PDA

View Full Version : Fanfic trivia

Iveechan
16th July 2004, 01:12 AM
Sounds like a game, eh? No, just another topic where you blab about your fic. So anyway, have any unknown trivia about the making of your fic? *BTW, next chapter of guilty be in the planning stages.... I feel bad about the way I keep talking about it but never continuing it. Ha.*

-GBD (Guilty by Design abbreviated) was spawned from 3 different but slightly related story ideas. All had the similarity of a Hitmonchan living an abusive life.

-Before it was decided I'd base GBD off an anime episode, Champ's owner was a woman.

-GBD's original title was "Champ". Not very eye-popping, eh?

-There were originally going to be two other "Fakemon" as leading characters; a Karateon and a Ninjaruka, a dark/fighting type. But since this is a story about the Hitmon, it was decided that only a Hitmonchik would make an appearance.

-Originally, Champ is brought to the P-1 as a Tyrogue to spectate but not participate (baby Pokemon are not allowed to enter). He and Rick see how brutal the fights are and that's when the harsher training begins. But I wanted to speed the story up, so Champ evolves prior to the tournament, et cetera.

-Some time after the P-1 and before Champ's first blood match, Rick takes a job of construction worker. Aya is there and she and the worker Machoke poke fun at Champ's inability to lift anything heavy. Champ becomes frustrated and fire punches an old building, causing it to collapse (powerful little dude). Some random person is impressed by Champ's power so it's then that Rick is invited to the blood matches.
The reason I left this out was because 1- I have NO idea what anything at a construction site is called; 2- Aya and Champ bond during this chapter, but I didn't want a love interest to form between them; 3- it was hard to write.

-Rick's real name is Anthony. At the time I started writing I didn't know if a name was ever mentioned for the guy in "The Punchy Pokemon" episode. I did remember Rebecca's name though.

-There was going to be one chapter where Rick uses illegal drugs on Champ that increases his power in battles but has side effects that makes him act a bit crazy afterwards. Not only could I not find a place to put this chapter, but I felt it wasn't needed. Doesn't Champ go through enough bad stuff?

-In the early stages of the story, Aya had a Machop half-sister named Kaia.

Dark Nidoknight
16th July 2004, 01:43 PM
-Revenge of the Pokemon

-Originally I planned to have a titanic fight scene between The Dark Nidoknight and The Chosen One(TM)and co. However, I was to lazy and just decided to skip it.

-I was first planning to have Theo go insane and be found nearly dead the chapter after he leaves The Chosen One's(TM) group. However, I lost the chapter with that in it because my computer completely crashed.

-Theo is the rightful king of Kanto, his younger brother framed him for murder in order to take power himself.

-The reason why Dark Nidoknight flips out and kills psychics for no reason is because an Evil Alakazam(TM) slaughtered his entire family and cursed him with his Crazy Evil Magic Powers(TM). The Alakazam lives to this day and Dark Nidoknight has sworn he WILL kill him horribly and any "filthy coward" psychics he encounters.

There is more, but I don't feel like talking about this dead, terrible story anymore.

~Dark Nidoknight~

Chris 2.1
16th July 2004, 01:51 PM
Monica's Army

-Initially, while the plot and concept was the same, the location was going to be much different. It was going to be set in Kanto, with adepts like Jake the Gravel Adept being recruited in Saffron City, and Lillian the Pollen Adept being recruited in Celadon City. Both characters and the location was scraped.

-The idea of Altonia, the continent in MA, originated from a land I created for a Pokemon-POV fic called 'Equality'. This was about Four Pokemon's journey from their safe home on Antler Peak (later changed to Iger Peninsula for MA) to the dark world they lived in.

-At the end, Monica and the Army were to return to Lavender and take on James Holmes. An abandoned Office Block north of Lavender was where it took place, but with the adepts fighting against Holmes gun-weilding men/women, it seemed unlikely to work. Later, I wove the Holmes Organisation's downfall into Al's subplot.

-Early on in Ch7/8, James Holmes managed to get Monica's Father to work for him. This was going to mean that, in the end of the fic, Monica would have to fight and possible kill her father to stop the HO.

-THO were going to follow the Army through Kanto, much like the Assasins track the AU down in Monica's Revolution.

The Decapitated Mole
16th July 2004, 01:51 PM
Not many people know this, but The MisAdventures of Hiro was originally supposed to be serious, well written fic. Unfortunately, the inspiration for it was TAOFKAHFCAS[The Adventures of Firewood Ketchup and his friends Cloudy and Sock], Killers of Telletubbies, Heroes to the World, and The Never Ending Funny Story III, so as you can guess, it turned out to be more of a ****ty, hastily written semi-parody than anything.

