PDA

View Full Version : Electric Soldier Porygon danger - False?

The Muffin Man
23rd June 2004, 01:47 AM
According to Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/seizure.htm) which is a relatively reliable site, the whole "Seizure episode" thing was false.

Anyone have any opinions? I personally watched the clip maximized, and didn't have much more than a slight headache, but that's pretty normal for me seeing BRIGHT FREAKING LIGHTS AT 3:00 IN THE MORNING >.<;; (No it's not a mild seizure. It happens when I turn on the light in my room too...)

So anyone? Any other opinions?

Iveechan
23rd June 2004, 02:05 AM
I remember seeing the story on the news. I don't think it is false. Then again, hrm.

Loupeitak
23rd June 2004, 02:10 AM
i didn't even feel anything. It's all false

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd June 2004, 02:51 AM
I think they were honestly *reported* as seizures, though, even if they weren't.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
23rd June 2004, 06:25 AM
I'm positive the story was correct, they even showed that incident on Austrian TV news at prime time, and that means something. That was long before Pokémon was even released here.

Anyway, why do you think it would give you seizures? I think only around 30 people got them back then in Japan from many thousands watching the show. I saw the entire episode and didn't feel anything either. You should be lucky it has no effect on you.

Kojiro
23rd June 2004, 07:13 AM
The clip is alot toned down then the actual thing.And I think Japanese Kids have more sensitive eyes,at least thats what I heard, but I doubt its fake.

darktyranitar
23rd June 2004, 09:12 AM
I don't know, but from what I heard from my friend those Japenese kids like to watch TV a little too near...So, I think it's a fake.

Snork
23rd June 2004, 09:48 AM
It's a condition that you get, it makes you susceptible to seizures. I'm not sure if it's closely related to epilepsy or what, but it doesn't just randomly happen to people, I'm pretty sure it's a condition.

Zak
23rd June 2004, 11:32 AM
This belongs in Anime Discussion.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that even if it is true, the clip probably wouldn't affect most of us here. I've heard the same theory before, but then I heard that the little kids' eyes are more sensitive, and haven't totally adjusted yet. Just like in a lot of cases, like I've heard that alcohol killed an infant, and a lot of people on this board drink it as well, cause most of us are teens or adults. Not sure if that was a good analogy, but I've heard other examples.

Either way, try showing the clip to someone who's 5 or under.

~Zak

mr_pikachu
23rd June 2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Zak

Either way, try showing the clip to someone who's 5 or under.
Let's not. I don't particularly want to get sued. :no:

But anyway, I'm sure there are some people that did get a seizure from that incident. JUst like any other condition, some people are more susceptible than others, and the ones who were most susceptible probably were affected by that episode.

One thing I've always found interesting was that Pokemon actually GAINED some popularity after that. I saw it on the news, and that stirred up some curiosity for me. Fast forward a year, and I'm watching the show every weekday and Saturday. Did that happen for any of you, too?

Chris 2.1
23rd June 2004, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't they 'dim' the animation down that caused seizures before allowing others to view it? Maybe they did clean it up slightly so others could view it and not go psycho.

Adamant
23rd June 2004, 02:25 PM
Wouldn't they 'dim' the animation down that caused seizures before allowing others to view it? Maybe they did clean it up slightly so others could view it and not go psycho.

You mean the clip? Yeah, I take it the low quality make it safer. Or something. This isn't exactly a subject I know anything about.

Animelee
23rd June 2004, 02:34 PM
I happen to own a very high-quality version of the episode. The night I got it, I cleaned my glasses, turned the lights off, put the episode on full screen, and fast-forwarded it to one minute before the "seizure" scene. When Pikachu shocked the rockets, and the red and blue lights started flashing, the most I felt was a pain in my eyes, and that's it. No worse than when you stare at the sun right after having your eyes adjusted to the dark. Ever watch Dragonball Z in the night time, and have Gohan do a kamehameha that flashes black and white? It's really no worse than that, even.

homeofmew
23rd June 2004, 03:13 PM
the clip that they sow now was remade.
I ve seen the full episode with all the colors toned down, it was a wird episode anyway with a guy with @_@ (swirly) type eyes

Heald
23rd June 2004, 03:26 PM
I have a theory. See picture below:

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/HealdPK/seizuretheory.jpg

Dragonfree
23rd June 2004, 03:29 PM
Umm... wasn't it clear that just SOME people, ones who are sensitive to flashing lights, would get seizures from it?

Craig
25th June 2004, 07:32 PM
Umm... wasn't it clear that just SOME people, ones who are sensitive to flashing lights, would get seizures from it?

Thats what I understood, only photosensitive kids got seizures from it. They'd also get seizures from watching "RGB" on Albinoblacksheep. No doubt.

Zak
25th June 2004, 08:21 PM
Hmm, I just remembered, I think I heard some people died from it, but that's probably just a hoax.

Although I am pretty surprised they banned it from Japan TV, even after toning it down and airing it for a bit. It's clear that the overparanoid American TV wouldn't dare get their hands on anything that has done something of that nature, toned down or not. :rolleyes: I always thought Japan was less strict, but I guess not.

~Zak

Jeikobu
29th June 2004, 12:48 AM
I heard the seizures we epileptic, so I assume only those with epilepsy were hit with seizures while watching.

Becky_353544353
10th July 2004, 10:50 AM
I just watch that clip It seems harmless I always wonder about that.
One other thing about the clip it funny to heard Ash and the others in
Japaness