PDA

View Full Version : EX cards are rigged

.hacker
17th July 2004, 10:53 PM
I'm what you would call an old-school player, using classic Hitmonchans, Scythers, Electabuzzes, and Wigglytuffs from the first two sets. Today, after a year of retirement, went to a tournament and faced the unbelivable. First, a Pincer with a Poke-body ability to reduce 30 points for any attack. To make matters worse, I saw a Wigglytuff Ex card. My god, it has 100 hp, does 30 points of damage and can put you to sleep for two energy. At last, but not least, for three energies, it has a modified Do The Way attack, with a base attack of 30 points, plus 10 points for each benched pokemon. That puts the juggle Wigglytuff to shame. When I was a serious player, cards like that would be rigged.

Water Pokemon Master
17th July 2004, 11:46 PM
We know, we know. Practically everyone hates EX Pokemon. I think Nintendo of Japan realized what they did by creating these monsters and are doing everything they can to power them down. Many cards don't let you do anything good to an EX, and there is a Stadium card they put out that does 10 to them every turn. Hopefully, EX's will dissapear in a few sets.

Roarkiller
17th July 2004, 11:52 PM
Everyone hates it, yet everyone uses it.

The good news is that most arent that good, and that there r more than a few cards that can take up the challenge any day. For example, altho my sceptile deck has 2 sceptile-ex, its strictly only for backup purposes, and i hardly use them anyway. The holo sceptile is MUCH better, and can take on anything from gardevoir-ex to kingdra-ex to even blaziken-ex, and i have the proof for it too.

.hacker
18th July 2004, 12:05 AM
If I saw the cards correctly, if you defeat an ex cards, you can draw two prizes instead of one. The tricky part is doing it. For instance, I saw an Ex card with 150 HP! That is unheard of in the classic sets.

A question I have to ask is if there is anyway to shut down Poke body abilities? They don't work like Pokemon powers. Is there a trainer card that can do it?

Rabid_Cow
18th July 2004, 12:05 AM
I really dislike the EX cards myself and I don't use em. I have a fighting/water deck myself and it uses 4 Hitmonchan, all of which aren't EX Hitmonchan (I have 4 in my collection though). I personally think that the EX cards are too powerful, but I like my base set Hitmons way more. I think they're gonna be outta the sets soon because some local tourneys that I've attended have even gone so far as to ban them from decks.

I personally think that even if you lose without usin EX cards you have at least gone down with dignity. If this was in comparison to a Pokemon Game Boy game, the players that use only EX's are like n00bs that use only legendaries.

.hacker
18th July 2004, 12:14 AM
I agree. The Ex cards deserve to be banned. I admit I lost the tourney. But what bothered me is that its the first time in the tcg series to have an absolute advantage by one set of cards over the game. For those who played Magic, in the first sets ever realized contained some of the greatest cards ever. However, the company realized that these cards just were too powerful and were instantly pulled. Ex cards just makes the game unfair and worse, no fun to play.

Razola
18th July 2004, 12:48 AM
EX cards should be good if they are evolutions. Evolutions take time and cards to put into play, and inherently should rule the best basic pokemon.

Not that Nintendo wants to give this game any sort of balance.

Water Pokemon Master
18th July 2004, 03:17 AM
If you think 150 HP is high, then you have never heard of a little card called Wailord ex. :)

Nintendo of Japan is working on the EX problem from what I have heard. The ex's in the last Deoxys set pretty much sucked, and the regular Pokemon cards ruled. I am sure they will be gone soon and that they are only a stage of the game.

darktyranitar
18th July 2004, 08:38 AM
Altough Ex Pokemon have high HP, like RK said most are not too good. I have a Suicune Ex, and I don't usually use it as the main hitter, just for back hitter.

Also, there are a few cards to counter the Ex, like Shedinja, SS Wobbuffet, HL Machamp etc. Also, a few trainer cards that are good like Life Herb(Can remove 6 damage counter and special condition) can't be used for Ex Pokemon.