Also, I don't know if many people know this, but the original idea for Mike [the psycho talker kid] was not mine. Back when Hiro was at the height of its popularity [I had maybe 3 or 4 readers, WHOO!] I was growing bored of JustHiro, so I had a little contest for new characters. I only got one reply, and that was for Mike. The person [I forget who] gave a really well thought out and thoughtful character description of Mike. Well, if you've ever read Hiro, you know that it is a story that doesn't really allow for characters to have more than one gimmick. Hiro is stupid, Pikadéx is a smartass, Tog is a Pokémon, and Mike, well, in the description it was mentioned that he tended to talk too much, so I just ignored everything else and took off with that.

Same deal with Blade as with Mike. If you remember PPN[PokémonPlanteNetwork, or something] which later became TAN[TotalAnimeNetwork] and was closed, I posted Hiro there, and it was incredibly popular [compared to anywhere else I put it], so after I had grown bored of "writing" for Mike, I held another contest and a guy named Blade X1 responded via PM with his character description of Blade, which was so very simple I just copied it into the story: Blade is a great trainer who dedicates his life to get ENTEI, SUICURNE, AND RAIKOU. I copied it cause of the odd spelling error for Suicune.

The first two chapters of The NEW Misadventures of Hiro were co-written by my friend Matt (http://www.freakyface.cjb.net/cm.htm) [his site is here (www.zizablaz.0catch.com)]. He had always loved Hiro, and when I told him I was re-writing it, he wrote up the first two chapters on his own and gave them to me. I already had them written, but I liked his versions too, so I incorporated several of his ideas and doings into them. Case closed.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Buh bye now.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
17th July 2004, 12:34 AM
Lisa the Legend:

NB: I'm mainly going to go into stuff that I never did, the stuff that is still coming is far too important to the plot of the fic, and it would spoil it for the readers.

-Well, there's a lot of stuff that's changed.

-Firstly, Lisa was based on the female trainer from the Pokemon Movie 3, who had an Aipom. The first seven chapters were built around that character; after that, she developed her own life.

-Originally, Lisa was going to simply be a trainer and collect badges, train pokemon etc, it was later that I thought of a real plot.

-I vaguely planned for Lisa to have two friends, Tuscany and Charmaine, who would maybe join her on her journey at the beginning, however they were never written into the story, although I think they were mentioned once or twice. Instead, Hiro and Kris filled their shoes, and they may never eventuate :( (I made several attempts to bring them into the story, all of which failed miserably ... my last attempt was chapter 40, but it was edited out).

-Hiro and Kris were supposed to be permanent characters; luckily I came to my senses and ditched them before it was too late, instead giving each of them small (and partially important) appearances later on.

[Takes a break to look at my notes from 3 years ago...]

-Lisa was originally going to fight Whitney in Goldenrod City, see Ho-oh briefly (which ended up happening in Chapter 34), and then go to the Battle Tower where she would catch a new pokemon and meet a new friend.

-In the very early drafts, Lisa had a rival named Trula. She never appeared in any of the versions though, I completely forgot about her ^^.

-Anna was originally quite a bragger, but I toned that down in the real thing. After all, her and Lisa became friends, I couldn't have her being THAT evil.

-Lisa was going to have a Chikorita named Herby, but it never happened. I compensated for this by having Marina appear with a Bayleef - also called Herby.

-When I originally wrote chapter 7 in the first draft (before I had a plot), Gavin was going to leave Lisa and be more or less written out of the story. As it were, though, I liked him too much so I had him return in Chapter 8 ... he turned out to be useful for Lisa pawning off her Girafarig.

-Lisa was going to save Dratini from a colony of mean Dratini in Chapter 9 when she first saw it, thus gaining its trust and allowing her to catch it. But again this never was developed and it feels far too late to develop any of it now.

-Lisa and Gavin's entry into the Whirlpool Cup was one of the few original ideas I had that survived any editing.

-The Nurse Joy Gavin battled in the Whirlpool Cup was going to join them for a short time, but this never occured. Other characters who never appeared at the Whirlpool Cup were a few female swimmers and a guy called Simon.

-Most of the stuff since the Whirlpool Cup has been rather better planned out, and there's been fewer major edits.

-One thing I always wanted to do was develop the romance between Lisa and Darius. They were going to join each other on a journey back to Ecruteak for Christmas after Hiro's battle with Lance, but for some reason I edited this out after writing it, it just didn't mesh together. Instead, Marina made her return ... in hindsight, it would have worked either way ... *sigh*

-Elekid's evolution was something I never wanted to happen, I'd rather he were still a tiny Elekid, Lisa could use him more. But, for reasons I'll show later on, he needed to evolve ...

