PDA

View Full Version : The Official Dub Title Pun Explanation Thread

Pewter City Geodude
22nd June 2004, 11:09 AM
A new idea for a thread I just had...this would be especially helpful for those on the forums whose native language is something other than English, but for anyone, really.

Often, any given dub title is composed of some sort of pun or play on words. Since we're currently in the Advance Generation season, I'll just list those titles and explanations. But if there's a title from a previous episode you don't understand, feel free to ask about it here. You may be able to insert the proper word (for example, whale instead of Wailord in Having a Wailord of a Time!), but maybe you're not sure what the expression itself means. That's why I made this thread. So here we go:

AG01 Get the Show on the Road!
An old cliche, pretty much word-for-word. It just means "get the show started".

AG02 A Ruin With a View
From "a room with a view"...a common expression from...something. :p

AG03 There's No Place Like Hoenn
A line of an age-old song (or is it a poem?) goes, "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home."

AG04 You Can Never Taillow!
From "you can never tell". Simple as that.

AG05 In the Knicker of Time!
From an old expression, "in the nick of time", meaning "just in time".

AG06 A Poached Ego!
From "a poached egg"...a play on words, because "poached" has two meanings: illegally hunted, and an egg cooked in a certain way.

AG07 Tree's a Crowd
From the old cliche, "three's a crowd".

AG08 A Tail With a Twist
From "a tale with a twist", "tale" of course meaning "story".

AG09 Taming of the Shroomish!
There was an old play or something entitled "Taming of the Shrew".

AG10 You Said a Mouthful!
An old expression...it means a lot was said at once, or said very quickly, or something like that.

AG11 A Bite to Remember
From "a night to remember", but I'm not sure exactly where that comes from.

AG12 The Lotad Lowdown
Nothing special, just some alliteration.

AG13 All Things Bright and Beautifly!
From the song/poem/book (not sure which...some piece of work) called "All Things Bright and Beautiful".

AG14 All in a Day's Wurmple!
From the old expression "all in a day's work", which just means something was normal or routine.

AG15 Gonna Rule the School!
Not sure if this comes from anything specific...

AG16 Winner by a Nosepass!
From the old cliche, "winner by a nose", which means the winner of whatever it was just barely won.

AG17 Stairway to Devon
There was an old song or something called "Stairway to Heaven". Devon rhymes, of course.

AG18 On a Wingull and a Prayer!
From the old saying "on a wing and a prayer", which people usually use to mean "relying on luck/hope/circumstance".

AG19 Sharpedo Attack!
"Shark Attack!" has probably been the title of many things.

AG20 Brave the Wave
Nothing special, just another rhyming title.

AG21 Which Wurmple is Which?
Adapted from the Japanese title, "Wurmple vs Wurmple! Which is Which?" A rare dub title that's actually similar to its Japanese counterpart.

AG22 A Hole Lotta Trouble!
A misspelling of "a whole lot of trouble". Self-explanatory.

AG23 Gone Corphishin'
"Gone fishing." Enough said.

AG24 A Corphish Out of Water!
I think "a fish out of water" is a metaphor used for someone who is in an unfamiliar situation.

AG25 A Mudkip Mission!
More alliteration, nothing special.

AG26 Turning Over a Nuzleaf!
From the old cliche, "turning over a new leaf"...meaning something like "starting over" or "turning one's life around" or "completely changing one's personality or particular personality trait"...something like that.

AG27 A Three Team Scheme!
Just another rhyming title.

AG28 Seeing is Believing!
An old cliche, pretty much self-explanatory IMO.

AG29 Ready, Willing, and Sableye!
From the old cliche "ready, willing, and able". Self-explanatory.

AG30 A Meditite Fight!
Another rhymer.

AG31 Just One of the Geysers
"Just one of the guys." Self-explanatory I guess.

AG32 Abandon Ship!
A well-known last order given by a captain or something when there's no hope of saving their ship.

AG33 Now That's Flower Power!
Probably from something back in the 60s or 70s, not sure exactly what.

AG34 Having a Wailord of a Time!
From "having a whale of a time", an old cliche simply meaning "having a really great time".

