PDA

View Full Version : To use, or not to use

DannyBoy
20th July 2004, 12:27 AM
Something has been bugging me lately and that is the use of overused pokemon in fics. So I took the time to make a basic list of under used and over used. You are welcome to add some but to me these are the top 15 of each.

Overused

1. Torchic
2. Mudkip
3. Treecko
4. Bulbasaur
5. Squirtle
6. Charmander
7. Cyndaquil
8. Totodile
9. Chickorita
10. Pikachu
11. Pidgey
12. Mewtwo
13. Clefairy
14. Larvitar
15. Dratini

Underused

1. Ekans
2. Koffing
3. Clampearl
4. Bellsprout
5. Seviper
6. Whismur
7. Tropius
8. Zubat
9. Ledyba
10. Sudowoodo
11. Hoppip
12. Sunkern
13. Rattata
14. Spearow
15. Diglett

All listed names include their evolved forms but I think you get the picture. This can help you for when you write a fic or plan on getting new pokes into your fic and whether you should use a certain one or not. Again, add what you think, this is only one opinion.

Gavin Luper
20th July 2004, 12:38 AM
Good point, I agree with all of them, actually, though I can't say I have a clue what some of the Advance ones are.

Some more overused Pokemon:
Eevee.
Electabuzz.

Sometimes the overuse of Eevees and their evos can drive a reader insane. If you're going to use an Eevee in your fic, make it have a good personality, or something, like in Nikko to Gekko. Also, Electabuzz has been really used a lot in fics, so watch out if you're going to use one!

Some underused ones:
Aipom
Stantler
Wooper
Girafarig

I like these pokes, but they hardly ever get used!

mr_pikachu
20th July 2004, 12:57 AM
Here's some that I think are underused.

Magikarp
Lapras
Slugma/Magcargo

Then there's the Hoenn Pokemon that have been used a few times already:

Spinda
Luvdisc

And the regular overused ones...

Ditto
Mewtwo
Mew
Ho-oh
Lugia
The legendary birds
The legendary dogs

Oddly enough, I disagree with you completely about Rattata and Spearow being underused, ImmortalDreams. I actually think they're overused. In almost every trainer fic I see, the beginning starts with some Rattata, a couple of Spearow, and a capture of one (or both) of them. But that may just be my take on things.

Gavin Luper
20th July 2004, 01:25 AM
In what trainer fics has the trainer caught a Rattata or Spearow? I've seen it once or twice in my time, but more often than not, Rattata and Spearow are quite ignored. There'd probably be enormous potential for character development for both of them, though, but yeah, I think they're quite underused.

DannyBoy
20th July 2004, 01:41 AM
Well it depends on whos view. Some may see Charmander as a underused. ZThats why you can discuss that but the only time I've seen a Spearow is with Faith in my new fic. Only time I have saw it. But you may have seen it several times in a variety of fics.

mr_pikachu
20th July 2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Gavin Luper

In what trainer fics has the trainer caught a Rattata or Spearow? I've seen it once or twice in my time, but more often than not, Rattata and Spearow are quite ignored. There'd probably be enormous potential for character development for both of them, though, but yeah, I think they're quite underused.

I'll give a recent example for each of the two.

Spearow was seen and caught in one of the first few chapters in Airen's Darkfire: Kanto, which is currently on the second page. And a huge group of Rattata (and a Raticate) played a large part in the latest chapter of Rocky Cliffs' Unexpected Journey: Kanto. Notice a pattern developing here? Though none of the Rattata were captured, they were the focus of that chapter's plot, and Raticate was captured.

I'll say this: Most of our more experienced writers stay away from Rattata and Spearow (and their evolutions). But writers new to the boards use one of these two practically without fail, IMO.

Chris 2.1
20th July 2004, 05:20 AM
I think Rattata and Spearow are rarely used. The reason being that in many trainer fics, the kid chooses a RBY/GSC/RSE starter, then catches something like a Dratini or Larvitar on the route just outside their house.

Generally, Pokemon that are popular in the games are popular in Fanfic, as many Trainer Fics are written from people who clock up 5,0000 hours on Ruby or Sapphire.

I haven't actually seen very many Hoenn reigon Fanfics, IIRC, they're just not very big.

But you must remember that if everyone starts using underused Pokemon, then they will soon become overused. I have to admit, the lineup for a Trainer Fic of mine in development seems to have neither OU or UU Pokemon.

Overused:
Taillow/Swellow
Electrike/Manectric

Dragonfree
20th July 2004, 07:52 AM
You haven't seen many Hoenn fanfics, Chris, but I mod fanfics over at the serebiiforums, and trust me, every other fic is a trainer fic that happens in Hoenn, usually about somebody who starts with a Torchic, and usually there's a partner or two taking Treecko and/or Mudkip too. Most of them are really poor quality too, but that's another story...

I don't like the whole "overused Pokémon" deal, though. Think it this way: Humans are overused. They're in every single trainer fic, and not just one; usually all the actual characters are humans. THAT's overused. But people don't call humans overused, do they? Nope, because the humans are usually characters with feelings so they don't feel like "oh, not another human" when they are introduced. Pokémon shouldn't be flat enough to feel like "oh, not another (insert species here)". I won't like a fic with Pokébots any more if the Pokébots happen to be Hoppip and Sunkern rather than Eevee and Charmander, you know.

Whisper in the Wind
20th July 2004, 08:27 AM
Well, on overused Pokemon I'm told Scyther is an overused Pokemon (and as far as Pokemon caught in the early goings I'd assume Butterfree is). And is Lapras really that UU? I would've expected it to be higly OU but oh well.