-Something I might not have said before: Chapter 43 took so long to write because I tried a million different angles to write it at, none of which worked until the last one.

-If anybody's still wondering what happened to Nurse Joy, well, the truth will be revealed shortly.

-Gavin was going to get a Spinarak in Chapter 46 but I realised he already had six pokemon, even if they weren't all on his person. So he didn't end up getting one.

-In LTL, Team Rocket broke up some time before the fic started ... it's the Union, and the Union alone, who has been following Lisa the whole time.

-Just some random trivia:

-Lisa is 5'6'' tall, for the record. Gavin is 5'9''.
-Hiro and Kris are currently in the Orange Islands.
-Lisa's middle name is Teresa. Gavin's is Thomas.

And that's it. I know it's a lot, but there was a lot of stuff to say. What may be even more disturbing is that I have a heap of other stuff to say but I can't, because it would give away too much. Admittedly, that sucks. Readers will find out all about it soon, though.

Cheers!

mr_pikachu
17th July 2004, 03:14 AM
I don't want to reveal anything about my second or third fics, so instead I'll talk about Misty Returns! (And yes, the exclamation point is part of the fic's name.)

- Misty Returns! was the first fanfic I ever wrote. (Surprise, surprise. :sleep: )

- I wrote the entire thing in a period of under 24 hours. That's thirteen chapters' worth. No wonder it was terrible! Future fanfic writers, take note, and take your time! :yes:

- I originally wrote it on notebook paper. I would have used the computer, but at the time that "inspiration" (or insanity) struck, I did not have a monitor for my computer. My greedy parents were using it, since they didn't have one. Greedy, greedy, greedy! :evil: Thus, it would have been very difficult to have typed it on my computer at that time.

- The majority of the fanfic was written between 2 and 7 A.M. on a Saturday morning. Boy, this sure explains some things, doesn't it? :lol:

- Togepretty's A Part Well Played, the first fanfic I had ever read, was somewhat of an inspiration for my first work.

- I actually had written almost the entire fanfic when I discovered a plothole where Pikachu couldn't get inside a room he was supposed to be in. So I got out my trusty eraser and marked up the notebook paper, thereby erasing one of the only original things I had written (which I've forgotten by now, sadly).

- I still have the original notebook paper copy of it! :D

Mewfour
17th July 2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I've decided that I'll return to TPM...... somewhat. I'll be visting from time to time, but rarely ever posting. Just seeing if y'all miss me. ;)

Anyway, trivia....

- Bloody Sword: 3050 A.D. was originally called Kaitou, which is Japanese for, and get this, "sharp sword." Oh, the creativity is truly mind-boggling, ain't it?

- All places and characters in Bloody Sword have a significant name pun.... most of them do anyway. Pyram = Pyromaniac, Lura = Lure, Fallaken = Fallable, Kanadiam/Ranadiam = Canada, West/East/South Namerik = America. But the one thing I truly think is very important to realize is that all the cities/villiages that were destroyed were named after Shakespeare's tragedies. Hammet, the first village to go, is of course Hamlet. Lear, where Trav rested to heal his crippling injuries, is a King Lear pun. And Mabeth is Macbeth, minus the c. Also, the cities in Ranadiam are references to hell. Tartarus, the hell from Greek mythology, is Ranadiam's capitol. Gate is also a city in Ranadiam, and I think it's ungodly reference is obvious.

- I had originally intended for Troid Jr (Trav's brother) to play a much bigger role than what he did.

- I came up with the "Episode" concept for the chapters when I thought about what would happen if Bloody Sword were made into a TV series.

- At 39 chapters and aimed to finish at 50, Bloody Sword will be my longest original fiction, that is, if you don't count all the Galaxy War Series as one big fic.

- Tales of a Lost Galaxy, an experimental concept from years and years ago, is now what I'm considering as a prologue to Bloody Sword. Speaking of prequels/sequels, I'm also planning to intertwine all of my original fics into one big giant timeline. Don't ask me how I plan to do that yet, but right now I'm thinking of putting down Bloody Sword as no. 2 on the timeline.

- No, I do not plan to make a Bloody Sword prequel/sequel, but that can always change..... ;)

- Something very funny, though, I came up with the idea for Bloody Sword while watching Escaflowne. Damn you, FOX Kids!!

Dragonfree
18th July 2004, 12:22 PM
Whee, fun. This here is all about The Quest for the Legends, since that's the only fic with any stuff like this that's even remotely interesting.