AG35 Win, Lose, or Drew!
There was once a game show called "Win, Lose, or Draw".

AG36 The Spheal of Approval
"The seal of approval." Self-explanatory IMO.

AG37 Jump for Joy!
Nothing special, self-explanatory.

AG38 A Different Kind of Misty!
Not only is Misty a name, it's also an adjective. The title was referring to the foggy conditions in the episode.

AG39 A Pokeblock Party!
Nothing special here.

dark_myuutwo
22nd June 2004, 01:51 PM
AG09 Taming of the Shroomish!
There was an old play or something entitled "Taming of the Shrew".

I think you're referring to that Shakespeare play the movie "10 Things I Hate About You" is based. Sorry I'm not much help, but those who know what I am referring to will know what I am talking about

The Blue Avenger
22nd June 2004, 02:36 PM
You said you couldn't think of what there was for "Gonna Rule The School"... It is another rhymer. Nothing more.
Also, "All Things Bright and Beautifly" is from a prayer/hymn that used that phrase. James Harriet (I think) wrote a series of memoirs using lines from said prayer/hymn.

Zak
22nd June 2004, 02:50 PM
[quote]AG39 A Pokeblock Party!
Nothing special here.[quote]

Actually it's a pun on a "Block Party". Doesn't your neighborhood have one of those, you know, parties for a neighborhood at someone's house? Like family get-togethers.

Anyway, while we're at it I might as well explain the Johto puns:

119: Don't Touch That 'Dile - "Don't Touch That Dial" I think it might be a famous line from a spy movie or something, but its a classic line in technology.

120: The Double Trouble Header - "Double Header" plus a bit of excitement :rolleyes:

121: A Sappy Ending - "Happy ending".

122: Roll On, Pokemon - Not sure if there is a famous line with "Roll On, ___", but if not that then just a rhyme.

123: Illusion Confusion - Another rhyme.

124: Flower Power - Rhyme.

125: Spinarak Attack - Teh rhyme.

126: Snubbull (misspelled "Snubble") Snobbery - Alliteration.

127: The Little Big Horn - The famous "Little Bighorn" of the Rocky Mountains.

128: A Chikorita Rescue - Not sure if this just a good title to do with the plot, or a pun. Anyone care to enlighten me?

129: Once in a Blue Moon - Self explanatory expression word for word.

130: The Whistle Stop - If anyone knows this one, let me know.

131: Ignorance is Blissey - "Ignorance is bliss".

132: A Bout With Sprout - Not sure if this is a pun, but as far as I know its just a rhyme.

133: Fighting Flyer With Fire - "Fire With Fire".

134: For Crying Out Loud - Word for word expression.

135: Tanks a Lot - "Thanks a lot"

136: Charizard's Burning Ambition - Charizard has a goal, i.e. a "Burning Ambition". Pun with the burning.

137: Grin to Win - Yet another rhyme.

138: Chikorita's Big Upset - Dunno if this is a pun, but its almost exactly like the Japanese name "Chikorita's Jealousy".

139: Foul Weather Friends - "Fair Weather Friends", but I'm not exactly sure where that comes from.

140: The Superhero Secret - More alliteration.

141: Mild N' Wooly - I think this is a word for word expression... if not, lemme know.

142: Wired for Battle - Self explanatory expression, nothing really special, obviously with the whole computer obsession "Wired" is the key word.

143: Good 'Quil Hunting - "Good Will Hunting", a movie.

144: Shadow of a Drought - "Shadow of a Doubt". The expression "Without a shadow of a doubt" means you're sure of something.

145: Going Apricorn - "Going Ape", basically means going crazy.

146: Getting the Bugs Out - I KNOW this is a pun on something, but I dunno what...

147: A Farfetch'd Tale - Simply play on "far-fetched", which to the lot of your knowledge means hard to believe.

148: Tracks of the Trade - Not sure if this is anything beyond alliteration.

149: The Fire-ring Squad - "Firing Squad".

150: No Big Woop - "No Big Whoop", meaning no big deal.

151: Tunnel Vision - Word for word expression, which I think means something negative, not sure.

152: Hour of the Houndour - Rhyme.

