PDA

View Full Version : Chrno Crusade comes to an end

Last Exile
16th June 2004, 07:42 PM
Thought you'd be interested in this thread from the CC ML

Threads: Final episode thoughts (MAJOR SPOILERS) / Anime and manga's endings

Since some of us (or most of us, I'm not sure how many people have seen it yet) may have not watched the final ep (it's out on the azn-pro mirc channel at irc://irc.immortal-anime.net/azn-project, as well as on their bittorrent at http://azn-project.depthstrike.com/) I'll put some spoiler space in here for you!

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

There we go. If you're still with me down here, you're doing it of your own free will probably!
Now, PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in thinking that it was just WRONG how this series ended!
The angst-lover in me, who cherishes every moment of pain and emotional torture characters undergo LOVED how this thing ended, and I still get little shivers when I watch it witih friends. The emotions portrayed, and the WONDERFUL effect of the setting sun symbolizing the last few moments of Rosette's life ticking away as she died in Chrno's arms REALLY hit the spot. And it was only heightened when they were discovered, looking as if they were simply sleeping on that bench side by side, smiling.

HOWEVER---

Does it strike no one else as kind of...strange....that in the end, EVIL WON? Our two main characters are dead, passing away separated from friends and dfamily with only themselves as comfort--not that that was bad or anything ^_^ Yay for the C/R FINALLY!--and Aion CONTINUED to live, looking MIGHTY suspicious in that assassination attempt on the Pope that they closed with.
The world spiraled into darkness, Remington/Johan's one mighty depressed angel, Joshua's stuck in the mindset of a 12-year-old, so far it seems only Azmaria's moving on with her life.

Now, while this DOES follow with what actually happens in world events (depression DID strike America, WW2 came, St. Valentine's Day Massacre, Hitler, Middle East, etc), it just seems strange that the series would end on this note.

Can anyone who's a faithful manga follower tell me if it's this way in the manga (or if it's even reached this point yet)? Is the manga still going? If so, was any of this supported in it?

I hope everyone else gets a chance to see it soon, as it was without a doubt one of THE most moving episodes of any series I've ever seen. I was literally in tears in their final moments, and burst back into them when they were discovered and Azmaria envisioned their images of how they migiht have lived in the little cabin. All in all the emotions evoked were great.

Alright, I've taken up enough time! Anyone else have any thoughts?
Courtney

^_^ Well, the manga is VERY different. Evil doesn't win, and good prevails. but it's not without it's sacrifices.
SPOILERS
Ok, the end of the manga is somewhat open...but not bad. Not sure how much you know but here's a quick run down.

Rosette and Chrno are fighting demons in Eden, and get separated. Chrno throws Rosette to safety, and gets trapped inside, and tells her to go find Joshua. She doesn't want to leave him behind, but he's telling her to go ahead, hes sacrificing himself blah blah i dunno what's exactly being said there. She fianlly calls him an idiot, unseals the watch much to his shock since he insists she doesn't have much time left, but by the time he gets to her after blowing apart the doors, she's gone.

Scene shifts to Joshua, and Rosette and he square off, she ends up shooting a horn off his head, and he rips the other one off after he regains conciousness. They embrace, the 7th bell is shown as being unfrozen, and Rosette's happy she has her brother back. Together they run t find Chrno.

Chrno's not looking good. He's been fighting desperately, trying not to use any more poer than necessary, and as a result he's missing an eye, ear, and his right arm, and has a nasty pike through his chest. Rosette runs towards him wanting to help, and Joshua fights off some monsters as Chrno wakes up, and starts to stand.

Then suddenly, Rosette's life runs out, and she falls down.

Chrno goes nuts, and tears away to get to her, and clasps her tightly, not able to believe her life's over this quickly. She makes a last effort to give him his horns back before she finally faints, and is assumed dead.

Chrno is in absolute misery, blaming himself, and wails holding her, as more morensters surround him. He blasts them away in fury, but then all his wounds seem to explode more since he no longer has any power to pull from. Joshua runs up, not sure what's going on, and asks what's wrong wtih Rosette. Chrno apologizes in tears, and says that it's his fault, he stole her life.