- Chaletwo was originally made as a joke. I had just checked out the fake Pokémon contest entries at Mew's hangout and saw way too much of those 999 in everything Pokémon that were "rarer than Mew and Mewtwo and Celebi put together". I decided to make an even rarer and even more powerful Pokémon, just to be funny. I put every bit of a legendary Pokémon I had ever made in The Quest for the Legends back when I had no idea what to do with the fic, including Chaletwo the joke. That's also why it originally had Mewtwo's body - none of those contest enties had much imagination in them, so why should my joke have? Then when I decided that the fic should stop being out of nowhere like that, I made a story behind everything, explained everything including why he looks like Mewtwo, tied up all the loose ends, and I ended up with a pretty darn good backstory.

- The chapter where... err, the best Pokémon character first appeared (chapter 11 in the old version) was originally just an idea for a story I got, and I actually believe it was even before I got into Pokémon. I later decided to adapt it to Pokémon and put it into the fic.

- I wrote the final Pokémon all the main characters would end up with before I even wrote chapter six - all of them being Pokémon that I liked, of course. And unlike so many other things I did for the original one, I'm still staying to that plan pretty much.

- The reason I didn't stop writing it sometime after the old chapter 11 was that a girl I knew was feeling depressed because her grandfather had died. In inspired me for chapter 12, where I started involving the Pokémon properly, and I started really loving the Pokémon characters and stuff, and made a sub-plot, and made a big plot (because that hadn't been created then) and started to enjoy writing it.

- The fic has been inspired by everything from Anti-Anti-Pokémon to e-mails from my friends.

- Originally (feel free to laugh) Mark was supposed to go and catch Suicune, even BEFORE he obtained his first gym badge. Don't remind me just how stupid that was. But I changed that even before I ever got that far in the first version, so thankfully that has never been a part of the real thing...

- Every time some two things appear to link cleverly to weave the plot together, I actually just left a plot hole somewhere, discover that I never explained something, and then explain it - hence why it usually takes ten to twenty chapters for things to be resolved. Comes out nicely, though.

Yeah... don't have anything else to say...

Wild Female Machoke
18th July 2004, 03:21 PM
I don't want to talk about my fic "The Dragon Child" instead I'll talk about "Jewel Eyes."

- I always think it was interesting to see various fighting game characters with Pokemon, which is the reason why I wrote it.

- Machop originally supposed to have a pendant with her, which gave her powers. As for the reason why Bison wanted her, I found it WAY TOO obvious and replaced the pendant with a spirit.

- It was originally a trainer fic using Sakura. Changed the plot because I am not too happy with the results, especially in the second chapter where she obtained Mewtwo.

- In the eariler stages, Sakura and her friends came across a tournament involving the undead Darkstalkers. That's where I had introduced my made-up Pokemon Angeleon (Eevee's Holy evolution), which Hsien-Ko used her to defeat Morrigan in a match.

- Believe it or not, the Hitmonchan Sakura caught was originally a female. But the gender intro in Gold/Silver ruined it. (Okay, okay, I've said that once too many times. :P )

- As for how Sakura obtained her Machop, in the early stages she found an abandoned Pokeball and accidentally released him. But the scene where Sakura fought with three college students were kept.

- Machop was originally a male, but underwent a gender change when revised. I thought it would be more interesting to have female fighting Pokemon.

- Three of the original Pokemon; Marill, Hitmonchan, and Scyther were kept in the story. The rest were replaced. Sakura also got a Rattata in the original, but like before, she gave it to her brother.

- Sakura's rival Karin originally had a Growlithe, but now she had a Machop as her starter.

- Chun-Li and Guile didn't appear much in the original and Bison was originally destroyed by his own Pokemon.

ChicRocketJames
22nd July 2004, 06:10 PM
No idea how interesting it might be to anyone, but what the heck, I feel like rambling on about my fic!

Here's some behind-the-scenes crap about Tangled Web you didn't know (and probably never wanted to know):

-- The Tangled Web you know and love is actually the third version of my ambition to write a trainer fic, each incarnation very different from the other. The original idea was just a basic trainer fic - but Celeste was the main character, and not Sen. The overall story featured the theft of a prototype Pokeball from Celeste's hometown, with Celeste witnessing the theft and then using the opportunity to embark on a Pokemon quest as she'd always wanted to. Eventually she teamed up with Sen, who was sort of the caustic sidekick - a bad trainer, always falling out with Celeste, but sticking by her because he was enjoying himself. In the final chapters Celeste collected all of her badges and made it to the Pokemon League, but not before having a colossal falling-out with Sen and calling him a pathetic trainer. Sen had improved greatly on his journey with Celeste, and this sort of pushed him over to the dark side: he ended up kidnapping a League contestant and stealing their badges to enter in their place. (Sound familiar?) The climax of the fic was the showdown battle between Celeste and Sen, when he of course revealled himself to her.

