PDA

View Full Version : A Bond in Dark Times (A Fic by Me and RJ)

Mikey
23rd June 2004, 09:37 PM
Ok, this is a fic me and RJdude started recently and have been posting. I know RJ doesn't visit here often anymore, but I'm still a regular and he oked me posting our fic here. It is a completly original trainer fic with new Pokemon and features. It takes 100 years after the current Pokemon state. I have left drawings of the new Pokemon to aid you in what they look like. Keep in mind that these were drawn in a matter of minutes and are just thumbnails to give you an Idea, I wasn't aiming for any artistic value. Here's Chapter 1 told through my character, Marco Cardella's eyes. Chapter 1 will have two sides, one by my character and one by RJ. After that the chapters will be told one time only.

Also, here are the three new beginner's pictures that you will need to get an idea of what they look like.
Twigillo (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Mikey77/Pokemon%20for%20Fic/Twigilloevo.jpg)
Fingame (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Mikey77/Pokemon%20for%20Fic/Fingameevo.jpg)
Felipor (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Mikey77/Pokemon%20for%20Fic/Feliporevo.jpg)

Chapter 1: For Richer or Poorer

The sun reached its peak above the hills and shown down onto a large metropolis in the valley below. The city was huge and full of commercial industries. Skyscrapers stood high above mighty factories that spewed smoke into the air from their smoke stacks. The streets were full of wheel-less cars and assorted vehicles that hovered along the roadways. There were many traffic backups and people honked frequently.

A few hover cars pulled up to a red light waiting with impatience for it to turn. Just as the light switched to a green, a young teenage boy crossed the street. He was somewhat lanky and very dirty. His black eyes glared at the cars that were to his side and his dirty brown hair blew with the breeze. The antsy people began to honk hysterically.

"Get out of the road you dumb kid!" A large cab driver yelled out of the driver seat window. The teen smirked to himself and continued to the other side of the street. This was Neo Wind City; a small city compared to some of the others that inhabited the continent of Stagione.

The city's edge consisted of many residential areas. Overpopulation had caused most of the neighborhoods to scale the hillsides almost to the top. A large mansion stood in the center of neighborhoods; its red brick reflecting the sun onto the beautiful landscaping around it. Behind it was a lake that flowed gently along the hill. It was the most luxurious residence in all of Stagione.

This was the Cardella Manor. The Cardellas were the richest family in Neo Wind City. This was because all of the metropolis's resorts and hotels belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Cardella. On almost every street one could find a Cardella Resort, and there was at least one in each city beyond Neo Wind.

A very appealing private school where the upper-class families of the city sent their children was just a few miles along the hillside from the manor. This was the Hillcliff School for the Gifted. The name had gifted in it, but it was pretty much just a nice way of saying "for those with wads of cash".

It was the last day of school before summer, and with that came the championship Lacrosse game. The Hillcliff team was tied with the opposing Ghaven School from the city across the hills. The Hillcliff students were panting hard as the ref signaled a halt in the game. Their red and gold jerseys were full of grass stains and dirt. The Ghaven's blue and black jerseys still seemed neatly pressed.

"We can't win this!" Jacob, a red headed senior and head of the Hillcliff team yelled to his fellow players. He was panting hard and his freckled face dripped with sweat.

"Some captain you are. You don't even believe in us!" A jet black haired junior replied rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand and clasping his lacrosse stick in the other.

"There's thirty seconds left on that clock Marco. You expect us to pull of a miraculous play in that amount of time?" Jacob shouted approaching the teen and getting in his face.

"Watch it Jacob. You don't want my family buying out your family's company now do you?" Marco Cardella grinned back. He knew his parents would never do it, but the threat always made others back off. Jacob pulled away and folded his arms. He turned his head and spat before glaring back into the teen's blue eyes.

"What's your plan?" He asked. Marco pushed his lacrosse stick forward into Jacob's chest grinning.

"Give the ball to me." He smiled. "These fancy pants assholes won't dare touch the child of the richest family in Stagione."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say…" He sighed and broke the meeting by walking off. The Hillside school returned to the field and the ref blew a whistle, signaling the ball to return to play. Marco looked up into the stands. It took him awhile, but he finally caught a glimpse of his parents at the very top looking down on the game. He was very surprised they showed up since they never kept their promises, but he was now more determined then ever to show them how skilled he was. He would score the winning goal for them.

Jacob gained control of the ball within the first few seconds of the face off and immediately passed it over to Marco. Marco tossed the ball over a Ghaven player's head and back to Jacob. The two neared the net and Marco received the ball. He was about to shoot when he noticed Paul, the plump sophomore who the team constantly ridiculed right by the net. He contemplated for a few seconds as the opposing team's defensive men rushed in on him. Jacob was yelling the whole time.

Marco flung the ball just as a defenseman stick checked his stick. The ball flew into the air and Paul noticed this. Jacob's eyes went wide. He knew Paul had never caught a ball with the Crosse in his life, and he didn't believe it would happen now. However, the ball landed square into the confused boy's Crosse who stared at it dumbfounded.

"I caug…I caught it!" He giggled.

"Shoot it!" Marco yelled over the defensemen who were turning to race at the boy who now controlled the ball. Paul pulled his lacrosse stick back and clumsily flung it forward. The crowd watched in amazement as the goalie dove but missed and the ball sailed straight into the net. The timer rung and Hillcliff was declared the winner.

"He actually did it! The fat slob actually did it!" Jacob shouted with disbelief. The students rushed to Paul and began to congratulate him. Marco slowly walked towards him as well. A Ghaven defenseman approached him.

"You could have scored that…" He said wiping away some sweat from his forehead. Marco bit his lip and shrugged.

"It was someone else's turn to shine…" He replied and walked off. He then looked up at the stands to see his parents were gone. The team collected at the center of the field and Jacob was presented with the winner's trophy.

"This award belongs to the VIP of the championship game…Paul!" Jacob said handing over the trophy to the amazed kid. Marco clapped a bit from the sidelines, his muscles contracting with his arm movements. He then grabbed his pack from the benches and took off towards the field's exit.

The parking lot was full of people honking hysterically as they tried to get out. Marco walked up to his Hovcedes, the most expensive car possible. Its black paint shone vibrantly. He flicked a switch on his keys causing the door to open vertically by itself. He stepped in and turned it on. The hovering dust below showed a brilliant neon green. Marco then turned his head around to see if he could spot his parent's limo anywhere, but there was no sign of it.

Anger swelled into him and he jammed the gear forward putting the car into reverse. He sped backward full speed and then cut the wheel sharp sending dust everywhere. Finally, he cut some family off and sped out onto the road. His black hair blew as a cool breeze entered the window. He had helped win the game, but all he could think about was his parents leaving. He was sick of it.

It was almost 8 pm when Marco arrived at the manor. He pulled the car into the gate and leapt out. The valet was forced to rush to the gate from his position on the grand porch a football field's length away. Marco passed by him angrily storming up the steps. "They better be home." He muttered to himself as he went. The teen trotted furiously up the stairs clenching both his fists. He then grabbed the handle and crashed through the door in a fit of rage. A few maids looked up to see what was so rudely entering.

Marco looked around with his eyebrows dropped low. His mother was slowly walking down the winding stairway that led into the lobby where Marco now stood. Her highlighted brown hair drooped at her sides and she was wearing a very expensive black gown. "Oh honey…you're home." She said with disappointment in her voice.

"Why did you leave the game?" Marco roared stepping onto the very expensive wood flooring of the foyer. He didn't bother to remove his shoes and was getting dirt and grass everywhere.

"Don't raise your voice at me mister!" His mother yelled. She made it to the bottom of the steps and slipped on some white gloves that went all the way up her arm. "Your father and I couldn't help but notice that you gave up your chance of success for another. Very foolish of you." She said not even looking at him.

Marco turned to see his father enter from the dining room to the right. He was in a neatly pressed tuxedo and his graying black hair was brushed neatly back. "A Cardella does not give success to those who are not worthy of it." He said walking towards his wife.

"Well maybe Paul Boastly was deserving. The kid was mistreated all year!" Marco roared with anger. His father was in shock.

"Mind your place son." His mother shrieked. Mr. Cardella began to fold his arms and take giant steps across the foyer.

"That's what makes you different from a Cardella. You put others before yourself. One can never succeed when they value their own self less than another." He remarked.

"And that's what makes you the snobs you are today." Marco shouted angrily. Both his parents were now enraged.

"We are going to the annual Resort Ball and when we get back, we demand that you be better mannered. Our boy can not be a success when he doesn't know about respect!" Mrs. Cardella stated. She then grabbed her coat and pushed by her son. Mr. Cardella followed seconds later.

Marco watched them go not even flinching. He then kicked his shoes off and rushed up stairs. "I know respect. Respect is when you treat others with kindness. You give respect to those who deserve it." He hollered to himself as he walked down the wide hall of the second story. He reached his room near the end and kicked his desk before rushing into his private bathroom and shut the door.

After a cold shower, Marco exited the bathroom and threw his Lacrosse uniform to the floor. He then went to his walk in closet and pulled out his gold polo shirt with the brown sleeves. He then retrieved his dark brown cargo pants and slipped both items on. He clasped his Italian horn necklace in his hands and peered out into the hall. Jerome, the head butler, was busily placing things into a closest.

"Jerome!" Marco roared as the grey haired man turned to see him.

"Ahh…Marco. What can I do for you?" He asked. Marco motioned him towards the room. When Jerome was close enough he began to whisper.

"Pack me some things into my pack. I can't tell you why, but I won't be back for awhile. If my parents ask where I am, just tell them I went to prove them wrong." He said. Jerome looked a little worried. He pulled back from his employer and put his hands to his face in nervousness.

"This will not go over well." He said. Marco looked at him.

"Please." He pleaded. Jerome sighed and then nodded smiling childishly.

"And if they fire you, just contact my cell and I'll wire you all the money you need." He replied grinning. Jerome shook his head and walked down the hall. Marco then returned to his room and opened up his nightstand drawer near his king size bed. He pulled a crumpled flyer from it and unfolded it. He then peered at the writing.

"Professor Evergreen's Lab. Beginning Pokemon Trainers of Neo Wind City may come downtown to retrieve their beginner Pokemon." Was what it said. The drawing then showed three Pokemon below. The date for the pickup was scheduled for tomorrow, and Marco has already signed up.

"We'll see who the failure around here is." He whispered to himself. He then looked up to a small poster above his bed. It showed a picture of a man named Colt Jackson, the best Pokemon trainer in Stagione, battling an Elite 4 member with a Zebra Pokemon. Marco had wanted to take his Pokemon journey since he was very small, but had to wait because the age limit was changed to 16 due to high crime rates throughout the region.

Marco rushed down the stairs and back into the foyer where Jerome was waiting with a pack full of things. "I put enough food and clothes changes in there to last a week or two. After that you're on your own. I also packed some warm blankets and assorted necessities." The aging man remarked. Marco nodded and slipped the one strapped pack along his shoulder to his waist.

"I have enough money to hold me for awhile." Marco grinned back. The two had always been very close. Marco grew up with Jerome taking care of him and they had always understood each other.

"My dear Marco, I know you'll become a success and then your parents will see it too. Make me proud." He grinned and messed his hand through the teen's hair. Marco smiled and waved before exiting the door. His Hovcedes was already waiting at the bottom of the porch stairs. The boy flicked the door open and leapt inside, waving one last time before taking off down the driveway and out of the gate.

It was very late now as Marco sped along the busy streets of the city making his way towards the lab on the other side of the city. He had heard that Evergreen was a nutty man and couldn't wait to meet him the following day. He was taking the outer road to avoid the traffic of the inner city. The outskirts were still pretty forested. Pokemon Rights movements had caused the region to allow 50% of the continent to remain unindustrialized so that trainers could still do what they did best. Much had changed in the past 100 years, but Pokemon was still a major profession.

Marco went around a bend in the road trying to read directions of which way to go. Hoothoots were hooting in the trees as he went. Suddenly, Marco swerved as a dark creature entered the path of the road. He only saw it for a moment, but it looked vicious with a sleek black body and claws outstretched. The Hovcedes spun and crashed directly into a tree on the passenger side. Marco was a bit shaken up, but he was fine.

"****!" He roared. The car wouldn't start up again and he peered out the window. He checked his cell phone but realized he hadn't charged it properly. He knew he had to get out and find help, but he hoped that creature wasn't still nearby. Slowly, he opened the door and stepped out into the moonlight. Some nearby Spinaraks crawled into the shelter of the forest as he took a few steps forward. The strange black creature was nowhere to be found. Marco kicked the side of his car and then proceeded to walk down the hill towards the inner city just a few miles away.

It took him an hour, but Marco finally made it into the beginnings of the city. A small convenience store was situated just down the road. It was disconnected from the rest of the metropolis; one of the only remaining buildings of the older century. Marco walked down the street pushing past the freaky people that came out at this time of night. They had whacked out hair and piercing everywhere. It was very uncommon for a teen to be strolling the streets in the middle of the night.

The boy raced across the parking lot and opened the door to enter the store. He approached the desk where a big burly man was sitting half asleep against his arm. "Mr.?" He inquired. The man shook himself off and looked down at the teen.

"Why if it isn't Cardella's boy!" The man grinned. Marco nodded smiling. It seemed as if the whole city knew who he was.

"Can I use your phone? I had an accident up the road and…" Marco began but the man cut him off.

"Don't you have a cell phone?" The bulky man asked. Marco nodded.

"It's dead." He replied. The man understood and propped a cordless phone onto the desk. Marco thanked him and began to dial. The bulky man then bent down, probably to tie his shoe. Suddenly, the doors opened again and another teen entered. Unknown to Marco, this was the same dirty kid who crossed the busy street earlier. He had an empty plastic bag in his hand, then took a bag of chips from the shelf nearest to the entrance, and put it in. Then he took several other food items and shoved them into the bag. Then he went up to the counter, near Marco. As he was dialing, in the corner of his eyes, he saw the teen take out what looked like a rock from his pocket, and then threw it behind the counter.