ChicRocketJames
20th July 2004, 09:10 AM
Really, who cares about how overused a Pokemon is? What counts is what use the author makes of it in their particular fic: what personality and storyline they give it. Creative, imaginative writing can make any Pokemon interesting, no matter how many times the species has appeared in other fics, but even the most original lineup of Pokemon will be dull if you don't make them good characters.

Chris 2.1
20th July 2004, 09:23 AM
That's true: Nobody bashes Captain Pringle for having a Meganium and a Dragonite...

Ozandrew's fanfic has a Bayleef and Quilava, and there was a Torchic in, too.

As long as the writers can pull it off, you could have a LEGENDARY team....ok...no...wait...ok forget that ^^;;

Oakbark
20th July 2004, 03:51 PM
Underused pokemon:

The slowpoke family.
Chinchou family.
Weaker bugs in general (like Weedle, Ledyba as above, Spinarak....)
Fish like Goldeen (they can be used with a lil imagination!)

Overused pokemon:

Flying types like Taillow that are usually the second/third addition to a trainers team.
Stronger bugs like Scyther and Scizor.
The Team Rocket pokemon (Koffing, ekans, etc.)
Meowth (he doesnt need to be a able to speak human talk - make an original one with unique personality!)

Tainted
20th July 2004, 09:48 PM
Really, who cares about how overused a Pokemon is? What counts is what use the author makes of it in their particular fic: what personality and storyline they give it. Creative, imaginative writing can make any Pokemon interesting, no matter how many times the species has appeared in other fics, but even the most original lineup of Pokemon will be dull if you don't make them good characters.

Limed for agreement. Would you rather have an ultra-original line-up that is flat, without personality, or an overused pokemon that is vivid and full of life and realism. Honestly, I could care less if the pokemon is a Mewtwo or a Weedle, as long as it's portrayed with adequate personality traits and so on. As long as it's not an overpowered beast of a pokemon, I'm alright with it-- but remember, in the hands of a bad writer, a Weedle can be just as overpowered as a Mewtwo.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

mr_pikachu
20th July 2004, 11:00 PM
As long as it's not an overpowered beast of a pokemon, I'm alright with it-- but remember, in the hands of a bad writer, a Weedle can be just as overpowered as a Mewtwo.

Um... I think you just insulted Gavin, there... *points to the epic Weedle vs. Dragonite clash in Lisa the Legend* :sweat2: Heads will roll! :rotfl:

Now that I think of it, almost every Pokemon Ash has ever owned has been overused to some extent. From the obvious starters, to Butterfree and the Pidgey family, and finally to Pikachu himself, writers abound have used these Pokemon time and time again. Of course, they're usually newbie writers, but still, the point stands.

Chris 2.1
21st July 2004, 05:53 AM
Although they pulled some surprises with Corphish and Torkoal, certainly.

Although Oakbark, I'll be honest, I never see Meowth or the TR Pokemon (Koffing/Weezing, Ekans/Arbok) much in fanfics. Maybe I don't read many....

:-/

Gavin Luper
22nd July 2004, 04:27 AM
Hehe ... yeah well that Weedle battle was a long time ago ... ehehe... I still love reading it though, it was so fun to write!

Anyway, I suppose as long as the pokemon have an interesting character, it will all work out fine though. The problem is that many writers, like myself, don't really spend much time characterising pokemon, so the moment a reader sees the word "Eevee" or "Bulbasaur", they won't want to know what's coming next.

Hmmm ... I need to work on that ...

Tainted
22nd July 2004, 11:18 AM
Um... I think you just insulted Gavin, there... *points to the epic Weedle vs. Dragonite clash in Lisa the Legend* :sweat2: Heads will roll! :rotfl:

I hadn't known. Sorry if I offended you, Mr. Luper, or whatever, but I haven't read said story, so I wouldn't know if it were truly overpowering the Weedle-- or it was just a *cough* coincidence that he won.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Toxicity
22nd July 2004, 11:52 AM
Here's my list of Pokemon overused, underused, whatever.

Overused:
Starters in the games(as in Torchic, Pikachu, etc.)
Bird pokemon such as Pidgey and Tailow and their evolutions(I'm not sure about Swablu)
Dratini
Larvitar
Legends(not really caught by trainers, but whatever)
Eevee/Espeon/Umbreon(anybody with a Vaporeon anymore?)
Some Pokemon within the Humanshape egg group(mostly Electabuzz)

Much Underused:
Insects usually caught early in the games(Caterpie, Weedle, Spinarak, Ledyba, Wurmple...maybe Venonat)
Most aquatic Pokemon which are awkward on land(Lapras, Seel, any fish, etc.)
Any plantoid Pokemon(Oddish, Bellsprout, Hoppip, etc.)
Some hooved Pokemon(Not sure if Miltank or Tauros fit in the catagory, but Stantler, Girafarig, and possibly Ponyta would)
Rattata
Spearow

Pokemon not seen much now, but might someday be considered Overused:
Absol(In fact, I'm writing a fanfic now involving a girl and her Absol)
Electrike
Spinda
Luvdisc

But that's my opinion, so it doesn't apply...

Whisper in the Wind
26th July 2004, 04:20 PM
Are twins Overused, I mean Twin Pokemon like:

Plusle & Minun
Volbeat & Illuminise
Gorebyss & Huntail
Nidoran M & F (And the evolutions)
Ninjask & Shedinja (Well, clones of each other sorta)