- I thought this idea was pretty good, but the more I thought about it Sen seemed to have been unfairly shoved into second place, especially when all of my best ideas seemed to involve him. I scrapped that idea and worked on a new one with Sen as the main character - but with him just starting out as a regular trainer the fic had lost its sparkle. It was then that I came up with the whole identity-theft twist, which fit his character so perfectly - it was similar to the badge-theft finale of the original fic, which was always my favourite part.

- Much of the content of Tangled Web which has been written, and a lot which is yet to be written, is straight from the original fic idea, modified only slightly. Gives you some idea of how unjustly Celeste was hogging Sen's rightful spot as main character.

- I actually wrote the entire first chapter of the second version of Tangled Web (of course then it wasn't called that) - The Rusted One might still have a copy to use against me. I never wrote anything of the first version, it was scrapped in the planning stages.

- The original fic I planned for about a year. Tangled Web as it is now I sat down and wrote on the pure adrenaline of the idea, with almost no planning beforehand. When an idea is good, it just takes off on its own.

- Tangled Web has been posted and reposted four times on these boards - first as Malevolent Murkrow, then as ChicRocketJames, then as Nevermore, then as ChicRocketJames again. There is something wrong with me.

I should probably add that the fic itself is much more interesting than this post. ^^; Still, this is fun, it's like one of those self-indulgent DVD commentaries.

Tainted
22nd July 2004, 09:43 PM
Well, my story Zedrelthus is a fantasy story, so that means it's coupled with a bunch of useless information that I create just to use as backstory if anything ever comes up. Well, let's see here.

Each nation in Zedrelthus is loosely based after a real-world place.
-Cheekien being like Scotland, the whole kilted highlander thing, brothers to the country Anarika, but overpowered by them.
-Anarika being like England, brothers to Scotland, more powerful.
-Slalomen like France, they speak a 'romantic' language, are enemies to Anarika, etc.
-Noirette like all of Africa, poor, full of blacks, used as slaves.
-Zelwig like Canada, peaceful, they don't attack people, and so on.
-The country Daemonal is the only one really not loosely based off of a real country.

The character Zedrelthus was originally the exact opposite of the main character in a fantasy I tried to write prior with your typical good protagonist. So I figured, hell, I hate this character-- I want the anti-protagonist, and thus, Zedrelthus was born.

Originally, I had planned to kill off every single major character, but settled myself down to a selected few.

I began writing Zedrelthus after I tired of seeing stories that depicted the rise of a hero-- so mine was rather about the downfall of a hero, which has not yet really been revealed.

Andrakkt, the barbarian, is in body and mind based after my dad, determined, strong, etc-- I just made Andrakkt talk like he was retarded to show a weakness in him, since I believe all characters need weaknesses.

I worked primarily on the twists and turns (most of which happen much later in the story) and currently have the whole entire plot planned down from point to point. It changes very often as my mood changes, but it always converts to roughly the same ending.

I'm not telling you what the ending is.

So go read it.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Chris 2.1
23rd July 2004, 04:26 AM
Ok, as I'm posting Lucky Charms back up here soon, here's some facts about the original.....

-Rikki's father was called Kenta, and he was in a previous fiction I wrote when HE was a kid. However, I renamed him Ken this time around.

-Rikki's parents were married, and he had a younger sister, Daisy, who owned a Squirtle. His parents did not object to Pokemon. In the new remake, his parents are divorced and Daisy doesn't exist.

-Rikki was sent into another dimension by a mysterious glass orb. He collected 8 badges from this new continent in order to get home.

-Tanya originally met Rikki when Rikki's Pichu evolved into Pikachu. Tanya's Pikachu fell in love with Rikki's, and Tanya fell in love with Rikki. Neither have a Pikachu, and Tanya now lives in Rikki's hometown

-A mysterious character named Ila was following Rikki. Rikki saved his life in the middle of the fic, and Ila revealled himself to be a young man named Allistair, searching for the truth about his mothers death while she was in this land. Ila was substituted for Dean in the new version, who didn't appear in the last.

-Two team rocket grunts were transported to Gandonia, the continent. They were Dean and Michelle, and had a Sneasel and Scyther. Both were cut. They originally stole Rikki's Pokemon and sold them to an Old man named Walter. A 3-part was devoted to the Infiltration of the base Dean and Michelle set up in a dessert.

