PDA

View Full Version : Synchronize - quick question

Lady Vulpix
24th June 2004, 12:42 PM
Hi. I'm posting my 2nd topic on this forum since it opened, and this one's about traits too.
How does synchronize work when the pokemon is inflicted with a status effect the opponent is immune to (eg. becomes poisoned by an attack from a Poison type pokemon)?

Thanks in advance.

phaedrus
24th June 2004, 12:53 PM
i believe the poisoner doesn't recieve the poison back.

hope i helped.

paralysis affects all but ones with 'limber' as the ability.

toxic/poisongas/etc. affects all but poisons, steels, and ones with 'immunity'

moves that freeze affect all but ones with 'magma armor'

confusion affects all but ones with 'owntempo'

attraction affects all but ones with 'oblivious'

spikes affects all but flyings

i'm not sure about burn

curse affects all (curse referring to the ghost-type-user version)

if i missed something you needed, just ask.

:wave:

Poryhedron
24th June 2004, 02:27 PM
Burn affects everyone but Fire-types and those with the "Water Veil" ability. Spikes doesn't really enter into this, since it doesn't count as a status effect. I'm not certain if confusion, attraction, or Cursing do either. But yes, Synchronize will fail if the pokémon who dealt you the status effect is immune to it. Just remember that being Ground-type won't save a pokémon from getting its Thunder Wave Synchronized back onto it, and it also won't save it from being affected by Static, because paralysis by itself is not really Electric-based. (Stun Spore, Body Slam, etc. say hi.)
Oh, one other thing. You missed sleep, but sleep shouldn't be counted here, and neither should freezing, because moves that wholly incapacitate you can't be Synchronized! After all, the Synchronizer has to be able to use its psychic powers to duplicate the status effect. So no Synchronizing SLP or FRZ.

andyizcool
24th June 2004, 04:32 PM
The simple answer is if the opponent is immune to Poison, like a Steel Pokemon or Poison Pokemon, they won't get the Status back from the Synchronize Trait.

rinku
24th June 2004, 08:57 PM
AH! That explains something that has been bugging me for some time - why some abilities/types are immune to some special effect-caused conditions. Of course - Ground types are immune to Electric attacks, not to the side effect of Paralysis per se.

Now it all makes sense!

phaedrus
25th June 2004, 12:05 PM
Burn affects everyone but Fire-types and those with the "Water Veil" ability. Spikes doesn't really enter into this, since it doesn't count as a status effect. I'm not certain if confusion, attraction, or Cursing do either. But yes, Synchronize will fail if the pokémon who dealt you the status effect is immune to it. Just remember that being Ground-type won't save a pokémon from getting its Thunder Wave Synchronized back onto it, and it also won't save it from being affected by Static, because paralysis by itself is not really Electric-based. (Stun Spore, Body Slam, etc. say hi.)
Oh, one other thing. You missed sleep, but sleep shouldn't be counted here, and neither should freezing, because moves that wholly incapacitate you can't be Synchronized! After all, the Synchronizer has to be able to use its psychic powers to duplicate the status effect. So no Synchronizing SLP or FRZ.

i did realize that, but i was just listing who is immune to what thru X means (as with spikes). not really focusing on the actual Synch part, but it's obvious that you can't synch SLP or FRZ. just in literal sense.

sleep affects all but ones with Vital Spirit and Insomnia

Iveechan
25th June 2004, 01:59 PM
I didn't think that synchro concerned infatuation and confusion. Are you sure about this?

phaedrus
25th June 2004, 02:22 PM
I didn't think that synchro concerned infatuation and confusion. Are you sure about this?

if you saw my above post, i was just listing who was immune to what conditions. i wasn't referring to what synchro actually reflected. i haven't tested that yet. i know who is immune to what, though. pm me if you want to find a list.

Misdreavus
25th June 2004, 02:22 PM
toxic/poisongas/etc. affects all but poisons, steels, and ones with 'immunity'Actually, it seems like Synchronize could reflect a Poison condition over to a Steel-type. Steel-types are immune to Poison-type moves, but not immune to Poison itself. I remember this from back in GSC when someone on here found that a Steel-type could be poisoned through the only Poisoning move that wasn't of the Poison-type, the Bug-type Twinneedle. Having said this, I assume that anything that does not have Immunity or is of the Poison-type can be Poisoned by way of Synchronize.

phaedrus
25th June 2004, 02:34 PM
Actually, it seems like Synchronize could reflect a Poison condition over to a Steel-type. Steel-types are immune to Poison-type moves, but not immune to Poison itself. I remember this from back in GSC when someone on here found that a Steel-type could be poisoned through the only Poisoning move that wasn't of the Poison-type, the Bug-type Twinneedle. Having said this, I assume that anything that does not have Immunity or is of the Poison-type can be Poisoned by way of Synchronize.

if you (or i, for that matter), find it true, post the findings here so i can fix my memory to serve correctly. i was more referring to poison moves, but since you reminded me of twineedle, good point. meh, beedrill sucks anyways....:(

andyizcool
25th June 2004, 02:51 PM
I remember Toxic being Synchronized onto my Metagross and failing to poison him. I also remember it happening when a Fire Pokemon used Will-O-Wisp and the Synchronize failed to burn the Fire Pokemon. Twineedle is a Bug move that hurts a Steel Pokemon and could give it Poison but Poison as a pure attack or being Synchronized onto a Steel Pokemon fails.

Lady Vulpix
27th June 2004, 08:49 AM
Really? That's strange. I don't know how it works in RS, but in GSC Steel type pokemon could be poisoned, and Fire type pokemon could be burnt.

Don't Run With Scizors
27th June 2004, 09:23 AM
Fire-types could only be burned and Ice-types frozen via Tri Attack.. I'm pretty certain Tri Attack's been fixed in RS, though.

andyizcool
27th June 2004, 09:35 AM
Fire Pokemon = Immune to Burn.
Ice Pokemon = Immune to Frozen.
Grass Pokemon = Immune to Leech Seed.
Poison or Steel Pokemon = Immune to Poison.

I can't remember if there's anymore but some Pokemon have a natural immunity to Status thanks to their Type.

phaedrus
27th June 2004, 04:50 PM
Fire Pokemon = Immune to Burn.
Ice Pokemon = Immune to Frozen.
Grass or FlyingPokemon = Immune to Leech Seed.
Poison or Steel Pokemon = Immune to Poison.

I can't remember if there's anymore but some Pokemon have a natural immunity to Status thanks to their Type.

fixed it a little bit.

Don't Run With Scizors
27th June 2004, 09:06 PM
Uh... Flying Pokemon aren't immune to Leech Seed.

phaedrus
27th June 2004, 09:30 PM
i thought it did. in like rby i swear without anything my pidgeot always dodged leechseed. meh.

andyizcool
28th June 2004, 04:43 AM
i thought it did. in like rby i swear without anything my pidgeot always dodged leechseed. meh.
Remember Leech Seed does have a 90% Accuracy. So everytime your Pidgeot was hit by a Leech Seed it must have been that lucky 10% acting where the Leech Seed failed. Then again Pokemon RBY had a lot of glitches in the good old days of Pokemon games.