153: The Totodile Duel - If this is a pun or anything beyond a basic description, I'm in the dark.

154: Hot Matches - As in the matches you light.

155: Love Totodile Style - "Love American Style".

156: Fowl Play - "Foul Play", Baseball term.

157: Forest Grumps - "Forest Gump".

158: Psychic Sidekicks - Nothing more than a soundalike.

159: The Fortune Hunters - Pun on "Fortune Hunters" which actually means something else.

I'll post more later...

~Zak

The Blue Avenger
22nd June 2004, 02:56 PM
"139: Foul Weather Friends - "Fair Weather Friends", but I'm not exactly sure where that comes from." Fair weather friends are friends only when convenient, I think. "The Totodile Duel"- Dile sounds kinda like duel.
"151: Tunnel Vision - Word for word expression, which I think means something negative, not sure." Tunnel vision, I think, is when a person tends to only see what is in front of them, like in a tunnel. Whether this is physical or psychological, I don't know.
"148: Tracks of the Trade - Not sure if this is anything beyond alliteration." It's a play on "Tricks of the Trade", which means, I think, a certain trick you learned from doing a particular task, or trade.

Pewter City Geodude
22nd June 2004, 03:04 PM
Um, Zak goofed there. The title WAS "Tricks of the Trade".

Actually it's a pun on a "Block Party". Doesn't your neighborhood have one of those, you know, parties for a neighborhood at someone's house? Like family get-togethers.

Right, somebody mentioned that on SPP as well. Never thought of that, although I've heard the expression used. No, those don't happen here, since hardly anyone knows their neighbors here.

119: Don't Touch That 'Dile - "Don't Touch That Dial" I think it might be a famous line from a spy movie or something, but its a classic line in technology.

Yeah TV shows are famous for saying it when they don't want people to change channels during commercials. It's an old expression from before remotes were invented/became popular.

120: The Double Trouble Header - "Double Header" plus a bit of excitement :rolleyes:

Double Trouble (from Team Rocket's motto) + Double Header

130: The Whistle Stop - If anyone knows this one, let me know.

Something to do with trains, that's all I know.

133: Fighting Flyer With Fire - "Fire With Fire".

Or, more specifically, "Fighting Fire with Fire". Meaning, copying someone's strategy and using it against them.

156: Fowl Play - "Foul Play", Baseball term.

Actually, it's a police term...it means a crime was involved.

Chris 2.1
22nd June 2004, 03:05 PM
Zak - Don't touch that dial - isn't that what american TV hosts say when the break comes on? Something like that :-s

Chikorita Rescue is precisely that.

A Whistle Stop Tour is just a tour around somewhere, like a Whistle Stop Tour of the Uk would be with a tour group i think.

The Tricks of the trade - this means like...if you just started out in the Estate Agency, some guy might teach you the tricks of the trade, which could involve lying to enable the selling of a house. The Tricks of the Trade are things you learn by being in a trade for a long time.

I think Tunnel vision refers to when you have a sorta one-track mind, you only see straight ahead.

Other than that, I think they're all correct.

Also, in the UK I don't think we have 'Block Parties'. I've heard of them. though.

Zak
22nd June 2004, 03:45 PM
Whoops, sorry, I typoed ;o I meant Tricks of the Trade. Also thanks, now I remember where else I heard don't touch that dial! ^_^ Also, I guess I must have forgot the police term.

Anyway, feel free to correct these:

160: A Goldenrod Opportunity - "A Golden Opportunity".

161: A Dairy Tale Ending - Pun on "fairy tale".

162: Air Time - This means something else word for word, I think a schedule when things are to be broadcasted.

163: The Bug Stops Here - "The Buck Stops Here", famous American line. That's all I know.

164: Type Casting - Word for word, a film director's term for the method of choosing the cast.

165: Fossil Fools - "Fossil fuels", but I have no idea what it means.

166: Carrying On - Word for word, I think its either an expression or a name of a song.

167: Hassle in the Castle - Rhyming.

168: Two Hits and a Miss - Not sure about this one. The closest thing I can think of is "Four Weddings and a Funeral", or "Three men and a baby", but those are probably wrong.

169: A Hot Water Battle - "Hot Water Bottle".