-Heather was never in the original

-A boy named James appeared in Chello City. He had 6 Pokemon, and with Rikki's help, caught a Golden Chikorita. After a while, Rikki got sick of seeing James' impressive team and fell out with him. After a fight, Rikki was knocked down a large steep hill and into a bush, where he found the orb that teleported him. In the new one, James makes a breif appearence in the next version.

-Rikki had a Dragonair, which evolved in Rikki's only battle against Martin.

Update later!

Captain Pringle
29th October 2004, 06:26 AM
It's past 4 am and I'm bored...

The Emerald League

--- Early readers will remember this, but originally Bryce received a spontaneous kiss (on the lips, a long one) from Mist, the Sapphire Gym leader, before he went on his way. Several days after writing the chapter, I went back and edited out the scene, opting instead to go for BABL (Brianna and Bryce Love, as some of the readers started calling it).

--- Almost all the characters are named after people I know both in real life and from TPM/UBCS. "Mist" is our very own Fanfic moderator. ^_^ "Grace" (Emerald Gym) was my senior prom date. "Elizabeth" (Diamond Gym) was my first real crush in high school. Andrea (Topaz Gym) is GoldenDragonite from UBCS/TPM. Ace (Ruby Gym) is ACE135CC from UBCS/TPM. And Ian (Quartz Gym) is Pokemaster Ian from UBCS/TPM.

--- On that note, Brianna is a girl who I met at a soccer camp the summer before I started high school. For some reason, the camp consisted of several dozen 8-year olds and the two of us, who were both around 12 years old then. Anyway, we were always kind of sitting around together bored, so we basically ended up (innocently) flirting with each other to pass the time... in stupid 12-year-old ways, such as throwing grass at each other while the teacher called roll. :lol: But anyway, I guess that was the first time I even remotely "liked" a girl, so that somehow scored her this spot in TEL, even though I never saw her after that summer camp though... ah well. ^_^

--- Speaking of Brianna, I originally planned for Bryce and her to kiss at the closing ceremonies of the Pokemon League, under a fireworks-illuminated sky. But I decided to leave their relationship a lot less defined to end the fic, and ended up dropping the closing ceremonies altogether.

--- The Epilogue for TEL was written about 2 entire years before it finally got posted. I only had to change one line (which related to Bryce and Brianna's relationship change), but otherwise it remained exactly the same.

--- The final battle... oh man. I guess over the course of writing a 21,000+ word chapter, you start to get creative. Bottom line: The stadium's field was supposed to stay grass the whole time and Bryce was supposed to win. Yup.

I mean, I'm sitting there with my nice outline, ready to fill in all the exciting description and stuff... and out of nowhere, I find myself writing that Suicune just flooded the whole arena and FROZE it. WHAT??? So I just kind of sat there for a second just thinking "That was really cool, but uh... this whole ice field thing kind of pisses all over my extensive outline for the rest of this huge battle." But whatever, I decided to throw my outline out the window, and most of the rest of the chapter just came outta nowhere: Those spikes shooting up through the ice, the ice field slowly getting the crap getting blasted out of it... imagine the horror I experienced when I eventually realized I was writing myself into a WATER FIELD too. I actually stuck to my originally-planned teams of 6 for both Bryce and Michael, and just got the pokemon to work in the context of the Ice/Water field, even though I had picked them for a battle on a grass field.

Oh yeah, and then at the end, as I was writing that stuff about a giant fireball coming out of the sky, I was just like "Well, looks like Bryce ain't gonna win after all." It was really weird, but very cool. It was like the story was just flowing out of my fingertips without me thinking about it, and I was just kind of watching the battle to see what would happen.

--- I hate black widow spiders. So much.

Chris 2.1
29th October 2004, 08:31 AM
CP: I actually know what you mean, in that I can never 'structure' a battle. I just write it as it happens, and never usually edit a battle, as they seem to really be quite good.

More on Lucky Charms:

--Ila was 17, and had a Silver Pidgeot, A Bayleef, and some others I can't remember. He later discovered his mothers death cause, and learned about her, eventually keeping her Purple Kecleon, Lillac.

--Ila also caught a Lickitung in Sushitown. She was bollemic (sp?). Luckily, she appears in the new version, but is owned by a different person.

--All of the Gyms are new. None are the same, but each was based off a gemstone. We had a pearl, an emerald, a peice of amber, a Diamond shard...umm but in this one, we have normal Gyms.

--The original had 8 Gyms. I had only written 5, but the 6th Gym Leader was Erica, based on someone who I used to be MSN pals with. (Actually, I *THINK* she's still around. What was her name?). She had an Eevee, Raichu and Houndour. Rikki evolved his Pikachu at the cities large Thunderstone, just as Erica evolved her Eevee into a Jolteon. Rikki fought her then and there, but lost. The other two Gyms were never decided.