CRASH

The rock hit a stack of cans, which all fell over.

“Oh no,” the bulky man said, as he got up from tying his shoe. He then turned around and began to fix the cans with his back turned.

As he did this, Marco saw the dirty teen with the bag stare at the man with his back turned for a second, then walked out of the store.

“Hello?” came the mechanic's voice on the telephone. Without answering, Marco clicked the phone off and walked out of the store. He saw the teen walking away. “Hey, you need to pay for those!” he shouted.

The boy stopped short. “And why is that?”

“Because! You can’t just steal things! It’s a crime!”

He turned around. “It’s not a crime to get something to eat.”

“It is if you don’t pay for it!”

The teen starred at Marco for a second. “You don’t know what it’s like. You’re a rich kid, I can tell that. You have parents that take care of you, feed you, and put a roof over your head. Parents that get a lot of money for doing a lot of nothing. And with a small portion of that money, they can buy all the food they want and put it on a plate in front of you. Some of us aren’t so lucky. This is how I get food. It’s the only way, for me. Now go back to your house, and stop worrying about other people’s business. Just be lucky that you have what you have.” He started to walk away.

“Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about, but it’s still a crime to steal. And I’m not going to stand around and let you get away with it.”

The boy turned and faced Marco again, then moved towards him. He was a couple inched taller than Marco. He looked him straight in the eyes, and Marco saw his black eyes. "Just a tip for you. Don't go making enemies with street people." Then he turned around, and walked away.

Marco clenched his fists in rage. He then turned around and walked back into the store. The man behind the desk looked a little confused. Marco walked up to him and slapped a ten dollar bill onto the desk. "Some kid forgot to pay…" He said looking back out the store window. The store owner followed his gaze and then nodded.

Several minutes later Marco was back on the phone with the mechanic. "Yes, my Hovcedes is totaled…no I don't want a new one…just repair the damn thing…It's embedded a tree somewhere on Woodland Rd. No, don't bring it here! Just send it back to the Cardella Manor when you're done. My parents will pay for the damages." Marco said through the line trying his best to hold his patience with the man.

He spent the night on a small chair inside the store. It was very uncomfortable and Marco couldn't sleep a wink. Though he was very self sufficient, he never really lived outside the lap of luxury and so many things confused him. He couldn't stop thinking about the thief; how he had to steal to survive when Marco got food just by flicking his fingers. He thought long and hard on this until morning. A woman came in to take over the man's shift. Marco got up and walked towards him.

"Thanks for your um…hospitality…" He said lifting one side of his mouth. The man nodded and handed Marco his now charged up cell phone.

"I took the liberty of plugging that in for yas." He replied and then slowly walked through the door. Marco nodded his head to the woman who stood confused and then also left the store. It was six am and he had about two hours to walk to Professor Evergreen's lab. As he walked the busy streets of the city he took the time to notice the many bums littering the alleyways and corners. He never noticed them before…or maybe he just chose not to. They all looked so ragged and dirty. Here Marco was with expensive clothing and everything he could ever want while these people shivered in the cold. It was a thing unheard of.

It was eight am when the teen finally made it to the gates of the Neo Wind Pokemon Lab. The lab was at the foot of a hill and the building was about twenty feet from the gate. The pathway slopped up to the lab higher up and was surrounded by ponds and forests. Marco noticed many Pokemon rushing around the area.

As he punched the number he received when signing up into the gate, a blue haired girl came up behind him. "Are you going to take all day?" She roared as Marco spun around. He had to admit she was quite beautiful. Her blue eyes went perfectly with her hair, and her pink and baby blue skirt and shirt were neatly pressed.

"I'll just be a sec…" He replied and turned to finish his number. "The name's Marco Cardella, and you are?" He asked without turning around.

"I will be your greatest nightmare if you don't hurry with the damn code. I have a Pokemon to receive." She snarled back.

"So I take it your name is *****?" Marco laughed to himself as the gate began to open.

"How rude of you!" She yelled back. "The name's Alexis Branbury, but that's Ms. Branbury to you!" She said confidently.

"You mean the Branburys that own the construction company around here?" Marco asked turning to her again.

"Yep, and I take it you must be the only son of the Cardella Resort owners." She replied smirking.

"Look at that! Two things in common…we're both rich and we're both rude." Marco smiled and then began to walk inside the compound. The girl followed him up the path as if she was confused. She was folding her arms as she looked around. "So what made you become a trainer?" Marco asked as they proceeded up some steps.

"None of your business. All you need to know for the rest of your pathetic existence is to watch out for me. I'll blow your brains out if we ever battled." She yelled defiantly.

Marco stopped walking and turned placing his face into hers. "Well until that day…" He smiled and continued up the steps to a large set of doors. Alexis rolled her eyes and followed him up the steps.

A weird looking man bearing large goggle-like glasses and crazy purple hair was waiting for them at the top of the steps dressed in a white lab coat. He was busily examining something on the patio. "Ah! This is definitely the feather of a legendary Pokemon!" He grinned holding the red feather up to the light. His large eyes peered at it in wonder. He looked like an owl who found prey.

"Actually, I believe that's just a Pidgeot's head feather." Alexis said. Marco was surprised to see this girl actually knew something. The man smiled and blinked his eyes through the goggles.

"Ah yes…you are correct Ms. Branbury. A Pidgeot feather it is!" He replied placing the feather into a nearby flower pot. He then turned back to the two. "And you must be Marco Cardella." He said wiping his hand on his coat. Marco extended his hand and the man shook it.

"You've probably guessed by now that I am Professor Marvin Evergreen. It's good to finally meet the three of you." He said. Marco looked around. He noticed it was still only him and Alexis.

"Three?" Alexis blurted out. Evergreen smiled and began to walk inside. The two followed closely wondering what he was talking about. He led the two through a large study where some waiting seats were situated. There on one of the bulky seats was the teen thief from the previous night. Marco was in rage.

"You're allowing a petty criminal to start a Pokemon journey with one of your well trained Pokemon?" He roared. The teen stood up angrily and they glared at each other.

"Calm yourselves. Now Marco, you can't judge a person by how they appear on the outside. Josh Seraph is actually a very eager kid. He wishes to become a trainer just as you wish to go out and see the world." Evergreen said.

"But he smells horrible!" Marco cried. Josh was struck back by this statement.

"And is that a hint of alcohol I detect? And… marijuana?" Alexis said disgusted. Josh glared at her.

"Enough! All of you! Stop acting like children. Now, Marco and Alexis will wait here. Josh, I want you to go upstairs and take a quick shower. You'll find some clothes of mine that you can borrow. We will then get to the good stuff." Professor Evergreen ordered. Josh shifted his eyes at the other two and then slowly walked up the stairs.

After a few minutes, the teen came back down in a large purple shirt and some khaki pants. He looked a little cleaner, but still rather weird. "These clothes are huge!" He said under his breath. Marco couldn't help but laugh as the boy fumbled with the sleeves that extended past his arms.

"Sit down Josh! We have business at hand!" Evergreen commanded.

"Yeah, get your *** over here so I can pick my Pokemon!" Alexis demanded. Josh bared his straight yet yellow teeth at her and sat down on the only empty seat. The Professor then fumbled through his lab coat pocket and pulled out three glove-like objects. They were in three shades: gold, black; and pink. They looked like weight lifting gloves; that is the finger parts only extended halfway up before cutting off. At the tip of each finger cut off was a metallic ring with an empty spot for a jewel. One hand had five of these and the other only had one.

"These here are what we call Pokerings. They are used in aiding the capture of a Pokemon." Evergreen explained. He then fished through his pack and pulled out three jewels. One was green, another was red, and the final was blue. "And now we get to the fun stuff." He winked. The jewels resembled the Pokeballs of olden days, but they were a lot small and had no difference in color. Evergreen pressed all three to reveal a barrage of red light.

Three Pokemon formed on the ground opening their eyes and yawning. One was small and green with a nut-like shell on its back. It had a large twig extending as its tail. It resembled a two legged armadillo. The middle one had a small snout and a curved crest at the back of its head. Its eyes were shrouded in black and its fingers looked like mini volcanoes. Its beige body seemed to emanate heat. The final one was small and cat-like. It was blue in color and its tail and head crest were actually very puffy bubbles.

"I'd like you to meet Twigillo, Fingame, and Felipor. These are your choices that will become your new best friend. Choose wisely." Evergreen stated.

Marco turned to Alexis. "Ladies first." He grinned. She gave him a dirty look and then stood up.

"I want Felipor! It's so cute!" She stated and leaned down to put her arms around the water type kitten. It purred and rubbed its furry body against her.

"Ahh nice choice!" The professor smiled and handed her the blue jewel and the pink Pokering glove. Marco began to stand up to pick next, but Josh stood up faster, and shoved him down.

"I get Twigillo. This is very important to me…my father loved grass types. He had a Sceptile…" He said turning to Marco. Marco wasn’t sure what he was talking about, and why he would care about his father, but still, he nodded and Josh leaned down to his new Pokemon.

"Twig!" It smiled and clapped its paws together. The professor handed Josh the green jewel along with his black Pokering glove. To Marco’s surprise, Josh put it down, and began to pet it. Twigillo looked happy to have Josh as its new trainer. Then, oddly, Twigillo fell asleep.

“You may want to watch out for that Twigillo,” Evergreen said. “It's very friendly, and likes to battle, but otherwise it likes to sleep… not uncommon for Twigillo, but they’re not heavy sleepers like Snorlax.” Josh didn’t seem to care about this fact, he still looked happy of his choice.

"Well, I guess this little guy is mine!" Marco stated standing up and leaning down towards the curious looking Pokemon. It smiled and suddenly the tiny volcanoes on its fingers jetted up causing fire to spray out. "Holy crap!" Marco said falling back as the Pokemon laughed away.

"Fing fing fing!" It giggled.

"And that would be Fingame." Evergreen said handing the startled teen his red jewel and gold Pokering glove. "Be weary of this one. It's a little trouble maker." The professor then stood up. "Now, I want everyone to stand up and slip their Pokering gloves on so I can explain to you how this works." He requested. The three did as told. "Now, place the jewel I have given you on the right hand glove that only has one ring. This is what we call your starter Pokering…where you place your first Pokemon on." The three placed the jewel into the hole on the ring. They snapped into place and the teens looked up for more instructions.

"Now, push the jewel down and watch the magic!" Evergreen grinned. Marco did it first, pressing the jewel into the ring more. It made a clicking sound and then sprang forward, winding quickly around his finger to the fingertip. It then burst open and covered Fingame in a red light sucking the Pokemon inside. When it was complete, the ring spun back into place on the mid section of the finger.

"Wow! That was cool!" Marco grinned. Alexis did the same, but Josh kept Twigillo out. Evergreen smiled.

"And to catch Pokemon you must remove the jewel, press the switch on it, and toss it at the weakened creature. It's as easy as that." The three nodded understanding this. The professor then pulled out three small laptops. Each was only a few inches wide and folded open (sort of like a GBA SP). They all matched the colors of the Pokering gloves he handed out. Each trainer received the respective item.

"These are what we call Pokeputers. They contain all the information you will need to progress through Stagione. They contain a built in Pokedex to give you info on the creatures you encounter, a map, city information, etc." Evergreen explained. “Let me show you how it works.” He took Josh’s Pokeputer and pointed it at Twigillo, who was still sleeping next to Josh. “Gather around.” The three teens gathered around Evergreen (Alexis cringed her nose a bit at Josh, who still smelled a little despite the shower), and watched as a picture of Twigillo came up on the screen.

“Twigillo. Type: Grass. The Armadillo Pokemon. This Pokemon spends almost all of its life in forests. It feeds on small plants, as well as the soil they are planted in, and nuts.”

“Pretty cool, eh?” he said as he gave Josh his Pokeputer back. “You can also look up attacks for your Pokemon and the ones you’re fighting, to get a better idea of how to beat them.” The three trainers fiddled with their Pokeputers for a few seconds and then stashed them in their packs.

"And now my young trainers. You must journey to Headrest City across the hills to sign up for the league. There are eight gyms for you to compete in throughout the continent. Once you have all eight you can head back here and train for the Pokemon league. Be wary though, Stagione is not the nicest region to train in. You will meet many people that aren't friendly, so I advice you travel in groups." Evergreen suggested. He then handed each trainer their training licenses.

Alexis stood up and began to walk off. She aimed her hand down and pressed the ring, releasing Felipor as she did. It hoped a bit placing its head against her leg. "Por!" It purred.

"Felipor and I can handle this by ourselves. Thanks for the help professor, but I'm on my own now!" She said and started out of the building. Josh got up as well.

"I'm out of here." He said and walked out of the door.

"Be careful Marco. This world is a dangerous place." Evergreen said as Marco stood up. The teen nodded and then followed the other two out. He didn't see Alexis anywhere, but Josh wasn't too far ahead. Something about this kid made Marco curious, and he had to find out more about him. Plus, Marco was not the greatest when it came to living on the road. He was too civilized, and he was going to need someone like Josh to get around.

"Hey Josh!" He yelled down to the trainer below. Josh stopped dead in his tracks and slowly turned around.

"What do you want?" He asked folding his arms. Twigillo stood awake at his side, but as the boy sat there the Pokemon grew tired and slumped against his leg. Marco began to kick the dirt. He was far from shy, but asking a kid that he didn't get along with for help wasn't easy.

"I know you're a little broke. I've got enough money to feed a city, so I was wondering if you wanted to travel together for a bit...you know, just until we get things situated." He suggested.

Josh turned. "You don't want to travel with me, trust me. There's no part for you in my journey." He said shaking his head. Marco sighed and fiddled with the contraption on his hand. He pressed the red jewel and it spun to the front of his ring finger shining in a bright light as his brand new Pokemon emerged.

"Fingame!" It said smiling and looking up. Marco petted its head and it closed its eyes in enjoyment.

