PDA

View Full Version : Haven't Played the Pokemon TCG in a while...

char120
20th July 2004, 10:08 PM
I have read the posts about some of the new sets being broken and kinda overpowered and that Nintendo is now making the cards. What I wanna know is are there are changes to the rules or restrictions on certain cards? And what would be the best set to get to catch up, I have a fire/electric deck just to let you know.

Roarkiller
21st July 2004, 09:28 AM
TPM ni irasshaimase.
*Welcome to TPM*

Dark and metal only work on their pkmn type; otherwise, theyre juz treated as colorless energy i.e. none of the special effects apply unless its of the same type.

Confusion damage is 30. But u can retreat w/o flipping. And btw, u can only retreat once per turn.

The 'broken' cards r Ex cards and have higher than normal HP, at least compared to their counterparts. But dont worry, theyre not invincible, and lots of other non-ex pkmn rstronger than them.

Alec Trevelyan
21st July 2004, 11:16 AM
Welcome comrade! Well, all stuff RK said is right, nintendo has changed the game for better, no doubt! I'm glad to see that every day more and more players are getting back to TCG and TPM, or some are new here, like you ^_^

char120
21st July 2004, 07:42 PM
Hmm, EX pokemon. I think I remember seeing something about them having like 200 HP and not much energies to do damage. THe last time I played was around Neo Revelations and I barely played at all by then. Is there a program for Pokemon TCG games online like YVD for YGO? And is there a place I could see some of the new cards just to get a taste of what new cards have come out?

Water Pokemon Master
22nd July 2004, 01:48 AM
Good to see more people coming back....again. :)

Here are the rules that were changed by Nintendo:
http://www.pokebeach.com/nintendoplayingrules.shtml

And yes, there is a program for the Pokemon TCG that you can used called Apprentice. You can download it below with the patch and everything.:
http://www.pokebeach.com/apprentice/Apprentice.zip

darktyranitar
23rd July 2004, 05:19 AM
Good to see more people coming to this part of forum.

Regarding of ex Pokemon, there are a few cards that is designed to beat ex Pokemon. For example, Wobbuffet from Ex Sandstorm can't be affected by an attack from Ex Pokemon. Also, Machamp from Ex Hidden Legend can deal up to 120 damage to an Ex Pokemon.

Also, since you haven't played from Neo Revelation, you may not know about Poke-Power and Poke-Body. Poke-Power are Pokemon Power that you can choose to use in a turn, like Blastoise Rain Dance. A Poke-Body is a Pokemon Power that activate itself once it enter into play, like Muk Toxic Gas.

Water Pokemon Master
23rd July 2004, 05:27 AM
Poke-Powers are Pokemon Powers that you can choose to use in a turn, like Blastoise's Rain Dance. A Poke-Body is a Pokemon Power that activates itself once it enter into play, like Muk's Toxic Gas.

Wow, I didn't even know that. :o Guess you learn something every day. :D

Roarkiller
23rd July 2004, 10:47 AM
Also note that bodies cant be affected by any special effects like sleep, paralyze etc. And that includes some poke-powers as well, but only cuz its impossible for the situation to take place (power only working when on the bench, only once when it came into play, etc).

char120
28th July 2004, 01:35 PM
So do you have no choice but to activate Pke-Bodies when the Pokemon comes into play? And does the Poke-Body last for the whole time the Pokemon is in play or just once? And Water I downloaded Apprentice but I can't find the pokemon patch. WHere can I get it?

Roarkiller
30th July 2004, 05:55 AM
So do you have no choice but to activate Pke-Bodies when the Pokemon comes into play? And does the Poke-Body last for the whole time the Pokemon is in play or just once? And Water I downloaded Apprentice but I can't find the pokemon patch. WHere can I get it?

U dont crack ur head over this, its all clear when u read the txt anyway.

But juz to inform u anyway, bodies r in effect ALL the time, while powers r those that r activated. When u can activated, depends on the power.

mr_pikachu
30th July 2004, 12:11 PM
I've got a question about the "one switch per turn" rule. Does that apply to all switches, or just the ones where you manually retreat? For instance, could I bring a Scyther back to switch it with Kangaskhan, and then swap Kangaskhan with Scyther (or something else) using a Switch card? I'd like a little clarification on that, if you don't mind. Thanks. :)

Jedi
30th July 2004, 12:50 PM
It's not actually a 1 switch per turn, it's 1 retreat. Switch and other trainers don't count as retreating.

mr_pikachu
30th July 2004, 01:06 PM
Okay, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up. :yes:

And what cards exactly are more powerful than the EX Pokemon? I sure haven't seen any... :confused:

Jedi
31st July 2004, 12:33 AM
well, the ex pokemon vary, some are good, some are so so. There's not really any super great normal pokemon that are way better then ex. There's some good ones though, like there's a couple good delcatty, gardevoir, blaziken, the magneton in dragon. When you compare a normal card and an EX pokemon, you need to factor in the 2 prize differnince. Your opponent taking those 2 prizes instead of 1 can decide games. EX aren't just super strong pokemon, they have that drawback. The EX are good, but you can make decks without them.

Roarkiller
31st July 2004, 01:39 AM
And what cards exactly are more powerful than the EX Pokemon? I sure haven't seen any... :confused:

Not many ppl do, but thats cuz they copy other ppl's decks (usually the standard archetypes) instead of thinking up of an original deck idea. Luckily for me, i can. My own deck, juz so u know, is centered on holo sceptile. Yes i got sceptile ex, but its strictly only for backup purposes, and after playing with it, isnt that strong either.

And it can trash the normal "strong" ex pkmn like gardevoir, blaziken and kingdra. Either from weakness, resistance, or simply dumping status on them (sceptile is the king of status right now).

char120
1st August 2004, 05:01 PM
So where do I get the Pokemon patch for Apprentice? I really want to play, as I dont know anyone who plays RL pokemon. Thanks.

Jedi
1st August 2004, 11:23 PM
I'd assume it's included with that apprentice link blastoise gave. The patch alone was on the forum, although last i knew, he made you register to get it..

Roarkiller
2nd August 2004, 06:17 AM
Blame the guy who provided the forum, not the webmaster. Apparently he's a worse pkmn fanatic that WPM.