--In the new version, there are only 6 Gyms. 4 are currently decided upon, one having been already posted, while one remains to be decided and the last is simply left for me to decide later.

--There was no Pokemon leage in the last one, but there will be one in the new version.

--I remember this weird thing where Rikki won an odd egg by playing this type of rugby....but with the egg! His team had to pass it to each other by throwing it around, and had to get it to their side of the court to keep it. Rikki hatched it into a Cleffa and gave it to his sister, Daisy.

--Despite never finishing the fic, Martin had his end planned. He had decided to seek Entei, and did find him at the end. Martin fought him, but lost. Entei turned to leave, but Martin started firing insults at the Pokemon, claiming it was a weak and plagued legendary Pokemon. Entei simply killed Martin. This was at the very end of the fanfic.

--Tanya joined Rikki and Ila/Ali in Chapter 26 - the last Chapter I ever wrote. The three explored an old battle tower, but their Pokemon had been trapped inside by a group of ruffians. The three worked together to help get their Pokemon, and in the end, Tanya joined the group after she admitted not fancying Rikki anymore.

--Rikki caught a Slowpoke, and Ken caught a Shellder in one Chapter. Rikki sent Slowpoke home, but things turned ugly and the two became a Slowking. The Slowking was really nasty to Ken and continually used its psychic powers to make life hell.

--I also distinctly remember Ken rescuing somebody on his Lapras...they went out to sea, but a pier got destroyed....ohhhh emm geee, it was Whitney. Ok, in the previous fic, named A Boy And His Bear, Ken and Whitney dated, but then Ken moved house. Whitney then somehow rang Ken in LC saying she was stuck and needed help.....oh, yea, because Sylvie flew off to the Orange Islands with Daisy on her Pidgeot. So Ken dated Whitney again. The idea was that everything would turn ugly, but it never did.

Blackjack Gabbiani
7th November 2004, 02:57 AM
About Obsession, since I really should be working on it...

-Jiri's mother originally refered to him as "Jiri-kun". I later realized how dumb that looked.

-Speaking of her, it took me forever to think of a name for her (I finally settled on "Gloria")

-And I think she would have a sort of Irish accent. Accents in that world seem to be random anyway (come on, Bill and Whitney being the ONLY people in Goldenrod with an Osaka accent?)

-I'm still debating if her being a healer is the real reason she was hated. I'm toying with the idea of it being something else entirely and Jiri just *thinking* it was that.

-Jiri's father, Corbin, as I recently said, looks like Reeve from FF7 in my mind. And no, I don't know why.

-"Corbin" means "Blackbird". I wanted something dealing with flight since he's an airship designer, but later realized it contrasted quite nicely with the 'white bird' of Jiri's memory. Isn't it great how things work out?

-Asaph (who hasn't shown up here yet, but is in the chapters posted on Bulbagarden) will cause the fic to go up in rating later, because his interest in Jiri will get progressively more intense.

-His name, by the way, means "collector".

-Veronica (whose parts I haven't even written yet!) I've always pictured looking like Diane from movie 6. Before I even ever saw a picture of Diane. So when I did, I was all "Woah! Veronica!"

-The first two chapters were written to be one, and then I realized it would be better to break them up, as my writing on this fic is *extremely* slow and requires me to be in a certain otherworldly mood.

-Said first two chapters were also written about a year and a half before the other ones.

-Music used to get in the proper mindset includes a great deal of Final Fantasy themes, including Relm's theme, Aria de Mezzo Caraterre, and the piano version of Memories of Life.

And now about some other fics:

-Amethyst Remembrance was written for my pal Latonya, who said she was going to close her Eldershippy site due to an arguement she had had with someone. So I told her I was going to write Elder-angst. A few days later, I had the whole thing planned out and she told me the site was staying up, so I offered to write something else, and she said basically 'the more deaths, the better'. And so I penned the infamous tale of tragedy in Pallet.

-Traitor, I think, is the first Execshippy fic ever. When I first considered the pairing, I said to myself "that's the sort of relationship that's doomed to go out in a hail of gunfire", and lo and behold...

-in Weakness, Domino was supposed to have a lot more dialogue, but instead I had the Boss cut her off before she could go off on the planned tangent. It had nothing to do with the story anyway.

-for Aftershock, I based it partly on a manga story that says how Giovanni got Persian (how that cat has managed to live so long is beyond me. It looked old when the Boss was a little kid--god only knows how old it is now. But that's game timeline--I think on the show, he got it a lot more recently)

-in Blitzkrieg, I made up some random initials for Surge. "R.F." were the first ones I could think of, and no, I don't think they stand for anything, so feel free to imagine what sort of doofy-ass name he could have. (like "Surge" isn't bad enough...)