"Guess we're on our own my portable stove." Marco joked. The Pokemon flared up its fingers at this statement and Marco pulled away. "Watch it buddy! I don't plan on getting severe burns on this hot body, no pun intended!" Marco joked again. The Pokemon clasped its fingers together putting out the flames. Marco and his Pokemon then walked down the path and to the fence.

Josh was at the entrance searching the Pokeputer map to find which way to start. "Headrest City is to the West just a few days walk over the hills." Marco said as he walked by.

"Are you still following me? I told you, beat it. You don't want to hang out with someone like me." He seemed to be having trouble as his sleeves kept getting in the way of the map. Twigillo rocked sleepily next to him.

Marco stopped walking and rubbed his hand through his own hair. "You know, if you reconsider my suggestion I could buy you some more fashionable attire." He remarked. The teen peered at him and pulled up his sleeve. "And besides, I don't care that you're poor."

"It's not about that... I have something dark inside me. I left on this journey to get it out, hopefully, and having an annoying rich kid like you around isn't going to help me any.

Marco glared at him. "Look, I didn't do anything to you, alright, I was just offering to help. You don't have to be such a jackass."

Josh moved closer, and Marco looked into his black eyes. "You want my story? Alright, you get it. Six years ago, my father was murdered by a man nicknamed The Black Phantom."

Marco actually laughed. "You expect me to believe that?" The Black Phantom was a myth, an urban legend about a man, a criminal, dressed in all black, including a black mask, appearing like a ghost in the middle of the night to kill anyone he had a grudge against, and then disappearing just as mysteriously as he came. "You expect me to believe you that some fairy tale character killed your father."

"I was there," Josh said, baring his teeth. "I saw him. I saw a man dressed in all black appear in the middle of the night, and shoot my father. He was a cop, and a damn good one too... it was because of him that our city was as crime free as it was. But as soon as he died, the city went to the dogs. Crime everywhere, especially drugs... even my own mother became an addict, in light of my father's murder. I couldn't live with her anymore, so I left the house, and had to raise myself on the street, with all the druggies. That's why I smell so bad, like alcohol and marijuana, because I lived out on the street. And you know what? There was only one thing I thought about, the last six years...revenge. Revenge on the man who killed my father. I waited those six years, training my body and skill, for the day when I would meet The Black Phantom again. And of course, thinking about nothing but revenge doesn't turn you into an incredibly nice person. That's why I'm like the way I am today." Then he began walking off, Twigillo walking by.

Marco then felt a huge rush of pity for Josh. He still wasn't quite sure whether to believe that The Black Phantom killed his father, but he had looked at Josh's eyes for the entire time he was telling his story; Josh wasn't lying. His father really was dead, his mother an addict, he was living on the streets, thinking about nothing but revenge. He didn't know how Josh could have dealt with it. It made sense, that's why Josh smelled like drugs, that's why he had to steal for food, that's why he had chosen Twigillo.

"Wait, I'll make you a deal." Marco began to walk forward. Fingame hobbled after trying to keep up as it played with its finger flames. Josh turned around. "If we can at least travel together until Headrest City, I'll get you some new clothes. After that I'll leave and you'll never have to see me again." Marco only needed this kid to learn how to survive out in the wilderness, and he could catch on in a matter of days.

Josh looked at the large, purple shirt. "Fine." He stopped to let Marco catch up, then the two began walking together.

"You know this still doesn't make us friends." Marco stated as they turned a corner.

"Agreed..." Josh whispered...

RJdude
23rd June 2004, 09:50 PM
Okay guys, after quite some time, I'm making my return to TPM. Just for this fic though... I may repost LoaM, but since nobody read it, why bother...

Well anyway, here's the same Chapter 1 from Josh's perspective. Read and enjoy.

Chapter 1 - For Richer or Poorer

Josh Seraph glared at the river beside which he was walking. A swarm of Magikarp and Goldeen swam in it. Looking at the fish swim peacefully took his mind off the things he usually thought about.

“That’s what I’m doing this for,” Josh said to himself. “To get away from things. To make a new life for myself.” His life, he thought, had traveled through a seemingly endless tunnel ever darkness ever since the incident six years ago. There was only one thought that had gone through his mind during the last six years, the one thought that seemed to drive him, to take control of him. It was because of this thought that he had lived the way he did. He could have easily sought out help. Find a family to take him in. After all, his mother couldn’t possibly take care of him. And his father… his father, as great of a man as he one, was the reason he had lived like he did. Living on the street, stealing for food, training, and awaiting the day he would one day face the menace that had taken his soul, it seemed, away from him. Only one thought kept him living like this.

Revenge.

It was a just a word, just a series of sounds to symbolize something. Yet it was the though of revenge that kept him on the street, away from other people, even his own mother… though with her state, it wouldn’t matter anyway.

But Josh had finally realized that he wasn’t going to get vengeance by standing there and thinking about it. He had to leave the place he had lived in filth for the last six years, go out, and look for him. But that wasn’t the only reason he had wanted to leave.

Josh felt as though his entire purpose in life was revenge. Ever since the incident six years ago, his only thought was revenge. He didn’t go and find a foster family to live with, he didn’t look for help. He just moved out onto the street, stealing his food so he could eat. He rarely slept, most of the time he trained, trying to improve him skill and muscle, for the day when he would face him.

It seemed as though the thought had completely took over Josh, turning him into something dark, something that he himself, six years ago, would not recognize. Every day his lust for revenge got bigger, and turned him into something more unrecognizable. By the time six years had past, he had realized that he needed to get away from it all, before his hatred did something he could not take back. He needed to clear his mind out.

Luckily, not long after this new thought, he saw an advertisement in a newspaper (there was only one person in his hometown of Pace City that still ordered a newspaper… he never read it, though, so Josh always took it, looking for a story that might help him find the one he was looking for), that read:

"Professor Evergreen's Lab. Beginning Pokemon Trainers of Neo Wind City may come downtown to retrieve their beginner Pokemon." Josh then saw the date, and knew that it wasn’t far.

This was the opportunity Josh had been waiting for. A Pokemon journey. He remembered when he was younger, his father had several Pokemon, and Josh loved to see his father battle with them. He knew that going out and training Pokemon would pull him away from the darkness he seemed to be living in. Plus, he would be able to go out and look for him. The Black Phantom. The person that had killed the man Josh had admired most: his father.

Josh remembered the day all too well. Six years ago, when Josh was ten, he was walking with his father, at night. His father, Angel, was a cop, and one of the best. He was respected greatly by his fellow cops, and feared by any criminals in Pace City. It was because of him that Pace City was one of the few crime-free cities in Stagione, especially considering the high crime rate going throughout the region. But Josh was walking with his father one night, when he told Josh to run and hide. He did as he was told, hiding behind a wall, when a man wearing all black, including a black mask, appeared as though from nowhere. He had talked with his father for a little while, but eventually shot him, and then disappeared just as mysteriously as he appeared. Josh only had a few minutes to talk with his father before he died.

Since then, Josh’s only goal, only point in life, was to find the mysterious masked man, and to bring him to justice. The problem was, the Black Phantom was thought to be only a myth, an urban legend about a masked criminal wearing all black that would appear in the middle of the night, kill you, then disappear without leaving a trace. So when Josh tried to tell police of how his father was killed, they didn’t believe him. But that seemed to be the last time the police tried to do anything. Following Angel’s death, crime began to sprout up throughout the city, and there was so much of it that the police just didn’t bother with it anymore. The popular thing was drugs. Most of the people living in Pace City now were all druggies. His mother, because she was so saddened by Angel’s death, had taken to drugs… it was because of this that Josh was forced to live on the streets. There were druggies on the street, too, but most of them left Josh alone (though Josh, during the past six years, had started to smell liked rugs and alcohol), because most of the time, Josh would do nothing but train, whether it be practicing martial arts, doing pull-ups, or anything to make him stronger, all the while he was thinking of revenge… though they were stoned most of the time, the people of Pace City knew enough to not get in his way.

But that was going to change. Now he would get away from it all, the druggies, the training, the lust for revenge… he was going on this journey to get rid of it all. He needed to clear his mind. Revenge, especially if you have it for a very long time, can transform you, and it seemed to do that with Josh.

But Josh knew that he would still want revenge, as much as he tried to push it aside. He had been thinking about it for too long to just wash it away. Still, he had to try.

When he had finally reached Neo Wind City, he looked at it, and decided where to go. He needed to visit this Professor Evergreen. He entered the city, with the hovercars all whizzing around him. He tried to cross the road as soon as the light turned green, and didn’t get a very good response.

"Get out of the road you dumb kid!" A large cab driver yelled out of the driver seat window. Josh just gave a quick smirk and crossed the street.

He saw a jogger, and decided to ask for directions. “Excuse me, can you tell me where to find the Neo Wind Pokemon Lab?” The jogger looked at him, with his long, brown, dirty hair, and his strong smell he got from not showering in six years, and walked on.

“Looks like I’ll have to find it myself.” Josh continued walking, until he passed a very large school. “Must be a private one,” Josh noted. He saw there was some kind of game on. Lacrosse, it looked like. Ever since Pace City was filled with crime, most parents moved their children out of the city, kind of surprising, considering most of Stagione wasn’t exactly the happiest place, but he supposed anywhere must have been better than there… he wouldn’t know, he had never left the city until now. But since there were no more kids, the schools in Pace City shut down, and likewise, there were no more sports games. Josh took a closer look at the game.

There were two teams, as in most lacrosse games: one team was wearing red and gold with “Hillside” written on their jerseys, and the other wearing blue and black, with “Ghaven” written on it.

"We can't win this!" a red boy on the Hillside team yelled to his fellow players. He was panting hard and his freckled face dripped with sweat.

"Some captain you are. You don't even believe in us!" A jet black haired boy replied. He was rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand and clasping his lacrosse stick in the other.

"There's thirty seconds left on that clock Marco. You expect us to pull of a miraculous play in that amount of time?" the red-head shouted approaching the teen and getting in his face.

"Watch it Jacob. You don't want my family buying out your family's company now do you?" the other boy grinned back. He turned his head and spat before glaring back into the teen's blue eyes.

"What's your plan?" The red-head, apparently named Jacob asked. The other boy, apparently named Marco, pushed his lacrosse stick forward.

"Give the ball to me." He smiled. "These fancy pants assholes won't dare touch the child of the richest family in Stagione."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say…" He sighed and broke the meeting by walking off. The Hillside school returned to the field and the ref blew a whistle, signaling the ball to return to play. Marco seemed to be looking in the crowd.

Jacob gained control of the ball within the first few seconds of the face off and immediately passed it over to the Marco, who tossed the ball over a Ghaven player's head and back to Jacob. The two neared the net and Marco received the ball. He was about to shoot when Josh saw him glance over at a chubby Hillside player. He seemed to be thinking for a few seconds as Ghaven’s defensive men rushed in on him. Jacob was yelling the whole time.

Marco flung the ball just at a defenseman stick checked his stick. The ball flew into the air and the chubby boy noticed this. Jacob's eyes went wide. Josh took a closer look at the chubby boy, and he looked as though he had never caught a ball in his life. However, the ball landed square into the confused boy's Crosse who stared at it dumbfounded.

"I caug…I caught it!" the chubby boy giggled.

"Shoot it!" Marco yelled over the defensemen who were turning to race at the boy who now controlled the ball. The chubby boy pulled his lacrosse stick back and clumsily flung it forward. The crowd watched in amazement as the goalie dove but missed and the ball sailed straight into the net. The timer rung and Hillcliff was declared the winner.

"He actually did it! The fat slob actually did it!" Jacob shouted with disbelief. The students rushed to the chubby and began to congratulate him. Marco slowly walked towards him as well. A Ghaven defenseman approached him.

"You could have scored that…" He said wiping away some sweat from his forehead. Marco bit his lip and shrugged.

"It was someone else's turn to shine…"

Josh was instantly reminded of his father. Doing something like that, letting somebody else have a chance to shine, was something his father would have done. Josh decided he wouldn’t hang out long after that. He left, and kept on walking the way he was going.

After doing about half an hour of walking, with people looking at him in his disgusting state, he finally saw a laboratory at the top of a hill, surrounded by trees and ponds. There were Pokemon running all around. “Must be it,” Josh said to himself. He approached the lab, and saw that there was a gate, which was locked and protected by a number code.

“****,” Josh said. Just then, a man appeared right next to him, causing him to jump a little. “Hello? And who might you be?” The man was very weird looking, with crazy purple hair, and glasses that resembled goggles. He had a plastic bag in his hand that was filled with Pokemon food.

“My name’s Josh Seraph. Are you Professor Evergreen?”

“Why yes I am.”

“Well, I have a question I need to ask.”

“Well, just come on in!” Professor Evergreen punched in a four digit number, and then led Josh up a series of steps, until they got to the laboratory. He led Josh inside, then dumped the Pokemon food on the table, and threw the bag aside. “Well, what was it you wanted to ask me?” He didn’t seem to mind the fact that Josh was fifty, and smelled horrible.

“I saw an ad in the newspaper not too long ago that tomorrow, you would be giving out Pokemon to new trainers in Neo Wind City. I’m not from Neo Wind, but I was wondering if I could get one too… I need to get out, become a trainer, take my mind off of things.”

“Why of course! There are only two trainers coming tomorrow, and three Pokemon, so there will be enough for everyone. I’ll just have to type up your license tonight, which isn’t a problem, since everybody chooses tomorrow anyway, and you’ll be set. Just tell me your name and age.

“Josh Seraph, sixteen.”

“Very well then, I’ll have it for you tomorrow.”

“Thanks,” Josh said, then began to leave.

“Wait, can you help me with something?” the professor asked.

Josh had other things to do, and didn’t feel like helping him out at the time, but he did just help him out, something nobody had done in six years, and even though he was strange, he was also nice, a human characteristic he had only seen once in the last six years, when the boy at the lacrosse game let the chubby kid take the winning goal. “Alright.”

Professor Evergreen took Josh over to another table, where there was nothing but a single, green leaf. “Do you see what this is?”

