PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Top 10 best...

Pig on the Wing
20th July 2004, 05:39 PM
I was wondering, who you people thing the 'best' guitarists in a sense are. So, basically (alive or dead) who do you think the 10 best guitarists are? Mine, in no particular order:

1 ~ Jimi Hendrix
2 ~ Slash
3 ~ David Gilmour
4 ~ Brian May
5 ~ Carlos Santana
6 ~ Richie Sambora
7 ~ David Murray
8 ~ Kirk Hammett
9 ~ Kurt Cobain
10 ~ Jimmy Page

APC
20th July 2004, 07:08 PM
not too bad of a list just a few names on there that should be no where near anyone's top ten. Who in their right mind would put Kurt Cobain in the top ten or anywhere near the top ten for guitarists???? He was one of the more brilliant song writers, but even Jerry Cantrell of AIC thought he was a terrible guitarist. Also, Richie Sambora is a decent guitarist but he's more known for his hit songs (living on a prayer, you give love a bad name) than his guitar playing. Now here's my list of guitarists also with some of their best albums next to their name:
1. Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland
2. Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin IV, Presence
3. Eric Clapton - Slowhand, Eric Clapton, Unplugged, Fresh Cream, the list just goes on.
4. Eddie Van Halen - 1984, Van Halen, 5150
5. Mick Bolton - Strangers in the Night, Obsession
6. Yngwie Malmstein - Rising Force, Trilogy
7. Joe Satriani - Not of this Earth, Flying in a blue dream, Time Machine
8. Steve Vai - Flex-able, Passion and Warfare
9. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood, In Step
10. Tony Iommi/Randy Rhoads/Zakk Wylde - all of ozzy's guitarists were incredible so i couldn't rule one out over the other

well theres my list and i'm sticking to it

Zak
20th July 2004, 07:30 PM
This seems like a poll. *Moves*

As for the poll... I don't really have a favorite guitarist, since I don't know of too many, heh.

~Zak

Gengachu
20th July 2004, 11:59 PM
I don't really care about how great your guitarist is. Unless his work goes well with the rest of the band it doesn't matter. I think the sound as a whole is more important than the individual parts.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
21st July 2004, 04:13 AM
I can't come up with a top 10, I don't know enough guitarists. I can only present you a top three.

1.) Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Probably the fastest guitarist around, he sure knows how to string a tune.
2.) Brian May - From Queen, a true legend
3.) Andy LaRocque - King Diamond's guitarist, excellence performances.

Yoh Asakura
21st July 2004, 12:24 PM
Can;t pick 10 but I have a joint 1st.

Slash - Guns N' Roses
Brian May - Queen

Best in the world, ever.

Leon-IH
22nd July 2004, 10:45 PM
only 1, hendrix aka god..

if we were talking bass as well i'd find the name of the dude from primus

Gengachu
23rd July 2004, 12:47 AM
Les Claypool is his name.

Pig on the Wing
23rd July 2004, 08:03 AM
Can;t pick 10 but I have a joint 1st.

Slash - Guns N' Roses
Brian May - Queen

Best in the world, ever.

?

I'd sort of agree, but you need to listen to Pink Floyd to get an idea of how great David Gilmour is, easily better than those two.
Plus, you need to listen to The Jimi Hendrix Experience; Hendrix is da best, no question. He just had to die didn't he... :cry:

phaedrus
24th July 2004, 08:20 AM
1. The Hendrix himself.
2. BB King
3. Slash
4. Eric Clapton
5a. Angus Young (AC/DC)
5b. John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
6. Brian May (Queen)

Kurt Cobain sucked ass. He was only mediocre.

You all probably don't know why the hell I picked John Frusciante. Listen to RHCP's latest LP, and his solo works. Quite good. Don't forget the BloodSugarSexMagik LP. Under The Bridge, namely. Some the the best guitar work I've heard. :)

EDIT: Flea is the only good bassist out there. 'nuff said.
EDIT2: Forgot Angus Young. Stupid me.