Alec Trevelyan
18th July 2004, 03:04 PM
i like EX cards, but the worst part of modified is the winning conditions: the player which evolves first his EX pokemon basically wins the game... try to win a blaziken EX w/ 4 fire energies + 2 blaziken on the bench... but blasty ex will shut down this stuff

Tyranitar#248
18th July 2004, 04:49 PM
Im actually surprised EX's are starting to die down. I was at the East Coast Stadium Challenge yesterday and Blaziken EX was un-heard of, out of 100 and some peeps only a few played him. Water and Psychic appear to be running rampant. What I n00b I am, I went in with a Charizard deck. I actually think it would have done quite well, but all the decks were water decks there. I saw very few EX, and when I did see them they weren't that bad to take down. LOL on another note I won the Most Broken Card in the create a card contest with a card called Broken EX, I got 3 packs out if it so I'm happy :lol: .

Water Pokemon Master
18th July 2004, 05:20 PM
Was the Water/Psychic deck involving Gorebyss at all? Gorebyss seems to be very popular lately because of that psychic energy attack it has.

Roarkiller
19th July 2004, 06:28 AM
Im actually surprised EX's are starting to die down. I was at the East Coast Stadium Challenge yesterday and Blaziken EX was un-heard of, out of 100 and some peeps only a few played him. Water and Psychic appear to be running rampant. What I n00b I am, I went in with a Charizard deck. I actually think it would have done quite well, but all the decks were water decks there. I saw very few EX, and when I did see them they weren't that bad to take down. LOL on another note I won the Most Broken Card in the create a card contest with a card called Broken EX, I got 3 packs out if it so I'm happy :lol: .

Wouldve won that if i was there.

Anyway, i say this; the only advantage these guys have is higher HP than their normal counterparts. And even 150 aint that high (juz 30 over chansey), and most r for backup, not to mention their ridiculous energy costs (most).

Trust me, theres nothing incredible bout them ex.

Water Pokemon Master
19th July 2004, 07:17 AM
What about Blastoise ex and Charizard ex, RK? Those are pretty incredible to me. :) Blastoise ex's power and attack are totally broken, along with Charizard ex's 200 damage nothing-will-effect-this-200-damage attack. Those two will probably be the last good EX's released.

Roarkiller
19th July 2004, 10:23 AM
What about Blastoise ex and Charizard ex, RK? Those are pretty incredible to me. :) Blastoise ex's power and attack are totally broken, along with Charizard ex's 200 damage nothing-will-effect-this-200-damage attack. Those two will probably be the last good EX's released.

To be honest, i dont really see that much good in both. Charizard is obvious, to discard so much for an amountof damage (of which bout half will most prolly go to waste anyway) aint very alluring. And putting damage on the pkmn u attach energy to (and for every energy i believe) is not exactly my cup of tea either, in the case of blastoise ex. Theres prolly a combo for it, but until then, these 2 dont bother me much.

In fact, the best ive seen is prolly still gardy ex and wiggly ex (w/o combos).

Water Pokemon Master
19th July 2004, 05:49 PM
Blastoise ex does 80 damage for 3W, 1C and has your opponent discard energy for each heads you get. Plus, it has 150 HP, so powering it up quickly with the power for 40 damage wouldn't be too bad since you can do a constant 80 plus make your opponent not have enough energy to attack. I would say that is VERY good.

Tyranitar#248
20th July 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Gorebyss was very popular there. Its interesting, I wouldnt mine trying to get back into pokemon, but there are too many other games I am interested in right now. It seems as though certain deck types run rampant, is that how it is?

Water Pokemon Master
20th July 2004, 07:01 PM
It used to be Blaziken, Blaziken, and Blaziken. However, now there have been a ton of different kinds of decks. Plus, with EX R/S, we will be seing TONS of different types of decks.

Tyranitar#248
20th July 2004, 11:49 PM
Well I heard about Charizard EX and Blastoise, so that makes me kinda happy. Old school poke's for all! I try to build decks out of all the old ones, because they will always be the coolest.