“It’s a leaf,” Josh replied, with some hint of anger in his voice. This was what he needed help with?

“Yes, but what kind of leaf?” Professor Evergreen asked him. “If my suspicions are correct, this could be a leaf from one of the two trees!”

“The what?”

“The two Legendary Trees, Inteverg and Merirch. It is said that those two trees can control the temperatures, making it hot or cold. Inteverg controls the cold, while Merirch controls the hot. It is even said that these two trees formed the basis for Stagione.”

While he found this interesting, Josh still thought Professor Evergreen was a lunatic. “It’s just a regular leaf, it didn’t come from a Pokemon,” he told him once again.

Professor Evergreen examined the leaf closely. “Ah, so it is! Well, thank you for your time. But before you go, take this.” He took a pen out of his pocket and then scribbled a four digit number on a piece of paper, before handing it to Josh. “This is the code to get you into here tomorrow. Be here at eight AM, sharp.”

Josh pocketed the paper, and then began to leave. Along the way, he picked up the plastic bag that Evergreen was holding the Pokemon food in, and then turned back to Evergreen. “Hey, do you know where I can find something like a convenience store?”

“Hmm… the closest one is a while away. It’ll take you about two hours if you walk. Would you like me to drive you there?”

“No, but could you tell me how to get there?”

Evergreen gave him the directions, which were complicated, but Josh got it all down in his mind.

“Well, see you tomorrow, Josh.”

Josh left the laboratory, and began to follow the directions that Evergreen gave him. On the way, he tried to clear his mind of everything. It was dark, but that didn’t bother Josh. Where had had come from, night was a lot scarier than this place, and he wasn’t bothered by that, so nothing from here could bother him.

After a good time had past, he could see the convenience store in the distance. He picked up a rock from the ground. He hated doing this, but he was hungry, and he obviously had no money.

He walked into the store where he saw a boy trying to call someone on the phone. He then recognized him as Marco, the boy from the lacrosse game. He sighed, remembering the boy’s good deed earlier, then began. He quickly took different kinds of food and put it into the bag. Once it was filled, he went up to the counter, and saw the bulky man behind the counter bent down to tie his shoe. Marco was still dialing. Josh then saw a bunch of cans stacked up behind the counter. He took the rock out, and then threw it hard at the stack of cans.

CRASH!

Josh’s aim was perfect. It hit one of the cans, and caused the rest of them to topple over. The bulky man then got up from tying his shoe. “Oh no.” he then turned around and started to fix the cans. When he was sure the bulky man’s back was turned, and he couldn’t see him, Josh walked out of the store.

He hated doing it, stealing. But ever since he was forced to live out on the streets, it was the only way he could get food. It didn’t seem to matter, most of Stagione was so full of crime that robberies were occurring all over, and his one case didn’t seem to matter. Still, he felt guilty about it.

“Hey, you need to pay for those!” shouted a voice behind him. Josh stopped short. It was Marco, the lacrosse boy.

“And why is that?”

“Because! You can’t just steal things! It’s a crime!”

Josh turned around. “It’s not a crime to get something to eat.”

“It is if you don’t pay for it!”

Josh starred at Marco for a second. He remembered how Marco said, in the lacrosse game, that the other team wouldn’t dare touch the child of the richest family in Stagione. “You don’t know what it’s like. You’re a rich kid, I can tell that. You have parents that take care of you, feed you, and put a roof over your head. Parents that get a lot of money for doing a lot of nothing. And with a small portion of that money, they can buy all the food they want and put it on a plate in front of you. Some of us aren’t so lucky. This is how I get food. It’s the only way, for me. Now go back to your house, and stop worrying about other people’s business. Just be lucky that you have what you have.” Josh started to walk away

“Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about, but it’s still a crime to steal. And I’m not going to stand around and let you get away with it.”

Josh turned and faced Marco again, then moved towards him. He looked at Marco straight in the eyes. "Just a tip for you. Don't go making enemies with street people." Then he turned around, and walked away. He didn’t think it was necessary to say that and try to scare him, after all, Marco, from what he had seen of him at the lacrosse game, was a good kid. But Marco could also get all the food he wants. “He had no right to say that stealing is bad. I know it is, but it’s the only way I get food… he makes it look like I like stealing.”

Josh started to walk back to the Evergreen laboratory, reversing the directions Evergreen had given him. He was quickly devouring the contents of the bag… he knew that he should save some more for later, but he was starving; he hadn’t had anything to eat since he left Pace City.

Finally, after about an hour, all of the food in the bag except for an apple was gone. Josh was at a wall that was probably right in between the store and the laboratory. He decided to call it a day. He slumped against the wall, and began to fall asleep. He had always slept like this in Pace City, so he had no problems falling asleep.

When he woke up, he looked up into the sky. It was about 6:30, he could tell. During the six years of living on the street, Josh had gained the ability to tell the time by looking at the position of the sun, and knowing what time it was. He decided to head to Evergreen’s lab. He grabbed the apple out of the plastic bag, took a bite out of it, and continued back to Evergreen’s. It took him another hour to reach Evergreen’s, and it was around 7:30. He took a look at the paper Evergreen had given him. He punched in the four digit code, then the gate opened and he walked up the stairs to the lab.

“Ah, good morning, Josh. I see you’re early.”

“Had nothing else to do.”

“Very well then, come on in.” He led Josh inside to a large study, and then had him sit down in a chair. “Well, the other two trainers should be here soon, just sit and relax.”

“Who are the other two trainers?” Josh asked.

“Well, one is a girl named Alexis Branbury, and the other is a boy named Marco Cardella.”

“Marco!”

“Ah, I seen you’ve met.”

Josh sighed. “Yeah, once or twice.”

“Well, that’s good. I’ll be waiting outside for the other two.”

Josh waited for about fifteen minutes. After that time, Professor Evergreen walked in with two teens. One was a girl with blue hair and blue eyes, and the other was Marco. He began to lead them over to the study where Josh was sitting.

"Three?" the girl, who Josh assumed was Alexis blurted out. Evergreen smiled and began to walk inside the study, the two teens behind him. When he walked in, Marco saw Josh, and cried in rage.

"You're allowing a petty criminal to start a Pokemon journey with one of your well trained Pokemon?" He roared. Josh stood up angrily and they glared at each other.

"Calm yourselves. Now Marco, you can't judge a person by how they appear on the outside. Josh Seraph is actually a very eager kid. He wishes to become a trainer just as you wish to go out and see the world." Evergreen said.

"But he smells horrible!" Marco cried. Josh was struck back by this statement.

"And is that a hint of alcohol I detect? And… marijuana?" Alexis said disgusted. Josh glared at her. When you spent six years living on a street with a bunch of potheads, you start to pick up their smell.

"Enough! All of you! Stop acting like children. Now, Marco and Alexis will wait here. Josh, I want you to go upstairs and take a quick shower. You'll find some clothes of mine that you can borrow. We will then get to the good stuff." Professor Evergreen ordered. Josh shifted his eyes at the other two and then slowly walked up the stairs.

When he was upstairs, he took his old and very dirty clothes, then walked into the shower, and turned the water on. It felt very good, as he had never taken a shower in the last six years. He wanted to stay in there longer, but he knew he didn’t want to waste time, and he wanted to get his Pokemon and start as soon as possible. He got out of the shower after a few minutes, dried himself, and then saw the clothes Evergreen had laid out. There was a large, purple shirt, and khaki pants. They looked very stupid, but he had nothing else to wear. He put them on, and went down stairs. "These clothes are huge!" He said under his breath once he was downstairs. He saw that Marco was trying very hard to hold in a laugh, but Josh didn’t care what Marco thought.

"Sit down Josh! We have business at hand!" Evergreen commanded.

"Yeah, get your ass over here so I can pick my Pokemon!" Alexis demanded. Josh bared his teeth at her and sat down on the only empty seat. The Professor then fumbled through his lab coat pocket and pulled out three glove-like objects. They were in three shades: gold, black; and pink. They looked like weight lifting gloves; that is the finger parts only extended halfway up before cutting off. At the tip of each finger cut off was a metallic ring with an empty spot for a jewel. One hand had five of these and the other only had one.

"These here are what we call Pokerings. They are used in aiding the capture of a Pokemon." Evergreen explained. He then fished through his pack and pulled out three jewels. One was green, another was red, and the final was blue. "And now we get to the fun stuff." He winked. The jewels resembled the Pokeballs of olden days, but they were a lot small and had no difference in color. Evergreen pressed all three to reveal a barrage of red light.

Three Pokemon formed on the ground opening their eyes and yawning. One was small and green with a nut-like shell on its back. It had a large twig extending as its tail. It resembled a two legged armadillo. The middle one had a small snout and a curved crest at the back of its head. Its eyes were shrouded in black and its fingers looked like mini volcanoes. Its beige body seemed to emanate heat. The final one was small and cat-like. It was blue in color and its tail and head crest were actually very puffy bubbles.

"I'd like you to meet Twigillo, Fingame, and Felipor. These are your choices that will become your new best friend. Choose wisely." Evergreen stated.

Josh saw the Grass type, the Twigillo, and was reminded of his father’s Sceptile, who also died the night of his father’s murder. He knew that he had to pick Twigillo.

Marco turned to Alexis. "Ladies first." He grinned. She gave him a dirty look and then stood up.

"I want Felipor! It's so cute!" She stated and leaned down to put her arms around the water type kitten. It purred and rubbed its furry body against her.

"Ahh nice choice!" The professor smiled and handed her the blue jewel and the pink Pokering glove. Marco began to stand up to pick next, but Josh stood up faster, and shoved him down.

"I get Twigillo. This is very important to me…my father loved grass types. He had a Sceptile…" He said turning to Marco. Marco nodded and Josh leaned down to his new Pokemon.

"Twig!" It smiled and clapped its paws together. The professor handed Josh the green jewel along with his black Pokering glove. Josh put it down, and began to pet it. Twigillo looked happy to have Josh as its new trainer. Then, oddly, Twigillo fell asleep.

“You may want to watch out for that Twigillo,” Evergreen said. “It's very friendly, and likes to battle, but otherwise it likes to sleep… not uncommon for Twigillo, but they’re not heavy sleepers like Snorlax.” Josh didn’t care about this fact, he was happy of his choice.

"Well, I guess this little guy is mine!" Marco stated standing up and leaning down towards the curious looking Pokemon. It smiled and suddenly the tiny volcanoes on its fingers jetted up causing fire to spray out. "Holy crap!" Marco said falling back as the Pokemon laughed away.

"Fing fing fing!" It giggled.

"And that would be Fingame." Evergreen said handing the startled teen his red jewel and gold Pokering glove. "Be weary of this one. It's a little trouble maker." The professor then stood up. "Now, I want everyone to stand up and slip their Pokering gloves on so I can explain to you how this works." He requested. The three did as told. "Now, place the jewel I have given you on the right hand glove that only has one ring. This is what we call your starter Pokering…where you place your first Pokemon on." The three placed the jewel into the hole on the ring. They snapped into place and the teens looked up for more instructions.

"Now, push the jewel down and watch the magic!" Evergreen grinned. Marco did it first, pressing the jewel into the ring more. It made a clicking sound and then sprang forward, winding quickly around his finger to the fingertip. It then burst open and covered Fingame in a red light sucking the Pokemon inside. When it was complete, the ring spun back into place on the mid section of the finger.

"Wow! That was cool!" Marco grinned. Alexis did the same, but Josh kept Twigillo out. Evergreen smiled.

"And to catch Pokemon you must remove the jewel, press the switch on it, and toss it at the weakened creature. It's as easy as that." The three nodded understanding this. The professor then pulled out three small laptops. Each was only a few inches wide and folded open (sort of like a GBA SP). They all matched the colors of the Pokering gloves he handed out. Each trainer received the respective item.

"These are what we call Pokeputers. They contain all the information you will need to progress through Stagione. They contain a built in Pokedex to give you info on the creatures you encounter, a map, city information, etc." Evergreen explained. “Let me show you how it works.” He took Josh’s Pokeputer and pointed it at Twigillo, who was still sleeping next to Josh. “Gather around.” The three teens gathered around Evergreen (Alexis cringed her nose a bit at Josh, who still smelled a little despite the shower), and watched as a picture of Twigillo came up on the screen.

“Twigillo. Type: Grass. The Armadillo Pokemon. This Pokemon spends almost all of its life in forests. It feeds on small plants, as well as the soil they are planted in, and nuts.”

“Pretty cool, eh?” he said as he gave Josh his Pokeputer back. “You can also look up attacks for your Pokemon and the ones you’re fighting, to get a better idea of how to beat them.” The three trainers fiddled with their Pokeputers for a few seconds and then stashed them in their packs.

"And now my young trainers. You must journey to Headrest City across the hills to sign up for the league. There are eight gyms for you to compete in throughout the continent. Once you have all eight you can head back here and train for the Pokemon league. Be wary though, Stagione is not the nicest region to train in. You will meet many people that aren't friendly, so I advice you travel in groups." Evergreen suggested. He then handed each trainer their training licenses.

Alexis stood up and began to walk off. She aimed her hand down and pressed the ring, releasing Felipor as she did. It hoped a bit placing its head against her leg. "Por!" It purred.

"Felipor and I can handle this by ourselves. Thanks for the help professor, but I'm on my own now!" She said and started out of the building. Josh got up as well.

"I'm out of here." Josh said and walked out of the door, Twigillo, who had just woken up, walking next to him. He began to walk down the stairs, and when he was at the bottom, he heard a voice.

"Hey Josh!" He slowly turned around, and saw that it was Marco.

"What do you want?" He asked folding his arms. Twigillo stood awake at his side, but it grew tired and slumped against his leg. Marco began to kick the dirt.

"I know you're a little broke. I've got enough money to feed a city, so I was wondering if you wanted to travel together for a bit...you know, just until we get things situated.” Marco said.

Josh looked at him. "You don't want to travel with me, trust me. There's no part for you in my journey." He said shaking his head. Twigillo woke up, and the two began walking down the stairs again. He then heard Marco releasing Fingame from its Pokering.

