PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in the Sky: Will "A Scare in the Air" suffer ANOTHER name change?

EmpressMyuu
1st February 2003, 06:17 PM
I'm sure that you've all heard about the space shuttle that blew up over Texas this morning. I feel for them right now. But right now I'm focused on another thing.

You probably know that the episode "A Scare in the Air" had its title changed to "Spirits in the Sky" because of the 9/11 attack. After what happened this morning to the space shuttle, do you think it will have to go through another name change, or will it be taken off the air completely to avoid any more controversy? The events of 9/11 are why they stopped showing "Tentacool and Tentacruel". I'm so glad I at least got to see that one on video.

Snakes N' Legends
1st February 2003, 07:20 PM
Are we sure that's why the episodes were changed and stopped? Just because it is relating to 9-11 doesn't mean anything. A scare in the air has nothing to do with hijacking a plane. There are on a dirigible or a blimp. The reason why it was named that because they were afraid the blimp was haunted. Tentacool and Tentacruel might have a 9/11 effect but I really don't care about it. Take The Tower Infero. The name sounds like something 9/11 related but it has nothing to do with terrorists. It relates to the Burned Tower and the fact that the ghost pokemon use their confusion attack to make it seem like it is on fire. As for changing the title of Spirits in the Air, once again it has nothing to do with the shuttle crash. Spirits in the air/Scare in the air was made about about 1 or 2 years ago. This is my theory. KidsWB or Gamefreak or 4Kids plus Cartoon Network are jumping to conclusions. They just don't want to get people any ideas but if you examine A Scare in the Air/Spirits in the Air and The Tower Inferno, neither episode has nothing to do with 9/11. As for Tentacool and Tentacruel, that's still up to debate.

Pidgeot018
1st February 2003, 07:47 PM
I hate it when things like today's events happen. It's cliché, but it does put things into perspective. TV shows become the least of one's worries. I'm not accusing EmpressMyuu of being heartless and concerned only for a TV program or anything, though. She brings up a good topic.

I think that it would be pretty unlikely for anyone to be offended by the titile of an older epsiode of Pokémon. But apparently someone thinks it's possible and thus the changes we've seen after September, 2001. I do think that a child (or any adult, really) could be come upset or perhaps traumatized by what they see on TV. It's not from something like a title of a Pokémon episdoe that's damaging, but the things we see on TV when events like today's occur.

It shows how powerful TV has become when we can see events in history unfold as they happen. Hearing and reading about terrorist attacks is one thing, but seeing the World Trade Center actually fall to the ground makes it much more real. Seeing the space shuttle Columbia fall through the atmoshpere brings that same sort of awful feeling. Even watching older photage of the Challenger exploding is still difficult to watch. These are all very upsetting things to watch.

I don't know, it just seems to me like there are images seen on the TV that are far more upsetting, or even damaging, than anything ever associated with Pokémon ever will be.

Hanada Tattsu
1st February 2003, 11:51 PM
Well, knowing neurotic 4Kids, they'll change the names.

I mean, what could a Japanese anime called Pokemon have anything to do with September 11th or the space shuttle?

Honestly, though, Spirits in the Sky does not mean anything, and neither did A Scare in the Air. Yes, The Tower Inferno, is kind of revealing, but the ones I just mentioned have nothing to do with any vicious recent events that occured in the world.

Fett One
2nd February 2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by EmpressMyuu
You probably know that the episode "A Scare in the Air" had its title changed to "Spirits in the Sky" because of the 9/11 attack. After what happened this morning to the space shuttle, do you think it will have to go through another name change, or will it be taken off the air completely to avoid any more controversy? The events of 9/11 are why they stopped showing "Tentacool and Tentacruel". I'm so glad I at least got to see that one on video.

