Try uploading that and see how it goes.