When Josh got to the entrance he searched the Pokeputer map to find which way to start. "Headrest City is to the West just a few days walk over the hills." He heard Marco say as he walked by.

"Are you still following me? I told you, beat it. You don't want to hang out with someone like me." He had trouble as his sleeves kept getting in the way of the map. Twigillo rocked sleepily next to him.

Marco stopped walking and rubbed his hand through his own hair. "You know, if you reconsider my suggestion I could buy you some more fashionable attire. And besides, I don't care that you're poor."

"It's not about that... I have something dark inside me. I left on this journey to get it out, hopefully, and having an annoying rich kid like you around isn't going to help me any.”

Marco glared at him. "Look, I didn't do anything to you, alright, I was just offering to help. You don't have to be such a jackass."

Josh moved closer, and looked into Marco’s eyes. "You want my story? Alright, you get it. Six years ago, my father was murdered by a man nicknamed The Black Phantom."

Marco actually laughed, as Josh was expecting him to. "You expect me to believe that? You expect me to believe you that some fairy tale character killed your father."

Josh wasn’t expecting Marco to believe him. The Black Phantom was, after all, a myth, and nobody but Josh had ever seen him, and lived. "I was there," Josh said, baring his teeth. "I saw him. I saw a man dressed in all black appear in the middle of the night, and shoot my father. He was a cop, and a damn good one too... it was because of him that our city was as crime free as it was. But as soon as he died, the city went to the dogs. Crime everywhere, especially drugs... even my own mother became an addict, in light of my father's murder. I couldn't live with her anymore, so I left the house, and had to raise myself on the street, with all the druggies. That's why I smell so bad, like alcohol and marijuana, because I lived out on the street. And you know what? There was only one thing I thought about, the last six years...revenge. Revenge on the man who killed my father. I waited those six years, training my body and skill, for the day when I would meet The Black Phantom again. And of course, thinking about nothing but revenge doesn't turn you into an incredibly nice person. That's why I'm like the way I am today." Then he began walking off, Twigillo walking by him.

"Wait, I'll make you a deal." Marco began to walk forward. Fingame hobbled after trying to keep up as it played with its finger flames. Josh turned around. "If we can at least travel together until Headrest City, I'll get you some new clothes. After that I'll leave and you'll never have to see me again."

Josh looked at the large, purple shirt. "Fine." He stopped to let Marco catch up, then the two began walking together.

"You know this still doesn't make us friends." Marco stated as they turned a corner.

"Agreed..." Josh whispered...

DannyBoy
23rd June 2004, 11:19 PM
Hey you guys! I'll update at both places but I will post here first. This seems to be a great start and I remember you guys talking about it and planning it. All the pokemon you created are great and I love the starters. Mikey's chapter was a bit longer but with both perspective ideas were good but both we equally good in there own way. You both have unique writing styles and it is great seeing you both write a fic and have the first chapter both be from different perspectives.

Didn't see any big terrible mistakes and errors but nothing is perfect and that what makes this good. Overall this is good for a beginning and this must be challenging creating all these new pokemon and places because it takes a lot with making the places since its coming out of your brains. I'll keep reading!

mr_pikachu
24th June 2004, 02:30 PM
Hey, I haven't seen a multi-writer fic since TFIBEFTTOU! Awesome! :)

The characters were good here; I got a very clear mental picture of who everyone is. Nice descriptions, especially with the more striking characters, such as the professor (gotta love the hair!) and Josh. Those two really stood out in my mind. Alexis and Marco were also done well, but they didn't stand out quite like the other two.

There were some nice scenes in this part. The lacrosse game allowed us to get a good feel for everyone's personalities, and the tension between Josh and Marco really gave us an idea of the "darker side" of Marco. He really doesn't understand what it's like to be poor. Those were two excellent additions to these chapters.

However, a few things didn't seem to work as well as they could've. For one thing, the format of Chapter 1 was difficult to deal with, since most of the second half was a review of what took place in the first part. Because of that, I ended up skimming most of RJ's post. It's usually not the best idea to review what's already happened in an entire chapter, even if it's from a different perspective. There are exceptions, but it can get dull for the reader.

Also, a minor grammar error I noticed: Whenever you guys type a normal quotation (i.e. a sentence ending in a period), you say something like... *searches chapter* ... "You don't want to travel with me, trust me. There's no part for you in my journey." He said shaking his head. This sentence is fine in most aspects, but you ended the quotation with a period and continued with He said.... Technically, you're continuing the same thought by telling the reader who spoke the quotation. So, you can't split this up into two separate sentences with a period and capitalization. Instead, the grammatically correct way of saying it is, "You don't want to travel with me, trust me. There's no part for you in my journey," he said shaking his head. The comma shows that the quotation's sentence has ended, while still allowing the complete sentence to continue by telling who was speaking (in this case, "he"). Similarly, having "he" in lowercase keeps the sentence going as well, which is correct. I noticed this grammatical error fairly frequently, which is why I commented. Otherwise, though, you two did well with grammar.

Overall, this was a good beginning. Very good descriptions (not too short, not too lengthy), and nice interaction between the characters as well. Very good opening. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will continue. Keep up the good work! :wave:

mistysakura
25th June 2004, 07:27 AM
Great stuff! Classic revenge combined with good personalities. I think that Marco will learn a lot in this journey... I like complex fics. I agree with mr_pikachu that RJ's part was a bit boring becuase we already knew everything, especially the dialogue, which I totally skipped over. Maybe the first half of the events could be done by Mikey, the second half by RJ or something. Saves it from being repetitive.

Good start.

Mikey
25th June 2004, 09:56 AM
We only planned on having the two seperate viewpoints on Chapter 1, not the whole fic just to let you know. Chapter 2 will only have one viewpoint and RJ and I switch chapters. He does chapter 2, I do 3 and so on. Gym chapters however will be done seperately but they will each be totally different from the other. Anyways, RJ should post chapter 2 soon. :)

RJdude
25th June 2004, 01:39 PM
Okay, here's Chapter 2. I wrote it, with Mikey editing it a litttle. Mikey's gonna write Chapter 3. Enjoy:

Chapter 2: Josh's Memories

“So, why exactly did you leave your home to go on a journey?” Marco asked Josh.

“To start a new life for myself. The past six years I’ve thought of nothing but revenge. It really transforms you in ways you wouldn’t understand.”

“Yeah, I can tell it turned you into the enjoyable person you are today.”

Josh ignored him. “I needed to get out…clear my mind. But I can tell that’s no going to be easy.” He turned to Marco. “So why did you become a trainer? Fame and glory?”

Marco shook his head. “I wanted to prove my parents wrong. They’re both too into themselves to understand me. They don't believe I can amount to anything in life."

“Never take things like parents for granted.”

It had been almost ten hours since Marco and Josh had left Neo Wind City. The two were trekking through a large field. Twigillo lazily hobbled after its trainer as Fingame skipped along stopping every few seconds to inspect things. Long grass swayed in the wind for as far as the eye could see. In the center was a mighty tree that stood high above the landscape shading an area under its canopy. Groups of Rattatta scurried around the field as some Sentrets and Zigzagoon ate under the tree.

“Can we stop now? I’m used to running a lot from lacrosse, but we’ve been walking for four hours.”

Josh looked at the sun. It was starting to sink below the horizon as the sky lit up a brilliant crimson from the parting.

“It’s about 6:00. So yeah, let’s stop for the night.”

“For the night?” Marco asked. “But where are we going to sleep?”

“On the ground.”

“The ground?”

“Yeah…the ground. I know that you’re used to living and sleeping in luxury, but get used to it. You’re out on the open road now so you got to make use of what’s around you.” He walked up to the tree and kneeled down, pushing on the ground. “We can sleep under the tree. The ground is soft, so it won’t bruise your royal ***.” Josh then said mockingly. Right next to him, Twigillo slumped to the floor and fell asleep, curling into a ball and rocking gently.

Josh bent down and petted Twigillo on its nut-like back. “You’re a sleepy guy. Friendly, though.” He took out his Pokeputer. “Let’s see some of your moves.” He pressed a few buttons on his Pokeputer.

“Twigillo’s moves. Move One: Tackle. Move Two: Defense Curl. Move Three: Bullet Seed.”

“Sounds good…hope you like battling as much as you like sleeping.” He then turned to Marco. “You better look up some stuff on your Pokemon so you can actually issue attacks in battle and somewhat put up a fight."

“I think I can manage in battle.” Marco said folding his arms. He then took out his own Pokeputer and pointed it at Fingame who was off to the side sniffing a bright yellow flower.

“Fingame. Type: Fire. The Volcano Pokemon. Fingame are generally very energetic Pokemon. They can't quite control their finger volcanoes yet and so they may flare up unexpectedly.” Marco pushed another button. “Fingame’s moves. Move One: Scratch. Move Two: Smokescreen. Move Three: Ember.”

“Not bad!” Marco said as he looked down at Fingame. “So, buddy, how about you and I catch some friends?”

Josh pointed his arm up and grinned. “There’s your chance.”

Marco peered into the tree to see a small bird Pokemon clung to the bark. It was black with a long pointy beak that repeatedly jabbed at the trunk. The bird flapped a bit pulling away and then stabbed again. It seemed to be searching for food. Marco held up his Pokeputer and scanned it.

“Wopitter. Type: Normal and Flying. The Woodpecker Pokemon. Wopitter are known to be very annoying. Trainers find it hard to handle the Pokemon's constant need to peck something. This Pokemon uses its beak to make holes in trees big enough to live in."

Marco took out a red Pokejewel and held it up. The red surface reflected against the sunset. “You’re mine, Wopitter. Pokejewel go!”

He pulled back his hand and tossed the jewel at the confused Pokemon, who looked up a second before the Pokejewel hit. The Pokejewel then struck the Wopitter, cascading it in red energy and sucking the Pokemon into the jewel. The Pokejewel began to shake, but after a few seconds, red energy spewed out as fast as it had entered and reformed as Wopitter.

“What!” Marco gasped.

Josh gave a small smile. “You know, you typically need to weaken the Pokemon before you try to catch it.”

“I know that.” He looked back at Fingame who was biting at the flames on its fingers. “Fingame, get in there!”

“Fin!” Fingame jumped in front of Marco, its fingers erupting in excitement.

“Okay Fingame, use Scratch!”

Fingame raised its claws, and then ran at Wopitter. Wopitter flapped its wings pulling away from the tree. It then let out a small squawk before flying down towards Fingame.

“Fin!” Wopitter hit Fingame causing the shocked Pokemon to fall back. Wopitter then returned to its position on the tree. Fingame regained its footing shaking off the attack.

“Darn, a Tackle… okay Fingame, use Smokescreen!”

Fingame opened its mouth and then shot a stream of smoke towards Wopitter, covering it in a thick haze. It seemed as if the Pokemon disappeared, but Wopitter emerged from the attack seconds later. Instead of coming in for another tackle, Wopitter flew down and began to peck at Fingame.

“Fin! Fin! Fin! Fin! Fin!” Fingame cried as Wopitter delivered each peck.

“Crap, a Peck… okay Fingame, use an Ember attack!”

Wopitter stopped assaulting Fingame and began to fly away, but Fingame was beginning to lift its fingers.

“Fin!” Fingame screamed as several tiny fireballs shot off of its hands at Wopitter.

“PIT!” Wopitter screeched as the fireballs hit it with perfect accuracy. Wopitter’s wing suddenly burst into flames. “Wopitter, Wopitter, Wopitter!” it cried as it flapped its wing furiously to try and get the flame out.

When it was out, the Wopitter then took to the sky and flew away.

“Wait, come back!” Marco yelled. “I’m not finished with you!”

Josh gave another small laugh. “Oh well.”

Marco turned to him. “I’d like to see you do better.”

Josh looked up at the sky. The sun was almost gone and he saw heavy storm clouds coming their way. There would be time, however, before the sun set and the skies opened.

“Fine.” Josh looked around, and saw a group of Rattata not far from where he was now. There were five of them; two full grown Rattata, and three smaller ones- babies, Josh presumed. One of the full grown Rattata was slightly bigger than the other, and Josh assumed it was the father.

Josh bent down and petted Twigillo on the head. It opened its eyes; saw Josh and grew happy. “Twig!”

“How’d you like to battle?”

“Twig! Twig!” Twigillo grew even happier, and then Josh stood, and Twigillo walked in front of him. They walked towards the group of Rattata, and Twigillo walked closer to it. The larger Rattata noticed this, and leapt forward to meet Twigillo. “Rattata!” it cried.

“Okay Twigillo, use a Tackle!”

The armadillo Pokemon began to charge at Rattata, who easily leaped aside. Then the Rattata began its own charge towards Twigillo.

“Defense Curl!”

With that, Twigillo curled into a ball, so that its nut-like shell was covering it. The Rattata hit Twigillo, but only bounced off; its head slightly hurting.

“Bullet Seed!”

Twigillo came out of its ball shape, opened its mouth, and then shot about twenty bullet-like seeds at Rattata.

“Rat-rat-rat-rat-rat!” Rattata cried as each seed hit it, knocking it back several feet.

“Tackle!”

Twigillo charged forward and hit Rattata at full force, sending it back even more and onto its stomach; barely able to get up.

Josh took out a Pokejewel, and was about to throw it at Rattata, when he looked over at the other four Rattata. Although it was getting dark, Josh could see that all four looked worried; even the three babies.

He put the Pokejewel away. “Come back, Twigillo.”

“Twig!” Twigillo happily walked back to Josh, and the Rattata Twigillo had battled got up; went back to the other four, and then the five ran out of sight.

“Why did you let it go? You could have caught it!” Marco exclaimed as Josh and Twigillo walked back towards him.

“That Rattata was the father of those three baby Rattata, and probably the husband of the other full grown Rattata. I couldn’t take it away from them, especially if it was just trying to protect them.”