While I don't have anything to say about those two titles I would like to point out that 9/11 has nothing to do with Kids WB not showing "Tentacool and Tentacruel". Since day one Kids WB has never ever shown that episode. It only aired a few times when UPN had pokemon. Once Kids WB took over that episode got banned. Had UPN kept pokemon we would probory still be able to watch it today.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd February 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Fett One
While I don't have anything to say about those two titles I would like to point out that 9/11 has nothing to do with Kids WB not showing "Tentacool and Tentacruel". Since day one Kids WB has never ever shown that episode. It only aired a few times when UPN had pokemon. Once Kids WB took over that episode got banned. Had UPN kept pokemon we would probory still be able to watch it today.

You're right. I made a mistake, because even though the episode is banned, the shot of Tentacruel destroying the buildings is kept in the dubbed first opening.

Anyway, the episode is semi-crucial to the series.

a) Misty gets Horsea :)

Even though we don't see Horsea out of the ball until about 18 episodes later, new fans will still be puzzled as to where, when, and how Misty caught a Horsea.

b) It introduces Tentacool and Tentacruel

We do see these Pokemon again, but they aren't as well drawn-out in those episodes as they are in this one.

c) It's a funny episode!

Well, I mean, the ending is kinda sad, but the beginning, with Nastina and the *cough*effinimate*cough* men in her estate is just pure anime.

I'm glad I have the video, though.

T M Pikachu
4th February 2003, 06:00 PM
What do you mean Tentacool and Tentacruel got banned for Kidswb? I remember seeing that episode when they were during that road the indigo months. I could swear that Kidswb have shown that episode. I even have that episode on tape and I never taped Pokemon episodes when they were on UPN. Or maybe its my imagination.

As for those names changes they're stupid. What does it have to with anything about terrorist and Columbia burning up? Saying that Pokemon can harm kids are stupid.... The thing that really harm kids are the news. Not Pokemon titles. And nobody complains that news being bad for kids.

Snakes N' Legends
4th February 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hanada Tattsu

Honestly, though, Spirits in the Sky does not mean anything, and neither did A Scare in the Air. Yes, The Tower Inferno, is kind of revealing, but the ones I just mentioned have nothing to do with any vicious recent events that occured in the world.

I agree with you on all points except for The Tower Inferno point. If you hadn't guessed it already, it is a some what a shorten title for The Towering Inferno. Really, like I said earlier, we have to examine the episode. Scare in the Air/Spirits in the Air is about a haunted blimp and The Tower Inferno is about the Burned Tower in Ecruteak City.

As for 4Kids being neurotic, wouldn't be when you don't want people protesting that some of your episode titles might have a certain connection to disasters?

ILikePokemonP
4th February 2003, 11:08 PM
I wish people would stop changing things like pokemon ep names (doesn't effect me at all btw).

Imagine if we banned all flying pokemon just because of those kids who jumped off that building. That would be crazy, so why change names and ban episodes? Showing tentacools and tentacruels attacking buildings won't influence people to do that. People don't watch pokemon so that they can create a scheme to destroy a building.

If we banned everything people think are "dangerous", there'd be nothing left. Simple as that.

I will watch Tentacool and Tentacruel tonight and give my opinion about it tomorrow.

ILikePokemonP
5th February 2003, 11:09 PM
It's absolutely fine. People should leave it alone. It was cool how meowth was used as a puppet by the tentacruel :D

Hanada Tattsu
5th February 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
It's absolutely fine. People should leave it alone. It was cool how meowth was used as a puppet by the tentacruel :D

It is. It's a fine episode, and there's nothing I think wrong with it. It really deserves to be aired along with any other normal eppie. I don't know why people compare it to other events...

dark_magician
8th February 2003, 02:42 PM
I am majorly surprised that i "Tentacool and Tentacruel" was banned on KidsWB! I always watched pokemon on YTV (a canadian channel) where we got to see that one. I think it annoyed me because I saw it multiple times from all the rerun periods they end up having. I do like that episode. As for the other episodes with name changes, does it really matter? Its not like they changed it after you saw it and it became classic. The names are made up by them so they have the right to change the names. If you want the real names you have to find out the japanese names because these names aren't the originals either way.