170: Hook, Line, and Stinker - "Hook, Line, and Sinker".

171: Beauty and the Breeder - Disney's "Beauty and the Beast".

172: A Better Pill to Swallow - ???

173: Power Play - Alitteration, but I noticed this title is used for an episode in quite a lot of TV series.

174: Mountain Time - An American time zone.

175: Wobba-palooza - Self explanatory. For those who don't know "Palooza" is like a party, like Lalapalooza.

176: Imitation Confrontation - Rhymer.

177: The Trouble With Snubbull - I'm pretty sure this is just a rhyme, but I heard people compare it to "Trouble With Tribbles", but I highly doubt that. I've heard "Trouble With ___" in a lot of movies and books.

178: Ariados Amigos - Although a lot of foriegners probably know this one, I guess I'll explain it for the few who don't. "Adios Amigos", which is a common saying in many places which means "Goodbye friends" in Spanish.

179: Wings N' Things - Just rhyme?

180: The Grass Route - "Grass Root"?

181: The Apple Corps - "Apple Core"?

182: Houndoom's Special Delivery - Another pure pun-free explanation?

183: A Ghost of a Chance - Word for word means unlikely.

184: From Ghost to Ghost - "From Coast to Coast", used in broadcasting a lot.

185: Trouble's Brewing - Self explanatory. The "brewing" is a pun on the tea, since its a tea party.

186: All that Glitters - ...is not gold.

187: The Light Fantastic - ???

188: Unbearable - ...self explanatory-ish.

189: Moving Pictures - ???

190: Spring Fever - Word for word expression?

191: Freeze Frame - Photography term.

192: The Stolen Stones - Alliteration.

193: The Dunsparce Deception - More alliteration.

194: The Wayward Wobbuffet - Wow, three alliterations in a row? The dubbers must have been on crack...

195: Sick Daze - "Sick Days".

196: Ring Masters - Non-pun?

197: The Poke-Spokesman - soundalike.

198: Control Freak - SA.

199: The Art of Pokemon - Another non-pun?

200: The Heartbreak of Brock - Non-pun?

201: Current Events - Term meaning the latest news.

202: Turning Over a New Bayleef - Like Geodude said for AG26, "Turning Over a New Leaf".

203: Doing what comes Natu-rally - Just take away the dash.

204: The Great Balloon Blowup - Alliteration?

205: The Screen Actor's Guilt - ?

206: Right On, Rhydon - Homophone.

207: The Kecleon Caper - Alliteration, except just sounds.

208: The Joy of Water Pokemon - SA.

209: Got Miltank - "Got Milk?" Classic commercial line.

210: Fight For the Light - Rhyme.

211: Machoke, Machoke Man - "Macho Macho Man".

~Zak

Blackjack Gabbiani
22nd June 2004, 06:04 PM
"For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll" refers to the John Donne line "Ask not for whom the bells toll, they toll for thee", a statement refering to mortality.

The Blue Avenger
22nd June 2004, 07:24 PM
A ring master is the guy who is the emcee of a circus, I think. Moving Pictures is an old term for movies. Carrying on is an expression used to indicate that someone is going on and on about a topic.

Pewter City Geodude
22nd June 2004, 08:53 PM
And when an actor is "typecast", it means the general perception is that he can only play one particular role. Like how Reginald VelJohnson is typecast as a father and cop after playing Carl Winslow for so many seasons on Family Matters.

Zak
22nd June 2004, 10:02 PM
A ring master is the guy who is the emcee of a circus, I think.

I know, but I'm still confused and fail to understand why they named the episode that.

Anyway, some more...

212: Around the Whirlpool - "Around the World", classic phrase used in a lot of expressions like movies and books, and a yoyo trick.

213: Fly Me to the Moon - Old classic song.

214: Takin' in on the Chinchou - "Taking it by the chin"? I think, and if its right I think it means taking it slowly.

215: A Corsola Caper - Alliteration.

216: Mantine Overboard - "Man Overboard", which is a cry/command given by a captain of a ship when someone goes overboard, usually on accident during a storm.

217: Octillery the Outcast - Anything beyond Alliteration? I have a feeling there might be...