Marco understood. Josh probably hadn't caught it because it symbolized his need for a father in a way. Although he didn’t believe that Josh’s father was killed by the Black Phantom, who was only a myth, he did believe him that his father was murdered, and after words, his mother became a drug addict, forcing him to live on the streets. By whom his father was killed by was another question.

The two teens and their Pokemon then went under the big tree where Twigillo instantly fell asleep. Not long afterwards the sun set fully, and Marco’s first night out in the wild had begun.

Marco tried to fall asleep but couldn’t. Josh also seemed to have trouble resting. The two sat there in silence, and eventually, it began to rain very heavily. Thunder and lightning echoed across the field. Luckily, the tree’s thick branches and leaves kept the rain from falling on Marco and Josh.

“Good idea to get under this tree.” Marco said to Josh.

“You pick these things up as time goes on.” Josh replied without looking back at Marco.

“But, shouldn’t we worry about the lightning hitting the tree?”

“I wouldn’t worry about it.” Then he looked out into the field, and saw them. A pair of eyes, eyes with blood red irises.

Marco had noticed it too. “Josh? What is that?”

“Grrrr….” Josh heard the creature, but still wondered what it was. Suddenly, lightning flashed, thunder banged, and Josh saw the creature.

It was a cat, a very large cat, about four feet high, and ten feet long. It was black… no, not entirely black…it was a blackish silver, as though it wasn’t solid.

“RRRRAAR!” the creature roared. It had a mouthful of long, sharp, white fangs.

“Josh!” Marco said worried. Josh remained calm, but he was slightly worried himself. Although he thought the creature looked familiar.

Then, with another flash of lightning, the creature vanished, as though it was never there.

Marco was breathing heavily. “What was that?”

“I don’t know.” But Josh was sure he had seen the creature before.

“I think I saw it before, the night before I went to Evergreen’s, but it wasn’t as threatening.” Marco remarked.

“Well, it’s gone now. Just go to sleep.” Josh replied.

Marco didn’t think he could fall asleep after that, but still, he laid down on the ground and closed his eyes.

Josh sat down, his back to the tree trunk, and also closed his eyes. He eventually fell asleep, and began to dream.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A ten year old Josh Seraph, with short brown hair, straight white teeth, and bright black eyes, was walking next to his father. It was midnight, and normally in Stagione it was very smart to stay off the streets at night. But in Pace City, easily the most crime free city in Stagione, it was perfectly alright.

This was all because of, Josh thought, his father, Angel. He was a cop, and according to his coworkers, an extremely good one. It was because of him they told Josh, that Pace City was so empty of crime, especially when compared to the rest of Stagione. Most people didn’t even bother to try anything funny because of fear of going to jail, something inevitable with a city with Angel Seraph working in it.

Josh looked up at his father, and Angel smiled. Angel was tall, and, like Josh, had brown hair and black eyes. He had a very calm face, and never got angry, unless he was after a criminal, who he would catch every time. Josh was very close to Angel, and not only considered him to be his father, but his best friend.

Angel had recently busted a group of people with possession of drugs, including marijuana and much worse things. It was a big deal, because the people were planning on selling the drugs, and if they did, it would be very hard to control it, and it would no longer make Pace City a safe place to live. Luckily, Angel had caught them, and although he didn’t catch the kingpin, he had arrested everyone else involved, and had secured the drugs. That night, Angel had decided to take a midnight walk, and since he was up, he had brought Josh with him.

“Angel, why are you so sure that there won’t be any problems from the kingpin escaping?” Josh asked. Wanting to make sure that Josh knew he was equal to Angel, Angel had always let him call him by his first name. He also talked to his son about things most parents wouldn’t.

“He won’t be causing trouble for a while,” Angel said with a smile.

“Yeah, he’s probably smart enough know not to mess with you!” Josh said and Angel gave a laugh.

“But Angel, is it true that you think there’s someone behind the whole drug thing even more powerful than the kingpin you saw escape?”

Angel sighed. “I hope not, but I have been thinking about it for a little while.”

“Who do you think it is?”

“Well, the problem is that most people don’t believe the person I think is behind it really exists. Neither did I; for a while, but now I’m starting to…” then he stopped. He had thought that he had just heard some kind of roar. “Something’s wrong, I can feel it.”

“What is it?”

“I’m not sure… but in any case, you should go now… I think it’s going to get dangerous.”

“But…”

“Go! Go home, and don’t come back here!”

Josh did as he was told, running forward, and then turned around a corner. He stopped there, and looked around the corner, hiding himself next to a building.

Josh saw Angel look around the street he was in. Then, suddenly, a man appeared, as if from out of nowhere. Josh blinked, to make sure what he saw was real, but it was… a man had just appeared in front of Angel-like magic.

The man was wearing all black. He sported a black suit, with a black shirt, a black jacket, black pants, and a black tie. He was wearing black gloves that covered his whole hand, and on his fingers he wore rings, with jewels on it. He was also wearing a black cape, a black top hat (which covered the color of his hair), and finally, a black mask, which was shaped perfectly like a human face, with holes only for the eyes and the mouth.

Angel starred at this man for a few seconds. He didn’t seem worried. “So, you do exist. For a while, I thought you were only a myth.”

Josh saw the mysterious masked man smile through the hole near his mouth. “Yes, a myth; a myth of a criminal wearing all black who could appear and disappear like shadow, usually in the dark of the night.” He then looked straight at Angel. “So, am I correct that you are the legendary Angel Seraph, the cop who, so they say, single-handedly made this city as crime free as it is?”

Angel said nothing.

“Well, you recently made a drug bust, I believe. A very good one… who knows what this city would have been had those drugs got into the hands of the civilians of this city… as well as the children.”

Josh, who was still looking from around the corner, saw Angel’s face flinch for a moment.

“You were behind that! Just like I thought, you’re in charge of that drug operation!” He roared clenching his fists.

Josh saw another smile. “Yes, drug dealing is one of my… shall I say, hobbies. Not one of my favorites, but…” he smiled again. “I have tried to start a drug business here for a while… but it seems I have met my match in you… you’re just too good of a cop, I’m afraid to admit. But that ends tonight.”

Josh saw Angel’s face grow worried, but Josh wasn’t sure what the mysterious man meant.

The man smiled again. “First, however, I want to test you on something.”

“What is it, Phantom?”

“A Pokemon battle, of course! I hear you’re quite the trainer.” Then, just as the man had mysteriously appeared, something else suddenly shaped. It was some kind of creature. It looked like a large black cat; like a panther, but it wasn’t quite black… it was almost a silvery black. It didn’t look solid, like a ghost. It had sharp teeth and sharp claws. It's feet were completely disconnected from its legs.

“A Phanther!” Exclaimed Angel. “So that’s how you…”

“Yes, indeed. A Phanther…another ‘myth’, something you thought didn’t exist… until tonight. Well, I want you to battle it with your best Pokemon. Amuse me.”

“Fine.” Angel then extended his right hand. A ring with a green jewel on it came forward on his right ring finger. The jewel then released green energy, which formed into the shape of a Sceptile, a Grass type dinosaur-like Pokemon with sharp, stiff leaves on its arm. Josh grew slightly excited, as he loved to see Angel battle with his Sceptile, who was Angel’s friend since he was Josh’s age.

“A Sceptile? Is that really the best you can do? Well, let’s see your skill.” The Phantom smirked.

“Okay, Sceptile, use Leaf Blade!” Angel ordered.

“Scep!” the leaves on Sceptile’s arms began to glow. Then Sceptile raised its arms, and ran towards the creature. Sceptile was fast and it took it only a few seconds to reach the area where the creature was standing. But when Sceptile slashed at the creature with its leaves, it was gone! It had disappeared as easily as it had appeared!

“Rar!” Josh then saw the creature ten feet behind Sceptile, and it let out a small roar. Then it opened its mouth and shot a black beam at Sceptile. The beam hit Sceptile in the back, and it fell forward with a cry.

But how could the creature be back there! It was just in front of Sceptile! Then the creature disappeared again, and reappeared right in front of Sceptile, its red eyes glaring at it.

Angel’s calm face grew more worried. “Sceptile, paralyze it with a Dragonbreath!” Angel thought that if he could slow it down, it couldn’t move as fast as it did… after all, there was no way it could just disappear and reappear at will like that… or could it?

Sceptile stood up, opened its mouth, and shot a stream of green flames at the creature, who did not disappear this time. But the flames seemed to go right though he creature, not harming it at all.

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to do much better than that, Mr. Seraph.”

“Try another Leaf Blade!”

Sceptile’s arm leaves began to glow again, but when it slashed at the creature, it had disappeared again, this time reappearing several feet behind Sceptile. The creature took a quick step towards Sceptile, then leaped on its back.

“Sceptile, watch out!” Angel screamed.

“Scep!” Sceptile cried as the creature’s pounce brought Sceptile to the ground. Sceptile struggled to get up, but the creature was on its back, clawing at it, and causing Sceptile to scream into the night. After a little bit of clawing, the creature steeped very firmly on Sceptile’s back, and Josh heard a crunch.

“Scep...” Sceptile whimpered weakly from the pain of its back being broken. It was panting hard, obviously in an extreme amount of pain.

“Finish it...”

With that order from the masked man, Josh and Angel both watched in horror as he creature opened its mouth and quickly lunged at Sceptile’s neck with it’s mouth. The creature bit down on Sceptile’s jugular, and Sceptile stopped breathing.

No, Josh thought. How could this be? His father’s best Pokemon killed by this creature… and it had no chance. The creature was swift, quick, and deadly… but how did it move so quickly?

The creature then disappeared, and reappeared at the masked man’s side. Angel dropped to his knees and put a hand on Sceptile’s body. “My old friend Sceptile… I’m so sorry.” Josh thought he saw a tear come out of Angel’s eye, something he had never seen before… Angel was the bravest person he had ever known.

“A pity. But you shouldn’t worry; you’ll be with it soon.” The Phantom grinned.

Angel stood up, and looked at the man; at his masked face.

“You have delayed my plans for a while, and I’ve grown impatient. You’re reign as the protector of this city has ended, and a new reign of darkness will begin.” The man then opened his jacket, reached into the pocket and brought out a gun; a silver pistol.

Angel’s face did not have fear on it. “You’re a coward, you know that Phantom. A coward. You hide in shadow; never show yourself to people. And when you do show yourself, you kill the person who saw you, and make it look like something else happen, so you can continue to not exist in the minds of people. If you don’t think you’re a coward, then put the gun down. Fight me like a man.”

The man did not say anything. But as Josh watched, time seemed to slow down. He saw the man point the gun at Angel, and then pull the trigger.

BAM!

He shot a single bullet, and it went right into Angel’s chest, where his heart rested, and Angel fell onto the ground. The man looked down, smiled, and then both him and his creature disappeared.

“ANGEL!” Josh screamed as he ran out from behind the corner. He kneeled down near his father who was still breathing, but blood was coming out of his mouth and his chest.

“Josh… my son… did you see what just happened?”

“Yes,” Josh replied. His eyes began to fill with tears.

“Josh… listen to me. That man… he is called the Black Phantom. He was thought to only be a myth, but he is real.”

Josh nodded.

“He is very dangerous.” Angel coughed, and blood came out. “As I thought, he was behind the drug scheme, but if I am right, there is much more to him than that.” He coughed again, and more blood came out.

“Just do one thing for me, son, because I’m not going to last much longer. Promise me…” he coughed once more. “Promise me that for the rest of your life, you will have courage. Never be afraid to face your fears, and when you do face them, face them like a man.”

More tears filled Josh’s black eyes. “I promise.”

Angel smiled. “Good. Just… have… courage… son.”

And then his eyes closed, and he stopped breathing.