Joshua decks him.

Several times in fact.

Chrno doesn't put up a fight, and finally Joshua clasps his coat in tears, not believing it.

Ion shows up on a moniter thingy and taunts chrno, telling him something about how all those he loved are blaming him or making him guilty or something like that. Chrno gets very very angry.

He grabs his horns, and puts them on, and instantly begins regenerating. Ion's stunned, either from the fact he got his horns back, or the fact he's not dead because the barrier pandemonium created that destroyed deufax was supposed to still be in effect.

Chrno finishes regenerating, but stilllooks pretty badass evil, and challanges ion, planning to end this confrontation here and now.

Azmaria shows up and says rosette may not be dead yet, it could be like the episode in volume 2 when she left her b ody.. .she could be saved. Chrno gets new hope, and tells them to go take care of her, while he dealt with Ion.

The apostles take Rosette to the atrium, while chrno seeks out Ion, who's cut off pandemonia's head and horsn again, the bastard. They stand off , ion with the gem sword to chrno's neck, chrno with a blade thing he turned his arm into against ions. Then suddenly, pandemonia comes to life, and vacates her body. Chrno instantly is reminded what happened 50 years ago, and so is Ion and together they rush off after one another to beat Pandemonia back to Rosette, since she's seeking out an available body to posess.

They fight. Big battle scene, ion keeps getting the upper hand, and ends up cutting off chrno's wings and stabbing him. He reaches the atrium first, but then Chrno show's up, and lunges at him, they stand off, blocking each other's power, and ion's confounded why Chrno's so dedicated to helping a mere human. chrno explains it to the idiot ^_^. Then he busts throught e barrier ion made with the sword, though his arm shatters again, and with his left hand, he uses freeze barrier to freeze ion's arm and leg, as he screams.

But then, Pandemonia's spirit appears, and Chrno rushes to block her, but she passes through him and dives into rosette.

Meanwhile, rosette finds herself traveling on an old train...she's not sure why she's there, but the conductor comes with that carnival photo and hands it to her. She wonders about it, before a woman (looks like the virgin mary, but my guess is it's magdalaene) shows up and asks her if she really wants to do this. she glances out the window, and spots Chrno standing ther ein the distance in his true form, and rememebres why she wants to live. She runs to the back of the train, but is afraid to jump off. The cloaked woman comes up and tells her to open her eyes. Rosette does so, and sees the battle going on outside.

Chrno is desperatly trying to wake her, when Az tells him to open the seal. Like the elder said in v2, the watch was a dam keeping rosette's soul from flooding to chrno... so he opens it, but just then, Ion stabbs him right throughtthe chest from behind, cracking the watch's face. Chrno refuses to move however, though he's obviously greviously wounded, and his regenerating hand goes to reach for rosette's holsterd gun...

Rosette makes the decision, and jumps off, fearlessly, and then, a glowing form of a decintegrating magdalene comes and helps her... and she remembers the warm feeling that had helped her in v2 when the hand had guided her back through the watch (we all thought it was chrno! but no! it was her!) She smiles happly, then as Rosette fades out, she decintegrates.
Rosette wakes just in time to latch her hand around Chrno's and helps him pull the trigger of that badass gun, right in ion's face.

The sword's shattered, and Ion's blown away, looking shocked.

Chrno is delighted, but in tears, and they share a touching moment, where she promies not to leave him, blah blah ^_^ *sigh* ah the waff... they hug... tears... yum

But things are still bad. Pandemonium is going to destory everything unless something stops them. So Rosette says' shell go stop it, and chrno insists on going with her. Joshua's not happy cause it's suicidal to go stop this, and he apologize in a pissy way to chrno for callin ghim a monster.

They start running for the edge of the platform, as chrno's wings try and speed up regenerating so he can fly them up, and they share a small cheerful moment. He thne asks for her hand, and she gives it to him.

He uses freeze barrier on her, and freezes her in place, smiling sadly. She's very upset, suddenly realizing he plans to do this alone, and she doesn't want to let him do it alone. But he talks to her, more waff, and is very apologetic and tender, then kisses her (we don't see much ><) and leaves promising to reutnr to her, after he takes the clock and puts it aorund his own neck.

The rest of hte order's fighting, not sure what happens to jenai, since he's alive fighting remi in one of the acts, then he's just gone... Ion and Chrno face each other, and then go at it a sad Sheda watching in her demon form as they go for their final battle.

all we see is an explosion, and then rosette being un froze, as josh and az catch up. Shes' crying, and they feel like they know what has happened, but Rosette refues to give up, and says she'll wait forever for Chrno to return... btu then az says her life didnt regenerat, and rosette didn't tell chrno this.

The scene then shows an adult azmaria holding something in her hands fondly, and pictures of joshua with the other apostles, a picture of chibi chrno and rosette going to fight demons with grins, and then we see the photo of the four of them at the carnival, one of rosette's guns, and the broken watch on a counter with THE END on it.

>< yeah/

so it's not certain what happens... but obviously chrno ahd to have returned in order to bring the clock back... but it's pretty clear they're both dead at the end... kinda.. i think... @_@ oroooo
I loved it up till the last 5 panels or so... the final battle and the open ending just.. bleh >< nooooo want to know more

The GOOD thing is, moriyama said in a report from doragon-san who met him at a convention, that he plans chrno crusade isn't over yet and he wants to tweak the end and re-write it ^_^ so we can only hope!

Courtney Cummings:
> Now, PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in thinking that
> it was just WRONG how this series ended!

No, you're certainly NOT the only one who feels like
this. Many people have complained about it, including
me. ^_^

Yeah, the ending of the anime kinda sucked... yes, the
scene of Rosette and Chrno dying together was very
beautiful, but the rest of the episode was extremely
depressing and disturbing. Evil apparently wins over
good, and all of the main characters are either dead,
or too miserable to fight. Aion is alive and kicking,
and the future of the world seems to be as dark as an
underground cave, with no real hope left for humanity.
And that part about Aion being somehow responsible for
the shooting of the pope was just... crap.

> Can anyone who's a faithful manga follower tell me
> if it's this way in the manga (or if it's even
> reached this point yet)? Is the manga still going?
> If so, was any of this supported in it?

The manga is VERY, VERY different from the anime, and
infinitely better, too. Rosette's character is also
different, she's a lot more optimistic and
strong-willed. Aion's character is radically different
too. He's not such a pervert like in the anime, and he
actually cares about his comrades. That said, the
manga already ended, and the ending is, in my opinion,
a lot better too, though it a little "open" (Somebody
here already wrote an excellent summary for it, so I
won't spoil it for you).

Anyway, I rather have an open ending like the manga,
which has a strong sense of hope about the future of
all the characters; than a relatively "closed" ending
like the anime, where all the characters are left
hopeless, miserable, or dead, while the villian of the
story, who is responsible for the misery of everybody
else, is left unexplicably alive and well. Actually, I
think the manga has a more sense of "closure" on most
things than the anime, where a lot of things are left
unexplained and you're left to wonder what the heck
happened to everybody else except Rosette and Chrno,
who are dead. The manga gives us the idea that they
lived happily after what happened, while the anime
leaves us the impression that the ones who actually
survived were left in a pathetic state, like in the
case of Joshua and Remington.

If the anime had finished with the deaths of Rosette
and Chrno, and Azmaria leaving flowers at their grave,
it would have been a really nice ending, but no, they
HAD to put that awful scene at the Vatican, and that
part about Sister Kate actually asking if Rosette was
going to go to hell, etc. Geeze. What a way to spoil
things. The manga ending's fine, though. I'm actually
translating the last chapters of the manga, so if
you're interested in reading them, just tell me...

Love,
Vero-chan

Me me, Veno-chan!
I really wanna know how the manga ends! Coz seriously, the anime really sucked! X_X I was expecting so much more from it! I didn't mind deaths, but the Vatican thing, just plain ridiculous!

Please please and oh just please tell me how the manga is like! X__X

OOC: wtf!? glad I didn't bother investing in the anime yet, allthat money just to see a hopelessly depressing ending, I think not. Adonai curse the fools who blasphemed the story like that!

I agree! Life is depressing enough I don't need my anime to be.

Aye, I think us people who have seen the ending exaggerated it a bit too much. No, it's not THAT bad, just quite deviating from what we SHOULD all be expecting! ^^;;; But a sad ending was predicted when the old watch/contract between Chrno and Rosette was introduced.

Please don't miss it even though we've already told you it, it's very disrespectful (is that how you spell it?) to the manga-ka himself, and really, it's not that bad as we have been talking about.

You know, sometimes we just have to exaggerate stuff to make things more interesting! ^^;;; Go ahead and watch it, it's no harm right? If you don't want to buy it, then go download the torrent! ^^

sebtek@a...:
> OOC: wtf!? glad I didn't bother investing in the
> anime yet, allthat money just to see a hopelessly
> depressing ending, I think not. Adonai curse the
> fools who blasphemed the story like that!

ALELUYAH!!! Well said!!! *cheers* ^_^

Yes, that's what many people are thinking right now
(me included, of course). I had been a fan of the
manga for almost 2 years before the anime came out,
and to see the story I like so much being turned into
an apocalyptic, depressing hell-ride, simply sucks big
time. I don't know if I ever be able to forgive those
Gonzo animators for turning Rosette, my favorite
female character, from being a strong-willed,
optimistic, stubborn girl in the manga, into being a
pathetic doll at the service of her worse enemy (Aion)
in the anime. GEEZ!!! And what's that trash about
Rosette having the stigmata, and being able to shoot
blood at will? *angry*

Plus, the ending of the anime has made several people
in the CC forum try to break their heads making all
sorts of theories as to what actually happened in the
end, each theory being more and more dark as more time
passes... and if you're Catholic, like me, the ending
will leave you wanting to pelt Aion with rotten eggs
before throwing him into an active volcano so he can
burn there forever. >_<

On a lighter note: I'm almost done translating Act 52
of the manga. I hope to have it finished by the
weekend. I'll keep everyone posted!!! ^_^

Last Exile
16th June 2004, 07:44 PM
My personal comments:

Yeah, just from Volume 1, it's clear there are some major differences between the anime and the manga.

Well, I'll say this, because I must: WHY THE SUPRIRSE ABOUT A GLOOMY ENDING?!

To me, after epsiode 4, I was just about certain that Rosette and Chrno would both die in the last episode. Otherwise there's no point to the soul-sucking contract globe thingy. Rosette was always meant to be a tragic hero. Chrno's very existence was tragic. Tragedy was the only place it could truly go! Why are people so shocked and upset?! Did they honestly expect a happy ending, or are they just naive?! Obviously, set just before the Great Depression and World War II, the ending had to be tragic to follow the timeline.

However, I am a little surprised to note what happened to Aion in the end is very different in the manga and the anime. He dies in the manga yet lives in the anime?! That just seems very weird. I need to see the last three episode before I can truly comment on this.

I'm wondering about these comments: Did Aion really win in the anime version? Didn't he need Rosette to complete his master plan? Didn't he want to liberate demons and make them a free race?

From the sound of the last episode, I think he ultimately failed. Demonkind was not liberated, Rosette did not join his side for eternity.

People are obviously ticked about how it ended, but hey, bad things happen and plenty of people have miserable endings to their life. It's a fact.

On a more philosophical/theological note, I think some bits of the ending sound right. Rosette and Chrno died in each others' arms - could there really be a better ending? Our tragic heroes escape the pain and pass on to a better place, at each other's side for eternity. I consider it poetic. It reminds me of the ending to Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Sure, people were very upset that Arcueid died in Shiki's arms and that everyone else was left alone, but there was still a poetic touch. Shiki vowed to love Arcueid forever and to join her in eternity once he passed on. Arcuied returned the vow. Perhaps a sad ending but there was a sense of poeticness.

