PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Symphonia

Razola
19th July 2004, 12:53 AM
Why has no one mentioned this game? It's AWESOME.

Last Exile
19th July 2004, 01:45 AM
Because of something overrated called Final Fantasy.

I've read and seen some of it, and it looks great. I might get this, if it actually is available in Australia, because I've never seen a copy here. :sweat:

It is a good RPG, but unfortuantely Final Fantasy swamps exposure over other RPGs simply because:

1. It's Final Fantasy
2. It's Sony

Red Angel
19th July 2004, 01:50 AM
How about because I don't have a GC?

Now where are my GBA ports of the earlier Tales games? Hint, hint Namco?

PNT510
19th July 2004, 02:19 AM
Because of something overrated called Final Fantasy.

I've read and seen some of it, and it looks great. I might get this, if it actually is available in Australia, because I've never seen a copy here. :sweat:

It is a good RPG, but unfortuantely Final Fantasy swamps exposure over other RPGs simply because:

1. It's Final Fantasy
2. It's Sony
Because games like Fable, Dragon Quest/Warrior, Xenosaga, KOTOR, and Pokemon are totally overlooked because of Final Fantasy.

My friend got TOS and from the 30 seconds of me watching him play it looked pretty good. I think I'll be picking my copy up in 2 weeks when I next get payed.

Lord Necrodain
19th July 2004, 09:02 AM
I'm too busy playing it to talk about it.

Plus, whenever I go into a discussion about a game I haven't beaten, some inconsiderate person will inevitably spoil a massive portion of the plot with no suitable warning (not referring to this topic or anybody in it). I try to avoid discussions on the game until I've beaten it, and I know I'm not the only person who does this. Given that ToS is, by most estimates, a 40 hour game, and it only came out last week, I don't think too many people have beaten it yet.

The game is really fun. The battle system is fast-paced and very interactive. Most enemies and bosses can be defeated using the same combo attacks, the fun, rather, is in figuring out when you can execute those attacks, since different enemies will counter-attack is different ways if you attack at the wrong time (one particular boss I can think of will hit you in the middle of your attack for 400+ damage, which HURTS at that point). Generally speaking, though, you can do pretty well by going combo-guard-combo-guard and so on.

I haven't gotten to try the multiplayer, but apparently it's kind of a pain, because the camera always focuses on player 1, even if at the expense of the other players.

Did anybody get the Art Book and lithograph you could get for preordering the game? The Art Book is great, although the character biographies in it spoil some of the plot, Still, for those who didn't get it, it's just a book of pictures with a few one page character bios, nice to look at, but ultimately, you're not mising much.

I'm still a long way from having it beaten, this is only my opinion so far.

kalad1
19th July 2004, 05:51 PM
It's games like this that make me think that Square and Sony are putting pressure on the media to keep quiet. To be frank, I feel that with the exception of FFTactics Advance and FFXI(not a true final fantasy), All the Final Fantasies after IX were crap, so, when a game like this comes out, I question how square stays on top.

Musourenka
20th July 2004, 02:26 AM
I was too lazy to make a thread. That's why it hadn't been mentioned until now. Sorry, Raz.

42:26, and I still haven't beaten it. Seems pretty long and it is fun, but it's a bit tedious at times. Voice acting is excellent, and the music is great, too (though we are talking about Motoi Sakuraba here, and he did compose the Golden Sun soundtrack). I also have the artbook in my possession.

I have successfully pulled off a 67-hit combo. I am so proud. 8)

Anjana's Halo
20th July 2004, 08:10 PM
I have a problem with my game.

I'm just about to go fight the boss of the Fire Seal. However, the second character in a fight doesn't do anything. He or she just stands there. This goes for anyone in the second slot. Restarting doesn't help, and when I started a new game, there was no problem in it. And I can't think of anything I did that gave the second slot the command 'Just stand there.'

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Lord Necrodain
20th July 2004, 08:36 PM
Go to "Tech" on the menu and go to that character. In the upper-right it should say Manual, Semi-Auto and Auto. It must be set to Auto for the computer to take control. On Manual or Semi-Auto it thinks you're playing multiplayer, so it'll wait for player 2 to take control of the character. It's possible you accidentally set it off Auto when browsing the tech screen without noticing. The only character(s) not on Auto should be the one(s) you're controlling yourself or with friends.

Of course, if the character is set to Auto already, then I have no idea what the problem is.

Anjana's Halo
20th July 2004, 09:20 PM
Shoot, that was the problem. I didn't even think about looking at that.

Thanks a lot. ^_^

Razola
20th July 2004, 10:19 PM
You might have noticed the threads have been merged.

This is because a certain someone can't be bothered to look for similar threads.

Let's call her A. Halo.

No, that's too obvious.

How about Anjana H.

Powarun
20th July 2004, 11:10 PM
TOS, is a very fun game, but I sort of bought to many games at once, which is a bit confusing to play all at once. And the thing is I mainly bought RPG's adn as we all know they take a while to complete. I love the graphics of the game, and the splendor of playing it. At first the plto sort of seemed like something from a final fantasy game, tehn after finding out about the human ranch I was well, a bit psyched. And out of pure curisoity, would it that be a spoiler? I wouldn't think so because it is found so early in teh plot.

Razola
21st July 2004, 12:59 AM
It's mentioned in the opening cinema, so hell no.

I wish there was an RPG that was a parody of RPGs. I grow tired of these quests where I am "Teh Ch0s3n" and save the world...

...from DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

HbCharizard
21st July 2004, 01:37 AM
I've beaten the game, and I personally love it. As much as I love Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Fire Emblem.

Besides, 11% of why I like this game is that they reconize cliche's! Such as......I can't think of any parts now, but they do! Plus they got a little girl with a huge ax, a ninja, a main character with 2 kewl looking swords, and so many friggin plot twists that'll make an little boy cry, Waitaminute...it did. Heh.

Musourenka
21st July 2004, 12:08 PM
So there IS an end to the game? I'm 52:14 into it, and still not at the end.

Ridiculous.

Kojiro
21st July 2004, 12:11 PM
Is that a bad thing for it to not be over that far into it?

YAy! I am getting it friday probably, and was wondering what the music is like, is it classical, jazzy, rock-and-roll, or what?

Musourenka
21st July 2004, 09:00 PM
Mostly classical, except for the battle themes, which have an 80s-ish feel. Lots of synth. If you've played Golden Sun before, you probably know what to expect.

classy_cat18
23rd July 2004, 10:09 PM
I can't believe I don't have the dough to buy this game! None of my relatives dished out any birthday money yet! But I heard the guy who did the character designs also helped out in the anime Ah My Goddess! I haven't gotten any games in quite a while, so it's between this and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Razola
25th July 2004, 07:58 PM
This is like 20-30 more dollars than Mario & Luigi. It shouldn't be hard to afford both.