PDA

View Full Version : A challenge to everyone

Last Exile
22nd June 2004, 07:02 PM
My challenge to you all:

Name one decent, current series that does not have a fair bit of fanservice in it. Can you do it? Because I can't!

Mewtwo-D2
22nd June 2004, 07:19 PM
I don't know how recent you're looking for, but Kaitou Saint Tail and Card Captor Sakura don't have fan service.

Hikaru
22nd June 2004, 07:21 PM
One Piece, Pocket Monsters

Animelee
22nd June 2004, 07:25 PM
Pocket Monsters [Pokémon] (Advanced Generation)
Gundam Wing
Sonic X
Hikaru no Go
Rockman EXE (Axess)
Bomberman Jetters <--- I haven't seen the whole series yet, though.
Patapata Hikousen no Bouken
Slam Dunk!

The Blue Avenger
22nd June 2004, 07:27 PM
Dunno if Kirby counts, but it doesn't seem fanservicey.

Animelee
22nd June 2004, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about:
Hoshi no Kirby
F-Zero Falcon Densetsu

The Blue Avenger
22nd June 2004, 07:46 PM
F-Zero? The one with Kate Alen and Jody Summer? Granted, I don't know if they look the same in the anime, but they still seem pretty fanservicey to me... Am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Last Exile
22nd June 2004, 08:01 PM
Card Captor Sakura - IS fanservice
Pokemon - It's there. it's called Prima, Ivy, Jesse moments, James's infamous episode, and Brock's behaviour in general.
Sonic X - Rogue is an epitome of fanservice.
Gundam Wing - Can't say exactly what isntances, btu 've seen it in it.
F-Zero - Mrs Arrow = fanservice. Jody Summer, Kate Alen and Princia aren't far behind.

As for Hikaru no Go, well, spiritual Chinese Checkers as a game...lovely.

I was looking for more like 2003-2004 series, but I gues I could accept 2001-2002.

Well, so far, my point is being proven. The most popular series of recent years all have a fair bit of fanservice.

I'm almost convinced my hypotehtical statement is true:

Fanservice is 9/10ths of anime

Animelee
22nd June 2004, 09:03 PM
If you're going to count Takeshi/Brock's behaviour as fanservice, you might as well count Arthur, from the show with the same name. He falls in love with his babysitter and acts all Takeshi-like for an entire episode. In Arthur, a PBS kids show, we also have his mom dress in two-piece bikinis all the time, as well as a French nanny, when they visit the beach in some episodes. If you consider stuff in Pokémon as fanservice, ya might as well consider stuff in Arthur as fanserive, too. ^^;

Kanna/Lorelei had big breasts, yes, but so does the maid in Sonic X. I guess they were trying to add some diversity to the show -- I've seen dark skinned, light skinned, fat, short, skinny, tall, ugly, cute, etc. people in Pokémon's 357 episodes (and specials/OVAs/movies). I bet if the character designers meant for her breasts to be fanservicey, they would've added some kind of jiggle to them, or an observational joke about them, but they didn't. I hope I don't sound hostile here, I'm just sharing my opinion.

I'm not sure about the other shows like F-Zero, but I am positive on Pokémon. I'm also trying my best to not look at it from a biased point of view, because I actually try to find fanservice in shows before I collect them (I don't collect things that aren't G-rated), even small signs, and I spent a few weeks backtracking through old Japanese episodes, making sure there weren't any bad jokes, or anything. I found nothing. :) The worst thing I found was Kojirou/James' bodysuit, but if someone considers that "service to fans", then they should re-think their sexual orientation.

Mewtwo-D2
22nd June 2004, 11:04 PM
The most fan-servicey moment in Gundam Wing is seeing Noin in a bathrobe, drying her hair. She's 100% covered.

There's also Vision of Escaflowne, where the most fan service you get is seeing a few gorgeous guys without shirts.

And I've been watching Card Captor Sakura (on ep 33) and I haven't seen any fan service...

SSJ Jup81
23rd June 2004, 01:13 AM
I can't think of anything recent either, but Naruto isn't too fanservicey imo. Detective Conan isn't either. .hack series really aren't either. Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu isn't fanservicy either. lol Okay, that probably really doesn't count. It's not really "recent."

My mind is blank, so I'll stick with .hack and Naruto for my "recent" shows that aren't too fanservicy.

pokeguy76
23rd June 2004, 01:32 PM
I don't think there IS a series without fanservice.
Because fanservice is just another way for the producers to get MoneyMoneyMoney in their pockts

Hikaru
23rd June 2004, 04:02 PM
Your definition of fanservice is simply any cleavage whatsoever, which is silly. If you're going to have a very puritanical interpretation of the word, then you need to find a show with ALL guys, with no girls in any episode, no flashbacks or dreams about girls, etc.

Last Exile
23rd June 2004, 06:41 PM
I said a fair amount/regular fanservice. Not just any one-off cases. Sorry if that was unclear.

I was about to say Last Exile, but then I remembered those corsets and how far up and forward they pushed the breasts up. So that one's out.

How could women stand to wear corsets?! They look uncomfortable as hell!

The Muffin Man
24th June 2004, 01:40 AM
For a guy with a sig like yours, you seem to have something against fanservice...

Isn't that like Hitler saying someones being 'kind of mean'?

Last Exile
24th June 2004, 05:36 AM
Um, I never said I had something agaisnt fanservice in total. There is a point where fanservice becomes excessive.

My point being, fanservice is now a staple in all the current animes. I think that's taken in too far. Thus proving my point.

Razola
24th June 2004, 10:17 AM
Samurai Pizza Cats

The Muffin Man
24th June 2004, 10:59 AM
Samurai Pizza Cats

The threads over. Raz wins. For mentioning the BEST GODDAMN ANIME EVER AND finding one without Fanservice.

EVme15
24th June 2004, 06:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a bit old to be recent, neh?
Or is it?
And this isn't Misc. You don't win a topic with one post. Besides, there can be more than one, can't there CCC? ;)

I back up Naruto 150%
Another one, though I'm not sure if it's recent enough, is Shaman King. That was 2001, if memory serves.
So was Angelic Layer, if you don't think the Angels are fanservice? :rolleyes:
Kino's Journey. I can't dig up a date for that one, but it has no fanservice period at least in the first few episodes, and I'm quite sure it's recent.
I think I had more, but that's all I remember right now.

Last Exile
24th June 2004, 06:20 PM
Evme15 wins the challenge. ;)

1. She named more than one (Kino's Travels, Angelic Layer, and possibly Naruto)
2. She named RECENT ones.

Raz doesn't win for naming something from 10-15 years ago. ;)

Razola
24th June 2004, 10:11 PM
Samurai Pizza Cats is timeless. It has no beginning nor end, thus is always fresh but also a legendary classic at the same time.

Roarkiller
25th June 2004, 10:38 AM
CCS has no fanservice. Juz lotsa crazy relationships of every sort and Sakura in hanyan mode and going "Hoe?" all the time.

But that aint recent, so meh. I havent seen much recent anime, but i guess PA has sparse fanservice, tho the few that does pop up is more than a bit excessive.