-I have fan names for characters who aren't given one. Like Madame Boss is "Lucrezia", Bishasu is "Vincent" (although heaven help the poor sap who ever calls him that), etc.

-I also make up some random relations--Runaway is based entirely on my theory that Tyson (of the Rocket Silvers) is Oak's long-lost son and Gary's father. I haven't used this in a fic yet, but I also have a theory that Jun'ichi is Elm's nephew (based on nothing but a passing resemblance and them being from the same town. Sue me)

Drago
9th November 2004, 04:54 AM
Heh, this is a great idea Iveechan! Gives me a reason to dig through all of the chapters, lookin' for little tidbits of info.

Minty Thrill
A hell of a lot of nifty facts here and there, and writing them has made me kind of miss MT. Maybe someday I'll revise it, and actually finish it.
-The bonus chapter Leavesboat was completely written from my own experience on a cruise. In fact, I brought a notebook around with me everywhere I went, and wrote down the chapter as things progressed.
-I really hate chapter 35: Pains, Insanes & Automobiles. If I were to revise MT, I would scrap the entire chapter.
-The characters Tony, James, Chase, Kyle, Nicky, Amy were based on real people. The announcer for the ‘nome Dome was written with Bruce Campbell in mind. Similarly, Leaves is based on my first Pokemon (Venusaur).
-Before it gets anymore confusing, Tony’s dual-nationality is that he was born in Australia, and raised in Canada. Just like me. Tony refers to himself as Canadian more often however, because Canadians are more fun to make fun of. Admit it.
-Though it’s self-explanatory from his use of Light Screen, Leaves’ father was a Meganium.
-Meat of chapter 21 was named Meat for no other reason than to call the chapter ‘Meet Meat’.
-For the ‘lyric creation’ device of chapter 21, I merely took a sentence and ran it through a vocabulary improving website (can’t remember what), which thereby took the words and replaced them with more impressive ones.
-Around chapter 13 or so, I had planned on writing a massive movie-length chapter in which Tony discovered that Leaves was a Bulbasaur from the past, and the two travel back in time in order to right the wrongs that had been done to Leaves back in his existence. …I ended up scrapping that idea when I determined it too stupid, even by MT’s standards.
-The characters Fred and Lenny of chapter 29 (Skool) were named after my middle names (I have two), which explains their stark contrast in nature.
-There were exactly 100 chapters planned out. Chapters 39, 62 and 88 were going to be in Mini Mint format.
-I’ve always hated writing battles. Its hard to give it proper structure, and in many cases I got lazy. In the Cubone/Snorlax battle of chapter 17 (Nickelfinals), I took a battle I had written for a story from 1999, took out Pikachu/Venusaur, added in some extra stuff, and chucked it in. Keep in mind, I had written the original battle when I was eleven, proving how desperate I get.
-Additionally, most of the haunted house sections in chapter 30; Further Example of Random Horror, were directly stolen from a different story I had written.
-Before James and Chase were written off, it was planned that Tony would confess his love for Chase, only for her to reveal she has feelings only for James.
-Though the last chapter of MT before I bitched and moaned and asked Oz to close it was #36, The Molepeople, there was actually one more chapter written, called Gym Battle x2. In it, Tony arrived at a city divided into two, and fought two gym battles at once, running across the city to go from one to the other. It may be the funniest chapter I had written, in my opinion.
-All up, MT surpasses 110,000 words in total. (37 finished chapters) Hey, I thought it was a fun fact. :heh:
NEW -Only reason I added in Doom the Breloom was because of a picture I had seen in FanArt (I think it was done by Iveechan, actually) of a Breloom strummin' a banjo. I only then realised just how nifty Breloom is.

Howl in the Dark
Obviously little to be said here, as I’ve only made the first chapter. Regardless…
-I had originally written HITD with the intention of its central character being Sun, an Ivysaur I had RP’ed in Pokebabies, but decided that having Leaves in one fic was enough ‘saury goodness.
-Denshi Chyzhnakopf was by no means then, a spur of the moment character. I had been writing up a completely different fic for Denshi about a year ago, which took place in post-apocalyptic Russia. I based a lot of the action upon Tom Clancy’s work, but found that it was too complex for a Pokemon fic. When Sun was removed from HITD, Denshi made for a logical replacement, and with him came the title from the fic I had intended to make for him.
-Casting certain Pokemon into roles has been very meticulous in order to create the best combination. I actually took every single Pokemon, analysed them, and made eliminations for final casting. I keep that list as reference for any future fics, it’s over 100 pages long. ...No, I don't have a life.