218: Dueling Heroes - Another punless good description.

219: The Perfect Match - I don't know what that's a name of, probably a book or a movie or just a common phrase. But looks like the dubbers are PokeShippers.

220: Plant it Now, Diglett Later - "...Dig it Later". At least I think...

221: Hi Ho Silver, Away - Captain or sailor's cry. They sure love the marines, don't they?

222: The Mystery is History - Rhymes.

223: A Parent Trapped - "The Parent Trap", great movie.

224: A Promise is a Promise - Punless description? At least, aside from the "A ___ is a ___".

225: Throwing in the Noctowl - "Throwing in the towel" - giving up.

226: Nerves of Steelix - "Nerves of Steel" - Very insensitive.

227: Bulbasaur the Ambassador - Semi-rhyme, other than that a decent description.

228: Espeon Not Included - Umm... "Batteries Not Included"?

229: For Ho-oh the Bells Toll - See above.

230: Extreme Pokemon - ??? (Possibly a flash at the Kanto two word titles which one of was "Pokemon").

231: An Egg-Sighting Adventure - "..EXciting.."

232: Hatching a Plan - Figure of speech for planning.

233: Dues and Don'ts - "Dos and Don'ts" - Basic ground rules.

234: Just Waiting on a Friend - ???

235: The Tyrogue Full of Trouble - Alliteration.

236: Xatu the Future - "Back to the Future", classic 20th century movie.

237: Talkin' About an Evolution - ??? (Darwin related?)

238: Rage of Innocence - ???

239: As Cold as Pryce - "Cold as Ice".

240: Nice Pryce Baby - "Ice Ice Baby", a song. Although every time I hear this title it makes me chuckle, cause it sounds like Pryce is involved in... something else.

241: Whichever Way the Wind Blows - ???

242: Some Like it Hot - Old line from nursery rhyme "Pease Porridge Hot".

243: Hocus Pokemon - "Hocus Pocus", standard magic words.

244: As Clear as Crystal - Another figure of speech meaning very clear and obvious.

245: Same Old Song and Dance - ???

246: Enlighten Up - "Lighten up!"

247: Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up - Okay, I will say this for all those of you who I remember thought this when the dub title of this one was first revealed. This is in *NO* way related to Eminem, apparently some people thought he coined the phrase "Will the real ____ please stand up". It's been used for a while in the 20th century.

248: Wish Upon a Star Shape - "Wish Upon a Star", Disney classic.

249: Outrageous Fortunes - ???

250: One Trick Phony - "One Trick Pony" I think, but I have no idea what that is.

251: I Politoed You So - Assuming you switch Politoed with "Told", but they sound nothing alike!

253: Beauty is Skin Deep - Expression for shallow people :P

254: Fangs for Nothin' - "Fangs" is Dracula's way of saying "Thanks".

255: Great Bowls of Fire - "Great Balls of Fire", a song.

256: Better Eight Than Never - "Better Late than Never", another expression.

257: Why, Wynaut - SA.

258: Just Add Water - Not sure where from, but it seems to be a classic line as I hear it used in many movies.

259: Lapras of Luxury - Anything beyond alliteration?

260: Hatch Me If You Can - "Catch me if You Can" as well as a movie, from the Gingerbread Man fairy tale.

261: Entei at Your Own Risk - ...Switch the "I" with an "R" in the first word. Yes, I'm starting to get lazy explaining.

262: A Crowning Achievement - I think its a figure of speech as it is.

263: Here's Lookin' at You, Elekid - "Here's Lookin' at you, kid", line from some Western film.

264: You're a Star, Larvitar - Rhymes.

265: Address Unown - "Address Unknown".

266: The Mother of all Battles - Horrible choice of expression given the outline of the episode itself, but "Mother of all ____" is used quite a lot to describe a superlative object.

267: Pop Goes the Sneasel - "Pop Goes the Weasel", old nursery rhyme.

268: A Claim to Flame - "A Claim to Fame"

269: Love, Pokemon Style - "Love, American Style" (Again!).

270: Tie One On - ???

271: The Ties That Bind - ???

272: Cant Beat the Heat - Rhyme.