“Angel! Dad! DAD!” Josh screamed into the night.

~~~~~~~

Josh woke up. It was morning, about six, and the grass was wet from the storm before. Marco, Twigillo, and Fingame were all still sleeping.

Josh stood up and began to walk around, thinking. That was the first time he had dreamed about his father’s death in a long time. He had forgotten about some of the smaller details. The only thing he thought about for the last six years was that moment when the Black Phantom pulled the trigger. It was that one moment that had sparked what Josh would become during the next six years.

He thought about his father’s last words to him, and the promise Josh made. Although he was sincere when he made it, he wondered if he had kept his promise during the last six years. Was staying in Pace City and thinking about nothing but revenge the most courageous thing he could do? Would Angel really have wanted Josh to become a teenager, a young adult, thinking about nothing but revenge on the mysterious man who had murdered him? He remembered what Marco said to him when he asked if he could join him for a little while. He had asked him why he had to be such a jackass. What would Angel think if he knew that’s what Josh was like now: dark and full of revenge?

A yawn and some noise behind him indicated that Marco had woken up. “You’re up early.”

“That thing we saw yesterday is called a Phanter,” Josh told him, remembering his dream. “I saw one on the night the Black Phantom murdered my father. The Black Phantom seemed to be controlling it.”

“A Phanther?” Marco asked confused as Josh walked up to him. He still didn’t believe about the Black Phantom, but decided to check this out. He took out a Pokeputer, and did a search on ‘Phanther’. Sure enough, a Pokedex entry came up. It showed the large, black, ghost-like cat.

“Phanther. Type: Unknown, possibly Dark or Ghost. The Phantom Pokemon. This Pokemon’s existence is still debatable, as it has only been spotted several times. Most experts, however, regard it as only a myth. It is said that this Pokemon is made of pure evil, and has no soul. It is also said that it uses shadow-like tactics, appearing and disappearing wherever it wants at will to serve it’s only purpose in life: to kill.”

“Sounds friendly,” Marco said, putting his Pokeputer back in his pocket. But then he had a thought. Phanther was thought to only be a myth, and yet Marco had seen one last night. And Josh had said he saw one on the night the Black Phantom, another myth, supposedly killed his father. Maybe Josh was telling the whole truth after all. He had to figure that out later.

“We better get going,” Josh told him. He walked over to Twigillo, and woke it up. It looked happy to see him, as always. “We’re going now,” Josh told his Pokemon. “It might be rough, so time to get into your Pokering.” Josh pushed the green jewel on his right ring finger Pokering and it sent a small green beam out, turning Twigillo into green energy, and then sucking it into the Pokering. Marco did the same with Fingame.

“Well, let’s head out,” Josh said to Marco. The sooner we get to Headrest City, the sooner I can get rid of you.”

“And vice versa.”

With that exchange of insults, the two continued towards Headrest City.

----------------------
Pokemon Introduced in this Chapter:
- Wopitter (Normal/Flying)
- Phanther (Dark/Ghost)

I decided that we should do this from now on, to avoid confusion to you guys as to what our new Pokemon are... the only other ones you've seen so far are the starters; Twigillo (Grass) Fingame (Fire) and Felipor (Water). Mikey put pictures of the starters, as well as their evolutions, on the first post.

DannyBoy
25th June 2004, 04:18 PM
Like I said at SPP good chapter. Just skimmed through it again and again its a good chapter. I liked how he didn't catch Ratatta and let it go be with its family. Also again the battle was good! Couple of little mistakes but nothing huge so keep it up!

mr_pikachu
26th June 2004, 01:30 AM
Good chapter. Some nice emotions there, and a revealing flashback. I really enjoyed this one.

And yeah, Mikey, I knew you guys were going to be alternating from now on. Still, first impressions count, and it was a bit difficult to get through the first part. I think mistysakura's suggestion would have worked well. Still, this is turning out nicely. Somehow, I think Marco and Josh will be together longer than they think, though... :)

mistysakura
28th June 2004, 10:26 PM
Good stuff, loved the flashback. It seems so strange how Angel was keeping the city crime-free practically single-handedly. The spread of drugs after his death became clearer though. And nice stuff about Marco's ignorance about battling and catching Pokemon. "Darn, a Tackle!" :tongue: And he used Fingame's attacks in the order the Pokedex showed, heh. Although I did notice Josh did the same.

It shows that Josh, although wanting revenge, isn't a dark person... nice touch on the Rattatas.

Mikey
13th July 2004, 04:42 PM
Ok, after a few weeks of waiting chapter 3 is now avaliable for your reading pleasure. Here you go!

Chapter 3: Getting Up to Speed!

It was another bright and beautiful day in Stagoine as Marco and Josh headed for Headrest City. The two had recently come to an open trail that led along the forest. It was a rather hot day but Josh seemed content. Marco on the other hand was dragging himself along in a state of depression.

"Dude, how can people live like this? I can't spend years walking from place to place in weather like this!" Marco yelled up to Josh who was several feet ahead of him. Though Josh was tired as well, he was used to walking from place to place. He slowly came to a stop and stood listening for something. "What the hell are you doing now? Are we finally taking a break?" Marco asked.

"Shhh…" Josh replied. His ears perked up and he listened as the wind ruffled his brown hair. With the wind came a sound…very faint, but Josh knew what it was. He turned around and glared at Marco. "If you're in such dire need of a rest, there's a lake just to the right past all those pine trees." He informed Marco while pointing to the right where the road met the forest. Marco cocked his head and folded his arms.

"And how do you know this?" He asked. Josh turned around and started forward.

"The wind is blowing from the right and I can hear water with it." He replied. The teen then turned around to see Marco rushing into the forest. "Hey, wait up!" He yelled and chased after.

Marco pushed his way through the thick foliage past tightly packed pine trees until he came out into an open field. Sure enough, a small lake was just a few feet in front of him. The area was beautiful. Light breezes blew across the plain bending the grass as it went. Daises and other assorted flowers were also spread about. Marco was in awe. He had never seen such a breathtaking place. Living in the pollution of the city wasn't exactly a humble scene.

"Well, are you going to refresh yourself or not?" Josh asked exiting the forest behind him.

"Of course…" Marco replied and headed down to the lake's edge. He cupped his hands and placed them in the water; bringing them to his face and feeling the coolness of it. The teen wiggled his pack off and set it down; then placed his hands in the water again. Josh slowly walked down to the lake with his hands in his pockets. He kept his distance from Marco and leaned down to refresh himself as well. He cupped his hands and stuck them in, but the sleeves of the large purple shirt got in the way.

"You still owe me some new clothes…" He remarked without looking up from the lake. Marco turned to him and gave a low grin.

"I could've bought you some in Neo Wind City, but I thought it would be fun to make you wear those for a few weeks." He smiled. He then turned back to his task but something caught his attention on the other side of the lake. A small gopher-like Pokemon was filling its VERY large cheeks with water. Its small brown body was covered in fur, and its appearance was odd. Because of its massive cheeks, the Pokemon's head looked bigger than its body and its limbs were all very stubby. To complete the package was a set of cute round black eyes and a stubby tail.

"What the hell is that thing?" Marco asked Josh pointing to the creature.

"I don't know…why don't you look it up with the Pokeputer?" Josh remarked sarcastically. Marco glared at him and then turned and fished through his pack. He pulled out his golden Pokeputer and flipped it open; pointing it at the funny creature across the lake.

"Cheepher…the gopher Pokemon. Cheepher love nothing better than to store things in their cheek pouches. Trainers find it hard to cope with as they constantly loose things and find them later in the Pokemon's cheeks." The Pokeputer explained.

The Cheepher stocked up on water and then slowly waddled back up towards a small tree where a teenage girl was waiting. Marco stood up; grabbed his pack and began to walk around the lake. "What are you doing?" Josh asked standing up.

"I'm going to battle her!" Marco replied. Josh shook his head and slowly followed.

"This should be a blast." He said.

Marco walked up the small incline on the other side of the river to where the girl was sitting. She was washing her hands with the water Cheepher brought until she noticed the approaching boy. "Can I help you?" She asked nervously standing up. Marco could tell she was a bit worried. He would be too. Stagione wasn't really the best place to have strangers approach you. They usually meant trouble.

"Hi, I'm Marco Cardella. I couldn't help but notice your Cheephy there." He said. The girl stood up and backed slightly away.

"It's a Cheepher…" She replied.

"Oh…my bad. Anyways, I was just wondering if you wanted to battle. I'm not going to hurt you or anything. I'm a trainer as well." Marco said hoping she would stay. The girl stared at him for a little bit and then slowly opened her mouth.

"I'm Kerrie Ridel from Headrest City. Are you by any chance the one that owns the Cardella Resort there?" She inquired.

"Yep, my parents do." Marco replied putting his hand behind his neck embarrassedly. The girl nodded and slowly walked towards him. She looked about the same age as Marco. Her long black hair was curled up into a ponytail and she was wearing baggy green Capri's and a red shirt.

"Well now that I sort of know you're not a criminal, I'd be happy to have a match." She replied. Cheepher's ears perked up at this and it waddled down to her. "What are the rules?" She then asked.

"One on one ok? I only have one Pokemon as I just started my journey." Marco replied. The girl nodded.

"Same here. Cheepher was my first." She said petting the Pokemon's head.

"Ok then." Marco said stepping back a little bit. He lifted his hand and pressed the red jewel on his ring finger's Pokering. The ring spun forward to the tip of his finger flashing a blast of red light and then spun back to the mid section. The red energy formed into the shape of Marco's Fingame on the ground in front of him. "I choose Fingame." He said grinning.

"Let's get this show on the road! Cheepher, use pound!" Kerrie commanded. Her Pokemon wobbled forward towards Fingame.

"Fingame, use your…" Marco began but slowly stopped. He turned back to Josh who was sitting down watching intently. "Hey Josh…what attacks does Fingame know again?" He asked. Josh sighed and fell back.

"Cheeeeeee!" Cheepher squeaked as it came upon Fingame. It smiled and then smacked the Pokemon in the face.

"Hey!" Marco roared. He then turned back to Josh. "Hurry up and tell me!" He yelled. Josh leaned back up and smiled.

"It's more fun this way." He replied. Marco glared at him and turned back. "Fingame, use pound too!" Marco ordered. Fingame turned around blinking confused. "Damn, you don't know that attack?" Marco asked. Fingame shook its head and its finger flames began to erupt.

"You know…jokes like this get old real fast Josh. Just tell me the damn attacks or no clothes for you." Marco roared.

"Shouldn't you know your own Pokemon's attacks by now?" Kerrie remarked. "Cheepher, use pound again!" Cheepher smacked Fingame in the back and the Pokemon toppled over. Its finger flames began to burn the grass on the ground.

"Why don't you use the Pokeputer again? That's how you learned the first time." Josh suggested.

"That's how you learned the first time…" Marco repeated mocking Josh in a weird voice. He then pulled out his Pokeputer and scanned through it. "Ahh, Fingame, use ember!" He commanded. Fingame stood up and turned around, its bright blue eyes fixed on Cheepher.

"FING!" It cried and lifted up its fingers releasing tiny flame balls. The attack collided with Cheepher who rolled back in pain. It landed hard on its bottom and began to cry.

"Cheepher, it's ok! Use cheek stuff!" Kerrie said calming her Pokemon down. The tiny rodent began to pick at the grass around it and stuff it in its cheeks. When it was done, it sat up ready for battle.

"What did that do? All it did was eat some grass! Wow, very powerful!" Marco said ridiculing her. Kerrie smiled and rubbed her hand through her hair.

"Cheek stuff allows Cheepher to regain energy by feasting and holding food in its mouth. So it's like your little ember attack did nothing." She grinned. Marco was in shock.

"Oh yeah, well two can play at that game! Fingame, use cheek stuff!" Marco yelled. His Pokemon turned towards him again and stared confused. "You can do it!" Marco said and bent down. He pulled some grass from the ground and walked forward; grabbing his Pokemon and beginning to stuff the grass in its mouth.

"Ga…me!" Fingame cried as its mouth was stuffed with grass.

"Marco, stop! That won't work!" Josh shouted. Marco pulled back to see his work.

"See, now just swallow it!" He ordered. Fingame spat the grass out and lit its finger flames. It let out an ember charring all the grass that it had just gotten rid of. It then lifted its hands higher and shot more embers at Marco. "Hey watch it! Not me, attack Cheepher!" Marco roared. Fingame began to giggle and then turned back towards the match.

"Marco, Fingame, can only use scratch, ember, and smokescreen until it gains experience in battle. Stop trying to teach it other attacks." Josh replied. He grew tired of Marco's ditzy actions.

"Fine…Fingame use smokescreen!" Marco ordered. Fingame opened its mouth and launched a thick black smoke into the sky. Cheepher began to cough and back away.

"Cheepher, suck that smoke into your mouth!" Kerrie ordered. Cheepher began to inhale causing all the smoke to disappear into the creature's cheeks. Smoke began to emanate from its ears and it looked a little sick.

"Wow, talk about second hand smoking. Fingame, use ember!" Marco grinned. He seemed to be getting the hang of things. Fingame lifted its hands and launched another barrage of flames. Cheepher ducked and cried out as the tiny flame balls collided with it.

"Cheepher, use cheek stuff!" Kerrie commanded. Cheepher sat down again and began to put grass in its mouth. It looked refreshed as ever when it stopped.

"That attack isn't fair! Fingame, use scratch!" Marco ordered. Fingame rushed in with its volcanic fingers outstretched. It swiped hard but Cheepher dodged.

"Cheepher, use rollout!" Kerrie ordered. The battle was now escalating. Cheepher got on its side and began to roll towards Fingame.

"Fingame, use ember!" Marco commanded. Before Fingame even reacted, Cheepher plowed right over it and continued to roll.

"Come back for another pass!" Kerrie said. Fingame slowly got up panting hard. The attack did major damage.

"Marco, Fingame's major advantage is speed. Don't just blindly attack when Cheepher is coming for it. Use Fingame's awesome speed to dodge and then attack!" Josh said.

Marco nodded and turned back to the match. "Fingame, dodge!" He yelled. Fingame leapt quickly out of the way as Cheepher rolled by. "Now use ember!"

"FINGAME!" It growled and launched another ember barrage. The attack scored a direct hit; stopping Cheepher in mid roll and sending it sprawling across the ground.

"Now use scratch!" Marco ordered. Fingame rushed speedily in and smashed its fingers against Cheepher. The Pokemon cried out and fell down; not getting up.

"He actually did it…" Josh said in disbelief.

"I actually did it!" Marco repeated leaping up.

"Holy crap I was beaten by a ditz." Kerrie whispered with her back hunched over. Her hands were straight down in front of her and her jaw was dropped. Cheepher slowly regained consciousness and started to cry. It wobbled back to Kerrie who began to console it. Fingame smiled pleased with its win. It had many bruises and was panting heavily.

"Fingame take a rest!" Marco said holding up his hand. The ring shifted to the front recalling Fingame and then spun back. Kerrie held up her hand and recalled Cheepher.

"Good job. You put up tough battle for someone who doesn't know how to." Kerrie said approaching Marco and holding out her hand. Marco shook it and smiled. "Guess I'll have to double my training." She then added in. With that, Kerrie turned and headed down the riverbed and into the forest.

"Well, what do you say we get this show on the road again?" Josh asked standing up. Marco nodded and picked up his pack from the ground. The two boys refreshed themselves at the lake again and then proceeded through the forest and onto a busy road.

