PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Colosseum - Worth the Hype?

Last Exile
23rd June 2004, 09:55 PM
Played a promo version in a store yesterday. At least, they bloody took people's advice and went RPG. That was the only playable component, so I gave that a whirl. They've gone 3-D to an extent, although the graphics are a bit rough. The two characters/2 Pokemon battle is a nice touch. It looks far better than before. Hopefully stadium mode is good too.

It looks decent enough to get this time. While previous versions were fun, they didn't alst too long besides the fun games. This one looks to have more legs in terms of lasting power.

Andrew
23rd June 2004, 10:20 PM
*Moves to OPG*

I'm yet to play this game, but it looks uninspiring. They have no excuse for the Pokemon still sounding like strangled farm animals at this late stage.

For Nintendo, its a case of "Too Little, Too late" for me.

Razola
23rd June 2004, 10:30 PM
It's not a real RPG. And not worth 50 bucks.

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd June 2004, 10:49 PM
Colosseum was actually better than I expected it to be. The RPG mode is pretty fun, but they kinda toned down on the stadium mode.

Basically, instead of a gym leader castle and tournament cups, they just added 6 8-battle stadiums, each with 2 modes: 1vs1 and 2vs2, totaling to 16 cups if you want to call it that. 4 of these colosseums are lvl 50, the other 2 are level 100. If theres anything about Colosseum's colosseum/stadium mode, the AI puts the AI of Stadium and Stadium 2 to shame. The cpu LOVES to abuse 00bers in the lvl 100 cups. Fortunately, you wont see any Calm Mind Kyogre or Bulk Up Groudon, but you WILL see Dragon Dancing Rayquaza, Calm Mind Latias, Soul Dew Latios, AND Calm Mind Suicune (can you say "NO WEAK"?). You wont see any Mew, Celebi, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, or Deoxys, but you will see Jirachi some times. You will also see some Fr/Lg influence, especially in the Orre lvl 100 challenges, which include Dragon Dancing Tyranitar and Thunderwave Latios.

UPDATE: I just found out that the final trainer on the Colosseum Mode Mt. Battle uses a Calm Mind Kyogre, so watch your back.

Also, I know some of the Colosseum modes' pokes movesets off the top of my head, so if you need any, just drop me a PM.

Dark Scizor
23rd June 2004, 11:06 PM
It is okay, nothing special though. Only get it for the pokémon if anything lol

Would have been much better if we got a Pokémon stadium 3 or an MMORPG version of Pokémon =)

You can complete Pokémon Colosseum in less than 25hours and probably purify all the pokémon in about 40 if that, so complete and trade all the required pokémon to your GBA games and return it to the shop and say it didn't work on your "PAL" (Or NTSC pending on where you are located) GC :yes::ninja:

Last Exile
23rd June 2004, 11:13 PM
True, all true.

At least it lasted logner than the 5 horus required to complete the earlier versions.

I think my money will go to Mario Toadstool Golf instead.

Razola
24th June 2004, 02:05 AM
Mario Golf for Cube just hit the 20 dollar mark. Good time to get it.

Last Exile
24th June 2004, 05:52 AM
It only just came out in Australia. I doubt it's that cheap yet.

Crazy
24th June 2004, 11:32 AM
It is good I like the RPG Mode. The Colloseum Mode is ok, but it isn't quite as good as stadium. I would suggest getting it.

Powarun
24th June 2004, 10:56 PM
NOt really, but then again i think it is me growing up. The one thing that I now kind of miss is the instant battle mode in the stadiums, since it was one of the few games where you have about an endless amount of opponents.

The Blue Avenger
25th June 2004, 10:25 AM
You can do instant battle in Colosseum. I don't remember what the option is called, but I know that you can do it.

have a stammer
25th June 2004, 12:11 PM
It's a game that did not live up to expectations. But it isn't the worst game. It was a good idea (though many complain that purifying is stupid, and yet these same people wanted something different then the standard pokemon games and when they get it in "snagging" and purifying they complain.) but it didn't deliver, and is to short and linear.

Best bet is to simply rent it, try it out snag and purify quickly the pokemon that aren't in R/S or Fr/Lg transfer them to your Ruby or Sapphire and then decide if you want it.

Razola
25th June 2004, 12:19 PM
Purifying isn't new at all. It's just a more fleshed out version of the happiness system used to evolve pokemon.

tenchi
26th June 2004, 09:53 AM
it has good replay value..!
alot of do not have good replay value.
and on the rpg is was a 3D gameboy game for the gc.
but the Colosseum OOOOOOOO that is so hard.

Carbonite4
26th June 2004, 03:14 PM
I really liked it. Buy it when it's used or cheaper or something if you REALLY don't want to spend that much money on it.

The fact that there aren't any mini-games brings the overall satisfaction and replay value down a lot. I haven't really played it since I beat Mt. Battle and the Story Mode.