273: Playing With Fire - Figure of speech used to describe messing with something you aren't supposed to.

274: Johto Photo Finish - ???

275: Gotta Catch You Later - Since we're so far into the series, might as well use a classic old Pokemon line-- "Gotta Catch 'em All!"

276: Hoenn Alone - "Home Alone", the classic Macaulie Culkin (sp?) movie.

Correct as you see fit.

~Zak

Blackjack Gabbiani
22nd June 2004, 11:14 PM
221: Hi Ho Silver, Away - Captain or sailor's cry. They sure love the marines, don't they?

What, you never heard of the Lone Ranger? His horse was named Silver, and that's what he said whenever he wanted to get the horse to go.

226: Nerves of Steelix - "Nerves of Steel" - Very insensitive.

How is that insensitive?

Beatles related more likely, from the phrase "So you say you want a revolution"

241: Whichever Way the Wind Blows - ???

To say that something is 'whichever way the wind blows' means that it's not specific

242: Some Like it Hot - Old line from nursery rhyme "Pease Porridge Hot".

Where do you connect the two? It's the title of a movie, but it also refers to sex (hey, we all knew the dubbers have dirty minds, right? *grin*)

247: Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up - Okay, I will say this for all those of you who I remember thought this when the dub title of this one was first revealed. This is in *NO* way related to Eminem, apparently some people thought he coined the phrase "Will the real ____ please stand up". It's been used for a while in the 20th century.

I don't know if it was coined by them or if they just made it popular, but there was a 50s game show that included that line.

248: Wish Upon a Star Shape - "Wish Upon a Star", Disney classic.

It was used before them, as wishing on a star was thought to bring good luck.

249: Outrageous Fortunes - ???

From Hamlet. "Or to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes..."

250: One Trick Phony - "One Trick Pony" I think, but I have no idea what that is.

It's basically someone who is popular for one thing, and can't seem to do much else.

258: Just Add Water - Not sure where from, but it seems to be a classic line as I hear it used in many movies.

Never made instant food? You just add water!

259: Lapras of Luxury - Anything beyond alliteration?

Living in the lap of luxury means that you're living the high life

270: Tie One On - ???

To tie one on is to have a drink

271: The Ties That Bind - ???

It usually refers to familial bonds

The Muffin Man
23rd June 2004, 02:43 AM
"For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll" refers to the John Donne line "Ask not for whom the bells toll, they toll for thee", a statement refering to mortality.

;) I like to think of it as from Metallicas "For whom the bell tolls".

Which is from the same thing anyway :P

Hi Ho Silver, Away was the Lone Rangers cry. Silver was his horse I think.

A Better Pill to Swallow - A bitter pill to swallow. Means something is really hard to believe. I.e Your mom telling you that your cats sleeping when it got hit by a car. Now you'd find it to be a bitter pill to swallow.

Nerves of Steelix - Nerves of Steel. Not insensitive, but tough, brave.

Talkin' Bout an Evolution - "Talkin' bout my generation" from a song...Rolling Stones, I think.

Same Old Song and Dance - Basically means they're trying to tell you the same excuse for something.

One trick phony - A "One trick pony" is someone who only does one thing good enough to get noticed, and is usually ignored once that's figured out.

Johto Photo Finish - A photo finish is a finish that's so close, you need photographic evidence to decide one way or the other.

Rage of Innocence - Age of Innocence. Either an era in time when people were less corrupted, or an age in your life where you're a child and don't know any better. Wasn't this the Rage Lake episode? It makes sense, since Gyarados isn't really EVIL...he's just angry, but for good reason.

Screen Actors Guilt - Screen Actors Guild. They have their own awards show and such.

Moving Pictures - Old name for movies before they were very big and still new technology.

Some like it hot - Means certain people like to purposely wait till the last minute because they like the pressure.

Pewter City Geodude
23rd June 2004, 02:01 PM
Some Like it Hot...Zak's right on this one IMO...

"Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot, nine days old
Some like it hot, some like it cold
Some like it in the pot, nine days old."

PAK Man
23rd June 2004, 10:03 PM

Actually, this title is based on a song by Tracy Chapman, "Talking About a Revolution."