"So much for beauty…" Marco said as they entered the highway to see cars hovering by shooting exhaust into the air. The side of the road where the two boys were walking was covered in litter. Marco's feet crunched against old pop cans as he tried to avoid stepping on them. "Yuck, this isn't sanitary at all!" He yelled up to Josh. The other teen didn't seem to mind. "You know, if I had my hovcedes we'd be halfway through the continent by now." Marco continued talking. Josh suddenly turned and glared at him.

"Can’t we just get to Headrest City without you complaining every two seconds?" He roared. Marco fell back stumbling over some plastic bags as Josh got in his face. "You're on the road for the next couple years. This is how we travel, understand?" Josh asked. Marco began to smile and slowly got up.

"On the road again! Just can't wait to get on the road again! Seeing things that I may never see again!" He started to sing and walked forward past Josh. "Come on, sing with me Joshy!" I can't wait to get on the road again!" Josh placed his hand to his forehead and slouched.

"I cannot wait until we get to Headrest City." He sighed and slowly followed Marco. Suddenly, a large hovering jeep sped by the road as some hovering cop cars gave chase. Marco turned back to Josh.

"They have high speed chases outside of the city?" He asked. Before Josh could answer Marco was running down the highway. Marco then felt himself tumbling over something and landed hard face first on the ground. "Ow!" He cried and turned around. There was no sign of anything that he could have tripped over. He then turned and looked out at the busy highway where a small brown bird Pokemon was racing across. Its body was perfectly horizontal and its feet were covered in a thick cloud of dust as it raced across the road avoiding the cars. It has small beady black eyes and a set of three purple tail feathers. Its head was covered in the same purplish hue.

Marco fiddled through his pack and brought out his Pokeputer. "Spedoad. Type- Flying/Normal. The roadrunner Pokemon. Spedoad's true feet have never been seen because of the dust its extremely fast-moving legs pick up. Even when standing still this Pokemon's legs move constantly. It always feels the need to be running." The Pokeputer explained.

The Pokemon continued to weave through the hovering cars before doubling back towards Marco. The teen stood up and pulled a sky blue Pokejewel from his pack. "I'm going to catch it!" He grinned. Josh caught up and sighed.

"You have to weaken it first." He explained. Marco shot him a look.

"I know that!" He replied and turned back as Spedoad made it to the side of the road. "Fingame, I choose you!" The ring spun to the front of his finger releasing Marco's tired Pokemon. Fingame was exhausted and slumping to the ground.

"Marco, your Pokemon is in no condition to battle. Let's just had to the Pokecenter and then come back and find it." Josh suggested. Marco didn't seem to like this idea. He turned towards the teen and brushed back a strand of hair that dropped from his spiked hair.

"Spedoad is like the fastest Pokemon there is. I don't think I'll have another chance at it!" He commented and turned back. "Fingame, try to match its speed! Use ember!" Fingame slowly stood up propping itself upright with one arm. Spedoad noticed it and raced right at the Pokemon; smashing right by and sending Fingame flying. The fire Pokemon hit the ground headfirst and didn't get up.

"That was a Speed Bunt attack." Josh told the shocked Marco. The teen didn't want to recall his Pokemon, but Fingame had no will left. Sadly, he recalled it back to its Pokering and eyed the Spedoad.

"Spe, spe!" The roadrunner chirped and then turned around. It began to race down the road and disappeared into the distance.

"Look, it's heading towards Headrest City. We can just go there; heal the Pokemon, and then find it." Josh suggested. Marco shook his head and smiled.

"There's no time. But I know a way to catch that Spedoad without using Fingame." He smirked.

"How?" Josh wondered.

"I saw this one show on Classic Cartoon Network where some coyote tried to catch a roadrunner. How different can this be?" Marco replied and began to run down the road. Josh closed his eyes and sighed before following the teen.

The two rushed down the road for about another half hour before finally coming to the outskirts of Headrest City. The city was much larger than Neo Wind but didn't have as many high rise buildings. The city got its name from a busy round-a-bout at the entrance of the road that held a large statue in the middle in the shape of a face. It had been there for many years and natural wonder movements got a bill passed to protect it. The city was also well known for its many clubs and bars.

Marco came to a halt when he neared the round-a-bout. There was a large traffic backup and people were honking like mad. "Where'd Spedoad go?" He said scanning the area. Josh caught up and folded his arms.

"It's probably miles from here by now." He answered. To their right, a fat balding man stuck his head out of the window of his Pick up Hove. He seemed very agitated and clumsily lit a cigar.

"Excuse me sir. Do you know what the holdup is?" Marco asked him. The man turned towards Marco and flicked the cigar; sending ashes to the ground.

"Apparently some Pokemon got in the way of some cars. Caused some accidents." He coughed out. Marco took a step towards the pick up and stared at the man.

"Is the Pokemon ok?" He asked. The man shrugged and coughed again; blowing smoke into Marco's face.

"Who really gives a damn anyways. The person and the Pokemon were both speeding. It was one of them high speed chases. The jeep sped into the round-a-bout trying to evade the cops and the Pokemon raced right in the way. That thing was probably flattened by the pressure of the hoverwind under the jeep." He cackled.

"Well, thanks for the information sir." Marco said and turned to walk more into the city.

"Where are you going?" Josh asked starting to follow.

"I still have a Spedoad to catch." Marco replied. Josh stopped walking and almost fell over.

"You realize it was probably Spedoad that caused the accident." He commented. "And besides. We should probably get to the Pokecenter and register. Then you owe me a trip to the clothing store."

Marco ignored him and walked into the city. Josh followed the teen until they entered the busy streets. People pushed by them as they headed down the sidewalk. "Where are you going?" Josh asked annoyed.

"I remember a Pokemon Food Market just a block away from my parent's resort. I was about 10 when they built the resort here and I used to go there to watch the Pokemon trainers and their Pokemon." Marco replied as they came to a stop on the corner and waited to cross. The walk sign lit up and the two boys rushed to the opposing side. After several more turns they came to a large red bricked building decked out with many Pokemon sculptures. "Ahh, I told you it was here." Marco grinned and walked into the parking lot. Josh followed him into the doors.

"And what are you going to do with the Pokemon food you buy?" Josh asked chasing Marco down the flying type food isle.

"In that cartoon the coyote lured the roadrunner with some free food. He then pushed a boulder down to try and smash it." Marco grinned pulling some bird food off of the shelf.

"You're going to smash it?" Josh asked in disbelief. "Can't you just go to the Pokecenter; heal Fingame, and catch it the normal way?"

"That would take too long." Marco grinned. Josh sighed and followed the teen to the counter. Marco paid for the bird food and then exited the market. "Now we just find a good place and we're set." Marco grinned.

Several minutes later, Marco stood on top of a small building peering down. On the empty sidewalk below was a bowl full of the bird food he just bought. Josh was across the street sitting on a bench and shaking his head. "This is never going to work. You are a complete moron!" He yelled up to Marco cupping his hands on his mouth.

Suddenly, as if on cue, Spedoad rushed down the road and straight towards the bird food. It stopped just in front of it still pumping dust into the air with its legs. "Holy crap it actually worked…" Josh said in shock and stood up. Spedoad cocked its head and peered at the food before beginning to peck at it. Josh sat back down and folded his arms. "How the hell does this kid do the dumbest things and yet they always work for him…" He thought to himself.

Marco peered down at Spedoad and fiddled with his fingers. After a few seconds, he looked at Josh. "I forgot the boulder…" He yelled down. Josh fell back and the bench toppled over. Marco shrugged and walked away from the side of the roof. Josh slowly got up and saw the black haired teen exiting the doors of the building. Spedoad was now almost done with its meal.

Josh walked across the street and looked straight at Marco. "You drag me into a market and spend our money on food for this Pokemon, you drag me into a dark alleyway of Headrest City…something I'm used to being in, but very stupid on your part…and all that happens is Spedoad gets a free lunch? I could've had my new clothes; been signed up for this league…and been on my way minus you by now!" He yelled.

Josh then realized that Marco wasn't in front of him anymore. He turned to see Marco cautiously approaching the bird. Suddenly, a few cops turned into the alleyway holding a man in cuffs. "Is somebody down here?" They called out turning on some flashlights.

"Great…on top of that we're being arrested." Josh muttered. The cops came into view and flung the cuffed man forward. He had long black hair and a dirty face. Josh recognized him as Kevin, a street thief that he had come across before. He was known to be very dangerous, but he had delt with him before. Still, Marco might not know... although he couldn't object at this point to Marco being mugged by this guy.

"What are you kids doing down here? Don't you know it's dangerous?" A cop asked.

Josh wanted to say that they were no where as dangerous as the streets in Pace City, but instead, he nudge his finger at Marco "Try telling him that."

"I'm trying to catch this Spedoad." Marco replied pointing at the Pokemon that had just finished eating. Kevin's eyes suddenly burst into flames of rage.

"That's the Pokemon that got in my way! It's its fault that I'm here right now!" He yelled and pulled away from the cop. The cop was caught off guard by the sudden struggle and released the angry man. Kevin knocked Marco aside and dealt a swift kick to Spedoad sending it skidding across the ground. It squawked and slowly got back up. Its feathers were rustled and its neck was bleeding.

"Subdue that man!" The other cop yelled pulling out a gun. Kevin turned just as the cop fired. The bullet smashed into his hand cuffs cracking the steel and then deflecting back against a wall. Kevin pulled hard slicing the cuffs in half. He then grabbed the injured Spedoad and rushed down the alleyway; turning a corner as he did. "After him!" The cop shouted. The two passed by Marco and Josh and rushed after the man.

"Spedoad!" Marco called out and then headed back inside the building he was in earlier. Josh followed wondering what he was doing. The cops were in the alleyway behind the building now but there was no sign of Kevin. The criminal had secretly climbed a dumpster and went through an open window and into the abandoned building. He chucked Spedoad against the ground and then grabbed a dusty metal hangar lying on the ground. He pulled the top part out to a point and glared at the injured Pokemon.

"As soon as I'm done with you, I'll book it out of here." He grinned and grabbed the bird by the neck. He held the hangar up and prepared to stab it but a 2x4 suddenly smashed into the back of his head. Kevin coughed a bit and then fell to the ground. Spedoad fell out of his hands and Marco caught it.

"Oh look, I was done with you first!" He grinned. The cops outside heard the commotion and came through the window. They immediately cuffed the dazed man again and pulled him away. Josh came into the room and peered at Marco.

"That was a very reckless thing you did…but it took guts." He grinned. Marco smiled and began to cradle the injured Pokemon that was in his hands. "What do you say we get to the Pokemon Center and you can get it treated? We can also sign up for the league." Josh asked. Marco nodded and followed the teen out the door.

The two made it inside the center as night fell. There, a young nurse was busily typing away at a computer at the front desk. Her bright blue hair didn't look done but she made up for it with a warm smile. Marco approached the desk with Spedoad. "Oh my! That Spedoad looks very hurt. Here, give it to me." She said grabbing the Pokemon from Marco's arms. She then turned and walked around the desk and into the critical care room.

Several minutes later she came out with a perfectly fine Spedoad. It had a small bandage on its neck but nothing else. The Pokemon squawked a bit and she placed it down. It then sped towards the door and out when it opened. "Bye Spedoad!" Marco called. Josh turned towards the nurse.

"Nurse…" He began.

"Jenny, my name is Nurse Jenny." She grinned back.

"Yes, Nurse Jenny. This kid and I are here to sign up for the Stagione League." He stated. Nurse Jenny frowned a bit.

"Unfortunately, we only allow sign ups from ten a.m. to 6 p.m., but if you come back tomorrow morning I'd be happy to allow it."

"Well then, Marco…let's leave Fingame and Twigillo to get treated and go get me a new attire." Josh said handing his green pokejewel to Jenny. Marco handed her his red one and they exited the building. Outside, Spedoad was speeding around the front lawn. It stopped and turned when they came. It then jetted straight towards them and right through Marco's legs knocking him down.

"Ow!" Marco roared. Spedoad turned around and came back towards Marco. It began to hop energetically.

"I think it wants to join us." Josh grinned. Marco peered at the roadrunner Pokemon.

"You want to be my Pokemon?" He asked. It chirped happily. "Ok then…" Marco said standing up and pulling out the sky blue pokejewel for a second try. "Pokejewel go!" He yelled. The jewel struck Spedoad ad clicked open. The bird was sucked inside and the jewel landed on the grass. It began to spin until it finally shut and glowed brightly; signaling a capture. Marco picked up the jewel and placed it in the slot of his left hand's pinky finger Pokering. It locked into placed and Marco smiled. He then turned to Josh. "Let's hit the clubs." He grinned. Josh sighed and followed the teen down the road.

"I'm not hitting the clubs without some new clothes." He yelled. Marco smiled.

"Then you stay outside while I mingle with the ladies!" He grinned and began to run. Josh grew angry and rushed after him…

Cheepher (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Mikey77/Pokemon%20for%20Fic/Wopitter.jpg)

Spedoad (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Mikey77/Pokemon%20for%20Fic/3379e384.jpg)

DannyBoy
13th July 2004, 06:29 PM
Another excellent chapter! Length and description was well done and it was worth the wait. The battle was cool and I really like Cheepher. Sucks that they have to wait for tomarrow to sign up. But I like the realism with the time thing, that happens a lot of you wanna sign up and it can be done certain times. Keep it up!

mr_pikachu
13th July 2004, 11:21 PM
Not bad. The battle provided a good insight into Marco's experience (or more accurately, the lack of it), and he's also been shown to be rather foolish. Doesn't he know that the coyote never catches the bird? *sigh* :rolleyes:

There were a few things I noticed, though. First off, try to avoid using the same phrase or word multiple times in close proximity to each other. For instance:

"Dude, how can people live like this? I can't spend years walking from place to place in weather like this!" Marco yelled up to Josh who was several feet ahead of him. Though Josh was tired as well, he was used to walking from place to place.

Here you notice that "walking from place to place" is used twice in a span of two sentences. That's a bit of a turn-off. Try to be original with your words, varying them throughout your writing.

Also, I think I've mentioned it before, but if you're continuing a sentence after a quote, you can't end it with a period. Here's an example:

"This should be a blast." He said.

You're effectively continuing the actual sentence by adding "He said", so you can't end the quote with a period, or capitalize the word "He" (since it's not a proper noun). The grammatically correct way to say it is as follows:

"This should be a blast," he said.

Notice that the period at the end of the quote is now a comma (to continue the sentence), and the word "He" has been de-capitalized.

Also, just to let you know, if you have a sentence with a quote that ends with a punctuation mark other than a period (like a question mark, for instance), you don't change that punctuation. For instance, if I said this:

"Dude, that's awesome!" he yelled.

That is actually a correct sentence, because you're not supposed to change the exclamation mark at the end of the quote. Only periods get changed.

*takes deep breath*

Well, otherwise, this was a good and effective chapter. Keep up the good work, and keep writing! :wave: