PDA

View Full Version : Hoso vs AG

AKA Pokemon Fan
27th January 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Barbara LeMaster
Ash seems to rely more on the judgment of others like Brock or Misty rather than on his own experiences or intuition.
I believe this has been happening less and less often, starting in the Kanto League tournament Ash actually made it a point to battle without Misty and Brock's guidance. He does this quite a bit more in Johto, and AFAIK doesn't recieve much advice at all while battling in the Johto Tournament.

Ash is good at strategy but I wish he'd stop pulling out the Pokédex every time a Pokémon crosses his path.
This has understandably been misunderstood by many fans. "What's that?" and other such phrases don't mean Ash doesn't know what the Pokemon is. In many cases he'll hear the Pokemon's name or even say it himself before checking the dex. As seen during the episode with Proffessor Westwood the fifth, the pokedex is constantly being updated with new information, and as the Pokedex entry says something different almost every time Ash analyzes a Pokemon he has analyzed in the past, it is quite likely he is just looking to see if there is anything important about it that he didn't know.

Did it ever occur to you, Jonathan, that my previous post was what I wanted to see and not canon from the animé? Or did you just not get it? *sighs*
I'm afraid I don't get it, since at the end of your point about Misty you expressed the desire to see her become the strong Water Pokemon trainer she is inside. I merely said that in the future your hope is at least partially realized.

And Misty has been pretty confident (to the point of over-confidence) from day one. She openly challenged Ash for the Cascade Badge and has always identified herself as a Gym Leader.
Misty's confidence is sometimes a facade she wears to keep from showing how unconfident she may be. She had many fears about overcoming the challenges at the gym, to the point of having a dream sequence where she told a dream Ash and Brock that she couldn't do it by herself, that she needed their power.

She needs to develop a spine with an attached brain and stop being so ditzy, IMHO. She is obviously loving and brave, that much we all know.
We obviously have different tastes. What's wrong with characters having a funny quirk or two? Most all anime characters do (except the emotionless, emotion-challenged, or really evil characters). Be it Jet's love of Bonsai trees and Spike's various humorous antics in Cowboy Bebop, or Mistato's sometimes very ditzy behavior in Evangelion, it makes the characters more interesting. Most would find quite a few characters rather boring were it not for their quirks.

I don't love eccentric professors. Deal with it. I would have far more respect for the writers had they simply made him an intelligent person instead of making him the sort-of comic relief.
But one of my main points was that he is a serious, intelligent person just as much, if not more often, than he is an example of comedy relief.

Oh, give me a break. I've seen pretty much all of it. I will mention again, for your benefit, that my previous post which you insultingly ripped apart , was only an opinion. It's my notion of how the series should play or, rather, what I would like to see.
I made some effort to not be insulting, I'm sorry you still took it that way. My only agenda in replying was to point out the many ways I see the anime already doing, or have done, just what you expressed as wanting to see.

That doesn't make him a genius under any definition. Jessie has more of an aggressive, assertive personality than he does.
Not many are geniuses, I was merely giving some points as to why he is rather intelligent at least in some ways. And of course he's not as assurtive as Jessie, very few are, and I never recall saying I thought he was or should be. I simply pointed out that bravery in times of need is an aspect of his character that sometimes shows itself.

I love backstory. That is what I find disappointing about the animé: we often don't get all the information about the characters. That is also why I love fanfiction. ^^
Ahh... fanfiction... how I love thee (at least when they keep characters in character). Agreed the show needs more backstory but we are getting bits and pieces all the time. We just recently found out why Jessie and James wear white Team Rocket outfits (to think some fans thought they did because they were higher ranking than the black-suited Rockets), and the specials seem to be giving quite a bit of background as well. No idea where Misty's parents are yet but we do find out why she has been afraid of/hated Gyarados for the whole series.

What I find annoying (more so than being unrealistic) is Ash always having starter Pokémon. I wish he'd have kept Charizard and Pidgeot on his team. I seriously doubt that Pikachu would ever evolve, but I would like to see Cyndaquil and possibly Totodile evolve.
By "starter" do you mean first stage evolutions or the Starter Pokemon you get in the game? Anyway, I would like them to evolve as well, but at least for a change Ash isn't getting all three RS starters in Advance Generation.

In Japan, yes. But not in the US or other western countries. Witness the quick death of the 4th movie at the box office. I strongly suspect that Ru/Sa will be the 'last hurrah' of the franchise. The aging fanbase (except you, of course ;) ) is dwindling and new fans aren't forthcoming.
This may not be true. Certainly Pokemon isn't as popular here as it was, but it remains a good selling game, and the anime is still the only exceeded by Yugioh in ratings on KidsWB, and last I heard the gap between them was narrowing. The main reason for Pokemon 4ever's failure was due to extremely poor advertising. Quite a few people on various message boards didn't even know it was out until it was gone and they're Pokemon fans!

I dont' see them planning any barbeques for the coming months, either. They are not going to become friends immediately, IMO. Gary verbally abused Ash during the first couple of seasons and I'm sure Ash still remembers those taunts. Gary and Ash respect each other as trainers, but I don't see any deep friendship just yet.
Perhaps its not an extremely deep friendship but I can't see why you would think they aren't friends and only respect each other. Ash isn't the type to hold grudges, heck he tried to comfort Gary after his loss way back in the Kanto League. They still taunt and dare each other but its not in the insulting manner it was like in the first season, more of the friendly competing attitude so many game players have in real life.

BenRG
Yes, Ash and Gary do seem to largely make up by the end of the show (I refuse to accept Advance Generation as anything other than an extensive marketing campaign. It is not part of the animé canon).
What makes you say this when Advance Generation has already added to and explained more of the past plot than most of the other seasons put together? Brock's mom, his siblings names, Misty's past fears, a second appearence by Ho-oh etc.

Simply disliking that certain characters aren't in the spotlight anymore is hardly reason to decide its not cannon, which from previous messages seems to be what you are doing, my apologies if you aren't. If anything the anime is getting better, puting old characters in new roles, putting more emphasis on other characters (i.e a Brock and already TWO Misty specials) and adding new characters very different from what we've had in the past (i.e there's never been a young kid in the group with that much knowledge, let alone a real sibling relationship, nor a trainer as much of a novice as Haruka).

However, the rivalry really continued in its' most bitter form until the Silver Convention. It was never explained and never really developed. They just suddenly dropped it. And Ash being a good sport does not make Gary any less of an arch-rival.
How did they just suddenly drop it? They explained how the rivalry all got started when they were very young, and never really ended it. Ash defeated Gary in a fair battle, so Gary naturally is going to cool down on being a rival for awhile until he improves to the point where he feels he's ready to enter the big battles again. Gary after all doesn't intend to never train again AFAIK. It was my impression his studies are simply a "break."

Kaz-Ohki
27th January 2003, 12:23 PM
The episodes where Brock/Misty returned to their respective Gyms, though in the Timeline of AG, are not part of the series itself. As far as I'm aware, they're part of Hoso.

AKA Pokemon Fan
27th January 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kaz-Ohki
The episodes where Brock/Misty returned to their respective Gyms, though in the Timeline of AG, are not part of the series itself. As far as I'm aware, they're part of Hoso.
What do you mean by this? The Brock Special especially effected the main series (explaining why he only has Forretress, showing him leave for Hoenn) and came before the episode where Brock rejoined the group. So how can they not be part of the timeline?

And apologies but I'm afraid I'm not anime literate enough yet to remember what Hoso means.

BenRG
27th January 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
What makes you say this when Advance Generation has already added to and explained more of the past plot than most of the other seasons put together? Brock's mom, his siblings names, Misty's past fears, a second appearence by Ho-oh etc. Actually, and I can't emphasise this enough, most of the character stories that you refer to have nothing to do with Advance Generation. :no: Advance Generation is the show with Ash, Haruka, et al. The Misty and Brock stories are in Pokémon Hoso. Not only is that a seperate series but, given the complexities and time it takes to produce an episode of any cartoon/animé, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a mostly different production team.

Advance Generation itself is very much 'Pokémon the Reset Button'. They have attempted to regain the popularity of previous seasons by starting Ash from the beginning again. I can't support this policy, personally. There is no reason why, instead of this lengthy and rather irrelevant seperation, they could not have had all the same revelations, just as well presented, in the main show.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that AG has its' merits. However, IMHO, all that they have done with their strategy for Advance Generation is put back the progress of the main story and the development of the main characters and their interactions anything up to two seasons by having this detour. :yes:

Barbara LeMaster
27th January 2003, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
This has understandably been misunderstood by many fans. "What's that?" and other such phrases don't mean Ash doesn't know what the Pokemon is. In many cases he'll hear the Pokemon's name or even say it himself before checking the dex. As seen during the episode with Proffessor Westwood the fifth, the pokedex is constantly being updated with new information, and as the Pokedex entry says something different almost every time Ash analyzes a Pokemon he has analyzed in the past, it is quite likely he is just looking to see if there is anything important about it that he didn't know.

It could also be a writer's device. I suspect that this is done primarily for the benefit of newer fans. Please do not presume to explain the animé to me. I can figure it out for myself. And as I stated before, my post was comprised of entirely my opinions. You don't have to like them or agree with them.

I'm afraid I don't get it, since at the end of your point about Misty you expressed the desire to see her become the strong Water Pokemon trainer she is inside. I merely said that in the future your hope is at least partially realized.

In the future? I had always assumed that she was full Gym Leader at Cerulean City. I would like to see her engage in more battles, though. The episodes set in the Whirl Islands (where she and Ash face-off) were terrific.

We obviously have different tastes. What's wrong with characters having a funny quirk or two?

Nothing I suppose, but I would rather see Professor Oak as sober and wise and have Brock or TR as the comic relief.

Not many are geniuses, I was merely giving some points as to why he is rather intelligent at least in some ways. And of course he's not as assurtive as Jessie, very few are, and I never recall saying I thought he was or should be. I simply pointed out that bravery in times of need is an aspect of his character that sometimes shows itself.

I think James' best quality is his loyalty. I'm speaking primarily of his loyalty to Jessie and Meowth, and not necessarily to TR, although all three are constantly striving to impress Giovanni.

Ahh... fanfiction... how I love thee (at least when they keep characters in character). Agreed the show needs more backstory but we are getting bits and pieces all the time. We just recently found out why Jessie and James wear white Team Rocket outfits (to think some fans thought they did because they were higher ranking than the black-suited Rockets), and the specials seem to be giving quite a bit of background as well. No idea where Misty's parents are yet but we do find out why she has been afraid of/hated Gyarados for the whole series.

I'm sorry to hear Misty is afraid of Gyarados; I would love for her to capture one. As far as the TR hierarchy goes, I have heard it explained thusly: grey uniforms (low-level agents, cannon fodder, etc); white uniforms (special agents); black uniforms (elite agents). I seem to remember Butch and Cassidy wearing black uniforms and telling Jessie and James that they were "on the same team, but in different leagues." That seemed to indicate that B & C (and by extension, Domino) had a higher rank.

By "starter" do you mean first stage evolutions or the Starter Pokemon you get in the game? Anyway, I would like them to evolve as well, but at least for a change Ash isn't getting all three RS starters in Advance Generation.

First stage evolutions. Ash is a league champion (having won the Orange Island Championships) and yet has only a few fully evolved Pokémon, including Charizard. He left Pidgeot in Pallet Town. I guess this is due to the fact that Ash is supposed to represent "everyone". He did have all the starters in Kanto and Johto, so in this respect the animé does follow the games.

This may not be true. Certainly Pokemon isn't as popular here as it was, but it remains a good selling game, and the anime is still the only exceeded by Yugioh in ratings on KidsWB, and last I heard the gap between them was narrowing. The main reason for Pokemon 4ever's failure was due to extremely poor advertising. Quite a few people on various message boards didn't even know it was out until it was gone and they're Pokemon fans!

I have a real problem with Miramax on this one. They claimed that they wanted to reinvigorate the franchise and they also claimed that they would successfully market the film. I only knew about it from one television ad which played the week the film opened, and then from reading the review in the local paper. When I saw the film (playing at one theater in my county), the theater was half-full.

According to what I read in a magazine, the ratings for the animé remain high on KidsWB. The Cartoon Network has been rerunning the Kanto episodes weeknights at 9 p.m.

Perhaps its not an extremely deep friendship but I can't see why you would think they aren't friends and only respect each other.

I'm not exactly sure if Ash even wants Gary as a friend. I think it's respect that might morph into friendship, but I doubt it only because their lives are taking such diverse turns: Ash going to Houen to continue his quest and Gary changing goals and becoming a researcher and possibly a professor.

Ash isn't the type to hold grudges, heck he tried to comfort Gary after his loss way back in the Kanto League. They still taunt and dare each other but its not in the insulting manner it was like in the first season, more of the friendly competing attitude so many game players have in real life.

I think Gary has matured somewhat since his defeat in Kanto, as has Ash. I just feel that as they grow up, they will grow apart. It happens sometimes. I really can't think of any reasons for them to be close friends.

Murgatroyd
27th January 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Barbara LeMaster
As far as the TR hierarchy goes, I have heard it explained thusly: grey uniforms (low-level agents, cannon fodder, etc); white uniforms (special agents); black uniforms (elite agents). I seem to remember Butch and Cassidy wearing black uniforms and telling Jessie and James that they were "on the same team, but in different leagues." That seemed to indicate that B & C (and by extension, Domino) had a higher rank.

That's a fan creation, with no basis in canon.

The cannon fodder members wear a standard black uniform. This has been made clear many times.
B&C, 009 Domino, and Miyamoto (Jessie's mother) all wore a different style of black uniform.
Bashou and Buson, special agents (and clearly rather high in rank) in the Raikou Special wore grey.
Bishasu... well, he's a top executive and can probably wear whatever he damn well pleases.
Jessie and James are, so far as I know, the only agents who wear white. This is supported by the Delibird episode.

My theory is that agents above a certain level can design their own uniforms (within certain guidelines, of course).

Rei_Zero
28th January 2003, 12:38 AM
Obvioulsy, James and Jessie once belonged in a higher rank so they must have designed their own. As for Ash and Gary friendship, everytime we see Gary again Ash and Gary seem to respect eachother more. If you are talking about how respect might mold into friendship then I would say that it would finish molding itself by the end of Johto.

BenRG
28th January 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
Obvioulsy, James and Jessie once belonged in a higher rank so they must have designed their own. I have always understood that, pre-episode 2, Jessie, James and Meowth were quite the high-fliers in Team Rocket, maybe amongst the organisation's best agents. That would explain why Giovanni has let them get away with wearing a custom uniform.

AKA Pokemon Fan
30th January 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BenRG
[B]Actually, and I can't emphasise this enough, most of the character stories that you refer to have nothing to do with Advance Generation. :no: Advance Generation is the show with Ash, Haruka, et al. The Misty and Brock stories are in Pokémon Hoso. Not only is that a seperate series but, given the complexities and time it takes to produce an episode of any cartoon/animé, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a mostly different production team.
I still don't understand why you say they are different series. Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo are different series, but these "specials" occur in the same time frame as AG and effect AG's plot (i.e Brock returning and having only Forretress with him). Why can't the the series be regarded as simply branching out and becoming more varied?

I have always understood that, pre-episode 2, Jessie, James and Meowth were quite the high-fliers in Team Rocket, maybe amongst the organisation's best agents. That would explain why Giovanni has let them get away with wearing a custom uniform.
Later episodes, flashbacks and so on have given me no reason to believe Jessie and James were ever more than quite low level Rockets. Meowth was Giovanni's favorite pet for a while but the novelty of his ability to talk quickly wore off.

As for why Jessie, James and Meowth get away with so much I would say its mostly due to the fact that Giovanni is too busy trying to get back ewtwo, capture some Legendary Pokemon, take over the world, run his huge organization, and now to top it all off deal with a severe member shortage, to worry much at all about the trio. Besides, keeping them on the team gives him the ability to make them suffer food and money shortages.

The Delibird episode makes it quite clear that NO Rocket uniform is made white. So while it may be fine for Jessie and James to wear them, they don't reflect rank. As I recall *SPOILERS* Jessie and James become very excited when they enter Hoenn because since they're the only Team Rocket members there they are now the highest ranking Rockets in the region!:rolleyes:

Barbara LeMaster
30th January 2003, 09:45 PM
Why can't the the series be regarded as simply branching out and becoming more varied?

The animé seems to be more of a spinoff than a continuation. Many prime-time shows introduced characters which then got spun off into their own shows (Cheers and Frasier, for example; All in the Family and The Jeffersons). Ash is a recurring character, but Haruka and almost everything else in AG is brand-spanking-new.

As far as TR is concerned, in the second episode, there is a public service announcement made in Viridian City that Pokémon thieves have been spotted in the area. As far as I can remember, no other city has announced TR's presence like this. It made me think that they were notorious and probably successful at their earlier life of crime. However, since making Ash and Pikachu their mission in life, they seem to have declined substantially in their criminal activities.

Rei_Zero
30th January 2003, 11:55 PM
Spinoffs/speicals can still affect the main series though, especially when the spinoffs/specials are so closely linked to the main series. You can't deny the fact that Brock's special wasn't important because it obviously explains many things for the main series. This is my evidence for how closely linked pokemon's special and its main series are.

BenRG
31st January 2003, 09:12 AM
I think I should try and express myself as clearly as possible. I am not suggesting that Advance Generation is an alternate universe story. However, as Barbara said, its' links with the first five seasons are tenuous and don't go much beyond having the characters of Ash and Brock in the story.

As for regarding AG and Hoso as seperate series, they are seperate series at all levels except probably the highest level of the production teams. TV series, live or animated, take an enormous amount of time and manpower to produce, AKAPF. It just isn't possible for the same team to produce two active series at the same time. :no: It is logical to assume that most of the day-to-day work (and, likely, the long-term strategies) are dealt with by different departments at Medianet. So, the people who put in all the character specials in Hoso are not the people in charge of the direction of AG, the main series.

Kaz-Ohki
31st January 2003, 09:48 AM
I'll make it even simpler than that for you, Ben.

In Japan, once a series changes it's name, it is NOT part of the previous series. The most famous example of this is DragonballZ.

Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation is NOT the same as Pocket Monsters, just as Pocket Monsters: Hoso is not the same series as Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation.

Can we please now get back on topic?

SeraphMuyothree
31st January 2003, 05:17 PM
Back on topic...
Yes.
Good enough? =D

Murgatroyd
31st January 2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BenRG
As for regarding AG and Hoso as seperate series, they are seperate series at all levels except probably the highest level of the production teams. TV series, live or animated, take an enormous amount of time and manpower to produce, AKAPF. It just isn't possible for the same team to produce two active series at the same time. :no: It is logical to assume that most of the day-to-day work (and, likely, the long-term strategies) are dealt with by different departments at Medianet. So, the people who put in all the character specials in Hoso are not the people in charge of the direction of AG, the main series.

An interesting claim. Looking at the episode list at Palette, there doesn't seem to be much to substantiate it. From the entries in the columns for "script", "storyboard", "producer", and "director", it seems that the same people work on both programs.

Kaz, if you want, we could split this discussion off into a new thread, and move it to the main anime discussion forum.

Light_Togetic
2nd February 2003, 02:58 PM
Well, IMO, Hoso is just like the watching the actual show; regardless of the fact that it isn't shown at the same time or with Ash. Who cares about whether it happens at the same time as Ash and co. in Houen? I think of it as the show... just without Ash and the others in Houen.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd February 2003, 03:03 PM
Here's what I think of it.

I think that Pocket Monsters contains the Advance League in it too, because ultimately, it is. I think Pokemon Hoso, however, is another show that features Pokemon and the characters from the main show.

In fact, I believe Hoso is a spinoff of Pokemon. Hoso has characters who have already appeared on the show, and Advance has new Pokemon and people on the show.

Raikou15
2nd February 2003, 08:48 PM
Could somebody please, pretty, pretty please fill me in on this whole "hoso" thingie? what is it? a new series? aaaarrrggghhh.....

Totodilemew
2nd February 2003, 09:41 PM
Pokémon Hoso is a show where they show specials. Things that occur during the AG timeline, but not exactly part of the show. This was explained earlier by someone else.

Mew2Too
3rd February 2003, 05:00 PM
Murgy-kun, shall you give them no answer to their working little brains?

Hoso is a clipshow. You know, a "Best of --" show. It is just Kasumi and Takeshi standing around in funny outfits doin' their Bob Saggot as they introduce the next set of clips.

As of recent, it has been the medium for doing past-character specials. Whether or not the producers intended this at first is unclear.

Soonansu! And that's the facts.

Note on TR: Someday, they will become the greatest in the team. All they have to do is win enough battles against TA and TM, and they will once again win Gio's favor.

Light_Togetic
3rd February 2003, 05:27 PM
Hmm... good point Mew2Too! Well, I guess perhaps those of us referring to the specials on Hoso should refer to them as "the specials on Hoso" and not just as "Hoso". So, to make my previous opinion clearer:

Personally, I consider the specials on Hoso part of the storyline, they're just not with Ash and co. Quite frankly, Ash can get on my nerves sometimes:rolleyes:, so it would be nice to have an episode or five without him in them. The part of Hoso with the clips from previous shows... well, I really don't care about it.

Pidgeot018
3rd February 2003, 05:41 PM
I have a question. Why do Japanese shows tend to have a good number of clip shows in their their series? In the U.S. clip shows are generally seen as cop-outs by viewers (although The Simpsons seems to be the only show that aknowledges this view). Are reruns less common in Japan as they are on U.S. television? And what exactly doe sthe word "Hoso" mean anway? If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hanada Tattsu
3rd February 2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Pidgeot018
I have a question. Why do Japanese shows tend to have a good number of clip shows in their their series? In the U.S. clip shows are generally seen as cop-outs by viewers (although The Simpsons seems to be the only show that aknowledges this view). Are reruns less common in Japan as they are on U.S. television? And what exactly doe sthe word "Hoso" mean anway? If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can answer one of your questions, Japan doesn't get a lot of reruns for anime, or at least for Pokemon. I mean, before Hoso was aired on Tuesdays, that day was for reruns only, and even then, they aired all the episodes in order, once. Thursday was for new episodes, and Tuesday for reruns.

I like this, because new viewers can get hooked on Tuesday, and then watch what happens some episodes later on Thursday.

Now, occasionaly on Tuesdays, Pokemon Hoso is aired, but for the most part, there are new episodes.