In terms of reality, I think the ending to Chrno Crusade was made the way it was to send a message. Humanity is treading a very dangerous path, one that looks like we will ultimately fall upon our own swords by 2100, unless something changes fast. It's a call to humainty, people. We are either goign to end up in a 3rd World War that will tear the world apart or we'll leech it of its resoruces and leave ourselves stranded without a chance of survival. The ending is trying to warn us that humanity is setting itself up for a scenario just like this, and that if we don't make some drastic changes soon, we will be our own worst enemy and destroy ourselves.

Also, the aftermath of the characters. It soudns like Azmaria was the only one that managed to pull herself together, find some hope/optimism and live on. I'm not surprised. COnsider the rest of the secondary characters:

Remington - he doomed Rosette and Chrno from the start. He could've done something, but he did NOTHING. He let things happen. Do you honestly think he'd be feeling anything other than guilt and regret?!

Joshua - He was supposed to save the world, but in the end he chose evil and hepled Aion achieve his ends and ruined the lvies of those he loved. C'mon, you think he's supposed to be feeling happy?!

What happened to Satella and Fiore, btw? I've seen no mention of them.

Okay, on to Azmaria. It's clear why she was the one to stay hopeful and move on. Azmraia was the one eprson who stayed true to her faith and to those she loved. Azmaria was the innocent one, one without sin, the shining light in a bleak world. It is appropriate that only she was able to move on.

Also, Azmaria is a symbol. A symbol of innocence, optimism, hope, youth and the future. The ending seems to eb saying that the new generation, through people like Azmaria, can save the world and bring prosperity and happiness back. Ultimately they did by preventing the Nazis from winning World War 2. Youth symoblism is a very powerful thing. That is the message. Thje youth are our hope for the future. It's a message for that point in time and for the modern world. Subtle, but it's there.

Perhaps the overall message is that good and evil never win. Bad thigns happen but life goes on. The eternal struggle crawls on forward, and humanity somehow survives.

The imagery in the final episode sounds great. I really want to see the ending now. Hopefully someone I know gets the last 3 ASAP and I can get them.

Well, gotta go. (under my name of course!) ;) I'd be interested to see what reaction people would have to this. They sound like the type fo people that would be ticked off by the Tsukihime ending as well. Considering I liked the Tsukihime ending very much, I think I'll feel the same way about Chrno Crusade.

Cheers,

Ryan Mendes aka Last Exile

Dark-San
16th June 2004, 09:01 PM
Sad ending? ~Meh I hate animes with sad endings! Anywayz tis has been expected by lots of animes freaks. Boy wish they really continue the story with a serial!

BTW Last Exile, are you able to find a bit torrent tracker that provides a link to either Full Metal Alchemist or Tenjou Tenge? 'Cause stupid mircx is down for a while down and I couldn't get their episodes! I'm also looking for Midori no Hibi's OP and ED!

squirtlemaster
17th June 2004, 01:37 AM
darkyouth, anime.mircx.com has been requested by ADV to remove all licensed torrents.

FMA subbed by aoi-anime (since no more ANBU-AKeep) can be found at:
http://www.reptilian.net/bt/

Roarkiller
17th June 2004, 08:56 AM
I havent watched a single ep of CC, but ill juz say my share.

IMO a sad ending w/ evil winning, tho it may not please many a fan, is definitely what is needed in the anime world nowadays IMO. Or rather, an ending thats not like every standard run-of-the-mill anime. Evil winning is a fresh change, and if the story and plot is excellent, then i dont see whats wrong with an unhappy ending. After all, not every story ends that way, its too unrealistic.

Dark-San
19th June 2004, 08:51 AM
Just finished watching the anime. I can only say one thing! It's touching~ The way Chrno and Rosettle die is so beautiful. They died a peaceful death under the sunset. They two were holding hands and I must say the only sucky thing about the anime is that Aion didn't die! Blah~ They better have a serial to this anime!

Last Exile
19th June 2004, 09:34 PM
Aion dies in the final manga volume but not in the anime. It's one of the changes GONZO made. My rationalisation is in the above post.

I should be able to get the last three episodes this week and see once and for all what really happened.

I think Darkyouth has understood some of the symoblism though. Thank god for that. ;)